Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We MUST stick with and SUPPORT Coach Brownell
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,196

We MUST stick with and SUPPORT Coach Brownell

Mar 1, 2015, 5:16 PM

The last two years' production is proof that he can coach. His Senior Day speeches shows his love for players that believe in his system and stay. He'll get better players. Winning will come, then the fans who can't live with the present situation will return and Littlejohn will be a tough ticket to get. Foster did it, Barnes did it. It can happen again with Coach Brownell

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He has a really expensive buyout so he has....

Mar 1, 2015, 5:28 PM

plenty of time to prove himself. My gut feeling is that he will have some really solid years coming up and he will be around for at least one more contract.

Administration and knowledgeable fans love Brownell

Mar 1, 2015, 5:53 PM

The rest of you can go back to messing with and bitching about football. Basketball is going to be just fine with Brownell. He is building a program. Next year is going to be tough because of all the travel. But just watch. He's going to get us where we want to go as a basketball program.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Administration and knowledgeable fans love Brownell

Mar 1, 2015, 5:59 PM

It's hilarious how some of you are already writing off next season and giving Brownell a pass just because we won't be on our home court (which isn't much of an advantage anyway).

I truly believe that Brownell would win big if he had better

Mar 1, 2015, 6:02 PM

players. Getting better players is just as much of his job as is teaching, developing, drawing up plays and game plans, however. He has to be held accountable for both.

The only question is: How long does he get to get those better players (and don't tell me he's getting them now - he flat out isn't); how long does he get to turn it around? Another year? 2, 3, 4, 10 more years? There has to be a timetable.

Then that begs the question: How well can he be expected to recruit given the basketball history, culture, and current facilities at Clemson?

Those are THE questions when evaluating Brownell, and I'm not sure of the answers. I think that recruiting at Clemson is currently a big challenge, and barring a total collapse next year, he gets at least one year in the new arena. Beyond that is ridiculous.

How do youse guise answer those two questions?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Good questions. I think most of us think that if he got

Mar 1, 2015, 7:14 PM

a couple of Oak Hill Academy guys for the next two years we would compete for an ACCC. If he had even OP type players we would be in that mix. Why we dont get them any more, I dont know. Whatever is selling Clemson to the football players is there for the basketall players, so one is free to draw his own conclusions.

Is it a different culture in basketball? Years ago the average sat score of a Duke basketball player was less than that of a Clemson football player, and i would think that gap hasnt closed any. So there might be different cultural desires in play. I have no way of knowing the answer to that, but while we might not want the Duke and NC type of player we are not getting the UVA type of player either. UVA was further down than us, and with less money, and now they are where they are. I dont know.

Maybe, financially, the risk/reward is not there for basketball. A few wins or losses in football can cause the attendance to ebb and flow by almost as much as the entire capacity of Littlejohn. At $75 for a football ticket, 10,000 more fans at 7 games can pay for whatever it takes to keep a guy. Does basketball have that potential?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if KJ stayed we would compete this yr***

Mar 1, 2015, 8:04 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As you stated in earlier post ...

Mar 1, 2015, 7:24 PM [ in reply to I truly believe that Brownell would win big if he had better ]

If I read it right, you believe we will better at point next year with a PG who can penetrate and dish. With better speed.

I 100% concur. With Blossomgame returning, the team should be marginally improving next year. 10-8 in conference.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To me it looks like Brownell HAS been steadily increasing

Mar 1, 2015, 8:05 PM [ in reply to I truly believe that Brownell would win big if he had better ]

the talent level through recruiting, it's just coming at smaller increments than many would like to see. A couple of tough breaks cost us a KJ senior season, and Blossomgame is a year behind because of injury, but I see a foundation of more competitive players coming together in a steady trajectory.

He's going to have at least two more seasons barring some type of colossal failure or mis-step regardless due to the contract structure, so that's the period that I think most people, whichever side of the fence you're on with him, are going to have to figure out how far he can really take us. We just don't know for sure yet.

Coach B isn't "rebuilding" a program. Face it, he's "building" a program. Periodic runs under Purnell, Barnes, Ellis, and Foster don't make a program. The administration made a decision to go a more fundamental route this time, focusing on a style of play that can be competitive with lesser talent, which is where we had to start, and excel as an overall talent level and depth increases, which may be a period we're entering into. With the contract extension and facility improvements, the commitment is there. If we can turn the corner on wins with this system, even better talent will follow.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said!

Mar 1, 2015, 8:12 PM

And all the more reason to keep showing the team support.

Re: We MUST stick with and SUPPORT Coach Brownell

Mar 1, 2015, 9:47 PM

> The last two years' production is proof that he can
> coach. His Senior Day speeches shows his love for
> players that believe in his system and stay. He'll
> get better players. Winning will come, then the fans
> who can't live with the present situation will return
> and Littlejohn will be a tough ticket to get. Foster
> did it, Barnes did it. It can happen again with
> Coach Brownell

Naaaah, not really. He's in his 6th year. He hasn't recruited a class in the top 50 in the last 5 years. I'm reminded of the same argument for Tommy Bowden. No matter how many we dropped "We must support Coach Bowden!" echoed across Lake Hartwell. We hung on the Tommy 4 years too long.

You can have your own opinion but you can't have your own facts.

Since 2010 Clemson BBall overall is 90-70 (.563)
In conference play we are 40-44 (.476)

"Next year will be different....." has lost it's credibility.

I think we have great basketball players but they're hampered by a poor coach.

Go Tigers!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please tell me how many of our players would start for

Mar 1, 2015, 10:57 PM

the upper echelon teams in her ACC. Heck, other than Blossomgame and Grantham, how many of our roster could even be on the team at those schools. I'll wait....

Please, you can criticize brownell for many things but not coaching kids up is definitely NOT one of them!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,196
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic