Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"Pay to Play" is an inaccurate title for that law . . .
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

"Pay to Play" is an inaccurate title for that law . . .

Oct 3, 2019, 9:52 AM

. . . and that is precisely why anyone telling you that this is not a slippery slope is dead wrong.

In short, the law has nothing to do with "paying to play," - player "compensation," etc. Rather, it is an attempt to bar the NCAA and it's members from certain contractual agreements - i.e. that they are not allowed to limit eligibility based on players' profit from image and likeness. For the record, I think the NCAA should find a way to protect the sport from professionalization whilst still allowing players to use their image/likeness rights. That said, I also don't think contract rights of the NCAA and it's members is the state of CA's business.

But in any event, this has nothing at all to do with compensation by the school in the vein of something like employment, AND YET, The Peoples' Republic of North Kor- [ahem] I mean, California, has named the law as if it did. And why? Precisely b/c they are angling, like so many others, to have this be the first domino in an actual pay for play scheme later on.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A typical form of cheating used to be no-show jobs

Oct 3, 2019, 10:11 AM

for players given by boosters.

If the CA policy were enacted, it would basically let the bagman come out in the open.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, actually I see what you mean . . .

Oct 3, 2019, 10:21 AM

And I agree. I'm not really for the law right now, b/c I don't think anyone (CA, the NCAA, etc), has given serious thought about how to properly discern and regulate in a way that would avoid being overbroad without being ineffective, and so yes, what you say would happen would indeed happen. CA and the media and many fans just want to pass laws now and ask questions later. In theory, I'd like to allow NIL rights without prohibiting *all* forms of NIL rights exercise. But it needs to be thought through first, not just rushed in to.

correction . . .

Oct 3, 2019, 10:30 AM

I was redundant there -- what I mean to say was that in theory, I'd like to allow NIL rights without allowing (if possible), the floodgates of fraud open.

Really, the government named something wrong?

Oct 3, 2019, 10:25 AM

"Patriot Act"
"No Child Left Behind"
"Affordable Care Act"

Funny.

Re: "Pay to Play" is an inaccurate title for that law . . .

Oct 3, 2019, 10:31 AM

You make really good points. It isn't "Pay for Play" just yet - at least from the University's perspective. It also for contractual agreements for the players to advertise. At least that's how I understand the bill.

Oct 3, 2019, 12:15 PM

Incredibly slippery slope. You’ll see a race to the bottom scenario between states to offer the best competitive legal advantage to their in state schools. Easy to envision big $$$ boosters pooling funds to “buy” players up and down the roster. You could have a billionaire booster at Stanford offer a qb like DJU $1m a yr for his NIL and to go to Pali Alto, put it in a disclosed K to the University, all above board and legal. Should be great for college football and bball! ??

Oct 3, 2019, 12:17 PM

Funny thing is that they are already paid a fortune to play.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic