Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dear Dan: Dan Scott Answers Reader E-mail
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Oct 1, 2007, 4:46 PM

Fans have the expected concerns after last Saturday's 13-3 loss at Georgia Tech. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dear lord some of our FANS suck***

Oct 1, 2007, 5:25 PM

Its the same every year. The love/hate CTB curse

Oct 1, 2007, 5:37 PM

You love him as long as everything is going good, but let some adversity get in and the hate is back, happens every year. I guess after 9 seasons you're stuck.

Re: Dear lord some of our FANS suck***

Oct 2, 2007, 4:31 PM [ in reply to Dear lord some of our FANS suck*** ]

I HAVE BEEN A "RABID" CLEMSON FAN SINCE 1956 . UNDER TB WE WILL NEVER GET IT DONE ! HE WILL WIN 7-8 GAMES A YEAR , WHICH INCLUDES 3 CUP CAKES EACH YEAR , & HE THINKS THAT THIS IS WONDERFUL ! WE LOSE TO THE SAME TEAMS YEAR IN & YEAR OUT. WE NEED A CHANGE IN TIGER TOWN.

Most People Don't Get it....

Oct 1, 2007, 6:45 PM

I'm sure I have at least one thing in common with a few others on this board... I played H.S. and College sports at a pretty high level. And like some of you, I've been through the glory days of being ranked #1 and the through the valleys of a one win season. But one thing remained the same on all teams and in all situations. We all wanted to win. Sure, some may have wanted it more than others, but we all practiced hard, studied every night and tried to do what our coaches told us and taught us to do. And here's what most do'nt get.... had we executed exactly as the coaches had asked us to do, we would have won many of the games we lost. I'm not saying that it's always the players fault when we get an L, but one thing is for certain -- most coaches have solid game plans going into a game. The GT game can't be blamed solely on the coaches. Missed field goals and dropped passes are a product of poor execution and concentration. One could argue that we shouldn' have had to try FGs at such distances, but Mark can make those, and he didn't.

There isn't a person on any chat board in America, smarter in the game of football than any coach in the NCAA. None of us could manage a game better than a Div 1 coach, any more so than TB could come do my job and be successful. But I have to say, last Saturday, there were PLENTY of players around the country that wouldn't have made the mistakes our players made against GT.

Bottom line: Players make or break plays. Coaches design them. If you think we should have passed when we ran, or kicked when we should have gone for it, that's your right. But to argue the point as if you know more than a coach, well... that's just either ignorance or arrogance.

Eitherway, lets focus on VT. You can bet our coaches are!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

RU, it also ignores the fact that Harper has plenty of

Oct 1, 2007, 7:31 PM

opportunities to get out of bad plays. Once the play clock is running down, he's got to be the one who is looking over the defense, as well as his receivers and the running backs who may need to adjust to block. And let's face it: Spiller still doesn't know how to block.

Well, I'll never question a coach again***

Oct 1, 2007, 7:45 PM [ in reply to Most People Don't Get it.... ]

I disagree. Great coaches win a lot more than mediocre ones.

Oct 1, 2007, 8:46 PM [ in reply to Most People Don't Get it.... ]

Spence & Bowden are mediocre. The great coaches (and their staffs) do a better job:
* Creating game plans,
* Position-coaching players,
* Drilling their players,
* Benching poor performers,
* Motivating the players, every week,
* Recruiting players,
* Paying attention to details (e.g. special team blocking, or recruiting a FG kicker),
* Adjusting tactics & personnel during the game.

That's why great coaches win consistently, whereas Bowden has consistently led Clemson to the middle of the pack for 8 years. Spence and Bowden know more about football than most fans, including me. But with regard to the aforementioned attributes of great coaches, even a reasonably knowledgable fan can see that Clemson's coaches are not great coaches.

For example, when you watch a Spurrier-coached team, you get the feeling that they're always ready to play, and that they can even beat a more talented team (like when SoCar beat Clemson last year). He adjusts. He takes risks. He wins, whether he's coaching Duke to an ACC title, or Florida to a national championship.

If Spurrier's team is down by 10 points with 5 minutes left, you almost pity the other team because you know he'll engineer two scoring drives.

On the rare occassion that an inferior team beats Spurrier, it's surprising. But it's pretty typical for inferior teams to beat Clemson.

The good coaches adjust and come back. Clemson's opponents adjust and come back (like FSU this year). But I never feel like Clemson adjusts. If Clemson is down in the second half, you never think they'll come back.

The great coaches (and great leaders in business, military, or wherever) have fire in their belly. They're consumed with winning. And they pay great attention to details. Bowden just isn't one of those people. He can lead Clemson to 8-4 seasons if we play 3-4 cupcakes, but not to the top tier.

Never said TB was a great coach....

Oct 1, 2007, 9:58 PM

... but you are very insightful. "Great coaches win a lot more than mediocre ones." Did you come up with that all on your own? Thanks for the insight and wisdom.

You wrote: "Players make or break plays." Very insightful 2!

Oct 2, 2007, 12:44 AM

The difference between us is that when you said something obvious, I didn't attack you personally. RU4GOD? Which religion condones personal attacks?

I didn't say that you said that the coaches were great. But you sure seem to defend them pretty vigorously while deriding the naivety of the fans. Not me. I played football in college too. And I understand why the fans are tired of being fans under the mediocre Bowden regime. I want Clemson to hire a top tier coach so that an occassional upset is really an occassional upset, not something that happens about half the time you play a decent team.

Re: You wrote: "Players make or break plays." Very insightful 2!

Oct 2, 2007, 8:02 PM

You said: "I want Clemson to hire a top tier coach so that an occassional upset is really an occassional upset, not something that happens about half the time you play a decent team."

Can't argue there... good point.

Re: I disagree. Great coaches win a lot more than mediocre ones.

Oct 1, 2007, 10:33 PM [ in reply to I disagree. Great coaches win a lot more than mediocre ones. ]

Using your reasoning:
Urban Meyer should be fired for losing to Auburn
Rutgers should fire their head coach for losing to Maryland
Oklahoma should fire their guy
Pete Carroll only beat Washington by 3, he should resign
Our coaches have done an awesome job recruiting good players. That is their strength. Rob Spence had a great game plan. I'm sure his plan did not involve 8 dropped passes and 4 missed field goals, not to mention 2 personal fouls at critical times during the game. A coach's job is to put players in a position to make plays. Rob did that Saturday. It's easy to blame coaches, but who could do better? Urban Meyer? Nick Saban? It's called parity. We ARE competing every year for an ACC championship now. Our talent level improves with each recruiting class. We can still win it this year.

Top tier coaches lose OCCASSIONALLY. Not regularly.

Oct 2, 2007, 2:10 AM

Of course, even the best coaches lose occassionally. But Bowden REGULARLY loses to teams with less talent-- nine years running.

To answer your question, yes Urban Meyer or Nick Saban could do better. If we had either of them for a head coach, we would have won the ACC last year and probably this year too. Same goes for Spurrier, Stoops, Carroll, et al.

Spence had a great game plan? Yeah... maybe BEFORE the game started. The problem is that he doesn't adjust during the game. He's so predictable and conservative that the defense know what's coming, which makes it a lot harder for our players to make the plays. You think Spurrier or Meyer would have called runs on the opening play for 7 of their first 9 drives? So predictable.

If TB were bringing home conference championships and had Clemson in the top tier occassionally, fans could forgive the occassional upset. But for EIGHT YEARS, he's finished middle-of-the-pack while regularly getting beat by less talented teams. So fans get rightfully upset.

Including tiebreaker criteria, we finished 5th, 6th, and 7th in the ACC over the last 3 years. When you say "we ARE competing every year for an ACC championship" I guess you mean that we ARE playing the other ACC teams. That's true.

I'd be shocked if Clemson got to Jacksonville.

The player talent continues to improve, but the coaching remains mediocre.

Re: I disagree. Great coaches win a lot more than mediocre ones.

Oct 2, 2007, 10:48 AM [ in reply to I disagree. Great coaches win a lot more than mediocre ones. ]

Good and accurate post.

Re: Most People Don't Get it....

Oct 2, 2007, 10:52 AM [ in reply to Most People Don't Get it.... ]

I can't believe anyone would continue to back TB after the same mistakes year after year.

We have failed to improve our special teams and red zone offense, the two major concerns after last year. If that isn't coaching I don't know what is.

What proves to me it is coaching is GT didn't execute either, they had plenty of dropped passes, a turnover on the first play and yet they still won and won pretty handily against TB.

If GT did execute better than us I could chalk up the loss to poor execution but they didn't and we got outcoached yet again by an inferior team, Maryland last year comes to mind very fast.

Yes. UMD & SoCar out-coached (not out-played) us last year.****

Oct 2, 2007, 11:58 AM

10 points = pretty handily???***

Oct 2, 2007, 4:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Most People Don't Get it.... ]

Re: 10 points = pretty handily???***

Oct 3, 2007, 10:04 AM

Did you watch that game??

It would have been by far more than 10 points if the defense didn't play so well and the GT offense wasn't so bad.

Anyway, my point was that we got outcoached again by a team with far inferior talent on the field and it is unbelieveable that TB doesn't get more crap for his poor coaching.

Did you watch the game?

Oct 3, 2007, 10:18 AM

You say if GT didn't play so badly they would have won handily. Well on the flipside, IF we didn't play so badly we would have won going away!!! Either argument is purely speculation at this point and it is way past time to start focusing on Virginia Tech!!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dear Dan: Dan Scott Answers Reader E-mail

Oct 1, 2007, 7:55 PM

Dan,

Good responses to some crazy fans. I know the investment thing is a awful way to think as a fan. I was in Atlanta on Saturday and was very disappointed in the outcome. I have traveled to many away games and bowl games too.
I do it because I love Clemson Football reguardless of the outcome. I want to be an elite team and hopefully we will be in the future but the most important thing to me is supporting those guys on the field and doing something I love.

Go Tigers!

I feel your pain with the Reds and Bengles try being a Falcons Fan.

Oct 1, 2007, 8:18 PM

I think these fans have good points, I also think dan makes Good points. I think that these fans are in a round about way looking at the coaches. I like tommy as a person but it comes down to coaching and I wonder if he is good enough to take this team to the next level. From what I have heard and read I think people are doubting the coaching dept. mostly their play calling and game prep. I keep hearing "mediocre" alot. Fans want consistency, at this time I think there is a chance to prove people wrong by finishing strong, I hope they do.

Great E-mail Kara. Sounds like you understand

Oct 1, 2007, 9:31 PM

the winning mentality. Dan did not address TB comment about being 4-1. You are exactly right in my book. You have every reason to be confused.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, but I wonder what she does when Wofford loses.....

Oct 1, 2007, 9:54 PM

have they really figured it out? When's the last time Wofford won a championship? Didn't they get handled by NCSU this year? Don't they lose conference games every year? I'm just curious as to how their losses are somehow different than Clemson's loss on Saturday.

There's losing, and there's losing bad

Oct 2, 2007, 7:26 AM

Example: How many of us were calling for Bowden's head after losing in triple OT to Miami? We played our butts off that game, left it all out on the field. I can think of similar efforts where we were simply bested in an outstanding contest.

Then there are the bad losses like Maryland last year and GT this year, where we look thoroughly unprepared either mentally or game-plan wise, and the team's attitude is nowhere to be found. Those are the frustrating losses.

Who's responsibility is it to leave it all on the field?

Oct 2, 2007, 8:12 AM

Since the coaches don't enter the field of play I assume it must be something only the players can do. Our team was in position to make plays and did not.

Re: Great E-mail Kara. Sounds like you understand - 2

Oct 2, 2007, 10:49 AM [ in reply to Great E-mail Kara. Sounds like you understand ]

Good points Kara and many of us agree. We expect and should demand more return on our investment and our school. Medocrity is not acceptable.

Not so Great E-mail Kara. Sounds like you don't get it

Oct 2, 2007, 1:59 PM [ in reply to Great E-mail Kara. Sounds like you understand ]

This is one loss people...get over it...here is a guarantee, we will loose again! And when we do we will have the same people saying the same things. Dan was right on...choose to support the team or choose not to, but don't start the complaining after the first loss! Gesshh!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same S**t, Different Year........Blah Blah blah......***

Oct 1, 2007, 10:09 PM

just a bunch of fluff...try to answer some of the harder

Oct 1, 2007, 11:54 PM

questions next time like...

Why do special teams continually suck? Does SoCal or UF or LSU or any other team worth a toot go into a 3 game stretch hoping to come out 2-1? Why does Bowden continue to sh*t the bed on games where his teams outmatch opponents on paper?

sorry but just continually frustrated...thats all.

Oct 2, 2007, 9:54 PM

Dan,here's my problem with what happened saturday.First of all with the talent we have on this team we should run right through the acc,but as I watched the game this past weekend it looked to me as if the players and coaches dont really care about winning or realize how much punishment us fans have to go through each week because they decide to play flat or stick with a gameplan that is not working.I'm sick of standing up for them if they are not going to give 100 percent.Now I can handle losing to a better team but G.T. is not better.I'm going to always pull for the tigers no matter what but I might just quit telling anyone.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic