Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Well boys, I went to Lake Russell this afternoon with
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 4,225

Well boys, I went to Lake Russell this afternoon with

Feb 18, 2020, 9:55 PM

Furious George and after getting on the water about 2 PM, we had caught a few fish when I heard thunder not too far away. Well, Furious doesn't give much thought to lightening, having already been struck TWICE, but Ole Spud does. Anyway, it wasn't too bad so we kept on fishing and catching some decent spots, when I make a cast and MY LINE BOWS UP TO THE SKY and STAYS THERE. I mean, I have had it float on me a few times,like I am sure some of you have if you fish very much. But this one was different. I told Furious it might be time to go because my line bowed up to the sky, NOT A GOOD SIGN. My friend, knowing me very well, DID NOT BELIEVE ME. And then we both cast towards the point at the same time. I swear on Steve Tanneyhill's mullet, this is the truth, that I cast my quarter ounce jig about 45 to 40 yards and my line floated up in a perfect arc at least 15 feet off the water and stayed there. I mean, it just floated in the air, AND SO DID FURIOUS'S. It stayed up in the air until I felt a tic, AND SET THE HOOK. Caught about a 2 pounder...but when I put my rod down and went to pick up another one , I got a shock from the static electricity in that rod like you have never seen. It was time to go! And we did....for 20 minutes, but when you are whackin'em.....you just have to go back until it gets too dark to see...

Well, that's all I've got. How long 'til Spring Ball?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well boys, I went to Lake Russell this afternoon with

Feb 18, 2020, 10:01 PM

Sounds like a fish tale to me , Spud . One with a little spice on it .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Furious may check in later and verify....***

Feb 18, 2020, 10:09 PM

Feb 18, 2020, 10:04 PM

I just want an invite to cook them for ya. I love fresh bass slow grilled with veggies. When I’m at the beach I love fresh dolphin grilled. Glad y’all stayed safe and had a good time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

We'll have to try that this spring....***

Feb 18, 2020, 10:15 PM

I've lived on Lake Murray for 40 years and have ridden

Feb 19, 2020, 5:49 AM

a few storms out, but only on a cruiser I owned...never on a ski boat, sailboat or pontoon.

There's something about heavy thunder, lightning and gusting winds with white caps that just never interested me nor neighbors here, so we usually head to port quickly. But over the years I have been out late at night at one of the marinas and had to pilot home in rough seas, as they say. Visitors unused to it never have been particularly enthusiastic, I might add. lol.

Also, for newcomers my advice has remained the same over the years: get off the water ASAP, watching the skies.

Glad you and Furious were safe and had a good day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've lived on Lake Murray for 40 years and have ridden

Feb 19, 2020, 6:22 AM

At 6 years old. About 50 years ago. My dad sunk a boat on Murray. He and I and two others were stranded on an island for a couple of days. A plane found us. It was February as I recall.
Live on Lanier now. Haven’t fished Lake Russell. Yet.

I'm with you 100%! I got caught on Lake Murray

Feb 19, 2020, 8:00 AM [ in reply to I've lived on Lake Murray for 40 years and have ridden ]

one time in a 16 ft fish and ski, mostly because of my own ignorance. About the scariest thing I've ever done. Even worse than the time the bow went vertical. Will never let that happen again.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2020, 6:47 AM

Ole Spud is telling the truth, no fish story there. I was out fishing with my dad years ago and you could hear thunder in the distance, I mean way in the distance, sun was shining where we were at. I made a cast and the hair on my arm stood up. I had heard about line hanging straight out in the air before from guys. My dad was not one to mess with the weather. As soon as I mentioned it to him, that was it we put that boat on the trailer.

"Whackin' "em" ain't worth gettin" whacked.....

Feb 19, 2020, 7:01 AM

I be heading' for the shore when that happens.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How true is this "fish" tail...?

Feb 19, 2020, 7:42 AM

Furious george® :)

Honeslty, I enjoy your fishing post Spud!! Keep casting and keep catching!!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 19, 2020, 8:04 AM

With all the rain and new water running into the lakes an rivers I am surprised anything is biting.

I flew over the Ohio River Monday on my way back from Louisville and it is out of its banks and the 2 damns I saw had the gates open and water still going over the top. Then the Mississippi is another animal altogether with flooding.

When all this runoff hits the low country, Santee and others, they could flood again like 2 or 3 years ago. Everyone be safe on the water!

I have been fishing Russell for 35 years. I have never seen

Feb 19, 2020, 9:47 AM

it this high. The river channels are marked with telephone polls, many of which have osprey nests on top of them. The nests are usually 6 to 10 feet above you. Friday when I went, I was standing up running the trolling motor when I went right beside one. I could look DOWN inside the nest......

Re: I have been fishing Russell for 35 years. I have never seen

Feb 19, 2020, 9:55 AM

Wow

The Santee is already bank to bank

Feb 19, 2020, 1:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Well boys, I went to Lake Russell this afternoon with ]

from the McClellanville side to the Georgetown side on Highway 17.

All the ricefield dikes are under water and there is no North and South Santee - just one river there.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Feb 19, 2020, 12:46 PM

Awe. C'mon now friend. In the first place, why, O Why were you out around water like that. Spud, watch out !

Feb 19, 2020, 12:47 PM

By the way, is Furious kin to CURIOUS ?

Feb 19, 2020, 1:02 PM

No fish story; that’s happened to me a few times fishing around Charleston esp in the summer when thunderheads sprout out of no where. I think it the static in the air building. Anyone have a scientific explanation?

Seems to happen more when we’re in an all aluminum Duracraft than our fiberglass one.

Replies: 17
| visibility 4,225
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic