Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Remember Dabo's boneheaded decision in this game last year?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 5,546

Remember Dabo's boneheaded decision in this game last year?

Sep 7, 2017, 12:03 PM

Seriously, I still can't fathom why we went for it 4 and 4 at the 17, up by 6, with 40 seconds to go. Kick the FG, Dabo! Make it a two score game!

Not only was the decision extremely questionable, the play-call was atrocious. Gallman right up the middle.

Obviously, Dabo's the greatest coach in Clemson history, and I rarely ever question his decision-making, but I was thinking about last year's game earlier today, and this sequence still irks me.
I'm still certain Dabo was counting on the clock going down to about 10 seconds after 3rd down, but Gallman inexplicably went out-of-bounds. Then Dabo panicked, and didn't make the correct decision. We were very lucky not to lose that game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember your boneheaded post***

Sep 7, 2017, 12:04 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

He's right though

Sep 7, 2017, 12:05 PM

One of the dumbest things I've seen. Then again, it did seem like Dabo was trying to tell the team "Get it the hell together, you're better than this" with that play.

Whoa great comeback..

Sep 7, 2017, 12:14 PM [ in reply to I remember your boneheaded post*** ]

Very clever

Would you like to elaborate on what made this (or another post, you're not clear which of my posts was boneheaded) post "boneheaded"?

Re: Remember Dabo's boneheaded decision in this game last year?

Sep 7, 2017, 12:04 PM

Because he had Auburn with the spread, unlike myself who took Clemson giving the points.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I only remember the boneheaded rub route we ran vs Bama

Sep 7, 2017, 12:06 PM

Seriously, we won, who cares?!

BINGO!!!!!!!***

Sep 7, 2017, 12:10 PM

Sep 7, 2017, 12:07 PM

I also remember Wayne Gallman not running out of bounds which gave Auburn time for a couple of prayers. But also remember us winning and that's the most important

Sep 7, 2017, 12:08 PM

Excuse me running out of bounds which stopped the clock

FSU GT and other games were fresh on his mind

Sep 7, 2017, 12:07 PM

He figured we could get 4 yards and/or his defense could stop Auburn. He was half right which was all he needed to be.

Didn't like the call, that's quite true

Sep 7, 2017, 12:13 PM

The fact that he is a great coach and has proven it, doesn't mean every decision of his is perfect. No one is perfect, and yep, that was a mistake that *almost* cost us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

let's look at the options and possible outcomes:

Sep 7, 2017, 12:15 PM

Kick the Field Goal:

1. make it, go up 9

2. have it blocked, returned for TD - or much better field position

3. miss it, AU ball and they have to drive it

Go For It:

1. make it, game over

2. don't get it, AU has drive the field

I would have gone for it as well -- it is the least risky call in that situation

Can you ask york what she would have done?***

Sep 7, 2017, 12:17 PM

Welsh would be my guess***

Sep 7, 2017, 12:19 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you play the odds

Sep 7, 2017, 12:20 PM [ in reply to let's look at the options and possible outcomes: ]

And absent any reason to think the kick would be blocked (we had not, I don't believe, looked susceptible to that, and I don't remember a reason to think Auburn was particularly dangerous to do so), and with a kicker who had been solid I think you kick there.

I understand his decision, and he was put in a bad place by Gallman running out of bounds, but I'd have kicked it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree.... I don't think there is a right or wrong answer

Sep 7, 2017, 12:24 PM

I think minimizing risk was the reason he made the decision... I think it was one of those "how many bad things can go wrong on a FG, vs. if we go for it and run it"...

Re: I agree.... I don't think there is a right or wrong answer

Sep 7, 2017, 12:35 PM

I think Dabo's decision to build a championship program is really irking (kept me up all summer). :)

In hindsight, it was the right call.

Sep 7, 2017, 12:35 PM [ in reply to let's look at the options and possible outcomes: ]

I remember thinking at the time "the only way they win is if we try to kick it and they block it and return it for a touchdown."

Loved the call.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: let's look at the options and possible outcomes:

Sep 7, 2017, 12:36 PM [ in reply to let's look at the options and possible outcomes: ]

If you're going to bring up a blocked kick/return, you also need to present a bad snap/fumble on the QB/RB exchange, fumble by the RB option as well, in your "Go For It" list. Something can go wrong on any given play

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think so

Sep 7, 2017, 12:39 PM

a botched snap, or a fumble likely doesn't lend itself to be returned like a blocked FG does...

it's apples to oranges

also... what % of FGs get blocked vs what % of snaps are fumbled

I don't know what the percentages are

Sep 7, 2017, 1:14 PM

I know there's more snaps/handoffs/carries than there are field goal attempts in a game, but there's been like 28 blocked kicks so far this year, and 92 fumble recoveries.

I couldn't find college stats, but in the NFL last year it appears about 2% of kicks were blocked across the league. That's 2 out of every 100 kicks.

I'd venture to guess there's a fumble or two per every 100 plays, but I really don't know how to find that statistic.

Either way, they are both pretty unlikely. It was near the end of a game with a hostile crowd, and a lot of pressure anything could have happened... but it didn't, and we win.

Let's do it again this year

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Making the FG was essentially game over as well, and

Sep 7, 2017, 12:51 PM [ in reply to let's look at the options and possible outcomes: ]

you should have better odds to make a 34 yard FG than pick up a 4th and 4. Huegel was 14-15 from 30-39 yards in 2015. That's well over 90% so you have to assume you have AT LEAST an 80% of making it and going up 9 there. There's almost no way that going for it gives you a better chance to win than that.

Prior to that play we were 6-17 on 3rd down and 1-2 on 4th down so even though it was a relatively short yardage situation, our odds of picking it up probably weren't any better than 50/50. With the decision to just run it up the middle with Gallman, our odds were even lower than that.

The odds of getting a FG blocked and returned are extremely low, and missing the FG doesn't cost you that many yards in comparison with going for it on 4th and failing. Either scenario leaves Auburn with a chance to pick up 20-30 yards and then take 1-2 shots into the EZ.

So yeah, Dabo probably screwed the pooch on that one a little bit, but it happens. Not everyone can be Bill Belichick. I would imagine the coaches evaluated that situation after the game and learned from it.

Re: let's look at the options and possible outcomes:

Sep 7, 2017, 2:33 PM [ in reply to let's look at the options and possible outcomes: ]

Let's give everything odds...and feel free to disagree with my odds because I'm just making them up.

FG Attempt:
Make = 85% (Wins game)
Miss with no block: 10% (Clemson goes on Defense)
Miss with block that goes past the line of scrimmage: 4% (Clemson goes on Defense)
Miss with block stays behind the line of scrimmage and is returned by Auburn: 1% (Clemson loses game)

Go for it on 4th and 4 with run play right up the middle (again the playcall was half of the problem):
Make= 25% (Wins game)
Miss = 75% (Clemson goes on Defense)

Once on Defense:
Clemson stops Auburn from scoring a TD: 90%
Auburn scores a TD: 10%

Overall, I get Clemson had about a 2.4% chance of losing by kicking the FG and about a 7.5% chance of losing by going for it with the run up the middle. By my calculation, were about 3 times more likely to lose by going for it in the manner we did as compared to kicking the FG.

That one really came back to bite us.

Sep 7, 2017, 12:15 PM

We could have had a good year last year if it weren't for that.

Sep 7, 2017, 12:21 PM

Remember when we won?

That is all that matters.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Sep 7, 2017, 12:24 PM

So after a game is over we shouldn't discuss anything other than we won? Not amazing catches we see, or anything else because it doesn't matter?

Sep 7, 2017, 12:25 PM

After the game maybe... Rehashing it over a year later on a season that we won the National ####### Championship? That seems like a little much and a little bitchy.

Well, to be fair, it isn't random

Sep 7, 2017, 12:29 PM

In thinking about a game this year, it makes sense someone would revisit the last time we played this opponent.

It sounded like 07 just wanted to attack somebody asking a

Sep 7, 2017, 12:49 PM

question huh?

Can you rephrase that so it doesn't sound preachy or

Sep 7, 2017, 12:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Remember Dabo's boneheaded decision in this game last year? ]

judgmental? Asking for cutigerbob®

Re: Can you rephrase that so it doesn't sound preachy or

Sep 7, 2017, 3:54 PM

Holy hell you really are a 12 year old girl aren't you?

now that DEFINITELY sounded judgmental...Why the attack?***

Sep 7, 2017, 5:28 PM

My biggest issue with it was the playcall.

Sep 7, 2017, 12:41 PM

I do think kicking the FG would've been the best bet in that situation, but if you are going to go for it on 4th down against a defense that has controlled the LOS pretty well all night and held you to 3.4 YPC, at least put the ball in the hands of your best player.

IIRC we also went OOB on 3rd down which was a huge mistake as well.

Honestly, going out of bounds on 3rd down

Sep 7, 2017, 12:46 PM

Was *the* problem. At 15 seconds, no way you kick. At 40 seconds, I would've kicked, but I understand the decision.

Sep 7, 2017, 12:47 PM

It is just too easy to question calls after the fact. Maybe Dabo says he wouldnt have done it that way if he had to again or maybe the kicker was shanking everything while warming up or something else we didnt know. Just have to look at the whole picture and not concentrate on any one little thing.

Didn't we win the national championship last year?***

Sep 7, 2017, 12:51 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Dabo was scared of the "Kick 6"

Sep 7, 2017, 12:54 PM

which happen right in that stadium a couple of years prior. That and Huegal had just missed the extra point earlier in the 4th quarter made him hesitant to kick it. He figured our defense was playing well (although they had just given up a TD) and Auburn's offense stunk so it wasn't worth the risk.

I personally wouldn't have done it, but that's why he gets paid the big bucks.

Sep 7, 2017, 5:59 PM

Refresh my memory on two things, who won the game, and how did Ohio State lose to Penn State?

Sep 7, 2017, 6:00 PM

I would not have hesitated to RUN the ball and try to make the 4 yards. AU had only scored ONE TD during the entire game, and they would have to go 80+ yards to score a TD. No brainer. Dabo is a genius. No way I take a chance on a blocked FG. I would call a RUN play 100 times out of 100 against a weak AU offense. They only scored 13 points all day long - in their own house. How pathetic do you have to be?

Replies: 38
| visibility 5,546
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic