Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can someone explain to me how one school can change
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Can someone explain to me how one school can change

May 9, 2012, 10:27 AM

a conference?

I don't understand all this talk about how ND is the big prize and would make the ACC more desirable and cause us to stay. Would they be a huge catch? Absolutely. But I don't see how they outweigh all the negative b/c of POSSIBLY one game a year with them.

IMO... the ACC is so bad football wise that you have to add 2 "football" schools and go to 16 in order to make it more attractive. You'd have to add ND and PSU, or poach a big SEC or Big XII School in order to make up for:

WF
UMD
Pitt
Cuse
BC
Duke
UNC

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: Can someone explain to me how one school can change

May 9, 2012, 10:33 AM

I agree. It would take Notre Dame and one other big time football school to make the ACC sustainable as a top tier conference. Under Swofford's "leadership" I don't see that happening.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nothing will change in the ACC until if/when the......

May 9, 2012, 10:36 AM

people in charge commit to bringing football up to par with basketball. Unless that's done, the ACC will remain a basketball conference.

Needless to say, with the power UNC and Duke have it will be hard to move away from basketball.

May 9, 2012, 10:36 AM

Add two cupcake teams each team in ACC plays and you have 9 who gives a chit games with weak sisters. No wonder the ACC gets no respect and will never see a NC game when the RPI SOS format is adopted. Why not add Dorman and Brynes to the conference? THey'd be better than most teams on that list year in and year out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ND = ratings = $ maybe more than anyone in the country***

May 9, 2012, 10:37 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

don't buy it....

May 9, 2012, 10:39 AM

you're telling me the ratings for ND vs. Duke/UNC/UMD/WF/Cuse, etc... are going to change the financial fortunes of the ACC?

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

agree..look at nds schedule this yr and ask the ? of

May 9, 2012, 10:57 AM

whether their fans would like to see games ag OU, BYU, Miami, USC, and Stanford..not to mention MSU and Mich.
who will trade that and tune in to watch the epic battle at Wallace Wade or Groves Stadium

All Catholics are ND fans. Every Parish a recruiting base.

May 9, 2012, 11:22 AM [ in reply to don't buy it.... ]

Every Priest a recruiter. What? You never seen "Rudy?"

What Catholic could pull against the Mother of God?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, if televised nationally. You have tens of thousands of

May 9, 2012, 11:44 AM [ in reply to don't buy it.... ]

Catholic housewives in Chicago alone who would tune in?

Do you realize how many Catholics live in Chicago? New York? St. Louis? New Orleans even?

They kill in the ratings with casual viewers.

Message was edited by: josephg®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ND @ WF was a nationally Televised Night game last year.***

May 9, 2012, 4:12 PM [ in reply to don't buy it.... ]

the same way one school, ND,

May 9, 2012, 10:41 AM

can have NBC cater to their every whim.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, technically UNC, Pitt, and Maryland CAN be good at

May 9, 2012, 11:20 AM

football. (Pitt actually isn't that bad)

But some things are a constant: Duke and Cuse are going to suck, and BC and Wake aren't going to get but so good at football.

How you make a football move in 2003 by adding Miami and VT and then make a basketball move in 2011 by adding Pitt and (of all schools) Syracuse - gets me. Not sure what Swoffy was going for here.

Since we all talk about tradition and hostory so much here

May 9, 2012, 11:51 AM

Syracuse has a national championship with former players like Jim Brown and Donovan McNabb. Seems like the last time we played them I think in 1996 they whipped our a$$. Pittsburgh has 4 national titles and several smaller poll titles. Aheisman winner in Tony Dorsett and one of the greatest qb's of all time Dan Marino. My point is, they have the tradition and history to be great football programs.

As far as this talk about the Big 12 goes, I think we need to look no further than BC as to why we don't need to go to the big 12. BC has been isolated as far as their natural footprint with no games in that footprint except home games. The same would be true if we went to the Big 12. While it certainly didn't help that they lost their football coach, the basketball team was very ngood before entering the ACC but has also fallen on hard times.

We took Pitt and Syracuse to keep them from going to the BIG

May 9, 2012, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Well, technically UNC, Pitt, and Maryland CAN be good at ]

and locking us out of the NE market.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NBC pays ND $15 mil/yr. ***

May 9, 2012, 12:02 PM

May 9, 2012, 12:29 PM

Cuse and Pitt have something usuc doesnt have

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 9, 2012, 1:32 PM

academics? class? national titles?

ND changed the whole face of college football by leaving

May 9, 2012, 12:31 PM

the CFA. If we still had the old CFA, all this talk about conference revenue would be moot. ND leaving the CFA to cut it's own deal with NBC started all this conference realignment BS.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ND is hugely popular in the northeast's urban markets,

May 9, 2012, 1:34 PM

which is now inextricably tied to the ACC's fortunes due to its recent expansion efforts. ND would serve as a key cog to launching an actual ACC cable network that could gain serious traction not just up and down the east coast but nationally, as well as bring an enhanced level of appeal for the league for Saturday fall programming from the networks.

Notre Dame would likely benefit from a schedule that would soften up by a few games compared to what they're doing now, padding their normally abysmal record.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 9, 2012, 4:08 PM

Disagree actually. In the eyes of the fans adding ND may not be enough. In terms of money and pull with the NCAA, ND is the big fish. Heck, at the playoff meetings you had all the conference presidents and the ND athletic director. With ND the TV deals will get better and you'll be much less likely to get left out of any BCS deals.

When I see talk about Pitt and Cuse not

May 9, 2012, 4:26 PM

not being football school, I have to grin a little. Cuse is number 15 on all time W/L list with a record of 691-492-49 and 1 NC...Pitt is number 20 with 678-493-41 and 1 NC. Clemson is number 25 with 658-493-45 and 1 NC. What is the overall difference?
I also remember a couple of tough games with each of them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When I see talk about Pitt and Cuse not

May 9, 2012, 4:30 PM

Yep these guys forget the whipping the cuse put on us a few short years ago. They suck right now but both are highly respected in athletic circles

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When I see talk about Pitt and Cuse not

May 9, 2012, 4:34 PM [ in reply to When I see talk about Pitt and Cuse not ]

Should have read 4 NC.

Dude, most Mexicans are Catholic. They are coming in by the

May 9, 2012, 4:28 PM

millions.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic