Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sirrus football poast is sirrus. What APM has not heard many
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 382

Sirrus football poast is sirrus. What APM has not heard many

Aug 10, 2020, 7:43 AM

talking about is just how much college football is going to change after all this is over.

COVID is simply accelerating the process, but the NIL thing, the players effectively unionizing, and the economic ripple effects of this season being disrupted will be felt for years to come.

Wondering how those of you who have thought about it see things playing out? What will college football look like in 2021 and beyond?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We'll never see another season of college football again.

Aug 10, 2020, 8:06 AM

Once the civil war starts, large stadiums will serve as staging areas for various militias and football will be relegated to the history books. It's possible that if the civil war doesn't drag out for years and decimate the human population to near extinction levels, these former stadiums will be used by brutal warlords for their gladiator-style battles to the death to entertain and sedate the remaining population, and punish those who would dare oppose said aforementioned warlords.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sounds like you might have your eye on a certain stadium...***

Aug 10, 2020, 8:07 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stadiums.

Aug 10, 2020, 8:08 AM

Plural.

Stadia...

Aug 10, 2020, 8:25 AM

Plural-ity.... ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

APM doesn't wish to #### off a warlord, but Salty's correct.***

Aug 10, 2020, 8:51 AM

For the moment.

Aug 10, 2020, 8:58 AM

But along with gladiator-style battles to the death, I will be re-shaping language to suit my specific whims. Might as well get used to THE NEW NORMAL.

may I be the first to bow to you, my liege.***

Aug 10, 2020, 9:43 AM

Re: Sirrus football poast is sirrus. What APM has not heard many

Aug 10, 2020, 9:32 AM

Walt Deptula is spitting fire on Twitter. Not a huge fan of his but the past couple of days, he has been spot on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lulz @ an all red state (ACC, SEC) season.

Aug 10, 2020, 9:51 AM

Not happening.

But very seriously, what happens after this season?

NIL in effect.
Players effectively unionized.
Profit sharing.

My predictions would be:

1) like NCAA hoops, college football will start to look less top heavy.
2) College football will more explicitly become the NFL minor leagues.
3) the three-year rule will go away and we will have "one and done" in football.
4) Coaches will be paid less and colleges will make way less money on football.
5) Fewer kids will play overall, given safety concerns
6) COVID will affect at least the next two seasons, because a spring season, even at only the high school level, will then affect colleges. A college spring season will eff up everything - eligibility, schollies, kids coming on campus early (IF they can even enroll due to COVID).

In short, there will be a reset similar to what we saw in the post WWII years. It will take a while to rebuild and when it is rebuilt, it will not look the same.

I have come upon a stunning realization during Covidpalooza

Aug 10, 2020, 10:00 AM

I haven't missed sports nearly as much as I thought I would have. Once upon ago, I thought it would kill me to go a week, much less several months, without sports. But now I can go so far as to say it doesn't matter to me if they start back or not. Any sport.

Much more to life than spending gobs of money on tickets and sundry things, and sitting in front of a TV set on weekends. I believe a lot of folks have the same realization.

You hear that presidents/commissioners/ADs/players?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen. APM is a lot more laid back and having more seggz.

Aug 10, 2020, 10:22 AM

Well, at least on the weekends. APM still stresses about his business during the week.

APM has said for a while it would kinda be nice to NOT have the Tigers competing for a Natty so he doesn't feel obligated to watch every game, stay on Tigernet all day in the fall, not do things like go to the mountains or the beach or play golf when it is cooler out, etc.

I miss sports.

Aug 10, 2020, 10:27 AM [ in reply to I have come upon a stunning realization during Covidpalooza ]

I miss live music WAY more, as a spectator and a player.

Re: I miss sports.

Aug 10, 2020, 2:16 PM

At least music can be listened to time and again...and the enjoyment is there. Can't say the same about reruns of games...or much of anything else, for that matter! Let rock live! :) And (most) other genres! ;)

I had that feeling too...and then NHL came back and I don't

Aug 10, 2020, 10:30 AM [ in reply to I have come upon a stunning realization during Covidpalooza ]

have that feeling anymore.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Yep, look at all of the people at lakes, beaches, going

Aug 10, 2020, 11:35 AM [ in reply to I have come upon a stunning realization during Covidpalooza ]

camping, etc. We travelled this weekend and there were more campers on the interstate than semi trucks. I think a lot of people are getting a taste of a life outside of the structure of sports, and they like it.

I'll be OK with spending my Saturday's on the boat this fall.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

these players are about to ruin a good thing***

Aug 10, 2020, 9:56 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Re: Sirrus football poast is sirrus. What APM has not heard many

Aug 10, 2020, 10:11 AM

I think NIL is coming fast. I generally think that's a good thing. You should be able to profit off of yourself.

I just don't see any way that you can pay football players unless there is a massive change in Title IX. As far as a "union," I am not sure the players even know what that looks like. The Northwestern attempt to unionize didn't get the support of the feds. How does a union like this work? Are you negotiating against the schools, individually? the conferences? the NCAA? I just don't think it works.

I think you're going to see the revenue hit be taken out on smaller athletic programs. Schools will continue to cut programs that they don't care as much about.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m boycotting America Ninja Warriors!

Aug 10, 2020, 11:04 AM

I’m fully cognizant that no one gives a crap. Yet I feel compelled to post this 12 to 15 times and repeat this drivel over and over to my friends until they go bat #### crazy. Also boycotting The Voice for political purposes that make no sense.

To answer your question - Changes are happening to college football _ likely not as catastrophic as some fear. Fan attendance and popularity may l decrease 10% to 20%. Players can elect to go pro at anytime _ maybe even after HS although few will be drafted. Obviously same for basketball. Recruiting will be a circus for a few years till Boosters realize that throwing money at kids is a waste _ they may never start or go pro after 1 or 2 years. College FB will still be very popular and a big business but has experienced its pinnacle.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

your second paragraph may be closest to reality.***

Aug 10, 2020, 11:19 AM

Re: your second paragraph may be closest to reality.***

Aug 10, 2020, 2:18 PM

If pro ball doesn't survive this...the college game may be further imperiled.

Replies: 20
| visibility 382
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic