Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Weird Prod Poll Wrap Up: What I Learned
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 348

Weird Prod Poll Wrap Up: What I Learned

Nov 20, 2019, 10:09 AM

So, if you didn't see or don't remember, I posted last week asking folks to tell me what their impressions of my posts where in three areas: what my political beliefs are, what my religious beliefs are, and the general traits, good or bad, of my posts.

I did not get as many responses as I hoped, but I got enough to learn some things, and even confirm some things I suspected to be true.

Politics:
While most people thought I leaned conservative, I got at least one response saying I was left-leaning, and several that identified me as a moderate.

The truth is, at least according to my definition of the word, I consider myself to be a very strong conservative. I believe in small federal government, reduced spending, as little taxes as possible, and free trade. I'm not fan of fighting wars all over the world with a nebulous goal. I see strong border security as essential and I'm in favor of more strict immigration policies. I've come down more in favor of "the wall" than not at this point. I want reduced regulations and conservative judges who interpret the Constitution according to original intent. I believe the government should have no say over religion, but I believe religion must have a say in our government if it is to be effective.

I do believe in some increased gun control, which may be considered by some to be a "liberal" position. Stronger background checks are obviously needed, and I'd support the banning of certain types of weapons that serve no practical purpose beyond killing a lot of people. I am completely against any mandatory confiscation of people's property.

I do not like the "two-party" system and try very hard to avoid thinking in terms of political parties. That said, I have never voted for a Democrat in my life, and have no immediate plans to. Not because of what party they belong to...it's just I've never encountered one that I thought was the best candidate for their office. Their stance on the unborn is usually a quick dealbreaker.

The main, specific, political opinion most people know is that I'm completely against the slaughter of unborn children (I don't use the word "abortion" because I think it's a repulsive euphemism for murder). I do not believe in any "exception" that make this murder OK, except for one that I believe would be extremely rare: if it is medically guaranteed that *neither* the mother nor child can survive if the pregnancy continues. (Then it's more like removing someone from life support who has no hope of survival.)

Now, why didn't I get many responses saying how conservative I was? It's a simple answer. I don't post about those things. This is completely my fault. Most of my posts on politics deal with whether I agree with the President or not about something. I don't believe someone's political views should be determined by if they support some individual. But if I don't give you anything else to go on, then what are you to think?

Religion:

Most know generally where I stand on this. I believe that I am going to heaven when I die because I trusted Jesus Christ as my Savior when I was seven years old, which saved me from an eternity in a literal, burning hell. I believe this is the only way to go to heaven instead of hell, according to the Bible. I believe that the Bible is the literal Word of God, and I use the King James Version exclusively.

I got one person who said I was Southern Baptist, which is close. I am a born-again Christian first, and a Baptist second, though I do not and have never attended a church in the Southern Baptist Convention. (We call that "Independent Baptist" where I'm from.) I don't like the "Evangelical" label because it lumps a bunch of very different doctrines into one group, but I certainly believe in evangelizing, spreading the Gospel. I attend and am a deacon at a very traditional church that still uses a hymn book, no lyrics on screen, no "praise bands," and no pop/rock sounds, and where the preaching lasts twice as long as the music portion of the service.

I do think I could do a better job posting more often on these topics. But I don't believe I'm giving anyone a wrong impression, except people may not know just how "fundamental"/traditional I really am.

General attitudes:

I got a lot of compliments here, and I thank you for that. I was hoping to get more negative feedback, and I did get a little bit. I had a couple of people say that I post sometimes asking questions I already know the answer to. And I think that's true. I've admitted to that before, in fact. I like to be challenged in my beliefs by people asking questions, so sometimes I like to dish questions like that out, to make people think about why they believe what they believe.

I honestly thought I would get more people saying that my posts have a prideful air, because I've thought that myself. Sometimes I think my posts make it sound like I think I'm better or smarter, or on a higher plane of thinking than others. I want avoid conveying that. There's a fine line between defending what I believe to be true, and being condescending to those who disagree.

Anyways, if you've made it this far, thanks. I've got some things I can do better.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't contribute because I read the Bible and know...

Nov 20, 2019, 10:29 AM

exactly on which Rock you stand. That reveals more about your position on politics than you believe is comfortable to you.

Your politics is crystal clear but at times you intentionally attempt straddle the fence in to avoid looking political. That is not a charge against you.

You are fully aware that neither Christ, Paul or the early church got involved in politics and therefore suffer some guilt for participating here, how well I appreciate that.

Just how much more do you want from me?

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not looking for anything, and appreciate your words.***

Nov 20, 2019, 10:31 AM

Well I'm not done.

Nov 20, 2019, 10:44 AM

Your obligation to God Almighty includes treating your wife like Christ treats His church. You give yourself for her and at times when conflicts arise you continue to make decisions on what's best for her which is very difficult for you.

Your consolation is that she will yield to your love not your position at head of the family. Non Bible readers are confused so you never attempt to explain.

You treat your children the same way. You say yes every time you can but you insist on no when you must. They respect you for the same reason your wife does, they know you're watching and acting on their best interest.

Typically, politics is trivial to you. The previous paragraphs are what matters to you and this board is more entertainment than real life. That's how you maintain a levelness toward me when I push you on an issue. Sometimes it embarrasses me to go so hard but you've influenced me more than God has revealed to you up to this point. I have held back saying these things intentionally. I do not know why, perhaps you can tell me?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think most of us would rather treat this

Nov 20, 2019, 10:48 AM

as entertainment, as opposed to taking it too seriously. I'm probably one of the worst at taking it more seriously than I ought, as this whole "poll" campaign clearly illustrates. So it's OK if we don't get too personal in our comments to each other. It's probably better that way.

Though I agree with the attitudes toward family that you posted, we do not yet have children. But I like what you said. :)

It works.***

Nov 20, 2019, 10:51 AM

I didnt see your post but I would

Nov 20, 2019, 11:23 AM

have labeled you a traditional conservative on politics and a fundamentalist on religion.

I consider myself to be a libertarian/conservative on politics and a mainline protestant on religion.

as for general attitudes, I'm highly skeptical of just about everything and I trust almost no one.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All that and you never touched on

Nov 20, 2019, 11:35 AM

abortion. Although I'm pretty sure I know the answer.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

I think you missed a paragraph in my post.

Nov 20, 2019, 11:36 AM

;)

Damm, I sure did

Nov 20, 2019, 11:41 AM

and it says exactly what I expected it to say

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

Southern baptist RINO republican

Nov 20, 2019, 2:58 PM

Was pretty close.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 348
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic