Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Whats the feel about the defense next year ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Whats the feel about the defense next year ?

Jan 27, 2016, 2:55 PM

It seems opinions have been all over the map and I was wondering how others felt now after a few weeks reflection and having a much better idea of what recruits are coming in. It's obvious the offense will be unbelievable and one of the best if not the best offense in the country. One thing though I just have never been overly comfortable to have to rely on outscoring your opponent (like Oregon for example).The schedule lays out really good and I am hoping that the defense can be coached up pretty quick but I realize that might be a tall order with very good but inexperienced talent. But if you are going to need players coached up none better to do it than Coach V.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson is undefeated when they outscore their opponent.***

Jan 27, 2016, 2:58 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It has the talent to be top 25-30 at least

Jan 27, 2016, 3:00 PM

I put nothing past our coaches though. Lawrence, Smith, Lamar are already on campus and will all play this year. All 3 are 5 star athletes so there is a talent upgrade from who we lost. We will need the DE and Safety positions to become stabilize. CB will be fine wit Tank, Baker and Fields. LB will be slid with Chad Smith, Williams, Jospeh, BB, and the 3 studs coming in this year. DT will be the strength. We should be able to stop opposing team's running attack again which makes things much easier for your DEs and CB. Less thinking, more attacking because you know they have to pass

Re: Whats the feel about the defense next year ?

Jan 27, 2016, 3:03 PM

Honestly, it should be a top 10 defense again. People seem to have completely forgotten about Korrin Wiggins and Mark Fields. It also can't be stressed enough how great it is to have Smith and Lamar on campus already, I expect both of them to contribute next year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We could be playoff bound again, with a top 25 defense

Jan 27, 2016, 3:07 PM

Our offense will be the best in the nation, which should help us overcome some early growing pains on defense. The talent is here, it just needs to be developed. I'm more worried about our 2 deep on defense, than anything.

You can also throw in special teams, as a 2016 concern... :)

Jan 27, 2016, 3:17 PM

Recent experience shows that young talent can be coached and can succeed. I agree with you about the offense. They should cook the opposing defenses. And I believe the D will be fine. Where we need to improve (IMO) is in the specialty team areas. Kicking, coverage and return games all need to be significantly better. If so, I think Clemson will be outstanding again and will be one of the teams challenging for a national title.

Jan 27, 2016, 3:36 PM

I would say bruised and sore the next day if you are on the opposing offense.

Less questions for me about our D next year. Coming into

Jan 27, 2016, 3:39 PM

2015, there were questions about DT, DE, and LB, especially the depth at LB after Rogers left. We had never seen Kevin Dodd play much and Shaq had shown glimpses of greatness but had never played full-time. At DT, after Reader left, all were fresh faces except for Watkins who hadn't gotten back to his 2013 form. We were fortunate to not have any serious injuries at LB last year and Goodson and Bouleware both played better than most expected.

Looking ahead to 2016, DT is deeper than it's ever been. DE lost two great ones but the quality of players there and the sheer numbers make this a position of strength, imo. LB will have much needed depth, and more overall talent. CB seems pretty deep also. The only thing I'm worried about is injuries at safety. There are only 4 scholarship safeties in the program right now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The depth these last 2 recruiting classes are bringing in

Jan 27, 2016, 3:46 PM

on the defensive side of the ball will allow us to go up tempo on people early and often, more so than the lack of depth allowed us to last year.

The sophomores, redshirt freshmen and freshman on campus next fall will be a huge talent improvement in that underclassman group over prior years.

http://www.tigernet.com/view/scholarships/football.do

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 27, 2016, 3:46 PM

Personally think this defense will be the most athletic of all the defenses we've seen under Dabo.

Experience is the only issue, not talent. I think the schedule plays more into Clemsons favor than people realize. The defense will only get tested twice imo before FSU. Auburn and Louisville will be the only 2 teams that can really keep pace if the defense is bad. I know many would swap Louisville with GT as far as threats, but playing GT is assignment football they don't have dynamic players like Lamar Jackson or recruit like Auburn.

By the time of the FSU game I believe the defense will congealed and be playing at a very high level.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 27, 2016, 3:47 PM

I will let you know after the spring game

Ask me again in a week

Jan 27, 2016, 3:48 PM

I'll have more answers for you after signing day. hth.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic