Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Was planning on hitting up the Grand Canyon while heading to
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Was planning on hitting up the Grand Canyon while heading to

Jan 6, 2016, 4:59 PM

Phoenix from Las Vegas...

Looks like they will be getting pounded with snow and rain this whole week. I thought the desert was supposed to be dry? Might be that elevation thingy. Oh well. Makes my trip alot simpler. More vegas and more phoenix and less getting stuck in the icy ditch with a rental car.

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Snow at the Canyon

Jan 6, 2016, 5:06 PM

both times I've been there. The first time I couldn't even see the canyon due to clouds/fog. You could always check out Flagstaff and Sedona if you have time. Enjoy your trip!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Was planning on hitting up the Grand Canyon while heading to

Jan 6, 2016, 5:08 PM

Be careful... although the route between Vegas and Phoenix isn't quite as high as Flagstaff it's still pretty high south of the ### and dropping down into the Valley. I've got a friend in Flag and he's saying they're expecting snow thru the end of this week. Double and triple check the ADOT website for road conditions and plan your departure time accordingly.
Enjoy the Joshua Trees....

Jan 6, 2016, 5:28 PM

If the weather improves, definitely head to the Canyon. If not, Sedona is a great little town with great scenery all around.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was planning on the same thing. Have rooms reserved too.

Jan 6, 2016, 8:11 PM

May have to rethink that idea....

I was planning on the same thing. Have rooms reserved too.

Jan 6, 2016, 8:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Was planning on hitting up the Grand Canyon while heading to ]

May have to rethink that idea....

Re: I was planning on the same thing. Have rooms reserved too.

Jan 6, 2016, 8:20 PM

I live in Sedona and El Niño has given us a crazy winter. It snowed today and will snow again tomorrow. It is unseasonably cold. Sedonas elevation is 4500 and about 15 degrees colder than Phoenix. The other thing you need to know about The Grand Canyon during the winter is they close many of the routes looking at the Canyon during the winter. I recommend visiting Sedona, though...its just cold bc of El Niño. Have fun in AZ! I love it here!!

Re: I was planning on the same thing. Have rooms reserved too.

Jan 6, 2016, 9:42 PM

Check your T-mail

Lucky, Lucky you! Sedona is a beautiful area.

Jan 6, 2016, 10:34 PM [ in reply to Re: I was planning on the same thing. Have rooms reserved too. ]

Loved the red rocks. Plan to visit there again.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2016, 10:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Was planning on hitting up the Grand Canyon while heading to ]

I love Sedona! One of the most beautiful places I have ever been.

as mentioned above...Joshua Tree Nat Pk is only about 3&1/2

Jan 6, 2016, 5:30 PM

hours from Phoenix and is worth the trip.....if you go, say hello to the spirit of Gram Parsons.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Joshua Tree Nat Pk is free

Jan 6, 2016, 8:41 PM

Driving to PHX from Vegas. It's on that highway.

The Canyon is another hour or so diversion off I-40 at Kingman, AZ

Sorry folks, you need a week to do all that stuff....

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

We are in a rainy/snowy Ei Niño period here in Southwest...

Jan 6, 2016, 5:47 PM

Flagstaff & The Grand Canyon will be cold and snowy (probably). The Las Vegas Valley is about 2500'. Flagstaff and the Canyon are about 7000'. The most direct route to Phoenix is down US 93. That's the way I'll be driving on Friday. Go Tigers!

Don't pass up a chance for a hike here - in the Chiricahua

Jan 6, 2016, 5:51 PM

park -- south east AZ

Sedona is awesome, the canyon is awesome but if they are snowed in this place is SPECTACULAR.

http://www.nps.gov/chir/index.htm

null

I had a man who lives in Phoenix describe it this way

Jan 6, 2016, 5:53 PM

when you get to the Grand Canyon you say "WOW that's a really big hole in the ground" and then you go over here and you say "Wow that's a really big hole in the ground". And then you drive a little farther and you say "wow, that's still a really big hole in the ground"

unless you are doing something there, (donkey ride, rafting, photography, astronomy) they say it's kinda boring after the initial shock. There's a ton of beautiful country around there, I went to Meteor Crater (North-east of PHX) and Sedona (North of PHX) one weekend for hiking and touring. That may be an option too if you go that way to Phoenix.

Re: I had a man who lives in Phoenix describe it this way

Jan 6, 2016, 8:48 PM

I did the Meteor Crater 2 years ago. My thoughts...."Wow, that's a big hole in the ground!" ??

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with both sets of comments: BEST spot is SEDONA.

Jan 6, 2016, 9:47 PM

After seeing Sedona, the Grand Canyon was a letdown --- just a big hole in the ground.
I drove around that Crater Lake and it was boring.

Sedona was SPECTACULAR!!!

I lived in Phoenix for several years.

Prescott has a cool old cowboy bar.
The area around Jerome looks like the mountains of NC --- lots of pine trees.

It's a surprisingly big hole***

Jan 6, 2016, 10:26 PM [ in reply to Re: I had a man who lives in Phoenix describe it this way ]

Re: I had a man who lives in Phoenix describe it this way

Jan 6, 2016, 11:02 PM [ in reply to I had a man who lives in Phoenix describe it this way ]

How would you describe the crater?

A more interesting big hole in the ground

Jan 7, 2016, 11:01 AM

with a museum and an observation deck. It has more visual history and you can take hiking tours from the museum.

Jan 6, 2016, 7:16 PM

Real Death Valley. It won't snow there.

The Grand Canyon is overrated ... pictures do it justice.

Jan 6, 2016, 8:33 PM

You're ok missing it.

imo

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Grand Canyon is overrated ... pictures do it justice.

Jan 6, 2016, 8:49 PM

My entire family liked Zion better.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UUmm no, do not heed this advice

Jan 7, 2016, 12:27 AM [ in reply to The Grand Canyon is overrated ... pictures do it justice. ]

If you've never been to the Canyon, GO!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you are coming from Vegas...

Jan 6, 2016, 8:47 PM

You can hit the west rim pretty quick just take a left on diamond bar rd near Dolan springs and follow the signs. Thats where the glass bridge is also. West rim is pretty awesome

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drive down to Tombstone is a pretty neat day trip.

Jan 6, 2016, 9:12 PM

Going to Grand Canyon from Phoenix is an over-nighter, but Tombstone/Bisbee can be done in one day pretty easily.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

AZ can have high and low temp in USA on same day.

Jan 6, 2016, 9:30 PM

Grand Canyon can have the low and Gila Bend (near Phoenix) can have the high temp.

Better than Grand Canyon: Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon

Jan 6, 2016, 9:31 PM

On the way from Grand Canyon to Phoenix, you should definitely visit Sedona. The red rocks are Sedona are SPECTACULAR, especially during sunset or sunrise.

Around Phoenix, plan on hiking around Camelback Mountain.***

Jan 6, 2016, 9:34 PM

No love for Flagstaff?

Jan 6, 2016, 10:08 PM

I lived there in 94-95. I really loved the Arizona Snowbowl(downhill skiing) and the Flagstaff Nordic Center (cross country skiing).

Definitely go to the Grand Canyon if you can.

Jan 6, 2016, 10:14 PM

It is one of the most awe-inspiring places I have ever been. As long as the weather is not going to affect the roads or views there, GO!

Sedona is neat, but I found the Grand Canyon much more fascinating. Flagstaff is a neat town also.

Regardless, enjoy your trip and the scenery. And most importantly, go Tigers!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jan 6, 2016, 10:51 PM

The weather forecast is rarely accurate for the desert. Rains come in quickly and leave even quicker.

DO NOT skip the Canyon!

Jan 7, 2016, 12:26 AM

Delete a day of Vegas, Yes it's worth it, no you won't get stuck in a ditch. The roads are in great shape heading up there.

Tool around in Flagstaff some as well, some old Rt 66ish things there. AND be sure to take the 89A route down through Oak Creek Canyon from Flagstaff to Sedona. One of the top scenic routes in the country. After Sedona you can cruise pretty quick down the freeway to Phoenix.

If you saw the movie "Cars", the Sieligman exit off of I-40 is the one Lightening McQueen supposedly barrels down mistakenly. This is old Rt 66. "Peach Springs" is the real town on down the road. The town's name in the movie is "Radiator Springs".

Have a great trip!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I went there a few years ago. It is really impressive...

Jan 7, 2016, 2:42 PM

for about 5 minutes, then you realize the view never changes. That is, until I looked over the edge just as a squirrel was shooting up the side, dang near gave me a heart attack. There was a really good steakhouse in Williams, Arizona, Smokey's, I think was the name. Don't know if it is still there or not.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I used to work at the Grand Canyon.

Jan 7, 2016, 2:45 PM

Most of the snow would probably be on the north rim, the south rim is lower in elevation and more desert-like, so you would probably be alright there, and especially down in the canyon. However, if you drive south, Flagstaff has some mountains and some elevation and can get some good snows.

null

Its also worth stopping at Hoover ###...

Jan 7, 2016, 3:09 PM

Last February drove up from Phoenix through Sedona to the South Rim and then to Vegas. It's a long drive but something I will never forget. I would suggest doing the Hoover ### leaving Vegas and then hitting the Canyon South Rim on the way back. Hoover ### is a sight to see. Amazing to see how massive it is.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic