Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We could have more attrition than expected...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 3,652

We could have more attrition than expected...

Nov 9, 2015, 8:00 PM

The downside of success - players leave early.

Just off the top of my head, guys who could explore jumping early into the NFL draft include 1) Mike Williams, 2) Mackenzie Alexander, 3) Shaq Lawson (almost 100% on Lawson), 4) Jayron Kearse, 5) Cordrea Tankersley, and 6) Jordan Leggett. I doubt we'll lose them all, but we might - especially if Clemson finishes the season in the national spotlight, which seems likely. Wayne Gallman (7) would also be eligible for the draft...I hope he wouldn't jump, but it's within the realm of plausibility.

We don't lose a ton of seniors this year - only Charone Peake, Eric MacLain, Joe Gore, DJ Reader, and BJ Goodson among the starters, and Amon Lakip and Kyle Norton off the 2-deep, along with RB CJ Davidson. What could really tilt things might be the transfers.

It appears Zac Brooks is declaring himself a senior and graduating and moving on. I also think it's entirely possible we could see somebody like Tyshon Dye transfer in search of PT, especially with Adam Choice redshirting, the emergence of CJ Fuller, and the eminent arrival of Tavien Feaster. We could lose a wideout or two; our depth chart is imposing and only looks to get worse with the arrival of at least two more 4-stars, plus probably Diondre Overton, who would immediately press for PT owing mostly to his size, which we simply don't have a ton of on the roster at the moment, especially with Peake graduating. Especially after Spring ball, I'd frankly be surprised if at least one wideout didn't transfer out. And there's usually a guy or two who just leave for whatever odd reason you didn't see coming.

We had originally planned on a small class - around 16 or so guys - but I could see it expanding some, depending on the number of guys who decide to jump early, and the number of potential transfers.

I could see that growing to 22 or even 24, depending on attrition.

The upside of success, though, is that it tends to turn heads that might not otherwise be looking at you, and with the coaching carousel about to spin in what looks like complete and utter crazy-like fashion, there are likely going to be a ton more blue-chip recruits than usual looking around late in the game this year. And Clemson will certainly be in prime position to open wide and scoop. So our "quiet" 2015/2016 recruiting season might turn out a lot more lively than was initially projected.

Uptown problems, for sure. But I suspect Clemson fans are going to be cramming their Spring programs and getting used to a lot more new faces than we were accustomed to, in prior regimes.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Again....great work and many thanks! This is the type of

Nov 9, 2015, 8:13 PM

"problem" most wished they had, some think they'll have...and only a select few will actually experience.

That we might be one of those select few is invigorating.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We could have more attrition than expected...

Nov 9, 2015, 8:16 PM

It's the price of success. The huge difference between us and other schools is that we don't show them the door if they don't make it, like usuc. They figure out they aren't good enough to be "The Guy" at Clemson, and they decide on their own, usually after completing their degree, that they need to go to a lesser school to get playing time, and they go on to very successful careers and make great livings and live great lives. At places like usuc, they just are kicked to the curb with no diploma, and they spend their lives selling fries, delivering newspapers or pumping gas. Not that there is anything wrong with any of those things. I like hot pizza, having the newspaper in my box at the right time and not leaving with the wrong fast food order when I'm not eating at a 5 star restaurant. The choice is theirs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good post. TU. Some seem to get excited about the

Nov 9, 2015, 8:19 PM

opportunity to open up spots for recruits. My preference is to remember we were excited about player ____________ when we signed him and I'd prefer him to stay and develop rather than trying to obtain a mythical "top recruiting class."

Not implying this is what you were saying, just that I hope, like Baker, guys stick it out. The NFL, well, even our punter was able to successfully enter those waters last year and who saw that coming!

null

Nice work Q !***

Nov 9, 2015, 8:20 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

These are getting better every time... +1.***

Nov 9, 2015, 8:23 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kearse, Tankersley, Leggett need to stay...IMHO, of course

Nov 9, 2015, 8:25 PM

Williams needs to be healthy for a year before he jumps as well.

Don;t know what these guys will do, but hope they can make good decisions for the long term.

Nov 9, 2015, 8:32 PM

I think Williams stays and becomes a top 20 pick. Nobody will use a first round pick on him with the guaranteed money. Don't see Tankersly and Gallman leaving. I would expect Gallman to stay and use up all of his eligibility. The other 4 are definitely gone.

I don't think we'll see a wideout leave, but I could see a running back leaving. A quarterback may leave. Dane Rogers and Martin Aiken I could see leaving. And possibly one or two cornerbacks.

I could see 6 current players leaving the program not counting those players that are going pro early.

The problem is we may not know for sure until after signing day.

I would add Carlos Watkins as a possibility as well. He may be ready to move on considering all he's been through.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2015, 8:48 PM

I dont claim to be an expert or have any insider info as some might, but I feel there is a good chance that we lose Mac, Shaq, and Leggett this year. I know before the season started, Leggett had called this his "Money Year" and hes hot right now. While I would love to keep him, especially since the light has truly come on for a talented kid like him, hard to deny him if hes given a 1st round grade. Nothing is promised for the future, and if he keeps on, he could definitely be getting paid come April. Shaq, well hes as hot a DE as their is in the Nation right now. Tank I think benefits from another year, especially since he woud be "The Guy" in the D Backfield. Wayne Train with another year is a LOT better I think. Kearse, I dunno. I think hes a great player, and while I think he could benefit from one more year just to keep learning, lets face it, physically hes a beast. Either way, the future is bright with the talent that keeps coming in. I mean, who really knew about Van Smith or Gibson prior to few weeks ago. Sure some did, but all the playing time they are getting these kids is paying dividends for the future. LOVE the direction this team is going towards. Great now, building even better for the future!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So "Q"...what you're saying is we better win the Natty this

Nov 9, 2015, 9:54 PM

year since we might not field a team in 2016 good or mature enough to gut eR Done!

LOL & Go#1CLEMSONTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think a lot of guys you think may leave

Nov 9, 2015, 11:25 PM [ in reply to Re: We could have more attrition than expected... ]

Will stay for another Totle Run with Deshaun. They love playing with that Cat and you never get those years back.

Sort of aimilar to the Jamies effect when almost all of FSU's Jr's came back to play with Jamies' last year.

DW4 is legit, and guys will stick around for another run at it.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seriously, Take TigerWoods advice

Nov 9, 2015, 9:53 PM

Get paid at STS to write

Nov 9, 2015, 10:02 PM

As far as your list, I'd say the first 4 are guaranteed gone. Hate it the most for Kearse I think - he's been one of my faves for a long time, even back a couple years ago when he was a lanky kid that most of you guys didn't trust. Back then, you could still tell his potential, and we've since watched him grow into a beast.

Either way, I think with all the losses we're fine - not until the 2017 season will we start to feel the loss of talent, and even then it's just a maybe.

Only players i could see leaving are

Nov 10, 2015, 12:06 AM

Kearse, Mac, Lawson and maybe Mike Williams to the draft. As far as transfers, Zach is either transferring or just graduating to start his career, i definitely see Tyshon Dye transferring...not sure why we haven't seen him much this yr unless he still isnt 100% healed from his previous injuries. Hopper could transfer if he continues to get lost on the depth chart and there could be a few others who will transfer or dismissed from the team. That's what so difficult about recruiting, you don't really plan for this to happen and sometimes its too late to find a recruit to replace the player that left on sudden terms.

Nov 10, 2015, 9:28 AM

Wow I guess all that is true but why so negative!!! Wish the guys well and hope we can bring in the next round of great players.

Hate to lose any of those guys early but it comes with thr territory

Nov 10, 2015, 9:39 AM

of having a successful program. Fortunately we reload instead of rebuild. No doubt the guys waiting their turn will step right in and fill their roles.

Replies: 15
| visibility 3,652
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic