Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: A parent's point of view
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 174
| visibility 201

Front Page Story: A parent's point of view

May 27, 2012, 4:44 PM

A parent's point of view

The parent of a current Clemson commit talks about a possible move to the Big 12, and how that move would not only affect his son but the entire family Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Guess they are not a "commit" and only a "recruit"

May 27, 2012, 4:49 PM

Hope you watch who they ultimately commit to - if it's an SEC school, I'd like to know what they think about getting to College Station, TX. It's a lot less expensive and faster to get to Boston.

or Columbia, MO or Baton Rouge, LA or Little Rock AR***

May 27, 2012, 4:54 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: or Columbia, MO or Baton Rouge, LA or Little Rock AR***

May 27, 2012, 5:55 PM

It would depend on which school in the SEC he would attend as to how far those trips are.

Still the parent is correct.

Travel for fans and the team will be longer on average if we went to the Big XII.

The worst trip in the ACC will be Syracuse.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

You missed the point. They said the closest schools

May 27, 2012, 5:10 PM [ in reply to Guess they are not a "commit" and only a "recruit" ]

would be in TX not the farthest schools.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

They aren't going to drive. Flying to Tx is no different

May 27, 2012, 9:51 PM

than flying to Boston, Miami, Kansas, or anywhere else. Would he complain about going to Indiana if we added Notre Dame to the ACC? We aren't playing teams on the west coast.

its funny that you pick the 2 farthest teams in the acc

May 27, 2012, 10:23 PM

to make your point. 1 we play away every other year and the other we have a road trip to every six years.

if you live in Clemson then GT, Wake, NCST, UNC, DUKE amd VT are reasonable road trips.

FSU, Maryland, UVA are stretching it

Then of course the 2 you mentioned are probably out of the question if money is tight.

So what are the reasonable road trips in the Big 12? chirp chirp

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

I'm simply pointing out we already travel long distances and

May 28, 2012, 4:55 AM

we don't go to UVa or MD or FSU by bus either. All by charter jet. Same as Big XII away games. This is a totally bogus issue.

Re: I'm simply pointing out we already travel long distances and

May 28, 2012, 7:10 AM

As a fan, I think 6 to 8 hours driving is very realistic, especially to see your kids play. Looking at the upcoming schedule, only BC would require a plane trip for fans (Doesn't matter how the team travels), and if FSU is too far, then maybe 2 games where someone wouldn't want to drive it.

If we were in the BigXII, then you would be looking at 4 or 5 games a year that are not within driving distance. That is a huge concern to a parent.

My opinion is that it may all be worth it if any one of the better football teams leave the ACC, but if no one leaves, we are better off where we are.

Re: I'm simply pointing out we already travel long distances and

May 28, 2012, 7:12 PM

Agreed, 100%!!! Miami just stated their commitment to the ACC, I'm sure that FSU will also.

I would love to see a breakdown of where alums live.

May 28, 2012, 7:29 PM [ in reply to I'm simply pointing out we already travel long distances and ]

Lots of Clemson folks live in ACC country. Don't know about the texas/ok/ku destinations.

Aha! Found it, and it's worse than I thought.

May 28, 2012, 10:45 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=12278330#12278330

Re: Front Page Story: A parent's point of view

May 27, 2012, 4:51 PM

no one thinks of this. our fans are just worried about money and their hatred for swofford and the acc.

Yep.***

May 27, 2012, 5:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: A parent's point of view ]

What is swoffard? Did you graduate?

May 27, 2012, 9:57 PM

No he didnt.

null

May 27, 2012, 10:19 PM

and deroberts has posts deleted again. Shocking....

null

May 27, 2012, 10:21 PM

lol would not know how to do that if i wanted to. why miss my little stalkers idiotic comments.

May 28, 2012, 10:44 AM

lol the mods deleted it bc even they are sick of your constant flaming.

null

May 27, 2012, 9:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: A parent's point of view ]

I am glad to see this myself. Geography must be considered. I have not been a fan of the Big 12 move from the start.

I still think the best thing for Clemson is for Clemson, Fl St, Miami, VTech, GTech.... even Maryland and NC to hold up their end of the bargain and put some top 10 football teams on the field. When that happens, the money WILL CHANGE for the ACC.

And I am not bought into the PAC 10, Big 12, Big 10, and SEC ruling all of college football. Just too many other teams out there to consider.

And eventually, I believe we will end up with an EIGHT team playoff. Not a four team playoff. There will be room at the table.

BUT, if Clemson, Fl State, VTech, and the others do not get it together, yeah, we could find ourselves on the outside looking in.

It only takes THREE or FOUR of the ACC football teams to be top 15 to make the ACC relevant. It does not take 6 to 12. Ask the PAC 10. Have they ever had more than 3 or 4? USC most every year. Then someone else pops up regularly. Recently. Stanford and Oregon. Washington for a short time in the 90's. That is about it.

Wrong. The ACC thinks basketball first, nothing CU & FSU

May 27, 2012, 9:46 PM

do will change that. The ACC will always lag the bigger football conferences.

Re: Wrong. The ACC thinks basketball first, nothing CU & FSU

May 27, 2012, 10:51 PM

I know it has felt that way in the past. And too believe it was basketball first. But, everything going on now shows it cannot stay that way. I think even Swofford, and school presidents, have had a recent reality check. At least I hope so.

LOL! We just added two basketball schools. What are

May 28, 2012, 4:57 AM

you drinking?

Re: LOL! We just added two basketball schools. What are

May 28, 2012, 8:20 AM

When I say reality check, I am talking about what has just happened.... AFTER those additions. Pitt and Syr were announced in the late fall / early winter. The landscape has shift just in the past month.... And I woudl bet SYR and PITT are causing heartburn.

And who is this "parent". Another thing…..

May 27, 2012, 4:52 PM

how many parents of players actually go to away games. With the cost of gasoline going to away games in the ACC can get expensive too. Plus do the parents of players from Florida or Alabama that play for Clemson go to away games? Even parents of players from SC probably don't go to that many away games. The only parents who would travel to all the away games would be ones that are well off. And how does this parent have so many friends that have kids that play D1 football? Sounds like a plant to me

Re: And who is this "parent". Another thing…..

May 27, 2012, 4:55 PM

good lord man a lot of parents go to every game. i myself have missed less than 10 game total since 1980. people actually do like to see their team play in person.

Let's be a little realistic here dude…...

May 27, 2012, 4:59 PM

Do you think that the parents of players that come from lower income backgrounds go to all the away games? And another thing if you have only missed 10 Clemson games since 1980, including the away games, then you're making plenty of money to pay to go to away games.

Lets be realistic?

May 27, 2012, 5:01 PM

You're sitting there arguing against an article where a recruits parent literally says its important to be able to go to away games.

Is it really that hard to believe that parents like to see their kids play in person?

You still don't get it…...

May 27, 2012, 5:10 PM

we have a number of players that come from lower income backgrounds, some here in SC, some in other states like Florida. Do you really think they have the money to travel to all the away games in the ACC? Tallahassee, Blacksburg, Boston, Charlottesville, soon to be Pitt and Syracuse, are all faraway from Clemson and can be expensive trips.

Maybe you make the money to afford to go to all the away games. But the players who have parents that come from lower income backgrounds don't have the money to make those trips to all the away games. And if they are going to all of the away games then something is up.

Also, this parent isn't named, in this article. If we had an actual name of this parent, then this article would have more validity. Also, add in that this parent states that he has close friends with children who play D1 football that makes it even less believable. I mean really how many parents of D1 football players have close friends whose kids also play D1 football.

You're missing the point

May 27, 2012, 5:16 PM

Every school in the ACC other than Miami, Syracuse, and BC is closer than the closest school in the Big XII.

Its amazing what you can afford when your kid gets a free ride to college. Also, not every player comes from a low income background.

so you would rather have us play Duke or Wake, instead of...

May 27, 2012, 5:19 PM

Texas or OU? That's the point, not staying in conference ran by a commissioner who doesn't give two ish's about football

Hey Derpina, stop saying Oklahoma & Texas and then two

May 27, 2012, 5:23 PM

crappy ACC teams.

I'd rather play FSU, Miami, Virginia Tech than Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor, Iowa State.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

If we went to the Big 12 we would still play FSU…...

May 27, 2012, 5:25 PM

Kansas State has a good team. Bottom line the Big 12 has more good teams than the ACC, there is no denying that.

Exactly!

May 27, 2012, 5:47 PM [ in reply to Hey Derpina, stop saying Oklahoma & Texas and then two ]

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd rather play UNC than OSU, GT than Baylor, NCSU than ISU. I don't know what we need to do, but this argument of comparing OU and UT to Wake and Duke isn't looking at the whole picture.

Clemson WILL and SHOULD do what is best for Clemson.

May 27, 2012, 9:07 PM [ in reply to You're missing the point ]

Every school that has switched conferences have the same problems and it sure hasn't stopped any of them.

pretty sure youre the one missing the point

May 27, 2012, 5:17 PM [ in reply to You still don't get it…... ]

which is that a families decision on where a kids goes to school depends, to a varying degree by family, the ability to go to as many games as possible to watch their kids.

if you completely take that away then you eliminate some recruits before you even get started.

the question is what recruiting segment do you pick up by going to another league and does it compensate for the one you lost. my guess is no, but i have zero way to know that for absolute certain.

Let's see all the players from Florida have to drive a long

May 27, 2012, 5:21 PM

way to get to Clemson. They are already going long distance's to come to Clemson, us moving to the Big 12 won't change the distance from Florida to Clemson. Sammy Watkins is from Fort Meyers, FL. It's a 10 to 11 hour ride from Fort Myers to Clemson.

You can't take the the situation of one or even half

May 27, 2012, 5:35 PM

of the families of players and apply it to all players. the point is that travel is an issue of varying importance to all players and their families. When an issue that is important TO THEM is up in the air it affects the decision of which college to attend. I really can't believe that is so hard for you to understand. what i think you are really arguing for is that Clemson will be better off overall which is a perfectly legitimate point of view. But using that to make a college decision for a family is ridiculous.

Then, they can go to NC State and stay in the ACC. Look at

May 27, 2012, 5:47 PM

the PAC 10. Do you think they are as centrally located as the SEC? No. No other conference is ...or was. The landscape has changed.Heck, it seems like I read last year that one of players mothers was coming to Clemson for the first time to see her son play. They don's all get to go to away games.

the point is that it is the family's choice. Don't hate on

May 27, 2012, 10:35 PM

the reasons they choose a school. yes staying close to home is certainly an option for them. this is one example of a family with that as a high priority. they've chosen Clemson for that reason and now the situation is in flux (not really but everyone thinks it is) why should they not be concerned?

Re: Let's see all the players from Florida have to drive a long

May 27, 2012, 6:01 PM [ in reply to Let's see all the players from Florida have to drive a long ]

I think the parent was discussing trips to away games and also was discussing concerns over his son travelling longer distances and would it negatively effect his son's academics.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Most of these games are on chartered flights. It would not

May 27, 2012, 9:14 PM

be an hours difference on flights to UT or OU vs BC and Syracuse. The total time difference would not be 5 or 6 hours a year at the most.

Sammy's family do have a long way to drive..... but

May 27, 2012, 9:38 PM [ in reply to Let's see all the players from Florida have to drive a long ]

over half of our team is from SC. And for most SC parents, Atlanta, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Durham... all are day trips. Even VTech is not that far. Even for many Ga players, several of our away games are day trips. And with our recent success in North Carolina, many away games are day trips.

The point of the article is that almost ALL away games are too far. And I know a few parents whose sons have played ball. Not just football. And not just for Clemson. And they ALL take away games into consideration.

But I am sure there are parents out there who do not consider it - such as some Florida families for example. But using that logic, then it would seem we would get even more Fl players - say from Miami. Yet, Miami gets most all of those. ?? Would seeing their children play games be on their mind??

Not true at all. We lose recruits from poor families all the

May 27, 2012, 9:54 PM [ in reply to pretty sure youre the one missing the point ]

time to schools farther away than Clemson. Kids go where they think they will play the most, be most successful, and get into the NFL.

Re: You still don't get it…...

May 27, 2012, 5:26 PM [ in reply to You still don't get it…... ]

I think you are wrong. Families that want to see their son play find a way to get to games. Families that dont want to see him play..don't. It is easy to pack up a suv or van and split travel costs with friends and relatives.

Pretty sure why the parent is not named in this article....so, people like you will not be saying....player sucks, we don't need him anyway. He is a wuss.....

I don't diss players, former or current***

May 27, 2012, 5:28 PM

also part of finding a way is to go close to home.***

May 27, 2012, 5:37 PM [ in reply to Re: You still don't get it…... ]

Re: Let's be a little realistic here dude…...

May 27, 2012, 5:03 PM [ in reply to Let's be a little realistic here dude…... ]

dude, guess you have never sat in the parents section at away games. some parents might not be able to make every game but most find a way to make most. by the way i am very middle class

if you have only missed 10 games since 1980,…...

May 27, 2012, 5:15 PM

including away games. Then if your middle class, you must be putting extra money aside to afford those away trips. Which would be taking money away from vacations, going to restaurants, buying nicer clothes, not spending as much money on your children if you have children, not going to movies or concerts as much.

Re: if you have only missed 10 games since 1980,…...

lmfao, i think it is called planning. i have 2 grown sons that are doing very well, they even have some nice clothes. my "vacation" time over the years has been to follow clemson football. me and the wife even went to omaha 2 years ago. did nashville, st. louis along the way. nice "vacation". you dont have to stay at the hilton or eat in 5 star restaurants when you go somewhere.

you just made my point…..

May 27, 2012, 5:27 PM

you sacrificed other vacations to go to Clemson away games. My post pointed out the planning, and you just affirmed it to me.

Re: you just made my point…..

May 27, 2012, 5:30 PM

i sacrificed nothing. glad you got me figured out, dude.

you just admitted your vacations were Clemson away games...

May 27, 2012, 5:32 PM

which was my point you had to make some sort of sacrifice to afford to go to all those Clemson away games.

Re: you just admitted your vacations were Clemson away games...

May 27, 2012, 5:34 PM

thanks dude you got it all figured out.

you don't have to get upset that I pin pointed how you were

May 27, 2012, 5:37 PM

able to go all of the Clemson away games.

lmao..

May 27, 2012, 5:55 PM

you pinpointed nothing. You have no idea how he is able to go to Clemson away games. You are just pulling stuff out of the air to try to be right. And honestly, it is really none of your business how he mananges his money or his vacations....or what he wears.

Uh yes I did pin point…...

May 27, 2012, 5:59 PM

one of the reason's I listed that he was able to go to Clemson away games was that going to Clemson away games was his vacations. Which he admitted. And honestly I never said it was my business how he manages his money or vacations.

Re: Uh yes I did pin point…...

May 27, 2012, 6:01 PM

and dont forget, i beat my wife and kids when we lose.

whoa, dude, going a little over board there***

May 27, 2012, 6:16 PM

no offense, but unless you've ever made the commitment

May 27, 2012, 6:06 PM [ in reply to you just admitted your vacations were Clemson away games... ]

to go to every game the Tigers play in.......for a number of years......the cameraderie is difficult to explain. And you can't make that commitment for any but one reason and one reason only......because you love the university and its athletic teams.

The incredible thing is.....you recognize and meet a bunch of like-minded folks ON THE ROAD after a while who want no publicity, no accolades,......they do it just because they love the Tigers. In every sport.

You can't do it for any other reason.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen brother***

May 28, 2012, 8:24 AM

Nm

Sorry but watching Clemson isn't a "sacrifice"

May 27, 2012, 6:27 PM [ in reply to you just admitted your vacations were Clemson away games... ]

I see nothing wrong with that. My family knows that I plan my holiday around the bowl game - I've done it for years and God willing will do so for any more. Last year I put in more than 200 hours of steering wheel time so that I could watch Clemson football games. I'm a long way from rich but it comes down to priorities. I don't have kids so they don't "suffer" by having to go to the games with me.

I completely understand what the parent is talking about having made the drive from TX multiple times during a football season. Make no mistake about it- it sucks. And generally speaking the farther you travel the more expensive the trip is.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You have done the trip for many years. They would at the

May 27, 2012, 9:21 PM

most for 4 years. Having 4 children that have college degrees, I would have been happy to get a free college ride vs paying for away trips.

For many it isnt an either/or

May 27, 2012, 11:18 PM

They can have a free ride for their kid at a good program and a reasonable travel schedule. In the end the kid (and his family) will decide if they are willing to either not watch em play or drive a long way to do so. I certainly don't see that as a positive for recruiting but there are additional factors that will go into the decision (most notably the championship format - 4 vs 8 teams).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How the heck do you know...

May 27, 2012, 5:33 PM [ in reply to you just made my point….. ]

how he wants to spend his vacations? Seems to me like he took a lot of mini vacations.

You think he plannned in Jan to go to Omaha in June? Or which bowl game he planned to go to in Sept?

If he has plenty of orange in his wardrobe, I guess he is dressed just fine when he takes his vacations.

Re: How the heck do you know...

May 27, 2012, 5:36 PM

250, this guy has me figured out. i am just a rich guy that denied his kids nice clothes and never takes my wife anywhere. lol

didn't say you were rich just pointed out the way you….

May 27, 2012, 5:40 PM

have been able to afford to go to all the Clemson away games.

I just pointed out how he was able to go to all the away….

May 27, 2012, 5:39 PM [ in reply to How the heck do you know... ]

games since he was very middle class. Don't get your panties in a wad.

Re: if you have only missed 10 games since 1980,…...

May 27, 2012, 5:37 PM [ in reply to if you have only missed 10 games since 1980,…... ]

wow, dude, really?!!? You are telling the guy how to use his money? Questioning what he decides to do with it? I'm really not sure what you are trying to say here.

The point is that, as Tiger Fans, we all want to see as many games in person as we can. It is obviously going to affect what this "commit" or "recruit"'s final decision is going to be. It will affect other commits' thoughts of playing for us. The fact is that it is a lot more travel for anyone wanting to go to these games.

It would seem that you are questioning the validity of the story. Whether or not this was an actual person, do you really believe that it won't affect recruits playing for us? There are lots of kids that are out there that are going to be playing football. Most of them stay close to home. We already have issues with Fla and Ga pulling kids away from us to play in the SEC, and close to home. Do you really think that giving opposing coaches more ammo is a good idea? We need to get better as a team, and affect the level of competition in the ACC. Swofford won't be here forever. Everything cycles. We need to control our destiny from where we are, not from what ESPN or others say.

Never told the guy how to use his money. He said he was...

May 27, 2012, 5:44 PM

very middle class. And I pointed out the ways he could afford to go to so many away games. And the one that was were his vacations were Clemson away games. Never did I once tell this guy how to use his money.

I understand that your upset that some Clemson fans no longer want to be in the ACC. If you like being in a conference that has taken every step to devalue football then that's your opinion. Mine I would rather be in a conference that cares about football and keeps us up money wise with SEC, Big 10, and PAC 12 teams.

Re: Let's be a little realistic here dude…...

May 27, 2012, 9:58 PM [ in reply to Let's be a little realistic here dude…... ]

You actually believe deroberts? lol

null

Re: And who is this "parent". Another thing…..

May 27, 2012, 7:15 PM [ in reply to And who is this "parent". Another thing….. ]

you would only travel to 3 or 4 games away and Fla St ,West Viginia and one other school. you would have Texas, Oka,Oka St,TCU coming to the valley in some years. sell out in each one of those. bring it on and leave the Swoffy behind.

Many go to away games ....

May 27, 2012, 8:15 PM [ in reply to And who is this "parent". Another thing….. ]

They want to see their Son Play LIVE. Sit at home and watch it on the telly?, meantime Bubba and Bevis have bragging rights at the Dew Drop Inn?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree

May 28, 2012, 8:49 AM [ in reply to And who is this "parent". Another thing….. ]

Sounds like alot of crap to be.
(meaning the lead thread)

What about the parents of all our Florida kids who have

a trek just for our home games?

Should we only recruit in state?

Your post points to the absurdity of this "parents" pov….

May 27, 2012, 5:02 PM

Some of the kids we have recruited from Florida come from lower income backgrounds. Unless they relocate to SC, it's highly unlikely that they would even be there for all the home games, much less travel to the away games.

Most people are confused by logic. Careful!!***

May 27, 2012, 9:58 PM [ in reply to What about the parents of all our Florida kids who have ]

Some of you people will argue anything.***

"YOU PEOPLE"

May 27, 2012, 9:45 PM

What do you mean by that? ;)

Joking.

Short-sighted; must be an "anonymous" friend of Swoffords....should the Tigers get left out of the anticipated "big 4" conferences, there will be no need to worry about recruiting; it won't be necessary...

How about a PLAYER'S Viewpoint?

If you're really good and plan to play would you rather play Texas or Duke?

exactly***

Florida State, Virginia Tech, Miami***

May 27, 2012, 5:10 PM [ in reply to How about a PLAYER'S Viewpoint? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We haven't played duke in 6 years.***

May 27, 2012, 5:17 PM [ in reply to How about a PLAYER'S Viewpoint? ]

Baylor, KU, ISU ....

May 27, 2012, 6:30 PM [ in reply to How about a PLAYER'S Viewpoint? ]

The big 12 has its share of Dukes...

Re: Baylor, KU, ISU ....

May 28, 2012, 9:40 AM

i don't think dook could ever beat a team like osu, as isu did last year to keep them out of the nc game.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So they can afford to relocate the family

May 27, 2012, 4:56 PM

But won't be able to afford 3-4 road games per year? Interesting...

Re: So they can afford to relocate the family

May 27, 2012, 4:58 PM

lol some of you goobers are just off the chain.

May 27, 2012, 5:07 PM

And some of you "goobers" have the narrowest of visions.

The landscape is changing. Technology is changing. IF Clemson goes to the Big 12, it's not the end of the world. I suppose you want us to join the SEC, where we would play Arkansas, Mizzou, Texas A&M, LSU, Ole Miss and Miss State. Yea, those places are easy to fly into and just a short drive from Clemson.

Bottom line is, staying in the ACC is going to put us into the "new Big East" of football: A conference that cares solely about basketball. When The Pac-12, B1G, Big 12 and SEC are competing year in and year out for the national title, and poor lil ole Clemson keeps getting screwed into an Orange Bowl match with whoever wins the Big East, don't go complaining that we got screwed despite the fact that we went undefeated and every school playing for the title has 1-loss. There's a reason a 1-loss SEC school gets into the title game over other undefeateds/1-loss teams. That conference is better. Period. And when there are 4 conferences that are better, we have nothing to do but point our fingers at ourselves for not leaving.

^^^stated it perfectly^^^^***

May 27, 2012, 5:16 PM

May 27, 2012, 9:59 PM [ in reply to Re: So they can afford to relocate the family ]

once again cant say anything but insult.

You are a clown deroberts.

null

Guess they only have one child!

May 27, 2012, 5:07 PM [ in reply to So they can afford to relocate the family ]

Either that, or they spaced the kids 5 years apart (includes the red-shirt year) so they can relocate when each child starts college!

Yeah, he's right. Forget the Big XII!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very selfish point of view

May 27, 2012, 4:59 PM

In the long run, the move to the Big 12 will, of course, help recruiting in a BIG way. Typical response from a recruit's relative, but the bottom line is "Who cares?"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How so? If it's only us and FSU, it could well turn out to

May 27, 2012, 5:01 PM

the perspective of lots of families.

Re: Unless this results in the formation of a Big 12 East

May 27, 2012, 5:05 PM

and a 16-team league (Clemson and 5 other former ACC schools), this is a bad deal for Clemson long term. It may be the best deal available, but still a bad deal.

Big 12 would not hurt recruiting

May 27, 2012, 5:09 PM

there are reasons why some people pick certain schools....they like the school.....

I was a parent of a D1 women's bball player...I was proud they attained their dream....and wherever they played ...if I could go..I went...if not....all schools now have video live streaming of games.....

it's what you do...the kid is playing....if they are happy....we were happy!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Flying to Tx or Kansas is no different than flying to Miami

May 27, 2012, 10:14 PM [ in reply to How so? If it's only us and FSU, it could well turn out to ]

or Boston. The only academics that would be effected would be the occasional Thursday night road game.

FANS don't know this, but any alumni will tell you, baseball, basketball, and other olympic sports athletes miss a lot of class due to midweek events. Football players rarely miss class due to games. They take morning classes so they can leave on Friday afternoons for travel.

Meh

May 27, 2012, 5:00 PM

That's one point of view, and they have valid concerns based on what they want. They want to see every game their son plays in, home and away. But not everyone will be moving to Clemson to watch their kids play all home and away games. What will they do if their kid goes to the NFL? Plus other schools such as Boise, all PAC 12 schools, etc deal with this same problem. It's just something we would have to get used to. I don't think Sammy Watkins family moved up here did they? There are other ways to spin this in your favor as a recruiter.

Truth is Clemson is at a serious crossroads. There is no perfect solution in my opinion, unless the SEC gave us an invite, but we all know that's not happening.

If their son goes to the NFL, he will be making enough....

May 27, 2012, 5:03 PM

money to fly his parents out to games.

Very true. ### am I thinking lol***

May 27, 2012, 5:04 PM

Whatever....This will not hurt our recruiting

Some of you guys

May 27, 2012, 5:12 PM

blow my mind with your self centered attitudes. I agree with this parent 100% and many others do as well. And for what it's worth ......... Clemson 'ain't' going any place so find something else to wring your hands over. GO TIGERS! Be the best in the ACC and you will ALWAYS be a front page team, regardless of the experts.

ED ZACHARY!***

May 27, 2012, 5:14 PM

Re: Some of you guys

May 27, 2012, 5:16 PM [ in reply to Some of you guys ]

### are you talking about, How the heck am I self centered? I dont care who you agree with this move will not hurt recruiting. Its the right move to make so get on board or go away

Re: Some of you guys

May 27, 2012, 5:21 PM [ in reply to Some of you guys ]

I wish U were right,, but know that if we stay in the dying ACC we are doomed to be another ECU or worse..in 5 years we will be a So Con level football program!! c$$tts and their $$ will dominate us forever or until the ACC goes belly-up!!

I have thought about all of this before.. there is no doubt that we will lose some recruits when we move to the Big 12 but what if we don`t? how long will it be before Clemson is on So Con level?? 5 years @ most.. meanwhile the dirty c$$ts beat us every year in every sport!! what will recruiting be then?we are between a rock and a hard place; #### if we do and #### if we don`t!!!!IMHO we should do what it takes to @ LEAST TRY to maintain a top level sports program!! the ACC will never be that place!! never agin

I think it's a wash

May 27, 2012, 5:15 PM

We will lose some due to travel and we will gain some due to having more high profile games.

Games against Texas, OK, OK State instead of Duke, WF and BC.

Dear Mystery Parent......

May 27, 2012, 5:20 PM

Clemson Plays 7 Home games per year out of a 12 game schedule..... either 2013 or 2014 that may be 6 games because of the UGA series which is still only 90 miles or so away......

This year, we will play at Boston Mass. It is 983 Away from Clemson. Next Year We add Syracuse to that Schedule. That is 850 Miles Away. Miami Is 751 miles away. Pitt is 565 miles away. College Park Maryland is 539 Miles Away

TCU is a Tad Closer that Boston.

It is very like that Clemson in a Big 12 East that will have the majority of the schools geographically friendly....

If you are more worried about the games you can see as opposed to your son's future, Clemson may NOT be the right school for you....For the players and families that are not willing to put up with this little inconvenience, there will be other great players that will gladly take their place that may not have considered Clemson before in order to complete against some of the biggest programs in the nation.

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Re: Dear Mystery Parent......

May 27, 2012, 5:23 PM

Dont flood the post with logic these anti expansion people will get mad

May 27, 2012, 5:26 PM [ in reply to Dear Mystery Parent...... ]

hey that is it. do all you can to p!ss off this parent. maybe you can get her son to look elsewhere. lol

The Tail Cannot Wag the Dog at Clemson!***

May 27, 2012, 5:28 PM

May 27, 2012, 5:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Dear Mystery Parent...... ]

hahahaha

If this parent gets that upset over what some of us nutjobs

May 27, 2012, 5:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Dear Mystery Parent...... ]

say anonymously on internet message board, they seriously need to get some back bone. Because if the kid of this parent, ever makes it to the NFL they will have to deal with print and tv media eviscerating their kid.

May 27, 2012, 5:26 PM [ in reply to Dear Mystery Parent...... ]

Don't forget, if you go to school in the....

SEC: Your traveling to Gainesville, FL; Columbia, SC; Fayetteville, AR; College Station, TX; Columbia, MO....

Big Ten: State College, PA; Minneapolis MN; Lincoln, NE...

Big 12: Lubbock, TX; Aimes, IA, Manhattan KS; Morgantown, WV...

Pac 12: Pullman, WA; Tuscon, AZ; Los Angeles, CA; Berkeley, CA...

Big East: Storrs, CT; Tampa, FL; Louisville, KY....

ACC: Miami, FL; Boston, MA...

Just to point out a few of the distances you will be traveling if your child decides to go to any of these major conference schools.

God Forbid you end up in the WAC, MWC, Conf USA or somewhere else where the distances go from Louisiana Tech to Hawaii to Boise State to San Jose State to Rice to East Carolina....

pretty sure the are looking at the number of close games not

May 27, 2012, 5:48 PM

the farthest games on the schedule. put us in the big 12 and you can list the entire conference in your graph.

Re: pretty sure the are looking at the number of close games not

May 27, 2012, 6:05 PM

There are 50 states in the union in which to recruit from

Re: pretty sure the are looking at the number of close games not

May 27, 2012, 6:06 PM [ in reply to pretty sure the are looking at the number of close games not ]

OK, let's do this...right now, this season is our schedule

7 home games (4 conf, 3 non-conf)
1 neutral in ATL
1 at Duke (cross division)
1 at Wake(in division)
1 at BC (in division)
1 at FSU (in division)

-10 out of 12 are 1-day trips or at home.
-The other 2 require a weekend trip
^^^---1 of those is most likely a plane trip.

Move to a "hypothetical Big 12" and let's use a model of Conf/Divisions most of us have predicted.

Clemson, FSU, WV, TCU, Baylor, ISU in one Division
UT, TT, OU, OSU, KU and K-State in the other

We would have...

7 home games (4 conf, 3 non-conf)
1 neutral in ATL (Chick-fil-a type of game)
1 at FSU (in division)
2 more in division road games (@ TCU, @ ISU; just as examples of furthest travel)
1 cross division road game (@ TT; just as example of furtherest travel)

-8 out of 12 in state or 1 day trip (ATL)
-1 weekend trip, but driving distance (FSU)
-3 weekend trips, likely by plane

So I'm seeing 2 extra games when cross-referencing schedules, that would cause people to not be able to travel. Wow. 2 whole games.

Your turn...

This year our 2 farthest opponents are away

May 27, 2012, 11:00 PM

next year they are both at home.

4 conference games at home 4 away

ACC six out of eight road road games every 2 years are reasonable trips. in the Big 12 4 out of four road games require flights. every year. FSU who would be our Regional rival, are listed as a long trip in your argument.

Here's the deal. there are 2 different arguments going on in this thread. some are arguing for realignment and some are arguing for a parents reason to choose a college.

I'm not against moving to the B12 if its in CU's best interest. But i'm also not going to hate on a family for having certain priorities when picking a school. if you pick CU for a certain set of reasons and all of the sudden it changes. would that not make you pause and reconsider? I think everyone is arguing different points using the same language and not considering the parents point of view.

Beside what I posted above this

May 27, 2012, 6:09 PM [ in reply to pretty sure the are looking at the number of close games not ]

I was making the point that in ANY GIVEN CONFERENCE, unless you are smack in the middle, you're going to travel and travel long distances. You think people don't want to go Oregon b/c the Pac 12 makes you travel to Arizona/Arizona State and Southern Cal every year? Or People don't go to Nebraska because they will have to travel to Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State? C'mon man. Weak sauce argument

You might want to look at going to Furman

ept. 1 @ Samford*
Sept. 8 COASTAL CAROLINA
Sept. 15 @ Clemson
Sept. 22 @ Presbyterian
Sept. 29 WESTERN CAROLINA* (Family Weekend), 1:30
Oct. 6 @ Wofford*
Oct. 13 CHATTANOOGA*
Oct. 20 GEORGIA SOUTHERN* (Homecoming), 1:30
Oct. 27 @ Elon*
Nov. 3 (Bye)
Nov. 10 @ Appalachian State*
Nov. 17 THE CITADEL

If you are in good shape and you move to Greenville, I think you could make to all of those games by bicycle.

May 27, 2012, 5:22 PM

That poor kid is probaly praying we move to the Big 12. That way he'll be able to get away from his parents for a couple weekends each year.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ROFL. You may be right!***

May 27, 2012, 5:25 PM

Poor kid just found out his parents were moving with him to

May 27, 2012, 5:54 PM

college.........wait, didn't Garcia's mom do that. Do they have two sons?

That would have been my view at that age, but you

May 27, 2012, 6:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: A parent's point of view ]

have to appreciate the parents point of view. What I take away from this is that there will be positives and negatives to either staying in the SEC or moving to the Big-12. I wonder what Dabo thinks about this?

Clemson Survived Kyle Parker's Mom if you Remember....

May 27, 2012, 5:27 PM

In fact we were better...

No Recruit or Parent should Ever hold Clemson hostage. We are bigger than that. These kids need to understand that the worse thing after the "rapture" of conference alignment is to NOT be the one left behind.

and his Helicopter Dad***

May 27, 2012, 5:45 PM

Yea Arkansas almost imploded thanks to players parents***

May 27, 2012, 10:28 PM [ in reply to Clemson Survived Kyle Parker's Mom if you Remember.... ]

I sure hope we don't choose our conference based on

May 27, 2012, 5:42 PM

a parent seeing their kid's game in person one or two more times a year. That is sheer selfishness. The conference affiliation will last for far many more years than the 4 years of one athlete's career. Do you hear parent's of recruits that choose the SEC say it's because it is so they can see them more...or because it is the best conference in college football? Recruits will be saying I choose Clemson because they are in the Big 12 and it is the best conference in college football.

Sounds to me like they are not living for their kids, but

May 27, 2012, 5:56 PM

through their kids.

As a parent and football coach

May 27, 2012, 6:05 PM

I can say to bad for the parents. I have watched numerous football players leave Virginia for states far out of the commuting area. the recruiting process is not about the parents, is about the student athlete. If these patents are upset that they can only watch 1 out 3 games a year then sorry for your loss. As a parent if one of my boys have the opportunity to play a sport in another state and that's where he wants to play then I well support him in his decision

I have read all of the above posts and I see a lot of

May 27, 2012, 6:08 PM

responses that appear to be based on emotions connected to the Big 12/ACC argument instead of the facts behind this parent's concerns. I have felt from the start of this Big 12 discussion that many recruits and their families might feel this way. Imagine the edge with SOME recruits this might give USUC over us in addition to the current SEC/ACC crap that our recruits hear now.(Notice I said SOME recruits before responding). Other people seem to have missed the fact that the article is about a middle class family that does want to travel to away games. I hope we continue to get some players from this income group and not pack them off to Columbia.

the article never states that this is a middle class family***

May 27, 2012, 6:19 PM

Re: the article never states that this is a middle class family***

May 27, 2012, 6:21 PM

Uh better read again dude

Point- and thanks.***

May 27, 2012, 6:27 PM

Sixth line down from the Big 12 Logo- "us being in the

May 27, 2012, 6:25 PM [ in reply to the article never states that this is a middle class family*** ]

middle class". What else do you choose to ignore from the intent of the interview with a commitment's parent and facts about how they feel. This wasn't some hypothetical case of "I think/you think" situation.If this family feels this way, could not others as well?

This might help...

May 27, 2012, 6:31 PM [ in reply to the article never states that this is a middle class family*** ]

http://www.literacy.uconn.edu/compre.htm

If they are middle class, and their son is getting a 00%

May 27, 2012, 6:36 PM [ in reply to I have read all of the above posts and I see a lot of ]

free ride and they live in Clemson, so they do not have to travel for 7 games AT ALL, they can fly to the 2 or 3 LONG road trips.

lol yea pointing out logic and facts and this parents lack

May 27, 2012, 10:40 PM [ in reply to I have read all of the above posts and I see a lot of ]

of both has nothing to do with the Big XII. FYI the SEC is adding TexA&M and other distant schools. Clemson plays Mia & BC, flying there is no different than flying to Texas or Kansas.

What a load of crap.

May 27, 2012, 6:10 PM

When our football is relegated to that of the Southern Conference than we can all rejoyce and sleep better knowing that some parents can see their kids play all their road games in a meaningless conference.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^best post of the day^^^^^***

May 27, 2012, 6:20 PM

this is ONE of many factors to consider making a move

May 27, 2012, 6:31 PM

one of many....my mom and brothers went to Citadel games from VMI to Georgia Southern...all driving. There is no way they could have gone to the away games if they would have had to fly....BUT....BUT....if they could only go to the games in Charleston life would have continued.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Move on.. nothing to see here. A parent won't make

May 27, 2012, 7:27 PM

make or break the decision for Clemson to stay or move conferences. And, that's not me being "cold".... I get it... but ultimately it won't matter.

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER- http://twitter.com/#!/SonsOfClemson

Complete load of crap. End of story.

May 27, 2012, 7:28 PM

There are only a handful of ACC schools in easy driving distance of Clemson.

if we stay in the ACC he won't have a NC to watch his son

May 27, 2012, 7:35 PM

play in either.

give me a freaking break, this applies to a very small amount of people. some players don't want to come to CU because we don't play many big time schools, you can't please everybody.

get over it, the Big XII is our only option

this parent must be forgetting the fact that if we go

May 27, 2012, 7:36 PM

there will surely by several (FSU for sure) schools FROM THE ACC going with us... so what's the problem?

SCar will use this against us when recruiting local talent.

May 27, 2012, 8:01 PM

They are going to say, Athens, Nashville, Knoxville, Lexington are a stones throw away. Heck, Auburn and Tuscaloosa can be driven to in no time. And if the SEC brings in NC State and Virginia Tech....oh well.

Re: SCar will use this against us when recruiting local talent.

May 27, 2012, 8:03 PM

That's why we need a Whitney Hotel in Clemson!

Clemson can use the fact it has won and will win titles***

May 27, 2012, 10:24 PM [ in reply to SCar will use this against us when recruiting local talent. ]

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Many Big-12 Bigots don't "get it" ....

May 27, 2012, 8:13 PM

ACC has a prestige that the Big-12 does not. Many out of state students go to Clemson because its an ACC School, that is, its academic quality. Big-12 schools overall are "football mills" where the school itself is one step above a Community College. Clemson is MORE then the Football team, Clemson is the sum of its parts.

yeah.. I'm sure Sammy Watkins was screaming at his parents

May 27, 2012, 8:37 PM

saying "but mom and dad, Clemson just has such great Academic Prestige in the ACC!!!"

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER- http://twitter.com/#!/SonsOfClemson

Football "scholarship" players are the exception .....

May 27, 2012, 9:05 PM

not the rule, you idiot. You think most of the students chose Clemson because of the Football Team??? !!!!

I don't think the ACC has ANYTHING AT ALL TO DO

May 27, 2012, 9:34 PM

with why kids choose Clemson...I bet half the kids at Clemson couldn't tell you what the ACC stands for. They come to Clemson because it's an excellent school...not because of an athletic conference.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are correct... and

May 27, 2012, 11:08 PM

its true that half the kids do not know what the ACC stands for, even less know what the B-12 is (a conference with 10 team, yeah, name makes lots of sense) They DO know that the ACC has a lot of good schools in it, and that's good enough

Do you really think non-athlete students choose Clemson

May 27, 2012, 11:46 PM

Because they are in an athletic conference with Duke, NC etc.?

no....again 1/2 the kids at Clemson couldn't name the

May 28, 2012, 8:39 AM

schools in the ACC...if they can't name them why do you think they chose Clemson because of it.....they didn't.

Yes ....

May 28, 2012, 9:51 AM [ in reply to Do you really think non-athlete students choose Clemson ]

It has nothing nothing do with Sports ... they know that Clemson is in the same group as Duke, UVa, UNC, etc ... all very fine academic institutions. I believe there was an article published very recently where the ACC was rated far and above the best academic conference. I believe that is why the majority of the faculty are not jumping for joy for the B-12 business

Could someone explain to them

May 27, 2012, 8:35 PM

That we play 7-8 games at home out of that 13-14 game schedule. Additionally I would assume we'd play FSU and WVU in alternating years, making at least one driveable road trip per year. I know many parents are super-involved and want to see every single game their kids are in, but I would expect most parents to be somewhat realistic and realize that they might have to miss 3 to 5 of their kid's games per season.

Me thinks David Hood.......

May 27, 2012, 8:49 PM

Has a man crush on Jonny Swofford and is an acc homer. He should go write for the tarholes or get a job with raycom.

In denial.***

May 27, 2012, 9:23 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2012, 9:44 PM

This parent cracks me...how about they take one of these charters buses to the away games? Many organizations do this every year. Oh well, I don't go to away games much anyway

May 27, 2012, 10:01 PM

Lets see

1. Recruiting cycle takes a hit for a couple years because of travel (which im calling bs on)

Or

2. Recruiting takes a nosedive for a generation because we get left out of the big 4

Parson me current parent of said recruit but please stop. Your making yourself look like a complete idiot

If his son goes somewhere in the Southern Conference,

May 27, 2012, 10:22 PM

he won't have to travel as far. Ridiculous bunch of whining. If you don't want to play the best and compete for championships, then go somewhere else where daddy can attend all the games. I am sure PC has plenty of scholarships.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2012, 10:29 PM

it won't matter t-with an "eastern" division

If we go Big12, others close by will also.***

May 27, 2012, 10:31 PM

Exactly....if we go there will be a group close.***

May 28, 2012, 8:13 AM

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Think about Notre Dame

May 27, 2012, 11:36 PM

They aren't really close to some of their opponents.

In 2010, they played @BC- 15 hours and @Southern Cal- 33 hours.
In 2011, they played @Wake- 13 hours and @Stanford- 35 hours.

This season their away games include BC, USC, and @Oklahoma- 14 hours.

Considering that BC and Miami are both +13 hours away, and that College Park is 10 hours, the distances to TCU, OU, and OSU are comparable.

And another thing...

May 27, 2012, 11:39 PM

Is watching all of your kid's games in person that #### important? Would a parent really prevent their son from playing in one of the best conferences in the country because they couldn't see him play in person a few games a year?

Sounds like a momma's boy to me.

(Or, the folks at Tigernet are thinking about their own budgets.)

Been saying this all along...GET A CLUE folks! Big issue***

May 28, 2012, 8:45 AM

Disagree!! (totally)

May 28, 2012, 8:46 AM

Listen folks...

any change is going effect "some" recruits. Just like
you can't make every fan happy, you can't make every
recruit happy. One change may affect one player in a
negative way,while it has a POSITIVE affect on another.
If a Big 12 move makes a couple players wanna leave..
"SOO BE IT!!" (thanks for considering us).
Too many of you wanna talk about being "BIG TIME" but
you don't wanna do what it takes to be BIG TIME,lame.
The ACC doesn't, nor have they ever appreciated Clemson.
Get the heck out,now..."IF" and while we can.

IMO.

Why does everyone assume all the parents live in SC?

May 28, 2012, 8:55 AM

I'm sure the kids that come from the Midwest will love it for their parents, the parents of kids from the northeast won't be affected as much and he'll, we might even pick up a few more of those big ### Texas boys lol

May 28, 2012, 9:36 AM

I respect the parent's concern, but it absolutely will not hurt recruiting. Sure you may lose recruits here and there, but for everyone you "lose," there will be two waiting to take his place.

Besides, if you are making you decision based on where away games are played, maybe you need to look at Newberry or Wofford who stay in the tri-state area. Additionally, your son is saving you $20,000 - $37,000 a year. You can make it to Texas for a game every now and then.

But lastly, going to the Big XII, would include the addition of "eastern" teams so you don't play in Texas/ OK every other week.

Clemson must do what is best for overall program. Sorry...

May 28, 2012, 10:00 AM

if it is an inconvenience for some. I can't go either, but will support whatever move keeps Clemson relevant and competitive. How do these parents currently go to BC, Miami, Syracuse, etc. There will always be trips of great distance.

Re: Clemson must do what is best for overall program. Sorry...

May 28, 2012, 11:16 AM

Totally agree. And we'll still have our 7 home games during the regular season for all the parents to attend. Not missing any of the receitals or games all throughout your child's life will eventually end, at least in college. D-1 College Football is a national sport not just played regional(actually local) like high school.

Re: Clemson must do what is best for overall program. Sorry...

May 28, 2012, 4:24 PM

Don't know whether anyone has mentioned it, but what if their recruit goes to the NFL? Their home game might be in Seattle. just a thought...
:)
GO TIGERS!!!

We Have 173 Relies...

May 28, 2012, 10:10 PM

do I hear 174 ..have 173 replies ... somebody go to 174 .. can't turn down this great post .. do I hear 174 --174 and counting ...

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 174
| visibility 201
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic