Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We might have a harder time finding a coach than we think
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 3,882

We might have a harder time finding a coach than we think

Jun 5, 2015, 10:38 AM

Article on d1baseball.com has some interviews with coaches on how they feel about Clemson firing Jack. Kinda eye opening...esp the last paragraph.

http://www.d1baseball.com/columns/fitt-leggett-legacy-will-endure/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we'll see, a little distance between yesterday & "tomorrow"

Jun 5, 2015, 10:46 AM

will allow the peaked emotions to quell.

some reality... there are only so many jobs at clemson's level available and they don't open up that often.

i'm not sure clemson will get a replacement from a lateral move though, but maybe?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We might have a harder time finding a coach than we think

Jun 5, 2015, 10:46 AM

I don't think it's realistic to expect to get one of his former assistants. They're generally going to be more loyal to the coach than to the school.

However, there are a lot of extremely talented and successful coaches that come from other coaching trees who would likely jump at the opportunity to come here.

Agreed, top tier program and righ now it's a 20 year job.

Jun 5, 2015, 10:49 AM

I think someone will be willing to "take a risk" on lowly Clemson Baseball.

Re: Agreed, top tier program and righ now it's a 20 year job.

Jun 5, 2015, 10:56 AM

Who in their right mind would regard it as a "20 year job" when the sitting AD just dismissed a HOF head coach who had never missed the postseason on his watch. You are all smoking crack.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agreed, top tier program and righ now it's a 20 year job.

Jun 5, 2015, 11:50 AM

We've had what, two coaches in 60 years? As long as you are successful, it can certainly be a 20 year job.

Re: Hoss, we don't want one who does not believe in himself

Jun 5, 2015, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Agreed, top tier program and righ now it's a 20 year job. ]

Loseres are a dime a dozen. I am glad that you like them.

I wouldn't bet money on the replacement being around 20 yrs,

Jun 5, 2015, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Agreed, top tier program and righ now it's a 20 year job. ]

especially in today's win-or-else environment.

Re: I t will be up to him. I don't want him to hang around

Jun 5, 2015, 1:53 PM

if he can't win.

Re Surely, someone will want the job. LMA0***

Jun 5, 2015, 1:48 PM [ in reply to Agreed, top tier program and righ now it's a 20 year job. ]

Exactly. What response do you expect if you only quote...

Jun 5, 2015, 10:52 AM [ in reply to Re: We might have a harder time finding a coach than we think ]

former players/assistants? Of course they are on Jack's side. Clemson needs to focus on what is best for Clemson and not so much on hurting someones feelings. It is business.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Absolutely***

Jun 5, 2015, 1:50 PM

Jun 5, 2015, 10:48 AM

Really easy for that guy to make that statement...

He has a 129-154 record as a HC I would not be happy if he were hired.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Bakich's first head coaching job was Maryland.

Jun 5, 2015, 11:04 AM

He took Maryland from being an also-ran without the complement of scholarships (they funded just 9 scholarships when he arrived) to a top-25 ranked team in his last year - the first season the Terps had been ranked in almost 30 years.

He parlayed that experience into the Michigan job - tripling his salary in the process - and won the Big Ten tournament title in just his second year.

But hey, Championships and building programs don't matter, just give me that great Win / Loss record. Or is that not the exact opposite of the last 2 years of ######## you've been spraying on this board?

Re: Bakich's first head coaching job was Maryland.

Jun 5, 2015, 11:17 AM

They finished T-5th then T-4th in his first two years at Michigan.

null

He made UMD more competitive but they were still...

Jun 5, 2015, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Bakich's first head coaching job was Maryland. ]

awful while he was there and when he left. If they were ranked then it was for a week or two and probably the result of crappy OOC play.

The current coach actually did an article on D1 baseball earlier this year stating that he was surpirsed at how poor the mentality of the players were when he took over. Said they expected to lose games and it baffled him.

That is cause you are clueless*

Jun 5, 2015, 12:41 PM [ in reply to Re: We might have a harder time finding a coach than we think ]

Someone PIMPING a coach with a LOSING record

Jun 5, 2015, 12:45 PM

calling someone else clueless, that's PRICELESS. Thanks for the laugh.

Jun 5, 2015, 10:49 AM

I called in to Roy's show yesterday and told him this would take place. None of those guys will disrespect jack by taking the job....

Jun 5, 2015, 10:53 AM

Well #### I hate that we wont get that last guy.

Corbin and Sully were long shots at best. If only there were other good caoches out there that have no connection to Jack Leggett.

Oh well I guess we should just close the program down.

null

Why would you leave a natty contender? Vandy - check.

Jun 5, 2015, 10:54 AM [ in reply to Re: We might have a harder time finding a coach than we think ]

Florida? - on the doorstep. Lost to coots in title game recently. Those guys are not coming here.

Re: Why would you leave a natty contender? Vandy - check.

Jun 5, 2015, 11:23 AM

why would a guy who lost to a team as pathetic as the coots not come here?

Sullivan? He might come. It would feel natural losing

Jun 5, 2015, 11:31 AM

to coots in Omaha. Jack just about made that his most notable achievement.

Re: Personally, I don't want anything Leggett has touched.***

Jun 5, 2015, 1:57 PM [ in reply to Re: We might have a harder time finding a coach than we think ]

Leggett is very highly regarded in coaching circles.

Jun 5, 2015, 10:56 AM

He was essentially asked his opinion at every turn, on every controversial issue - he was the main proponent of the new baseball that has brought balance back to the game. He was seen as an authority, and the success of his coaching tree made him a rather influential figure.

That's the main reason why I thought he would be back for a lame duck season - there was no doubt in my mind Leggett would never step down, and I didn't think Radakovich would want the negative of having fired Leggett strapped on top of his ham-fisted handling of last year's end-of-year press conference, and he could save some money in the process.

And to me, that's the main issue. Our Athletic Department is going to be painted as unsupportive of baseball by someone with exponentially more clout - and the public remarks of the AD, over the last 2 years, do nothing to quell those notions.

Someone needs to tell Radakovich that you either put out a press release or you have a press conference, but you don't do both - especially not within hours of each other.

Re: Leggett is very highly regarded in coaching circles.

Jun 5, 2015, 11:26 AM

I think it's pretty much proven that he is a terrible AD. Feared it from my onset. It was a mind boggling hire.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For someone that was so intensely focused on PR...

Jun 5, 2015, 11:42 AM

For someone that was so intensely focused on PR, essentially restructuring the SID's office to become a content-generating office and excising traditional media facilitation (and in the process pigeon-holing Tim Bourret), he's incredibly inept at it.

Last year's press conference was incredibly bad, as it was insulting to everyone involved - laying out his four point plan, that included a restriction on talking to coaches in his own circle was memorable only BECAUSE it was insulting. But worse than that, it was completely unnecessary - he had issued a statement more than hour beforehand. Let the statement stand on its merits and move on.

This year, because you had made a change, you had to have a press conference. But there is no reason to send out a press release so that everyone has 3 hour primer on putting together questions - including reactions from possible candidates in your nascent job search. And you certainly don't need to dwell on the reasoning / options given on the run-up to the action.

Re: For someone that was so intensely focused on PR...

Jun 5, 2015, 11:57 AM

Agreed. One of the problems with their media initiatives is that they exist in an echo chamber. All he had to say was something along the lines of "Jack nor I were comfortable with him coaching with only year on his contract. We couldn't arrive at an agreement to terms during my timeline and I felt it was important to begin moving forward." Done. None of the "we can do better" bs that insulting to Jack, his former players and his fans.

It was a tough decision....

Jun 5, 2015, 11:53 AM [ in reply to Leggett is very highly regarded in coaching circles. ]

based on Jack's legacy and his reputation within college baseball circles. Based on the results on the field over the last few years, the decision was not nearly as tough. It is fair to the University, the players, and the fans for the administration to allow the program to continue to wallow in mediocrity and underachieve? Jack did a lot of good things for Clemson baseball during his tenure, but the results on the field, particularly over the last several years, fully support DRad's decision IMO. It was time for new leadership to breath new life into a stagnant program.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: DRAD showed how much of an amateur he was. He should

Jun 5, 2015, 2:01 PM [ in reply to Leggett is very highly regarded in coaching circles. ]

have fired him on the sport. Certainly, not slap his hands then run ad tell the press what was done.

Re: Leggett is very highly regarded in coaching circles.

Jun 5, 2015, 2:04 PM [ in reply to Leggett is very highly regarded in coaching circles. ]

He is an arrogant A$$ and before you ask, yes I have been around him on many occasion and he has done nothing to change my opinion. If Jack hadn't acted so abrasive and aloof, people might have come to his aid but he believes being in the Hall of Fame he's above such things as common courtesy and job accountability. Glad he's gone, if we have to hire a High School coach then so be it. We are no longer held hostage by Jack.

I predict Clemson will announce new coach after CWS

Jun 5, 2015, 11:45 AM

if not sooner. This depends on when the new coach's team finishes playing.

Re: I predict Clemson will announce new coach after CWS

Jun 5, 2015, 12:10 PM

I'll bet you something that doesnt prove to be true and would be happy to be wrong.

Re: I predict Clemson will announce new coach after CWS

Jun 5, 2015, 8:11 PM [ in reply to I predict Clemson will announce new coach after CWS ]

yes; good point..IMHO that is what will happen.. my favorite for our new coach is still playing for sure

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FITT is a trash rag. They are just trying to sell stories.

Jun 5, 2015, 11:52 AM

They are NOT a credible news source.

Re: FITT is a trash rag. They are just trying to sell stories.

Jun 5, 2015, 12:09 PM

Aaron Fitt is from Anderson Independent. You're confusing him with FitsNews or whatever it's called. He broke the firing so he must be the athletic departments preferred sportswriter.

Michigan coach has LOSING record

Jun 5, 2015, 11:53 AM

He's not even considered for the job.

I think we can chill with the doom and gloom

Jun 5, 2015, 12:01 PM

That article is very definitely slanted to be negatively biased towards Clemson and DRad. They interviewed a couple of coaches, including ones with very close emotional ties to Leggett, to get those sound bites. Of course it sucks for Leggett. It sucks for everyone involved. I think most coaches will understand, however, that coaching is a business like everything else and there is a bottom line like everywhere else. Clemson's standards and expectations for the baseball program were no longer being met.

For every coach they interviewed who was angry or in shock or whatever, there are probably 10 coaches who would clamor for this job. I'm pretty sure we'll land on our feet. This is not a doomsday scenario as that article makes it out to be.

Jun 5, 2015, 1:55 PM

Theses coaches want Leggett to stay so they can continue to beat his a$$. These coaches could care less about Clemson and have no vested interest in our future success. Leggett should have been relieved from his duties last year. Glad he is gone!

Replies: 38
| visibility 3,882
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic