Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Clemson moves up in latest Coaches Poll
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Football Update: Clemson moves up in latest Coaches Poll

Nov 10, 2013, 12:00 PM

Clemson moves up in latest Coaches Poll

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: Clemson moves up in latest Coaches Poll

Nov 10, 2013, 12:03 PM

Wow.. only by 2 points, but that is surprising since we were off this weekend. Awesome

Nov 10, 2013, 12:06 PM

LSU with 3 losses still 18th. lol

I think that's right***

Nov 10, 2013, 12:21 PM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Nov 10, 2013, 12:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Clemson moves up in latest Coaches Poll ]

yep that is a joke

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, I'm surprised we moved ahead of Oregon.***

Nov 10, 2013, 12:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Clemson moves up in latest Coaches Poll ]

It may be a sign of insanity to try to make sense of

Nov 10, 2013, 12:16 PM

the coaches' poll, but here is one observation:

Oregon looses to a 1 loss Stanford (that loss being to a never ranked Utah) and the vote spread is 2/7. We loose to a dominating, never losing FSU and our spread is 4/10, same as last week. Clearly a few coaches voted us a tad higher in order for us to step up 43 points over last week (1164 pts this week versus 1121 pts last week). All without playing a game!!! Go figure.....

It actually has more to do with us losing earlier in the

Nov 10, 2013, 12:23 PM

year...this has been a huge flaw in the rankings since forever, human polls tend to drop a team by X spots when they lose and over time they'll start moving back up as long as they don't lose and others ahead of them do

It all is an inexact science no matter how it is calculated

Nov 10, 2013, 12:30 PM

or 'voted'. At least with the new playoffs there will be a little more clarity about the top 4 seeds. But God help those who ended up #5 or maybe #6 because it will still have been decided by 'human' selection. In other words, there will always be controversy I guess. But at least your target need be to be 'chosen' in the top 4 by the committee and not just scramble for a #1 or #2 slot in the current system. A wee bit more room for breathing...

It doesn't have to be controversial and based on opinion

Nov 10, 2013, 12:35 PM

Win your conference go to playoffs.

Simple, and based entirely on w/l record.

Seed the teams based on opinion/poll so it takes into account schedule strength, OOC schedule, etc. But it is so simple to give everyone a path to the playoffs no matter public opinion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, we'll now have a committee making the final decision

Nov 10, 2013, 12:42 PM

on the eligible seeds for playoffs. The factors you mention are a part of it, but the 12 people will clearly not 'calculate' and 'form opinions' in exactly the same way. So I still see teams on the edge, like #5 seed for example, arguing about it being unfair, etc.

My point

Nov 10, 2013, 12:45 PM

Is to expand to 8 teams. Conference champs get an automatic bid so there is a sure fire 100% non opinionated path to the playoffs (at least for AQ conference teams)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How many games would be played by the NC

Nov 10, 2013, 12:50 PM

and when would NC be played in that strategy, Feb? You might have a good idea, I just don't know the tactical pieces you envision.

Called this

Nov 10, 2013, 12:21 PM

This was my top five. Baylor being undefeated is worth something.

We wait a month to play the championship

Nov 10, 2013, 12:57 PM

That is your four week playoff. I have always been a believer in winning your conference to get in. Heck play out of conference games to determine home field by rankings and let the higher ranked team play the first two games at home. Or if you want to take it further the #1 team picks the region of the championship out of the bcs bowl locations.

null

Re: I am surprised that Duke is not in the top 25.***

Nov 10, 2013, 1:24 PM

Re: I am surprised that Duke is not in the top 25.

Nov 10, 2013, 3:43 PM

Easy. 3rd in the ACC but they're not in the eSECpn. Go figure.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With all his success, his highest salary was $25,000 a year. The president of the university, Dr. R. F. Poole, feared that professors who earned less would be upset. "He called me up and said that he didn't want me to tell anybody what I made," Howard once said. "I said: 'Doc, you don't have to worry. I'm as ashamed as you are of what you pay me.' " - Frank Howard Obituary, New York Times, 01/27/1996

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic