Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We should really give brad more time
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

We should really give brad more time

Feb 5, 2020, 7:55 PM

Next year he will have 4 - RCSI top 100 players on the team. Recruiting is clearly improving. He hasn’t had that many top 100 players... uhhh, since his first 2 seasons and we know how well he developed those guys!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We should really give brad more time

Feb 5, 2020, 7:56 PM

vizcoot practicing for next week when baseball starts.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 5, 2020, 7:58 PM

Keep pumpin’ Derp

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 5, 2020, 8:00 PM [ in reply to Re: We should really give brad more time ]

I really hope Monte gets us out of a regional this year. I can’t take Clemson baseball being down this long. Basketball whatever but not baseball.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 5, 2020, 8:06 PM

Deroberts believes its very important not to ever express a negative opinion of a coach. He will fight you vehemently on this point. Until the coach is actually fired, then he will throw him directly under the bus personally. He was besties with Leggett until the day he was fired. Then it was an unimpeachable, necessary, and overdue decision.

Feb 24, 2020, 10:37 PM

That is the truth

Feb 5, 2020, 8:01 PM [ in reply to Re: We should really give brad more time ]

Wait till next year thats what the Gamecocks say .

Feb 24, 2020, 10:36 PM [ in reply to Re: We should really give brad more time ]

Why are you a butt hole to every one ? I remember when you stood for Jack.

10 years is just not enough

Feb 5, 2020, 8:02 PM

10 more years
10 more years
10 more years

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it really isn’t

Feb 5, 2020, 8:06 PM

Sincerely,

Judge Karen

Feb 23, 2020, 10:55 PM

No doubt we should

Feb 23, 2020, 11:12 PM

Who were those top 100 prospects that he didn’t develop?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2020, 9:16 AM

The players are not important.

You should know that by now.

Milton and Noel Johnson were

Feb 24, 2020, 6:02 PM [ in reply to Re: We should really give brad more time ]

not sure about the other 2. Was Bobo on that team?

Re: Milton and Noel Johnson were

Feb 24, 2020, 6:22 PM

Noel johnson transferred early and had an underwhelming career at auburn. I think his best year he averaged 8 or 9 ppg.

Milton Jennings - I don’t like bashing our former players, but you could tell from day 1 that he wasn’t elite. End of story.

The difference is that these are Brad’s players, not Purnell’s overrated recruits.***

Feb 24, 2020, 10:33 PM

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: The difference is that these are Brad’s players, not Purnell’s overrated recruits.***

Feb 24, 2020, 10:40 PM

But Purcell went to the ncaa’s how many times ??

Re: The difference is that these are Brad’s players, not Purnell’s overrated recruits.***

Feb 25, 2020, 6:43 AM [ in reply to The difference is that these are Brad’s players, not Purnell’s overrated recruits.*** ]

There he goes again, showing his true colors. Trashing Clemson players if it helps Coach Brownell keep making millions!

Feb 25, 2020, 8:15 AM

Laughable. Saying some of our former players were over-rated or not elite isn't trashing our players.

That's just speaking the truth. Sorry you are so delusional that you don't know what the truth is.

Trashing a player would be all the Brownell haters going after Trapp all year. Why don't you speak out against that!

Feb 25, 2020, 12:38 PM

I generally don’t like anyone saying anything negative about players, period. You certainly won’t catch me doing it. Then again, you seem to think the entire roster Brownell inherited is worthy of slander. So I know how sincere your argument is.

I thinking diminishing the players to aggrandize Brownell is analogous to trashing them. But sure, have a semantic argument.

You consistently mistake subjective opinions for truth so I think we know who has difficulty with that concept.

Brad made the Tourney with those overated players in

Feb 25, 2020, 1:06 PM [ in reply to Re: The difference is that these are Brad’s players, not Purnell’s overrated recruits.*** ]

his first year and only once since then with his own.

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

If you are trying to argue that Milton Jennings

Feb 25, 2020, 1:57 PM

Noel Johnson and that entire 2009 class wasn't overrated, I'd love to know what you are basing that opinion on.

Milton Jennings wasn't the bona fide 5 star, McDonald's All-American we hoped he was. Noel Johnson wasn't the high 4 star, top 40 player we hoped he was. See a pattern here?

OP's tourney teams were led by Trevor Booker, K.C. Rivers, and Cliff Hammonds. Those players were not overrated at all. They were important contributors to OP's success.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Brad made the tournament with those overrated players

Feb 25, 2020, 1:04 PM [ in reply to The difference is that these are Brad’s players, not Purnell’s overrated recruits.*** ]

as you call them in his first year! He's only made it once since then with his own.

I'd be very easy in your terminology here.

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Re: Brad made the tournament with those overrated players

Feb 25, 2020, 2:52 PM

as you call them in his first year! He's only made it once since then with his own.

I'd be very easy in your terminology here.

OP was specifically talking about top 100 players from Purnell. That would have been only Noel Johnson and Milton Jennings.

The players that really contributed to the tourney team in Brad Brownell's first year were Jerai Grant, Demontez Stitt RIP, Tanner Smith, Andre Young, and Devin Booker. None of these players were top 100 players.

Noel Johnson and Milton Jennings came off the bench.

So Purnell did more with less, or Brad has put together

Feb 26, 2020, 5:29 AM [ in reply to The difference is that these are Brad’s players, not Purnell’s overrated recruits.*** ]

one successful team in 10 years?

Feb 24, 2020, 10:48 PM

Granted BB did not do so well in his first seven years, but why think about firing him when he and his team clearly on the upswing. Two of his last three years have been beyond anyone's expectations (two years ago and this year). The recruiting is definitely going up. The team has never played better. They are dominating the opposition. This is like firing an employee when he/she actually starts producing!

Feb 25, 2020, 1:50 PM

He’s not going to be fired so the discussion is rhetorical at this point. What history suggests is that, as with every season but 1, we will probably struggle early next year and spend the ACC schedule playing catch-up. Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe after 9 3/4 years as our head coach something changed 3 weeks ago and we won’t repeat the same old pattern.

I don't understand why you seem incapable of realizing

Feb 25, 2020, 2:00 PM

that a lot changed with our program several years ago when Brad finally got above average facilities and the budget to assemble the staff he needs to recruit and develop players.

We are seeing the benefits of those investments now. Can you not see that?!?

Re: I don't understand why you seem incapable of realizing

Feb 25, 2020, 2:21 PM

I see the exact same pattern. Underperform early. Overperform late. When that stops I’ll believe. You’re pretending returns are evident that simply don’t exist. 2018 was good. Last year was a massive letdown with essentially the same personnel (somehow that has nothing to do with coach). This year, even with 2-top 5 wins we’re nowhere near the bubble. Losing multiple games to sub-100 RPI teams is the norm for Brownell. I ran numbers for previous coaches and mid pack ACC programs showing it isn’t the norm as you have hypothesized in a direct response to you earlier and you ignored it.

If I were into ignoring things I don't like or agree with

Feb 25, 2020, 2:49 PM

I would never respond to your posts. I haven't intentionally ignored anything you've posted.

You seem to keep harping on our "inconsistency," but again, basketball teams by nature are inconsistent. It's much harder to go undefeated in basketball than it is football, due to more games played during the basketball season as well as more quality teams in basketball. It's not like football where you have 3-5 elite teams who are clearly better than everyone else, 15-20 quality teams, and everyone else. In basketball, you have a lot of good high major teams plus many good mid-major teams. Upsets happen. Losing games we don't think we should isn't unique to Clemson, no matter how much you want it to be.

This year has been complicated by several factors:

-Having to replace nearly 90% of our production from last year
-Lots of new faces (transfers and freshmen)
-Significant injuries

The combination of these meant that we were likely to struggle this year, especially early on. It's a testament to our coaches and players that we have overcome these early season struggles and are now playing excellent basketball.

Rather than whining about the negatives, including those you have to go back years to find, why not applaud our team for overcoming adversity, sticking together, and improving as the year has gone on?

Re: If I were into ignoring things I don't like or agree with

Feb 25, 2020, 11:07 PM

Like f’cking clockwork.

Feb 25, 2020, 3:10 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't understand why you seem incapable of realizing ]

viztiz® said:

I see the exact same pattern. Underperform early. Overperform late. When that stops I’ll believe. You’re pretending returns are evident that simply don’t exist. 2018 was good. Last year was a massive letdown with essentially the same personnel (somehow that has nothing to do with coach). This year, even with 2-top 5 wins we’re nowhere near the bubble. Losing multiple games to sub-100 RPI teams is the norm for Brownell. I ran numbers for previous coaches and mid pack ACC programs showing it isn’t the norm as you have hypothesized in a direct response to you earlier and you ignored it.

I think your problem is you have unrealistic expectations. If you came into this season with the mindset that we should make the tournament, then you are an idiot.

We returned 18.2 ppg from a non NCAA tournament team last year. A center who would have started this year (w/ the baehre injury) transferred.

We then started the year w/ 4 injuries from our 2 deep. Do you really think that wouldn't affect us? with available scholarships in basketball, that would be like having 14 people injured on our 2 deep on the football team.

Do you think it is a coincidence that our team looked much different when Trapp was back and starting? How about Hemingway being injured all season. He has looked great lately.

IMO this season has been a great success. We sucked at the beginning of the year and over the course of the season, through coaching and player experience, we have improved dramatically. We beat UNC in Chapel Hill for the first time ever, and also got 2 top 5 wins. We are peaking at the right time, and we have the chance to finish 5th in the ACC regular season.

Not only that, most of our contributors are returning next season, we have our best incoming recruiting class under Brownell, and we have an outstanding young PG returning for next year.

The next 3 years at the very least look extremely bright, and all you do is ##### and moan daily about Brownell. Get a grip dude.

Feb 25, 2020, 5:46 PM

Regardless of what you deem “should be” this team, which only any idiot would think could make the tournament, would be solidly in if it didn’t have 2 sub-100 rpi losses on the resume.

No sub-100 losses. Always make the NIT. These are modest expectations. But keep cutting and pasting your JK talking points.

Feb 25, 2020, 5:46 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't understand why you seem incapable of realizing ]

Regardless of what you deem “should be” this team, which only any idiot would think could make the tournament, would be solidly in if it didn’t have 2 sub-100 rpi losses on the resume.

No sub-100 losses. Always make the NIT. These are modest expectations. But keep cutting and pasting your JK talking points.

2 of the last 3 beyond expectations??

Feb 26, 2020, 5:27 AM [ in reply to Re: We should really give brad more time ]

Where are you getting that from? We've had one good year under Brad with his players. We are wasting time.

Feb 25, 2020, 7:29 AM

viztiz® said:

Next year he will have 4 - RCSI top 100 players on the team. Recruiting is clearly improving. He hasn’t had that many top 100 players... uhhh, since his first 2 seasons and we know how well he developed those guys!

Not sure why you felt the need to advocate for something which was already gonna happen. 1) Anyone with half a brain can see our fortunes improved with the new facility. 2) Brad is a well respected coach in athletic circles 3) Brad has always done more with less 4) Clemson AD does not have the money to open the bank for b-ball

As long as he is half way competative he will be the coach at Clemson

Yeah, I'd say 10 years isn't enough time for a coach.

Feb 25, 2020, 3:07 PM

Like he enjoyed, BB could give the next coach the benefit of a talented team.

That 1st year was 50% of the times he's taken us to the NCAA....in 10 years.

Re: Yeah, I'd say 10 years isn't enough time for a coach. Not

Feb 25, 2020, 3:15 PM

Felix2® said:

It's funny that all the raging liberals from the politics board are all Brownell haters and want him fired.

Must suck to be wrong all the time.

Not surprising, is it?***

Feb 25, 2020, 3:42 PM

Re: Yeah, I'd say 10 years isn't enough time for a coach. Not

Feb 26, 2020, 12:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Yeah, I'd say 10 years isn't enough time for a coach. Not ]

Felix2® said:

It's funny that all the raging liberals from the politics board are all Brownell haters and want him fired.

Must suck to be wrong all the time.

You mean just like the conservatives defending the status quo, after 10 freaking years. Once you guys latch on to a loser, you never let go.

We really wasn't getting rid of him anyway***

Feb 25, 2020, 3:27 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We really wasn't getting rid of him anyway***

Feb 29, 2020, 6:34 PM

Probably so

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic