Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In a little less than an hour...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

In a little less than an hour...

Dec 10, 2018, 11:21 AM

we'll have our office Christmas lunch. The food is catered in from Friendly Billiards, which will be delicious...always is. That's where we went for our Supper Club this past Saturday night. The downside is that I will have to sit beside a bunch of mouth-breathing Neanderthal dolts for an hour and listen to their inane conversation while they shove food into their faces live ravenous zoo animals. I forgot we were doing it until I got here this morning or I might have been 'snowed in' or 'had a doctor appointment'.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds hideous....

Dec 10, 2018, 11:22 AM

what they serving?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Purty sure it's all traditional holidat fare.

Dec 10, 2018, 11:27 AM

Turkey, ham, dressing, mac&cheese, green beans, etc. Honestly, an open bar might be the only thing that would make me stay on a voluntary basis, and THAT ain't happening. I guess the upside is that we won't have any kind of gathering that happens on MY time. At least this is on the clock, although I'd still rather go home and spend the hour with the dog like every other day.

Re: Purty sure it's all traditional holidat fare.

Dec 10, 2018, 12:32 PM

we used to have an open bar at ours until this dolt from Ohio State got a snoot full. He then went back to the office and damaged some art work there. Clearly the guy had a problem

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Definitely the worst aspect of the holidays is having to

Dec 10, 2018, 11:28 AM

socialize with people who you have zero regard for. Like wow, you could fall off the face of the earth RIGHT NOW and I wouldn't GAF, how am I supposed to carry on a conversation? I've got my standard lines I say to people like this, but it begins to get hard to keep up the front after awhile.

Good luck, try not to snap on the people who like to give you detailed accounts of their holiday plans, like anyone in the world gives a #### what they do.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same ####, ever time my extended family gathers

Dec 10, 2018, 11:36 AM

for Christmas.

"Where you workin now?"

The same place I was working at Thanksgiving when you asked.

"You've lost/put on some weight".

Thanks, you're as fat as you always were.

"How's your new house???"

It's just as good as it was 4 weeks ago.

I like the smug family members who like to pretend you're

Dec 10, 2018, 11:47 AM

still 12 years old or something, and try to give you stupid ### advice.

Like wow Uncle Wayne, is that right? Funny you mention that, because I'm pretty sure I have a better grasp on my life than you do considering you've been bankrupt twice, cheated on your wife, and your 33 year old daughter still lives with you. Granted, I guess it runs in the family considering YOU still live with your mother too...but yeah, you keep on snorting and rolling your eyes like you're listening to a 3rd grader explain quantum physics any time I say something about even the most basic of subjects.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So... you know my sister?

Dec 10, 2018, 11:54 AM

She goes right from that to balling crying after a glass of wine telling use how miserable her childhood was and how she never got what she wanted out of life and its everyone's fault but hers.

Hey sis..I don't know if you noticed this..but the rest of us all grew up with you, and we all saw and remember how it really was. Oddly, no one else here has those same recollections you do through the bottom of that 2nd or 3rd glass of wine.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sure she was just suffering in silence

Dec 10, 2018, 12:23 PM

Because people like that rarely vocalize when they're having any sort of discomfort in their life.

I scheduled a "meeting" for our Holiday party last week.

Dec 10, 2018, 11:36 AM

Collected my $10 Publix gift card on Friday.

# W I N N I N G

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our company's Christmas party is Friday night

Dec 10, 2018, 11:43 AM

I neglected to RSVP. Poor admin girl sent daily reminders to me (her desk is 20 steps from my office) 3 days after the deadline to RSVP. Finally, she just walks over and asks if I'm coming. I just looked at her and told her "I spend every day here with you people, why the hell would I spend my time at night with you?".

I'm prolly about to be fired for lack of Christmas spirit. But really, its a small company that I've grown to dislike due to micromanagement and other follies. I really, really, don't want to spend time anymore time with company personnel than I have to.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we have 2.5 people here

Dec 10, 2018, 12:00 PM

.5 works at a satellite office, so he's never actually here

there's myself and there's the boss

he usually strolls in about 3 everyday and I leave at 6. For a two man operation there is very minimal communication or conversation.

I'm doubting we do any sort of socializing for Christmas

and I can't wait to see how much bonus drops for increasing my sales again this year.

bah humbug

At my last Christmas Party we had a dessert contest.

Dec 10, 2018, 11:59 AM

I made a Bailey's & white chocolate cheesecake. Looked liked it came out of the best bakery in SC and was incredibly delicious. Had a graham cracker crust and toasted almonds around the edge.

I lost to something call a cherry dump cake.

I quit baking for those clowns in Simpsonville on that day.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

My dad would

Dec 10, 2018, 12:07 PM

get a plate and answer the phone “so the nice ladies up front can enjoy”

He looked like a martyr and got to eat in relative peace

I refused to go to a Christmas party.

Dec 10, 2018, 12:39 PM

Sometimes they came to the office when I had work to do so I did my work.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As per usual, the 15 minute-long saying of grace sermon

Dec 10, 2018, 12:12 PM

that briefly mentions the employees but vehemently begs God to further the company's good fortunes in the coming year kicks off the festivities. I guess I'll go get in line and see if I can tune these people and the crappy holiday music out for the next hour.

Re: As per usual, the 15 minute-long saying of grace sermon

Dec 10, 2018, 12:40 PM

You'd bi1ch if you were hung with a new rope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qev-i9-VKlY

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I take issue.

Dec 10, 2018, 12:37 PM

I dine like a ravenous animal when the food is as good as you say.

Company Christmas parties suck until

Dec 10, 2018, 12:47 PM

they stop having them altogether.

Tedious as they may be, I find that a company that spends the money for an out of office Christmas party still, on some level, tries to give a crap about its employees.

When they get cancelled, usually a whole lot of things you DO care about are soon to be cancelled as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And Obed drops the

Dec 10, 2018, 1:32 PM

"someday you'll wish you're mom could call and bug you," card.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I get that you're trying to joke, but

Dec 10, 2018, 1:41 PM

kids in Ethopia WISH they could make posts about others making blatant guilt posts.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is much truth to this.

Dec 10, 2018, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Company Christmas parties suck until ]

I still remember the Christmas parties that we had that were AFTER work at a hotel or something with open bars.

I'm guessing those days are long gone...along with getting a turkey for Thanksgiving. It makes you wonder how companies used to stay in business.

Yup, my first job after Clemson, our party each year

Dec 10, 2018, 1:48 PM

involved getting the private dining room in a nice restaurant in uptown Charlotte, open bar, bar-hopping on the company dime and a complimentary hotel room for everyone so you didn't have to worry about driving home. It was at least $5-7k each year.

And this was for a bunch of chumps making $35k/year ($54k in 2018 inflation adjusted, but still).

But you know what, we worked our #$%#$'s off for the company and our boss, and we did it gladly. Kind of odd why employers wonder why loyalty is gone and employee indifference is the rule of the day.

I had an unusual car dealer ride back to my house

Dec 10, 2018, 1:56 PM

last year sharing a "courtesy car" with an older gentleman who was also riding back from the dealer to his house. Somehow we got to talking about what we did, (he was retired from IBM) and a few minutes later he mentioned something about employee loyalty and how it no longer existed. I said that employees aren't loyal because they are usually thought of as a frivolous expense, and normally the first thing to be cut when the numbers don't add up. He vehemently disagreed with this, saying "how wrong you are!" at least once.

I just said "OK..that's just my experience", and let it ride because I wasn't up to arguing with an old, out of touch retiree. I just chalked it up to how different times are now from just a few years back.

Yeah, if I'd had 35 years with IBM with full insurance,

Dec 10, 2018, 2:00 PM

a 3% COLA and a bonus each year and a sweet pension, I'd probably be a company man too.

Zackly.

Dec 10, 2018, 2:13 PM

He obviously never lived in the current world of "you've been here too long and we can pay some 1/2 your age a 1/3rd as much and get something passable from him"-ism.

I think this type of management (or mismanagement) coincides

Dec 10, 2018, 2:10 PM [ in reply to Yup, my first job after Clemson, our party each year ]

with what I like to call the 'social media mindset' many people seem to have these days. Seems to be somewhat of a cancer, and gives weird little introverts some semblance of power in their lives.

Without going into a long, drawn out spiel, here's kind of what I mean by this:

People who have zero understanding of fundamental human behavior now have an opportunity to rise to higher positions than they otherwise would have been able to in previous societies. This is due to the fact that the personal relationships no longer matter to people, and face to face interaction is largely just an inconvenience to the social media/cell phone zombies.

Thus, you get weird little ##### sitting in an office somewhere making decisions that affect large swaths of people. Decisions like the Christmas party. They don't understand the employee morale aspect of it, all they see is an opportunity for them to cut costs and look like a hero. And that's what it is, a move to make them look better in the eyes of others. It's the same reason they're still posting pictures from their vacation to Daytona Beach 3 years ago like everything is fine even though their wife has left them and taken the children, and they have an insurmountable amount debt.

No vision whatsoever of the bigger picture, it's all about the short term optics to them. Hey, this decision may #### off hundreds, if not thousands of people...But as long as that one manager gives me an atta boy, it'll all be worth it. And it's painfully evident when a company gets too many of these type of people, they start guarding their responsibilities, become oppositional to suggestions or requests for assistance, and just generally hard to work with.

It goes in cycles until someone with some sense comes in and cleans house, but eventually when times get better and the company is staying busy, the weird little office ##### with no people skills rise again.

I saw it at my last gig.

Dec 10, 2018, 2:17 PM

It starts slowly. First it's "budget cuts require we cancel (insert whatever it might be like Christmas parties, turkeys at T-giving...whatever) then once they have found they can do that and get away with it, they start going for the bigger stuff...no raises, changes in 401K match, insurance goes to crap. That kinda stuff doesn't end. I've seen it happen when revenue was going up, so i know its all a bunch of BS.

And then add to that the strong arming for United Way

Dec 10, 2018, 2:20 PM

and the constant "vote us a best place to work!" in some city paper competition, and i'm all....WT F??

That's what I don't get, the end result is so easy to see

Dec 10, 2018, 2:37 PM [ in reply to I saw it at my last gig. ]

But it's like the people cannot comprehend that things could ever possibly change. And this internal stuff always ends up hurting a companies relationship with its customers, I mean how could it not? You've just taken a big shid on the point men of your company. The very people you rely on to interact with your customers. You want them to care....no, you NEED them to care.

One of the companies we work with is going through this. They've had about 3 or 4 really great years, so naturally the people in the high offices are the kings and everyone else might as well go fugg themselves. They did all of this by themselves, I guess. Every interaction with the people in the home office is bordering on confrontation, whether it be with their reps on the ground, or even customers. Sales are starting to slow. The big projects they've been relying on are done and there are no more in the pipeline. Why? Because they've priced themselves out of the ballpark, won't negotiate, and are ######## to boot. You bring them a project and they'll go out of their way to do it differently than the customer is asking, because I guess they just think they know better no matter what. It's completely baffling.

Everyone is just waiting on a mass firing in the office so we can get back on track.

Honestly the company is really only now getting to the point

Dec 10, 2018, 2:10 PM [ in reply to Company Christmas parties suck until ]

of matching my level of not caring. I was not caring LONG before the company was not caring. Now we both seem to be in sync with our not caring.

Recommendation: Suck it up Chief and fall on the grenade

Dec 10, 2018, 1:18 PM

You're getting free chow. Tolerate the knuckle draggers on a full belly.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We used to do the "dirty santa" gift exchange thing at ours

Dec 10, 2018, 4:05 PM

But it got to the point that we were all just basically trading gift cards and bottles of liquor.

So one year we said eff it, let's just meet somewhere central for lunch (we're all over the state) and bring a gift for toys for tots instead. We pay for our own meal, and one person takes all the toys to the donation box, and it's done.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic