Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone want a college basketball team? Damien Leonard,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

Anyone want a college basketball team? Damien Leonard,

Apr 26, 2013, 1:11 PM

RJ Slawson, Brian Richardson and Eric Smith have been released from their scholarships by Sleazeball Frank Martin. If not for football, I am sure Slawson's cousin / AAU teammate Bruce Ellington would be there with them (they were a package deal to USC). I am sure coot fans will spin this mightily (Coach deserves to have his own players, etc), but the bottom line is they need to get used to the revolving door. Martin is easily one of the worst people in basketball - he has no loyalty to his players and they have none for him.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

read a story on him when he was a high school coach

Apr 26, 2013, 1:14 PM

the guy is a total snake in the grass. He cheated his a22 off.

Absolutely - one of the reasons I call him "one of the worst

Apr 26, 2013, 1:22 PM

people in basketball" is because he learned at the foot of the master - Marcos "Shaky" Rodriquez, head coach at Miami Senior High - a master cheater and Martin's mentor.

When USC hired Frank Martin as its head basketball coach, they sent the exact message as UNC when they hired Butch Davis as head football coach. The Message is "We are Open for Business!"

Same as when they hired Spurlid

Apr 29, 2013, 9:33 PM

Character matters not. Win at all cost. All coot - all cost.

So glad Clemson's coaches have class.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Link to this?

Apr 26, 2013, 1:18 PM

want to c/p

Re: Link to this?

Apr 26, 2013, 2:55 PM

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f9/for-wally-the-frank-martin-story-about-miami-hs-88950.html

No need to spin it

Apr 26, 2013, 1:18 PM

what others think about it is irrelevant.

everyone knew this was coming.

Leonard and Richardson were barely playing any minutes at all by the end of the season- and missing entire games because they couldn't get it done in practice.

what others think about it is irrelevant?

Apr 26, 2013, 1:21 PM

better hope the recruits take on this mentality

Gonna be a long year next year as well

Apr 26, 2013, 1:27 PM

he signed some good recruits but will be playing with a bunch of freshmen who have never done it before(we know about that). Thornwell is a great recruit but not a game changer. Henry is a good recruit but is 200 lbs and now will be their primary interior threat(word used loosely). McKie and Theus are 2 star recruits, not saying they can't develop but, they are 2 star recruits. No one of impact returning and a good not great recruiting class equals a long year again, even if they play harder than the 4 who left

I doubt recruits worry about message board posters too much***

Apr 27, 2013, 9:55 PM [ in reply to what others think about it is irrelevant? ]

No need to spin this - Damien Leonard and Brian

Apr 26, 2013, 1:26 PM [ in reply to No need to spin it ]

Richardson will be eligible to play in the NCAA tournament their senior years and no one staying behind with Frank Martin will be able to say that!

LOL. Did you really type "no need to spin it"? That right

Apr 26, 2013, 5:46 PM [ in reply to No need to spin it ]

there is one of the funniest things I've ever read here.

ALL you ever do here is spin. How is it possible you can't see it? How can you not see you were spinning while writing "no need to spin it"? Hilarious.

You really are delusional. Seriously.

Much like Spurrier, this practice of kicking guys off them team to make room for others is despicable. But hey, at least Spurrier isn't quite as slimy as Martin. Sack is slimy, but he's not that slimy. At least you have that going for you.

Yes I did

Apr 27, 2013, 9:56 PM

And as I said- what others think about Martin doing it is irrelevant

That's why they hired him. He has no qualms cutting players

Apr 26, 2013, 1:25 PM

He enjoys it.

He will retool their team, but they will tire of abrasive personality within 5 years and he will moved on to another gig.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's what is so shortsighted about it - Slawson and

Apr 26, 2013, 1:41 PM

Leonard were 4 stars out of South Carolina high schools. Slawson was Mr. Basketball and Gatorade Player of the Year out of Fort Dorchester; Leonard was an ESPN and Rivals Top 100 player out of JL Mann. Slawson had one year left, Leonard two. Smith is a Mullins native who played at powerhouse Christ School up here near Asheville (Christ produced the Plumlee brothers and numerous other D1 players including former Gamecocks Malik Cook and Lakeem Jackson). He had one year left. Frank Martin is out of his mind if he thinks he is going to be let on Christ School property (the SC public school may have to let him on the property but he shouldn't expect anyone from Fort Dorchester or Mann). Then again, if your plan is to win ASAP at any cost and land a better gig before the NCAA comes sniffing, then all this is immaterial for Martin. USC? Not so much...

Re: Here's what is so shortsighted about it - Slawson and

Apr 26, 2013, 1:44 PM

Not being able to recruit SC players, if that happens, will cost him the chance at one real good player every 3 or 4 years. Sad, but this states doesn't churn out enough players to support one instate team, let alone two at the major level.

Re: Here's what is so shortsighted about it - Slawson and

Apr 26, 2013, 1:48 PM

That's about to change. Seventh Woods, the Dozier kid and the kid from the upstate will all be top 100 players. Unfortunately, I don't think we are on the short list with any of them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think you'll see that type of backlash. Kids don't

Apr 26, 2013, 1:45 PM [ in reply to Here's what is so shortsighted about it - Slawson and ]

seem too concerned about that kind of thing if the football oversigning is any indication.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, here's the long view, I guess: look, we've got a . . .

Apr 26, 2013, 6:27 PM [ in reply to Here's what is so shortsighted about it - Slawson and ]

giant-size arena we need to fill and we will . . .if we win. We trust in Frank and most people in Columbia LOVE his forthright personality. He reminds alot of us of the 'other' Frank who prowled the old Coliseum years ago. McGuire could be very 'New Yorker' in his mannerisms, but Carolina fans loved him. We love the new Frank, too. He'll do very well

Re You certainly have poor taste to like that pos.***

Apr 26, 2013, 7:04 PM

his forthright personality ==== He is a LIAR

Apr 29, 2013, 9:41 PM [ in reply to Well, here's the long view, I guess: look, we've got a . . . ]

Never heard that referred to a forthright. He said all four players asked for their release. Yeah, right. They were pushed out. Some of those kids only have one year of playing eligibility. Why would ANYONE leave for one season?

Re: Anyone want a college basketball team? Damien Leonard,

Apr 26, 2013, 1:35 PM

well we knew the numbers said he had to drop 4. just a matter of who it was

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Damien Leonard was highly regarded in high school.

Apr 26, 2013, 1:40 PM

He chose SC over Clemson, NC State, Arizona, etc. He was a 4 star and top 100 player. Not that we need more guards, but with the right coaching he might not be a bad addition if Brownell sees some potential there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Damien Leonard had very few options but $CU....

Apr 26, 2013, 1:48 PM

His stock had dropped so much by the time signing day rolled around, most of the teams in which he was really interested had stopped recruiting him (including Clemson).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Leonard dropped us from consideration when Purnell left

Apr 26, 2013, 2:04 PM

Not saying it might not have been a blessing in disguise - but we didn't stop recruiting him, we got dropped - and Leonard was in the final ESPN Top 100 and Rivals as well. Was he ranked higher earlier? Sure, but we were not in the position (if we ever have been) to turn our nose up at a Top 100 prospect.

Wrong.***

Apr 27, 2013, 10:56 PM

Re:Ollie was not sold on him.***

Apr 29, 2013, 9:00 PM [ in reply to Damien Leonard had very few options but $CU.... ]

Don't worry. I'm sure the local paper called the state will

Apr 26, 2013, 2:12 PM

call them (Martin and the usc athletic dept.) out for this rampant practice of cutting players. Should be a good piece and I look forward to reading it. Wonder how soon it will be before it comes out?

Re: Don't worry. I'm sure the local paper called the state will

Apr 26, 2013, 2:15 PM

Don't bet on it. Ever since Ron Morris ruffled Spurrier's feathers, the State has lost all of its b*lls.

Re: Don't worry. I'm sure the local paper called the state will

Apr 26, 2013, 6:35 PM

> Don't bet on it. Ever since Ron Morris ruffled
> Spurrier's feathers, the State has lost all of its
> b*lls.

Better than losing most of it's commercial ads, wouldn't you agree? We copied that tactic from you guys, i.e. the Greenville News Clemson boycott back in the 70's.

Re: All that to say "screwing the kids is just fine with us"

Apr 26, 2013, 7:13 PM

Yup Yup. Needs no spin at all.
USCjr soul is long since sold.

No way Damien Leonard could cut it at Clemson

Apr 26, 2013, 3:34 PM

Athletically or academically---too lazy & unmotivated. I've seen him play dozens of times at JLM & AAU and he is a 'floater' on perimeter with only a set shot & only gets to rim for a dunk on a breakaway or uncontested.

Are you guessing again? How's that worked out for you?***

Apr 26, 2013, 3:47 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 26, 2013, 6:53 PM

Martin has just signed the 23rd ranked class. I don't even remember the last time our basketball class was in the top 25. Plus he has the 4* transfer from Villanova coming in and the #1 player in the state, Marcus Stroman committed next year. LJ Peak, who will be the #2 player in the state next year is also very likely to sign with us. PJ Dozier's dad and uncle played here and his sister is on Dawn Staley's WBB team. So, it's very likely PJ comes here too. Don't worry too much about Martin, I think he's doing just fine.

Apr 26, 2013, 7:51 PM

yep at all costs right? Ethics dont matter.

null

Apr 27, 2013, 10:02 PM

Ethics? What are you talking about?

Clemson has never had a kid leave because of playing time or because they were not working out. Of course they have.

Is it ethical for a coach to let a kid stay when the coach has no plans to play them anymore? How ethical is that when a kid is no longer in the plans of a coach?

Stupid coot. Leaving and being let go are two entirely

Apr 27, 2013, 10:58 PM

different things.

Idiot coot. Martin LIED when he said kids asked for release

Apr 29, 2013, 9:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone want a college basketball team? Damien Leonard, ]

Right. LIAR. All four kids, some with one more year of eligibility all asked for their release. NOT plausable. LIAR coach. He is all yours, coots!!!!!

Apr 26, 2013, 8:21 PM

well if their only options were staying at south carolina and never playing or transferring, I would think most players would want to transfer right?

I'm not saying they were given the choice, but why would anyone that didn't commit to FM chose to sit on the bench for him when they could play elsewhere?

Agree 100% Frank Martin is sleazzzzzzy coach***

Apr 29, 2013, 9:31 PM

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic