Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson to Begin Two-Year Phase Out of Swimming Programs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Apr 30, 2010, 8:07 PM

Clemson University will begin a two-year phase out of its men’s swimming and diving, and women’s swimming programs at the end of the 2011-12 academic year. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would think Softball would be a more popular choice as a

Apr 30, 2010, 8:16 PM

replacement here in the South...

Re: I would think Softball would be a more popular choice as a

Apr 30, 2010, 8:30 PM

agree

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have golf facilities already.

Apr 30, 2010, 8:32 PM [ in reply to I would think Softball would be a more popular choice as a ]

We have nothing for softball

it is about money. softball = expensive.***

Apr 30, 2010, 8:48 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Plenty of farmland and tractors to clear a field

Apr 30, 2010, 11:28 PM

Let softball & volleyball travel together on long trips.

I'm sure that type of field with no stadium would attract

May 1, 2010, 8:45 AM

the very best recruits. Who needs restrooms, concessions, sprinklers, fertilizer turf maintance, uniforms,coaches, etc.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amazing every tiny HS can afford softball !

May 1, 2010, 12:31 PM

hmmmm

You do know Volleyball is a fall sport

May 1, 2010, 7:54 PM [ in reply to Plenty of farmland and tractors to clear a field ]

while softball is a spring one?

I would assume Softball would aututally sell some tickets!***

May 1, 2010, 12:36 PM [ in reply to it is about money. softball = expensive.*** ]

We should start a women's golf program and a softball team.

Apr 30, 2010, 8:18 PM

We would be competitive in both programs. A no brainer IMO.

They are planning to start a women's golf program.***

Apr 30, 2010, 8:20 PM

It's all about the money. Join the SEC now!!***

Apr 30, 2010, 8:50 PM

Re: It's all about the money. Join the SEC now!!***

Apr 30, 2010, 9:20 PM

If we have any thoughts of maybe going to the SEC we need to keep the swimming programs in tack.The SEC is big into swimming,in fact they do all sports.That is what money will do for your school.They don't have to worry about raising money anymore.If they do it is just a bonus.Especially in these hard times.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Men's soccer? Don't think so.***

Apr 30, 2010, 10:15 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great, let's add lacrosse now. Would be a great addition

Apr 30, 2010, 9:02 PM

and not expensive either. Historic Riggs Field would be a great place for them to play. Do it, President Barker and Dr. TDP!

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Good....bring back wrestling after the mid-90's screw job.***

Apr 30, 2010, 9:04 PM

YEAH! Women's Golf Program

Apr 30, 2010, 9:13 PM

Fudture Paula Creamer, Natalie Gulbis, Michelle Wie

hahaha, who cares about women's golf?***

May 1, 2010, 12:56 PM

How expensive is a swimming program?***

Apr 30, 2010, 9:30 PM

Quite possibly the least expensive of any sport...

Apr 30, 2010, 9:42 PM

The only equipment is uniforms, swim caps and warm ups. Travel and food for away meets are the largest cost.

Simply, the cost of a new facility and pool is what's keeping it from going forward. Probably a easier decision since Clemson's program has been good, but not great.

Darn shame.

Golf is dirt cheap too. 1. We already have the facilities,

May 1, 2010, 12:48 AM

2. only a handful of people travel, much fewer than swimming & diving, 3. the equipment & shoes are pretty much donated by the manufacturers for the marketing value.

The only added expense to add a woman's golf team is the coach and travel expenses for only and handful of people per event.

And golf is huge in SC.

And how much is the course maintenance?***

May 1, 2010, 1:11 AM

we already maintain it for the mens team.***

May 1, 2010, 12:31 PM

Did you even read the article?

May 1, 2010, 6:42 AM [ in reply to Quite possibly the least expensive of any sport... ]

TD said that we won't be building an Olympic (i.e. 50-meter) swimming pool... a major expense and, judging by the fact that the new memorial grabbed all the land that would've been required for the expansion, an infeasible one too.

The 25-meter standard was outdated decades ago and everyone has been building bigger better pools just like we build football and baseball facilities. The best thing we did for the swimming program was re-tile it during the Jervey renovation of 2002. We can't compete for recruits with facilities like that.

Yes....

May 1, 2010, 12:10 PM

I was simply reiterating that the cost of a new pool is the major reason the program is folding, as it's basically nothing to operate on a yearly basis otherwise.

SO, yes, I DID read the article...

If that next to last paragraph were really true, we would

Apr 30, 2010, 10:10 PM

have added softball years ago. Liar.

Re: If that next to last paragraph were really true, we woul

May 1, 2010, 11:44 AM

For the folks out there that dont understand the growth that softball is experiencing, you can look at the upstate alone. My daughter plays travel ball and these tounaments every other weekend there will be more than 250 girls in the upstate playing at least 4 games. That also includes families. How many of you golf proponents have seen an entire match live? That kind of hard to do even if you are there. If you dont think that it is a popular sport go to Athens and see the crowded stadium with fans chearing for the Bulldogs on a double header afternoon. To me adding a sport is about the which sport will draw the most interest thus more fans backing and enjoying the events. Softball is a sport that is played in every high school, the other sports proposed are not.

Any Softball to Clemson facebook groups?***

May 1, 2010, 12:33 PM [ in reply to If that next to last paragraph were really true, we would ]

sad excuses from TDP

May 1, 2010, 12:41 PM

How long have they put up with swimming at Fike while most other sports get new facilities? TDP's taking the easy way out.

What are his options?

May 1, 2010, 1:04 PM

I took it to mean that he could either build a new pool, continue the program without having the proper facility or stop operating. How much would a new pool cost? I guess I'd be interested to know how much of a commitment he would have to make before I could agree or disagree with his decision.

Re: What are his options?

May 2, 2010, 8:33 AM

An outdoor pool in the middle of campus could be done for $2-$3 million. A network of alumni had started orgainizing to help raise some funds. The school wants something to keep students on campus. The land was available near Fike. TDP did not give the pool idea time to even get started.

Re: What are his options?

May 2, 2010, 9:31 AM

Ok, thanks. You obviously have inside information on this one. Maybe TDP didn't think the idea was workable. Why shut down a program that needs something that is relatively simple to build? Doesn't make sense to me.

Re: sad excuses from TDP

May 2, 2010, 8:30 AM [ in reply to sad excuses from TDP ]

Swimming brings about 60 students to Clemson who are willing to start practice 6 days a week at 5:15 AM and also do another practice in the afternoon. These same students have GPAs of 3.39 for women and 3.10 for the men. They had the highest GPA of any sport on campus and many ACC Scholar athletes over the years. TDP did not study the idea of building a 50 meter outdoor pool that was presented to him. When the idea was proposed he quickly decided to just terminate a program that Clemson has offered since 1919.

Re: Clemson to Begin Two-Year Phase Out of Swimming Programs

May 1, 2010, 8:04 PM

We had a swim team?

Softball might be an ACC problem

May 2, 2010, 11:34 PM

At least one other school (Duke, Miami, or Wake) would also need to field a team in order for there to be an even number playing in the conference.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic