Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Well, let's try a discussion that won't #### people off.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1,415

Well, let's try a discussion that won't #### people off.

Mar 31, 2020, 12:21 PM

Since apparently the pillow guy was more of a sacred cow than I thought.

How about this:

In light of the recent coronavirus crisis, does this prove that Internet access should be a public utility? Why or why not?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

States and municipalities should have the choice.

Mar 31, 2020, 12:31 PM

In a lot of states (including mine) the telecoms lobbied the legislatures to prohibit communities from creating their own broadband services. That's messed up.

And I think the FCC should classify telecoms as common carriers so they're subject to stricter federal oversight to ensure net neutrality.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well, let's try a discussion that won't #### people off.

Mar 31, 2020, 12:36 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

will it even it matter

Mar 31, 2020, 12:50 PM

once the DAGF (Disney Apple Google Facebook corp) replaces our government?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No.

Mar 31, 2020, 2:17 PM

I think regulations may be in order.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell Google that if they make free

Mar 31, 2020, 2:20 PM

universal access coast to coast wifi internet where everybody with any device can get on anywhere they are for free, they get all government tech contracts for the next 5 years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Question: Is anyone elses slow?

Mar 31, 2020, 2:32 PM

My house is a bit rural, being on the lake, but I've noticed a slow down...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Re: Question: Is anyone elses slow?

Mar 31, 2020, 6:50 PM

wilbur82® said:

My house is a bit rural, being on the lake, but I've noticed a slow down...

That's interesting Wilbur, I live on the coast of NC and we've noticed a slowdown here as well.

No slow down internet wise

Apr 1, 2020, 10:03 AM [ in reply to Question: Is anyone elses slow? ]

but a very noticeable slow down on netflix

I wouldn't want the city or state or feds

Apr 1, 2020, 10:29 AM

running my utilities. Just like the communist block cars it would take longer for updates and longer for power outage fixes.

If they don't have a reason to improve they won't and why would they.

It wasn't about defending him to me.

Mar 31, 2020, 4:48 PM

It was about defending Trump's right to 'parade,' anyone 'out,' that he pleases. Turn the channel or mute what you don't like but Trump has every right to present someone with a personal witness for Christ.

This is America. If you really don't want to hear about Christ, the Blood He shed for your sins and the salvation He offers at such a discount price then China would love you and no one would try to proselytize you there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey.

Mar 31, 2020, 7:14 PM

We are talking about Internet. Talk about My Pillow guy in the other thread.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

TMML a little.

Apr 1, 2020, 10:01 AM

You brought it up in your OP. If I've learned anything here it's that every word you post is subject to create a chitstorm.

Mar 31, 2020, 6:49 PM

Catahoula said:

Since apparently the pillow guy was more of a sacred cow than I thought.

How about this:

In light of the recent coronavirus crisis, does this prove that Internet access should be a public utility? Why or why not?

That whole subject just really pisses me off dude!

;)

Mar 31, 2020, 8:24 PM

no

would result in lower quality and higher cost

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How so? You realize your electricity and water are the

Apr 1, 2020, 10:01 AM

very very cheap, right? Explain why you think the Internet will suddenly be lower quality and higher cost.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Because that's the default answer to anything

Apr 1, 2020, 10:04 AM

being taken over by the government. He will come back with "what programs has the government taken over that became more efficient and less cost?"

And when you point out police, fire, roads, water, electricity he wont' respond.

Re: Because that's the default answer to anything

Apr 1, 2020, 10:56 AM

for example, the private toll road south of greenville

it was private, but the state made them charge $0.75 cents per car

they went bankrupt , the state took over the operation and the toll went to $2/car

Love your anecdotal evidence

Apr 1, 2020, 11:04 AM

and will counter with I-20, I-26, I-95, I-85. How much does it cost to drive on those?

About $.40/gallon of fuel, $2200 a year in house taxes

Apr 1, 2020, 11:16 AM

$1300 in truck and SUV property taxes, $1400 in boat taxes and about 5% of every other dollar I spend in SC.

So for the 8-15x a year I drive on I-26 or I-85, it costs me about $10,000.

Obviously not all of that tax money goes towards roads, but some portion of that does. Those roads were built in the 50's and 60's. And everyone who has ever lived in SC and paid taxes has paid their share towards them. I'd say they are pretty darn expensive.

Re: Love your anecdotal evidence

Apr 1, 2020, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Love your anecdotal evidence ]

according to the national debt

$410,000.00 so far

https://usdebtclock.org/

Re: Because that's the default answer to anything

Apr 1, 2020, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Because that's the default answer to anything ]

being taken over by the government. He will come back with "what programs has the government taken over that became more efficient and less cost?"

And when you point out police, fire, roads, water, electricity he wont' respond.

It's that old Monty Python skit: what have the Romans ever done for us?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvPbj9NX0zc

Bill Gates predicted that in one of his books

Mar 31, 2020, 8:44 PM

about 20+ years ago. He also said that computers would eventually be like telephones and you wouldn;t cre what kind you had.

That hasn't really happened yet.

Mar 31, 2020, 8:46 PM

What was the longest crap you ever had? (duration on stool...not actual length of the crap)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was going to give a smart-a reply, saying something about

Apr 1, 2020, 9:50 AM

How it clearly needed to be since repealing net neutrality had ruined it (it hasn’t), crushed consumers (I’m getting 1 Gig for $80—good lawd a deal), and metered everyone to their knees (it hasn’t...it’s performing beautifully during arguably the time of highest usage in its history).

But I didn’t say all that snark because I literally just saw this. I may be late to the party on this one so sorry if it’s been discussed to death, but you and I are both big on privacy. What would you say to public utility status if it, like this bill, all but guaranteed big brother’s ability to see into every corner of your life?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/mar/06/us-internet-bill-seen-as-opening-shot-against-end-to-end-encryption

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, that's where I'm on the fence.

Apr 1, 2020, 9:57 AM

One the one hand, this crisis is showing that everyone literally needs Internet access. But do I trust the feds--or even the state--to manage something that deals with the free flow of information?

VPN will become huge in that case.***

Apr 1, 2020, 10:09 AM [ in reply to I was going to give a smart-a reply, saying something about ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

meh. VPN only can remotely block you to it's endpoint.

Apr 1, 2020, 11:22 AM

Those endpoint guys will keep a log of every tx/rx packet you ever requested, and will roll you over with a simple subpoena, just like an ISP would.

You're just adding a friction device to make you feel better.

Yeah that's not true at all with good VPNs...***

Apr 1, 2020, 11:28 AM

Which part?***

Apr 1, 2020, 11:50 AM

They specifically do not save logs or traffic data.

Apr 1, 2020, 11:55 AM

And they don't roll over with a subpoena because they are all established outside the US.

Also, I am dropped 30% using ExpressVPN, still get 300Mbps up and down.

So you visit a website based in, say an Azure data center

Apr 1, 2020, 12:12 PM

based in Virginia, you send your request traffic to one of Express vpn's servers based in

"... Brazil, Canada, United States, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Australia, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Singapore, South Korea and Taiwan"

then BACK to your local ISP, then to you? Adding into that RTT you have how many hops of routers and vpn packet assembly/encryption and then final disassembly/decryption at your house?

You might be getting 300 MBS to your local ISP, but the piering agreements alone will be slowed down considerably as you go through all those other packet gyrations just to look at a pair of shoes from LL Bean's website. What is the ping time on that? Just the pure physics of physical distance will begin to slow that down as well.

And if whatever you are doing ever warrants that had of a look from the Feds, you can be sure that they will subpoena whatever expressVPN server that sits in any US or a US allies data center.

Seems like it would be a lot easier to just pay for your movies than even risk leaching them from the pirate bay.

This kind of reminds me of people buying expensive radar detectors. At some point, its just easier and more efficient to do the speed limit.

Still get 10 ping playing fortnite over it, again, wrong.

Apr 1, 2020, 1:08 PM

And they can subpoena whatever they want, the data isn't stored or logged. This is with all high end VPN services.

ok.

Apr 1, 2020, 1:11 PM

What do I know.

I only set up enterprise applications to be accessed from India every day over multiple different HIGH END vpn solutions using both dedicated and MPLS links.

I thought you were in charge of healthcare services

Apr 1, 2020, 2:21 PM

and how much they charge vs. insurance. At least that was what you were saying when we had the universal healthcare debate a few weeks back.

I never said that.

Apr 1, 2020, 2:25 PM

I'm in IT; always have been. I have always worked in/around healthcare however.

I said if we moved to MCA model for healthcare, a lot of people who work in the RCM industry would lose their jobs. And they would.

No I specifically remember us talking about how

Apr 1, 2020, 2:30 PM

UHC would save money in the long run, you were saying it wouldn't and you said "this is what I do"

Not once did you say IT.

#### I wish the search function worked.

Search for it on Google.

Apr 1, 2020, 2:43 PM

use my user name and this site's qualifier name.

I thought you were teaching your students how to use Google?

and 10 what ping? 10 ms?

Apr 1, 2020, 1:17 PM [ in reply to Still get 10 ping playing fortnite over it, again, wrong. ]

I just pinged microsoft and got an average 51 ms response. Anything less than about 5 ms and you can use storage over IP for SQL servers. You could almost run a SQL server with remote storage on your fortnite servers.

Yes, ms. Just pinged google.com, 11ms, over VPN, 12ms***

Apr 1, 2020, 1:24 PM

Interesting.

Apr 1, 2020, 2:41 PM

I just logged into a server I have in our co-lo in Tampa Fl. I got a 19ms return from Microsoft over a 150 GB link directly off a backbone coming out of Atlanta.

You should carve up your pipe and sell it because you are getting better internet connection than we are. I signed the invoice for it last week but I can't remember the cost--I think it was about $3,500/month--but Id have to verify.

AT&T Fiber is pretty amazing. But it's residential, you have

Apr 1, 2020, 2:47 PM

certain guarantees and bandwidth guarantees with a business account, they're not the same.

But I just stay on VPN for most of my home use because I don't trust AT&T at all.

SLA’s, brah, SLA’s

Apr 1, 2020, 2:51 PM

You gotta say SLA’s if you wanna sound hip to the scene.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SLO's and SLA's brah***

Apr 1, 2020, 2:52 PM

But you trust a VPN company based out of the USA

Apr 1, 2020, 2:52 PM [ in reply to AT&T Fiber is pretty amazing. But it's residential, you have ]

specifically so they can skirt US law?

I'm not sure what you are doing, but it must be nefarious enough to warrant all those hoops.

They're based out of British Virgin Islands, not the US

Apr 1, 2020, 4:35 PM

And it's so I can use public wifi networks without any fear, so I could watch Netflix or access my company's e-mail while out of the country, I've even used it so I could download some Australian shows for a coworker (only allowed Australian IPs to download).

There's plenty of reasons to use a VPN for non-nefarious means, plus it's literally one hoop to jump through, and it's easy.

It also does help if I want to torrent something I don't need to worry.

And yes, they're a proven VPN provider, along with NordVPN and others.

*outside***

Apr 1, 2020, 4:37 PM [ in reply to But you trust a VPN company based out of the USA ]

Re: They specifically do not save logs or traffic data.

Apr 1, 2020, 12:14 PM [ in reply to They specifically do not save logs or traffic data. ]

How can they filter the noise?

Apr 1, 2020, 12:18 PM

Yet another under delivered promise of AI....

At some point it will be a utility

Apr 1, 2020, 11:25 AM

And you'll get it from your electric company. Whether its through li-fi, or EOP, you'll have a break out box on every electrical receptacle in your house.

Once we determine how to control routing over substations, it will be basically unlimited bandwidth everywhere that has street lights and electricity.

It should be decentralized... like everything else should be***

Apr 1, 2020, 1:12 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 50
| visibility 1,415
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic