Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What Clemson Basketball is
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

What Clemson Basketball is

Feb 2, 2014, 9:30 AM

right now.

They are an incredibly good defensive team. They smother and contest.

They are Not a very good offensive team.
I don't place the blame on Brownlee. Here's why:

Rarely do they get their motion sets moving before somebody pulls up for a long and early three. Our "bigs" who are all raw, don't post up very well and that results in very little inside out, or even interior entry passes. The only method we have of entering the paint is to have KJ or one of the guards drive the ball in. Unfortunately, KJ is the only one who is excellent in that regard. Rod Hall, Jordan Roper and Adonis are too small to consistently create penetration resulting in a basket. Blossomgame is still coming on.

Look at some of the players that Brown-L has brought in recently: Djambo, Djitte, Noko, etc.

These guys are raw talent. They are supposed to give us more length and interior presence. They hustle their butts off, they rebound, they run, they defend, and they block. The problem is that they haven't established themselves as shooters or intimidating post players.

I think they will. I still love the discipline of the team. I think Brownell's gameplan has the potential to be viable through the tournament.

They are a just a short bit away. Develop an offensive identity with the continued development of the "trees". Make sure your players are running their sets and not pulling the trigger early, or shooting low percentage shots. Get those bigs to assert their will in the post. Keep shooting free throws at a high level.

I know these defensive slugfests aren't glamorous, but defense is what has us where we are. Still on the bubble.

Hang in there with Brownlee and this bunch. If the man has the time and his players keep developing, we may see the days where our opponents cant muster more than 50 points, but instead of beating them by 3 points, we are beating them by 20. In the cases of games like Pitt and NC, we would still be in the game. You can't shut down everyone all the time and your offense has to be able to force it's identity on any team and any style defense.

I look forward to those days. These 50 point nailbiters are pushing me towards a coronary.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What Clemson Basketball is

Feb 2, 2014, 10:00 AM

LOved your post and agree all the way with it!!!

Feb 2, 2014, 11:08 AM

Perhaps you were 'funnin' us basketball fan but it's BROWNELL (BROWN L). I agree with what you say. The loss to FSU last month at home was very embarrassing but a different team showed up in Tally yesterday. Obviously Coach B told McD to go out and win the game for us and he was talented enough and focused enough to do it.

Feb 2, 2014, 11:10 AM

just kidding about the name.

Feb 2, 2014, 2:15 PM [ in reply to Re: What Clemson Basketball is ]

http://lonelytailgater.com/blog/espns-mike-patrick-has-officially-reached-stubborn-old-coot-status.html

I wouldn't let Brownell off the hook for our offensive inept

Feb 2, 2014, 11:26 AM

itude.

My main gripe being the oft-seen slackness and sloppiness that causes turnovers.
Plus, we don't appear to have a plan as to how to attack the defense. It's pass around the horn for 30 seconds then scramble to throw up a shot.

I like that we don't suck this year, and I think with a little offensive improvement, just in our mentality and focus, this team can get into the tourney. The key is beating the GT, ND, Mary, NCst teams that are clogging the middle of the conf standings.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His strategy is winning more games that most didn't expect.

Feb 2, 2014, 11:49 AM

You can blame Brownell's recruiting if you want, but the fact is we have a VERY limited number of natural offensive players. Guys like Blossingame and Roper, and the incoming guys should turn that around, and hopefully we hang on to KJ for his final year.

Considering we have everyone back plus an influx of offensive talent, you will see Brownell's system win more consistently. What he's doing now with this assortment of players cannot be denied. We MUST have defense to win. We simply do not have the offensive skill set to win scoring matches.

In year 4, building from the ground up, in my eyes he does get a "pass" for the lack of offense at this time. He has started from zero, building recruiting relationships over time. He is not the type of guy who's going to go out and sign a bunch of McDonalds's AA's, but given time to develop recruiting relationships with guys like DeVoe, Grantham, and Rooks, then we will start to see a better balance of offense and defense.

Given what we're doing with what we have, that speaks volumes about the system and the ability to get the kids to play within it.

Feb 2, 2014, 11:55 AM

While this win was big yesterday it was fsu. I think we are definitely better than last year. However, we were blown out on the road against two ranked teams. Until we can compete on the road against ranked teams I don't see big things ahead. When I say compete it doesn't mean we have to win those games. A middle of the back acc team does not make the tourney in my opinion.

I love what Brad is doing. If you really watch college

Feb 3, 2014, 1:59 AM

basketball today there are not many great scorers. AAU has killed offensive fundamentals so these kids have to learn from the ground up. I view Brad as a young Bo Ryan. I am not sure on Wisconsin's history, but they always play great defense make the tourney, and are dangerous.If Brad can bring Clemson basketball to near the level of Wisconsin I will be one happy camper. A good defense with a fundamental offense who hits some open shots will win a lot of basketball games.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 3, 2014, 8:03 AM [ in reply to Re: What Clemson Basketball is ]

That's the same FSU that gave us our most miserable loss so far in the season. To return the favor to them, on their home court, is no mean feat.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic