Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We're Off to Korea
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,440

We're Off to Korea

Jul 9, 2019, 8:32 PM

A couple of days at Camp Drake, Japan and again the orders of the day are to pack our gear and have our winter attire handy. Winter attire seems out of place when the temperatures are in the upper 60's and low 70's. But we did as ordered and threw our gear on a bus that was waiting for us to board. Buses had been leaving all day loaded down with troops and Camp Drake was beginning to look deserted in our area.

We really had not been told much about our next voyage so we unattached men were wondering what was in store. Our bus driver told us we were going to Yokohama to board a troop ship and we would be the last ones to board. Most of those on the ship were complete companies and they were the first ones to go aboard ship. When we arrived at the dock, we were the last ones to board the ship. As our names were called we went aboard ship. Then there were still 10 , then 9, then . . . . 3, then 2 and would you like to guess the last one standing all alone? That's right, Joe21.

Having traveled on troop ships during WW2, I was familiar with the boarding procedure. When I set foot on the ship and had my name checked off, I asked for that little scrap of paper that informs a passenger where he is supposed to go. The news wasn't good, I was supposed to find a place where I could lay my head during our cruise to Korea. There was a whole lot of deck space available so I had a lot of options. I did find some of the guys that were on our flight from San Francisco and was able to store most of my gear in their area.

The next day, was a beautiful day and most of the men were on the decks. Someone called out "Joe" and I looked around to see if I was the "Joe" they were hailing. Yes, I was the "Joe" being hailed. There was a close friend from the Univ. of Florida. His wife and my wife were very close friends and been in each others wedding. He was the CO of one of the companies aboard ship, During our conversations he asked where I was staying. When I told him I had no assigned spot he suggested I come join his company. His company had volunteered to do the KP chores on the ship. In exchange for their service, they had a special place to stay and rather than bunks, they had cots. This was a good deal because I didn't have to go through the chow line, one of the guys would bring me my food.

I don't recall if we made a stop in Pusan (now Busan) but we eventually entered the Yellow Sea and made our way to Inchon. The temperature had now dropped below freezing and we dug out that winter attire. The tides and currents at Inchon were very treacherous and we had to wait until the second day after we dropped anchor about one-half mile offshore before we could "drop" into those landing craft and head for the shore.

Sometime earlier I have posted accounts of our landing at Inchon and our journey to Pyongyang, North Korea so I'll not repeat those details. But to put my journey into a time frame from my arrival at Fort Hood, Texas on Sept, 25, 1950, I arrived at Pyongyang, North Korea on or about Nov. 1, 1950. The temperatures at Fort Hood were in the 90's and when I arrived in Pyongyang the temperature was about 0
F.

Needless to say, that was my first visit to North and South Korea. I've been back to South Korea a couple of times and the changes that have occurred over the years has been dramatic. The South Korean government has a program which encourages Korean War veterans to return for an official visit with all expenses paid while in Korea. I've thought about going back one more time but that's a tough trip for me.

Message was edited by: Joe21®

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We're Off to Korea

Jul 9, 2019, 8:43 PM

How old are you dude

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well beyond being referred to as "dude."***

Jul 9, 2019, 8:51 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my father was with the 2nd Infantry Division

Jul 9, 2019, 8:53 PM

when the Chinese joined the fight, he said they had a rough time in a place called Kunu-ri, he received a bronze star for saving 7 of his wounded buddies as they bugged out south

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: my father was with the 2nd Infantry Division

Jul 9, 2019, 8:55 PM

oh, he said the air force saved his butt, killing a whole bunch of chinese lol

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Keep writing Sir. Love the stories.***

Jul 9, 2019, 9:01 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,440
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic