Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We are penalized for close win vs UNC...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

We are penalized for close win vs UNC...

Nov 7, 2019, 11:14 AM

UNC > South Carolina > Georgia.

Georgia was not penalized half as much for losing to South Carolina only one spot behind us. Our close win was to a team that beat the team that beat the 6th place team in the nation. This doesn’t seem considered. What gives?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

One way to look at it

Nov 7, 2019, 11:22 AM

I don't much worry about it right now, but I can see some logic in the rankings of UGA and Clemson.

UGA v USC and Clem v UNC were very similar games. Both UGA and Clemson under-performed, both opponents (USC and UNC) had a realistic single play shot at wining the game late. Likewise both teams (Clemson and UGA) had a multiple single play chances for it to never come to that (UGA's FG, our multiple 4th down non-stops on D). In the end we made the play (and UNC didn't) and UGA didn't make the play (and USC did).

So yes, wining matters and we are ahead of them. It matters a great deal and will always keep us ahead if we win out (I think there is a lack of consideration given to the distance being kept between us by the bump we'll see when we defeat the team they lost to).

There are teams that have a very legit gripe with these rankings (Baylor and Minnesota come to mind), but I don't much think being ranked behind the current top 4 (at this stage of the game) gives us much cause for complaint (again, at this point). No team with a loss is ahead of us, and as long as it stays that way, we're golden.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UNC didn't have a one chance shot to win the game

Nov 7, 2019, 11:54 AM

They had to score and then had to keep us from scoring with about 1 minute remaining.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is true. I did overstate that point.***

Nov 7, 2019, 12:00 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That is true. I did overstate that point.***

Nov 7, 2019, 12:22 PM

Plus, we ended up with more points than UNC and Ga. didn't..

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Indeed, and I certainly pointed that out.

Nov 7, 2019, 12:24 PM

We won and winning matters. It's why we are ahead of UGA.

That's ridiculous.

Nov 7, 2019, 12:21 PM

Georgia is ahead of Utah, Oregon, and Oklahoma as the highest ranked 1 loss team because UGA has wins over #15 Notre Dame and #10 Florida. Utah, Oregon, and Oklahoma combined have 0 wins over the Top 25 teams.

Penn State has beaten #18 Iowa and #14 Michigan, so Clemson could have beaten UNC 71-20 and Penn State still deserves to be #4.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: That's ridiculous.

Nov 7, 2019, 12:24 PM

I don't think that Bama has any wins over top 25 teams either. But they're Bama. They could show up with 6 guys and a mule and they'd put them in...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well...in fairness...

Nov 7, 2019, 1:03 PM

Georgia rebounded by beating what many believe to be a pretty good Florida team.

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Well...in fairness...

Nov 7, 2019, 1:54 PM

And Iowa is rewarded along with the teams that have beaten them for 2 close losses: Penn St and Michigan! That is convoluted logic.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's clear...

Nov 7, 2019, 2:33 PM

the CFP didn't apply the same logic across the board to everyone.

Iowa lost to the only decent teams they've faced and will likely lose two more before the regular season ends.

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: We are penalized for close win vs UNC...

Nov 7, 2019, 2:13 PM

As a tiger, I am mad. When I try to be impartial, I see the point of the committee. If we are undefeated and left out, I will be irate. I see no way that happens. We need to quit playing junk games. Wofford should have been GSU or App State. We no longer can count on the coots beat downs to have any s.o.s. value.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2019, 2:13 PM

As a tiger, I am mad. When I try to be impartial, I see the point of the committee. If we are undefeated and left out, I will be irate. I see no way that happens. We need to quit playing junk games. Wofford should have been GSU or App State. We no longer can count on the coots beat downs to have any s.o.s. value.

Nov 7, 2019, 2:14 PM

You do have a firm grasp of the obvious.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic