Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Day 185 of 15 day lockdown to flatten the curve.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 338

Day 185 of 15 day lockdown to flatten the curve.

Sep 5, 2020, 8:49 AM

https://twitter.com/EthicalSkeptic/status/1298311509332852736?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1298311509332852736%7Ctwgr%5Eshare_3&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thegatewaypundit.com%2F2020%2F09%2Fnew-world-order-australia-begins-arresting-citizens-posting-non-approved-covid-talking-points-ohio-passes-order-create-corona-shelters-dr-fauci-claims-sky-falling%2F

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Blue lines show effectiveness of the "overreaction" .

Sep 5, 2020, 9:03 AM

The trajectory prior to 4/16 reflects the natural rate of increase with no "overreaction". Had we carried on as usual you can draw that line straight to the top.

And it's amazing over half the human beings on Earth in the majority of countries on Earth, did the same thing. And the majority of them could care less about the US. Some love us. Some hate us. Some are ambivalent. Yet they all overreacted. Most more than us in fact. Because we learn statistics from sociologists.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're on lockdown?***

Sep 5, 2020, 9:08 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's according to where you are, sir.

Sep 5, 2020, 9:16 AM

I want to apologize for addressing you over not recognizing that you're not classof09 who is a USuCk grad. It's been years since I've seen a post from him and I usually avoid coots because it's possible to get some nasty infection just by sitting next to one on a bus. I caught the crabs two years ago from a taxi where a coot sat almost a decade ago.

Anyway, I promise not to make the mistake of confusing you with a coot and I'm not taking a taxi anymore. I'll walk first.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No one is on lock down. In the US anyway.***

Sep 5, 2020, 9:52 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we're going to be...

Sep 5, 2020, 9:57 AM

literal then no one ever was on lockdown. When was it you couldn't go to the Walmart?

cant open businesses, but we're not on lockdown...ok***

Sep 5, 2020, 11:06 AM

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Your daily ethics lesson

Sep 5, 2020, 9:22 AM

Nassim Taleb Wrote this on March 15.

Precautionary decisions do not scale. Collective safety may require excessive individual risk avoidance, even if it conflicts with an individual’s own interests and benefits. It may require an individual to worry about risks that are comparatively insignificant.

You are harming others by not "overreacting". In short you will end up harming yourself by ignoring these "irrational" risks

Assume a risk of a multiplicative viral epidemic, still in its early stages. The risk for an individual to catch the virus is very low, lower than other ailments. It is therefore "irrational" to panic (react immediately and as a priority). But if she or he does not panic and act in an ultra-conservative manner, they will contribute to the spread of the virus and it will become a severe source of systemic harm.

Hence one must "panic" individually (i.e., produce what seems to an exaggerated response) in order to avoid systemic problems, even where the immediate individual payoff does not appear to warrant it.

This happens when the systemic risk is small to the individual but common to all, while an individual’s other idiosyncratic risks dominate her or his own life. The risk of car accident may be greater for an individual, but smaller for society.

Under such conditions it becomes selfish, even psychopathic, to act according to what is called "rational" behavior – to make one’s own immediate rankings of risk conflict with those of society, even generate risks for society. This is similar to other tragedies of the common, except that there is life and death.

In addition, there is a tradeoff short-term vs. long term for idiosyncratic risk. Over the long run, there is convergence between idiosyncratic and systemic: your risk rises if all others are infected and the risks of survival from other diseases drop.

For instance, during a pandemic that mostly spares young, healthy individuals, an independent emergency that would typically be routine may become untreatable because of lack of resources. Further, in conditions of severe societal breakdown, many additional risks will emerge for all agents that can’t be reduced to the initial short term risk of infection to the individual.

In the current COVID-19 outbreak, such effects can be observed by a complete inundation of hospitals and their ICUs as local outbreaks take hold. This and other less visible thresholds change the dynamic of the pandemic as they are exceeded. Initially small risks become amplified and produce novel and unanticipated risks as the contagion makes impacts system-wide.

For these reasons, the prudent and ethical course of action for all individuals is to enact systemic precaution at the individual and local scale. The breakdown of scale-separation that a multiplicative contagion induces connects the individual to the collective, making everyone both a potential bearer and source of risk.

I thought the dems were the party of science.

Sep 5, 2020, 9:55 AM

Is the earth flat again, already?

So ... if I overreact to my headache, then I will cure

Sep 5, 2020, 10:02 AM [ in reply to Your daily ethics lesson ]

Brain Cancer?

OK, I just took 2 bottles of Tylenol - let me know when it starts working.

Sorry, no amount of overreacting will cure

Sep 5, 2020, 10:34 AM

missing brain cells, lol

It may be time for a transplant.

Replies: 10
| visibility 338
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic