Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We Prepare to Return to Fort McPherson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 0
| visibility 952

We Prepare to Return to Fort McPherson

Sep 4, 2017, 7:03 PM

After our exciting adventure at Fort McPherson and being sworn in as Buck Privates in the United States Army, we returned by bus to Waycross. It was a somber and uneventful trip, and I suppose it was due to our realizing our lives would probably be changed forever. Arriving at the Draft Board office, we were welcomed home and issued additional orders. Fifteen days hence, those of us who had been accepted for military duty were ordered to report to the local train station early that morning. We would be returning to Fort McPherson on the Atlanta, Birmingham and Coast Railroad (AB&C RR). Private Joe 21 will be in charge during your return trip and anyone not reporting will be considered AWOL and subject to arrest by the Military Police.

When we heard we would be returning to Fort McPherson on the AB&C RR, a groan went through the crowd and I knew my task was not going to be as simple as I had once imagined. The AB&C RR was about the worst railroad in existence. Their passenger equipment was WW1 vintage and the tracks were not maintained at a level for safe speeds above 30 - 35 MPH. The railroad ran through the middle of numerous small towns between Waycross and Atlanta and stopped at every one. How was I, the youngest of the bunch, going to still have aLL of that motley crew still on the train when we arrived in Atlanta?

The day of departure arrived. I went by the Draft Board office to pick all of the paper work that was to be returned tp Fort McPherson. When I arrived at the train station there must have been 250 - 300 people there. Family members, friends and many locals were mingling with the men about to board the train. We had a private coach which was parked on a sidetrack. We were to be the last coach on the train.

I recognized a few of the men among the crowd so began checking off their names on my list. I entered the coach and the first ones I saw were the three moonshiners. They were drinking their breakfast and offered me a sample but did not partake of their hospitality. Much to my surprise, every man was present and accounted for. Several men were sitting in the coach visiting with family members and friends who were standing outside. This was before the days of air conditioning and every window was already open.

There was hugging and kissing and, yes, a lot of tears. I suspect there were also a few smiles, smiles of pride for a family member.

The train had now backed up and connected our coach. The Conductor signaled for all of us to get aboard and with final hugs and kisses all of the men boarded our private luxury coach. Everyone, except the moonshiners, gathered at the open windows to wave and say their last "goodbyes". The Engineer sounded a couple of loud toots from the coal burning locomotive and slowly we left family, friends, well wishes and Waycross behind.. Ware County was sending some of its finest off to war.

(The entire story I had planned to post was too long for one post. The next one will provide the exciting details of a slow train ride through Georgia and the origination of the two minute warning.)

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 0
| visibility 952
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic