Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Just a reminder, our justice system is ####ed
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 587

Just a reminder, our justice system is ####ed

Sep 5, 2020, 11:14 AM

I followed this case because I listen to In the Dark. ####ing six trials and 23 years of a man's life. It's also interesting that the SCOTUS even took the case let alone overturned it. Let's be real, if the prosecutor had been a little more subtle with his totally not at all systemic racism, this guy would still be in jail. I know I was brought up believing that if you don't do anything wrong, you don't have anything to worry about, but hopefully none of us are that naive anymore.

https://www.apmreports.org/episode/2020/09/04/charges-against-curtis-flowers-are-dropped

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just a reminder, our justice system is ####ed

Sep 5, 2020, 11:20 AM

your link proves the justice system is not ####ed

"Executive Director of the Death Penalty Information Center, which estimates that roughly 4 percent of death row inmates in the United States are innocent."

96% success rate is #### good for any human endeavor

might make sense...

Sep 5, 2020, 11:29 AM

if the man didn't remain in jail after the state Supreme Court hadn't continually overturned the convictions.

There was certainly a problem with the local system.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only 4%!!!! It's just people's lives we're talking about.

Sep 5, 2020, 11:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Just a reminder, our justice system is ####ed ]

Nothing important.

Re: Only 4%!!!! It's just people's lives we're talking about.

Sep 5, 2020, 11:38 AM

humans are flawed

give me an estimate of guilty people who walked, most likely more than 4%, system seems solid

our system is supposed to let guilty people walk...

Sep 5, 2020, 11:40 AM

if their guilt cannot be proven. That is the ideal I thought.

Benjamin Franklin's version of Blackstone's Ratio is very commonly quoted. Other commentators have echoed the principle; Benjamin Franklin stated it as, "it is better 100 guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: our system is supposed to let guilty people walk...

Sep 5, 2020, 11:42 AM

then the system is not out of whack, working as designed

We obviously went to different schools.

Sep 5, 2020, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Only 4%!!!! It's just people's lives we're talking about. ]

I know I was taught that it's more important to protect the innocent. We could get rid of all the criminals if we just locked everyone up without any proof or trial or anything, but that pesky Constitution keeps getting in the way.

Re: We obviously went to different schools.

Sep 5, 2020, 11:43 AM

but the guy had a trial, even had 6 was given an opportunity for a seventh

how is that a bad system?

Shirley, you can't be serious.

Sep 5, 2020, 11:52 AM

All that it took was six trials and the ####ing intervention of the Supreme Court for this guy to go free after 23 years. Practically a bargain. Look at all the resources it took for this guy and the practically overt racism in play in Mississippi: how many other innocent people are in jail right now or worse how many dead?

Re: Shirley, you can't be serious.

Sep 5, 2020, 11:54 AM

looks like the system worked eventually , what would you replace it with, sharia?

That's where your mind takes you?***

Sep 5, 2020, 12:01 PM

this is where, because of politics, we lose all objectivity

Sep 5, 2020, 12:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Shirley, you can't be serious. ]

why is the opposite of trying to fix a system to throw out an extreme like sharia law? Our judicial system theoretically is the best in the world, but there are obvious dysfunctions.

Re: this is where, because of politics, we lose all objectivity

Sep 5, 2020, 12:06 PM

why is sharia considered extreme? i think it takes 4 male witnesses to come forward to convict someone of rape, that is rock solid for not convicting innocent people

IF 100% chance of not convicting innocent people is the desired outcome

I’m pro-capital punishment but if 4% is accurate, I’d have

Sep 5, 2020, 11:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Just a reminder, our justice system is ####ed ]

to rethink that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I could only support capital punishment if two requirements

Sep 5, 2020, 12:05 PM

were met. 1. 100% certainty an innocent person was not being put to death. 2. It could be proven beyond all doubt that the death penalty reduced the murder rate.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I would say that sucks...

Sep 5, 2020, 11:27 AM

but that seems woefully insufficient to describe what that man went through

Re: I would say that sucks...

Sep 5, 2020, 11:31 AM

I'm not sure if it's my work environment, DC, or maybe everyone now a days, but I listen to a lot of true crime podcasts. They make for good water cooler talk that isn't strictly partisan politics. There's obviously some heuristics involved, but man it paints a different picture of the justice system.

Sep 5, 2020, 11:38 AM

my wife watches that stuff all the time too.

The justice system is screwed up. I think it's clear that Blacks are treated different, and while I acknowledge some of it is racist, much of it is driven by $$$$. In most places the average citizen cannot even have an audience with a judge without shelling out thousands to a lawyer. If you go the public defender route, you're screwed.

I THINK most often in cases like you cited here, justice is only served when a good lawyer takes it on pro bono or people outside the family raise money to hire someone.

Sep 5, 2020, 11:42 AM

It's almost like it discriminates against poor people. Welcome to the systemic racism fight franc.

Sep 5, 2020, 11:45 AM

then you and trump are on the same team, trying to fix biden's crime bill

Message was edited by: ClemsonRangers®

Sep 5, 2020, 11:54 AM

It's a start, even though I'd argue it's largest effect will be turning for-profit prisons into for-profit probation.

I've been on that train...

Sep 5, 2020, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Re: I would say that sucks... ]

since all this stuff started. I'm ready for the violence to stop and our politicians to get together and start working on this.

I have experienced the corruption of the justice system trying to get my falsely accused brother out of jail for over a year. The good ol' boy networking is unbelievable.

Re: Just a reminder, our justice system is ####ed

Sep 5, 2020, 12:26 PM

To promote the quickness and effectiveness of an investigation cops take a 'most likely suspect,' and eventually convince themselves they were right all along. When child goes missing the parents become the prime suspect, a woman or husband is murdered and the spouse is primary, in other cases the most likely becomes the one of the victims' close associates which has the worst criminal record.

Usually, the poor get stuck having to plea and "voila," the case is closed. How do you think Tre Goudy has a 100% conviction rate? How did Kamala become a Senator? When prosecutors aspire to hold higher office the horrible treatment of the poor is one of the first rungs on the ladder. Yet, we continue to elect these people to serve us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Welcome to the fight 88.***

Sep 5, 2020, 12:31 PM

And the guy in the White House is the only one to do anythin

Sep 5, 2020, 12:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Just a reminder, our justice system is ####ed ]

about it

End of Quote Joe's been in DC for 47 yrs...nothing except that pesky little crime bill he proudly authored.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

EVERYTHING HAS TO BE ABOUT TRUMP

Sep 5, 2020, 2:29 PM

Replies: 26
| visibility 587
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic