Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We would be an NCAAT team had we played in the new LJ
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

We would be an NCAAT team had we played in the new LJ

Mar 2, 2016, 9:51 AM

this year... that will be corrected next year.

However...if JB leaves, I think you have to account for that when you evaluate Brownell. That would mean he's starting over, similar to the KJ mess he had to endure.

He would probably need to be given at least 3 more years if JB leaves. Being in the new LJ should soften the blow, though.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably yes

Mar 2, 2016, 9:57 AM

Maybe no

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I think we go to the tournament for sure if..

Mar 2, 2016, 9:59 AM

Blossongame returns. I see some weakness at center, but I think we will still be improved. If Blossongame bolts I see another NIT or something sub par.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My whole thing is give him one more year regardless.

Mar 2, 2016, 9:59 AM

If JB returns and the transfers are as good as expected, we'll make the tournament. If we battle around .500 again next year, regardless of the transfers or if JB leaves, clearly we need a new direction. You can't fire him because of a "disappointing season" this year when the expectations for this team were slim to none.

I like BB and think he's a pretty good coach but we fell off this year after a promising start and its leaving a sour taste in everyone's mouth. It'll be interesting to see the turnout at the new LJ next year and I believe it will tell exactly what the students/fanbase thinks of the program. If its mediocre (like the last few years under BB), we need new leadership IMO. There's no more excuses. If its jam packed every game and its a legit tough place to play and the product is good on the court, BB will stay.

maybe you could explain how

Mar 2, 2016, 10:04 AM

overcoming sh!tty expectations every year has become the measure for retention

Yeah, that's one defense I don't understand. It's as though

Mar 2, 2016, 10:06 AM

some unknown person is responsible for recruiting or we are still playing with OP's players.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see what you're saying.

Mar 2, 2016, 12:57 PM [ in reply to maybe you could explain how ]

But I just don't think Clemson is an attractive place for recruits and it never really has been. We need someone who gets their "guys" and brings out the best in them. I like what BB is doing on the transfer market but his recruiting the past 4 years or so has been really bad. I just don't think a new coach would make measures drastically better.

Whose fault is it that expectations this year were slim to

Mar 2, 2016, 10:05 AM [ in reply to My whole thing is give him one more year regardless. ]

none? Maybe playing in Greenville had something to do with that, but I think those expectations were due to the roster CBB has put together. I'll say it's a roster that has played their collective arses off since ACC play started, and they are a scrappy group, but the limited expectations fall on the coach. A coach that didn't get them to the NCAA Tourney with KJ, and failed to even make the NIT last year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

You have to be fair here GWP...how many schools have to

Mar 2, 2016, 10:13 AM

absorb the hit of 2 guys going to the NBA over a 6 year period?

The elite programs keep their players for all 4 years

Mar 2, 2016, 10:18 AM

take Kentucky for an example, nobody ever leaves UK early. All that senior leadership is what makes Coach Cal successful every year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: The elite programs keep their players for all 4 years

Mar 2, 2016, 10:21 AM

just not so!! Duke won the NC last year and their 3 best players(all fresh) left!! UNCheaters is the one that keeps their best players... makes U wonder??? KY lost their best players also.. 2 fresh

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well done***

Mar 2, 2016, 10:23 AM

Re: The elite programs keep their players for all 4 years

Mar 2, 2016, 10:27 AM [ in reply to Re: The elite programs keep their players for all 4 years ]

The problem is this never ending cycle

Mar 2, 2016, 10:00 AM

If JB leaves a year early, then that's unfair to CBB and he should be given 3 more years to recover from that. But by the time he recovers, the renovated facilities will be aging and surpassed in the ACC facilities arms race. So then we need to give him more time with better facilities or else it's unfair to CBB.

I think the biggest issue comes down to the fact that Dabo is getting a miniature golf course for his players, but CBB isn't. Does anyone really believe CBB can recruit to an ACC standard without having a putt putt course?

If JB leaves early, does that increase the pressure on DRAD

Mar 2, 2016, 10:04 AM

to let him go?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, that's just basketball. It's the losing that increases

pressure, with or without JB.

I think it does, for the reason you mention.***

Mar 2, 2016, 10:18 AM

If JB leaves...we'll be picked to finish 12th or 13th... but

Mar 2, 2016, 10:06 AM [ in reply to The problem is this never ending cycle ]

we'll win some ACC games, actually finish 7th or 8th or so....

exceed expectations...

and miss the NCAAT again

^^^THIS^^^^ It's a never ending cycle.***

Mar 2, 2016, 10:17 AM [ in reply to The problem is this never ending cycle ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

The decision to go with so many transfers hurt us this year.

Mar 2, 2016, 10:02 AM

It cost us players that could have helped improve our horrible perimeter defense.

But, as you say, it buys him time in the minds of some.

Re: The decision to go with so many transfers hurt us this year.

Mar 2, 2016, 10:32 AM

I'm thinking this is our only option. I think the kids we could get were thought to be projects anyway

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If that is true we should cut our losses and move on.

Mar 2, 2016, 10:34 AM

Hire someone with some charisma that can recruit.

Re: If that is true we should cut our losses and move on.

Mar 2, 2016, 10:37 AM

YOU EVER BEEN AROUND BRAD. DRANK A BEER WITH HIM. TALKED TO HIM. HE IS A GREAT GUY WITH PLENTY OF CHARISMA. IF YOU HAVENT NOTICED CLEMSON IS A TOUGH JOB.

Excuses always sound best to the person who is giving them.

Mar 2, 2016, 10:45 AM

The proof is in the pudding. He doesn't have the energy, enthusiasm and charisma as evidenced by his recruiting failures.

The low self esteem and low expectations and excuse making of some of our basketball fans is frustrating to those of us who know that we can be a good basketball program.

Re: Excuses always sound best -disagree strongly

Mar 2, 2016, 1:02 PM

If there were pudding I would have heard about it and gotten some of it. You're just grasping at attractive snacks and desserts I think. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Excuses always sound best to the person who is giving them.

Mar 4, 2016, 7:49 AM [ in reply to Excuses always sound best to the person who is giving them. ]

Our oven is broken. Pudding should be better now that we fixed the oven and given it cooking time. Lets see next year.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Brad is a better recruiter than you are giving him credit for.

Mar 5, 2016, 1:23 AM [ in reply to Excuses always sound best to the person who is giving them. ]

He obviously needs to get better talent to compete with the best in the ACC, but you aren't paying attention if you can't see that he has assembled more talent over the past few years than he was his first few years. Basketball recruiting us about building relationships, and he has been doing that.

A few huge problems with his recruiting:
-Clemson has an awful basketball tradition.
-Clemson has had crappy facilities - the worst in the ACC except Virginia Tech. At least he has had renderings of the new LJ to show recruits this year.
-Clemson is perceived at being too much of a football school. Basketball players - especially top ones - don't want to go to a school where they think they will be treated like second class citizens since they don't play football.

The recruiting piece is a HUGE reason why we need to get a proven coach who is a great recruiter. Otherwise, the next young up-and-comer will likely have the same challenges Brad has had (minus the outdated facilities, that is).

I'm hoping Brad can improve things once the new arena is completed. He's a really personable guy and not nearly as bland as many people here make him out to be.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: We would be an NCAAT team had we played in the new LJ

Playing in Gville is not why we werent an NCAA T team this year.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

don't you read the bored?***

Mar 2, 2016, 10:08 AM

Re: don't you read the bored?***

Mar 2, 2016, 10:16 AM

Going into the season I thought it would be a challenge but the results didnt show that.

We played fine at "home".

Are you sirius? I honestly can't tell. There are always

Mar 2, 2016, 10:09 AM

excuses that can be made. Does the admin accept those excuses is the question.

The last two years in the old LJ doesn't indicate the team would be able to shoot any better in the new version. Problem has been not enough starters who can shoot from the outside and don't see evidence of anyone coming back who can do it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

I know***

Snowtown, havent you been the one fussing that our record

Mar 2, 2016, 10:16 AM

wont improve next year in LJ, pointing out the wins in Greenville?

I'm not trying to stir you up, but i think you are contradicting yourself.

i think we are a tourney team with Blossomgame. Without him, we are a NIT team that may be able to play ourselves onto the bubble.

It will be interesting how we manage until we get Thomas eligible in December. If Blossomgame leaves, that would put Sidde at the Center position and we'd have nobody to play PF. I guess we'd go with 2 wings, 2 guards, and a Center.

Anyways. just some thoughts

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

interesting***

Mar 2, 2016, 10:19 AM

Given our slow starts under Brownell, not having a big man

Mar 2, 2016, 10:24 AM [ in reply to Snowtown, havent you been the one fussing that our record ]

that can score during the first half of the season(maybe longer. we seem to overestimate the impact if new players) could be very problematic.

Re: Snowtown, havent you been the one fussing that our record

Mar 2, 2016, 10:24 AM [ in reply to Snowtown, havent you been the one fussing that our record ]

If Blossomgame leaves our roster is a mess until Thomas is able to play...

What do you do:

PG - Holmes/Hudson
SG - Reed/Devoe/Mitchell
SF - Grantham
PF - Djitte
C - Robertin

Until Thomas comes back Grantham is our third tallest player. Do you move him to the 4 and play a really small line up? That would look something like this...

Holmes
Devoe
Reed
Grantham
Djitte

either way we are in trouble if Blossomgame leaves.

I dont think, even in an emergency, robertin starts

Mar 2, 2016, 10:38 AM

i dont think he'll be ready. he'll be a 10-15 mins a game kinda guy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I dont think, even in an emergency, robertin starts

Mar 2, 2016, 10:41 AM

He either starts or we play very small.

If Blossomgame leaves we only have 2 big men on the roster.

Mar 2, 2016, 10:30 AM

How does the facility get you wins?

I like your funny words magic man

good question***

Mar 2, 2016, 10:34 AM

Sigh - Content in post ...

Mar 2, 2016, 11:46 AM

Simply look at the overall skill set and productivity of our seniors to get an understanding of the real issue - recruiting. CBB is responsible for recruiting. We need players with higher basketball skills, athleticism and productivity to make the NCAAs.

Respectfully disagree...

Mar 2, 2016, 12:18 PM

The games that cost us an NCAA berth were not played at home, barring, perhaps the Alabama 1-point loss.

Losing by 2 at GTech, by 3 at VTech, by 3 in Raleigh ... those are the games that cost us. Not a tough loss to ND and Virginia.

I will agree that it will be nice to be back in Litttlejohn, and hope that JB will be there to christen the arena.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i agree with you Rev... i was just pointing out the

Mar 2, 2016, 12:43 PM

batsh!r crazy thinking that is tnet

interesting***

Mar 2, 2016, 12:44 PM

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

I've always felt that this year in Greenville gave BB one

Mar 5, 2016, 2:06 AM

more chance to save his job here at Clemson. He had been mediocre at best his 1st 5 seasons and being picked near the bottom of the league by the start of his 6th year is not what you are wanting from your coach.

With the renovations though I felt this was a throw away year and 1 of 2 things were gonna happen going into the new Littlejohn. 1st would be Brownell turned it around and got us to the tourney and sparked excitement in the fanbase as we head into the new arena, or 2nd, we start fresh with a new coach to generate excitement and jumpstart the fanbase as we head into the new area. Looks to me we might be looking at the latter!

I like Brownell as a person, but he's not cutting the mustard imo. It's tough to win at Clemson, no doubt, but recent coaches like Barnes and Purnell have shown it can be done. We need to find a guy who can do it!

You must be high.

Mar 5, 2016, 9:11 AM

But then, again, that wouldn't be you.

Horrific guard play will get you whipped: home and away. Poor transition team play: same. And how in the hell does a > 7' player ride the bench?

-Tesla

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic