Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Name a team in the ACC that will be worse in 2020
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,550

Name a team in the ACC that will be worse in 2020

Dec 17, 2019, 4:08 PM

When thinking about teams that could be better in 2020, several come to mind. But when it comes to who will take a step back, it gets difficult.

Obvious place to expect improvement: Louisville, FSU, UNC, GT.

Schools that you'd think would get better based on last 2-3 years: NC State, Syracuse, Duke

Schools you don't expect any drop off: UVA, VT, BC, Pitt.

That leaves: Miami, Wake.

Atlantic

Louisville - (7-5). Year 2 improvement could be big. I could see 9-10 wins next year. Satterfield is dayum good coach.

Wake Forest - (8-4) - Not sure I see any improvement here. 7-8 wins again at Wake.

FSU - (6-6) - Outside GT, they should make the biggest improvement. I can see 8-9 wins for them if things fall into place. There is still so much talent on the roster. If coached up and disciplined, they could be decent.

BC - (6-6) - I'm not sold on the new coach, but they return some good pieces. I can't see more than 7 wins though.

Syracuse - (5-7) - How did Syracuse win 10 games 2 years ago? Then, only win 5 this year? I can't see more than 7 wins.

NC State - (4-8) - They fell as bad as Syracuse did from 2 years ago (9-4). Still really young. No injuries, I can see them getting back to 7 wins.

Coastal

UVA - (9-4) - Bronco is building something. Unless there is massive shift in recruiting, I see them at their ceiling and sticking b/n 8-10 wins each year.

VT - (8-4) - Fuente discovered something mid season. What will they look like w/out Bud Foster. I think they're going be mirror images of UVA and stuck around 8-10 wins.

Miami - (6-6) - Here's a place I don't expect more wins. I wouldn't be surprised to see them with 5-6 wins next year. I don't think Manny has the chops to be a good head coach.

Pitt - (7-5). - Not enough to recruit to. Don't see them getting better than their 7-5 record.

UNC - (6-6) - Lots of positive momentum going for UNC and Mack Brown. I can see 8-4 or 9-3 next year going into the bowl game.

Duke - (5-7) - Seems like a good place for them. 5-6 wins next year.

GT - (3-9) - I could see them getting to 6-7 wins next year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Name a team in the ACC that will be worse in 2020

Dec 17, 2019, 4:44 PM

I agree with your assessment of each team especially Louisville. I could see them step up and present a challenge to Clemson at some point.

I see improvement across the league. Now we need these teams to take care of business out of conference throughout the year and beat some of their SEC rivals. We need 1 or 2 of these teams to rise above the rest and be ranked for at the end of next season.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2019, 5:14 PM

Losing Perking will be a huge hit to UVA's offense. I see them taking a step back next year.

Dec 17, 2019, 5:35 PM

Great Point.

If UVA took a step back, I don't think it would be more than 1 game. ND falls off their schedule, but, they pick up UGA to open the season.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only problem with that is...

Dec 17, 2019, 5:27 PM

Someone has to lose...therefore it will either be a case of minimal improvement and minor setbacks for most teams...or a few teams take big jumps and a couple of teams stay way down.
I doubt everyone all of a sudden sweeps their non-conference games either.
I can see certain teams improving...but in order for that to happen a couple of the others will have to go down or stay where they are.....can’t add three wins to half the teams without taking those wins from others.

For Clemson’s SOS, we mainly need one or two (like FSU & maybe a Louisville) from our division to be ranked. Throw in UVA next year since I think we play them. Not sure the rest (BC, Wake, NCSU, Cuse, GT) will see too much improvement.

Re: Only problem with that is...

Dec 17, 2019, 5:59 PM

That is exactly one of the points I wanted to see if anyone would pick up on.

Seems to be a lot of reason for optimism for a few schools. I would love nothing more than to see some of the parody go away the next 2-3 years and see schools like FSU, Louisville, UVA & VT find their way into the top 10-15.

I would also say Miami but,...man, are they hot garbage right now.

Dec 17, 2019, 5:29 PM

UVA - I was actually really impressed with Perkins, hadn't seen him before

Dec 17, 2019, 6:09 PM

Same here.

Nobody else I heard of made the reference, but he reminded a lot of Jalen Hurts his sophomore year when we beat Bama in the National Championship. Same Height, size, speed and weight. Similar game those two played. Of Course, Jalen is much different than that player he was 3 years ago.

Dec 17, 2019, 5:44 PM

Georgia Tech is not getting seven wins next year. They start the season with four automatic losses in Clemson, Georgia, Notre Dame, and UCF and only one automatic win with Gardner Webb. I don't see a path for them going 6-1 against the ACC Coastal + cuse. At best they go 4-3 and finish 5-7.

Dec 17, 2019, 6:06 PM

Good call on GT!

Didn't see both UCF and ND. Yep, 5-6 wins seems much more likely.

ND won't be until Nov 14th and UGA in Nov 28th, though.

Though, to their credit, recruiting last year and especially this year (4th in the conf currently) is light years ahead of anything under PJ. Another year in the system, and getting some better talent should be enough to push them to 5-6 wins.

What may help them will be that Syracuse will be their cross over game.

Dec 17, 2019, 5:53 PM

Who knows? No idea.

I think VT returns 22 starters....if this is true,

Dec 17, 2019, 6:50 PM

They might be about to turn the corner.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Counting kickers, that's correct

Dec 17, 2019, 11:49 PM

We lose one on defense and we're expected to lose one on offense as well (Jr Deshawn McClease is not expected back). FS Reggie Floyd is also gone... but he was one of the weaker players on defense. All-American CB Caleb Farley has already announced that he'll be back. It is possible that JR WR Damon Hazelton may go pro, though he'd be making a mistake.

So I would definitely expect improvement out of VT. We have an early test against Penn State that I'm looking forward to and it may end up being a battle of top 20 teams... maybe even top 15. At the end of the year, I think you'll see VT get to 9-3 or so. Hopefully we'll be facing yall in Charlotte.

Everyone cant improve their record... just not enough

Dec 17, 2019, 7:46 PM

conference wins to go around.

Well, if we finally lose a game along the way, I guess...

Dec 18, 2019, 7:04 AM

you could say Clemson.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,550
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic