Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
One thing that should be made clear in all this Tillman fuss
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,909

One thing that should be made clear in all this Tillman fuss

Jul 18, 2015, 12:02 AM

There is a vast difference between Ben Tillman, who by all accounts was a despicable person and probable murderer, and Civil War and pre-Civil War heroes such Wade Hampton, John C Calhoun and many others who may have once owned slaves when it was perfectly legal to do so.

While Clemson University may very well never existed without the efforts of Ben Tillman, I see no need to continue to honor this despicable person with his name on Clemson's Old Main Building. But, don't let this movement to remove Tillman's name lead to other more questionable attempts to re-write history by eradicating the names of Hampton, Calhoun, Lee, Davis and many others from buildings, roads & bridges, etc.

There is already a ludicrous call by the Georgia NAACP to sandblast Stone Mountain, along with the New Orleans mayor calling for the removal of a Robert E. Lee statue from that city. The legacy of Lee, Hampton, Davis et al, is quite different from that of the heinous Ben Tillman. Let us never forget that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well-said. But, Clemson University actually would have existed without

Jul 18, 2015, 12:16 AM

the efforts of Ben Tillman. Yes, he was one of the original "life trustees." And, yes, he was a "progressive farmer" before that term even existed. But, Clemson College was actually chartered by Tillman's arch-enemy Gov. John Peter Richardson prior to Tillman being elected governor. Tillman's son grossly exaggerated his dad's role in the founding of the university when he convinced the rest of the board to re-name Old Main in his honor in the 40s. It would have been at least as historically accurate to have re-named it Richardson Hall after a man who by all accounts never murdered anyone.

Message was edited by: OldSchool Tiger®

Message was edited by: OldSchool Tiger®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so the photo I have of Tillman hall

Jul 18, 2015, 12:29 AM

That says it's a very special place is not true. You people crack me up trying to make what you think is correct and attempting to change the past. Past is why we have the future...focus on more important things...when does it end with these liberal a holes??

It was a very special place 50 years before it was re-named

Jul 18, 2015, 1:06 AM

Tillman Hall. It will be a very special place 50 years after it is no longer named Tillman Hall. So, if you don't condone political assassinations , you are a "liberal a-hole?!?" Take a stand, dude. You for political assassinations or against them? Liberal or Conservative has NOTHING to do with murder.

Clemson is a special place. Yes or No? Take a stand. ***

Jul 18, 2015, 7:40 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Would you like to rename H e l l too? That's a pretty

Jul 18, 2015, 10:50 AM [ in reply to It was a very special place 50 years before it was re-named ]

bad place. What about Russsia? They like to shoot civilian airplanes out of the sky. I heard the great great great great great grandfather of Home Depot killed someone. Should we rename that too?

Yes

Jul 18, 2015, 6:49 PM

Home Boy Depot.

I want to see them try to sandblast those carvings off that

Jul 18, 2015, 12:39 PM

granite mountain. Good luck with that!

For those who don't know the back-story, someone in Georgia said something like "what next? Do they want to blast (i.e. dynamite) the carvings off stone mountain?" The NAACP responded with "Yeah, we want those statues sandblasted off!"

Message was edited by: TigerOmally®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's called a straw man argument.

Jul 18, 2015, 2:53 PM

Since no one has said Tillman was a southern hero your argument is between you and your straw man. We who do not wish to see the name change submit to you that Tillman was insturmental in the founding of Clemson University.

Unless you have no affiliation with our University you should you must understand how important Tillman is to us.

The ignorance of youth knows no bounds.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,909
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic