Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Sunday night update: Tigers won't be shocked by initial College Football Playoff spot
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

TNET: Sunday night update: Tigers won't be shocked by initial College Football Playoff spot

Oct 28, 2018, 7:03 PM

Sunday night update: Tigers won't be shocked by initial College Football Playoff spot

The initial College Football Playoff rankings will debut Tuesday and Clemson figures to be among the top four teams. For Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney and the rest of the Tigers, they will look at the rankings but it’s really business as usual for a program that is used to the national stage. Photo by Glenn Bell / USATODAY Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Sunday night update: Tigers won't be shocked by initial College Football Playoff spot

Oct 28, 2018, 7:09 PM

I respect dabo for being loyal, but I wholeheartedly dont believe spiers is the best punter on the team. At least give potter a shot on a couple of punts because as we saw last year against bama, flipping the field is huge

Similar situation to KB last year... he could get us TO the

Oct 28, 2018, 7:49 PM

playoffs, but he couldn't get us THRU the playoffs. Same thing with Spiers... he is "adequate" but we need more than just adequate. The kid that punted some at the Spring Game impressed me, but we haven't heard a word out of him. It's always amazed me why we could not get good kickers (punter and place kicker). I can only think of 3 outstanding punters in my 69 years: Dale Hatcher, Chris Gardocki, and Bradley Pinion. It would be nice to have someone like the kid from Syracuse... I think he kicked the ball higher than Ray Guy! His punts were so high they needed a "re-entry profile."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

punting is not just about how many yards and hang time

Oct 28, 2018, 9:24 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Sunday night update: Tigers won't be shocked by initial College Football Playoff spot ]

A lot of emphasis at the college and pro level go into getting the ball out quickly.

The snapper has a window that he has to get the ball into the punters hands. The punter has a target to catch the ball take his step and boot it.

A lot of people just want to insert potter but he may not have the timing down to help punt at this level yet.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Sunday night update: Tigers won't be shocked by initial College Football Playoff spot

Oct 28, 2018, 10:01 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Sunday night update: Tigers won't be shocked by initial College Football Playoff spot ]

I respect Dabo for consistently starting the best player. If there was another punter on the roster who deserves to play, we would have seen them by now! Dabo says if a player deserves to play he will play! I think Hunter Renfrew is the second team punter, and he punted in the Wake Forest game.

Oct 28, 2018, 7:46 PM

if he's our best option at punter we need to recruit one. only position we didn't improve on from last year. field position will catch up to us as we get near the end of the season and playoffs.

Well put...

Oct 28, 2018, 7:52 PM

In my opinion, field position in the first half of the Sugar Bowl probably cost us any chance we had at winning the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well put...

Oct 28, 2018, 9:27 PM

Negative lack of a passing threat cost us that game. We could have started at the 50 every series and still not scored more than 10 points.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2018, 8:19 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Sunday night update: Tigers won't be shocked by initial College Football Playoff spot ]

we have recruited a punter in the next class**

https://www.tigernet.com/recruit/Aidan-Swanson-3231

Oct 28, 2018, 9:16 PM

that's great but wont help us in the playoffs this year. time to at least give someone else a shot.

We have one committed

Oct 29, 2018, 9:26 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Sunday night update: Tigers won't be shocked by initial College Football Playoff spot ]

For this year already

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Start BT as a punter please***

Oct 28, 2018, 8:00 PM

Oct 28, 2018, 8:16 PM

Pretty sure we already locked up at least a game 13 Dabo....

yes 13 is locked up we are working towards 14***

Oct 28, 2018, 8:43 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not quite

Oct 28, 2018, 9:29 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Sunday night update: Tigers won't be shocked by initial College Football Playoff spot ]

If Boston college were to win out, they will represent the Atlantic. Only 1 conference loss. Now I don't see that happening, but we don't have it completely locked up yet.

Oct 28, 2018, 8:17 PM

This first committee selection is.not that important. Tigers WILL be in the top 4 and relative position is really irrelevant until 4 weeks from now. Dabo knows the important thing is to control what we can, and that's being ready for each of the next 4 games. We win out and it's ACC-C bound. With that win, we will go to the CFP, again. Looking forward to the ride.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2018, 8:37 PM

We need to win out in a convincing fashion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Oct 28, 2018, 8:23 PM

Our reaction to success should never be complacency. Dabo embodies that, and that is why we succeed.

Oct 28, 2018, 10:47 PM

I’m not sure what they’re debating over on the FSU fan site (or Texas, Wisconsin, etc.), but it sure as hell ain’t their punter! Life is good!

Oct 29, 2018, 10:31 AM

First of all, who gives a Whopping Floosy what spot we are in? I am so sick and tired of ESPN and their misguided pundits view of Clemson. I was listening to ESPN last night, and was sicken with their Alabama love affair. Sorry, but Clemson is the better team this year, and if we do not take the championship it will be because we lost to ourselves, not another team. Do not get me wrong, it will be a fight to the top, but every weekend Clemson is showing who they are…a dedicated well-disciplined team that knows what it takes to get to the top and they are hungry.

Anywho, there are two spots we are weak in…Punter and Field Goal Kicker…these are the two spot that can and will beat Clemson if something is not done quickly. I am not really sure what has happened to Huegel, but he has never been the same since his ACL surgery. If he is not lined up perfectly, he has trouble. This is not going to go well against the top teams. Will Spiers….hmmmmm we are big trouble. His 14 yard punt against FS was horrible. His average this year is 33.5…probably worse now. I have an idea…go to the soccer team and grab someone who can launch the football down the field.

Oct 29, 2018, 12:24 PM

Amazing! Clemson is winning games by 45 points and all this concern about our punter. Maybe I'm imagining this, but wasn't FSPU starting most of its drives from deep in their own end? Clemson hems the other teams in on kickoffs and then usually punts from close to mid-field because the offense is able to move the ball even if they don't score. The offense and defense more then make up for Spiers' deficiencies. But, I agree that Dabo might want to recruit someone else. Kind of stuck with Spiers for this year.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic