Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Gallman says hit was dirty, doesn't remember much after "going to sleep"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 97
| visibility 101

New Story: Gallman says hit was dirty, doesn't remember much after "going to sleep"

Oct 24, 2016, 11:47 AM

Gallman says hit was dirty, doesn't remember much after "going to sleep"

Clemson’s Wayne Gallman hopes to return to practice this week, and he hopes he’s cleared to play against Florida St. this Saturday. If he plays, he also hopes he remembers everything that happened.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2 wrongs don't...

Oct 24, 2016, 11:52 AM

Surprised to hear that last line

Re: 2 wrongs don't...

Oct 24, 2016, 11:58 AM

I sit six rows behind the opponents bench. If you heard the nc state defense bragging ABS laughing and dancing because they hurt WG, you'd have wanted someone to hurt him too. Worst I've ever seen or heard after hurting someone.

And backed up by their coach on his coach's show.

Oct 24, 2016, 11:59 AM

Disgusting.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Oct 24, 2016, 12:14 PM [ in reply to Re: 2 wrongs don't... ]

I was there too. It was #2 that was running his mouth... I was seeing red and all I could do to keep my mouth shut because my kids were with me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This hit should have been reviewed by the ACC officiating...

Oct 24, 2016, 12:28 PM [ in reply to Re: 2 wrongs don't... ]

...committee,

It was a BLATANT TARGETING!! BLATANT!

Gallman was intentionally targeted by that idiot, and I KNEW that those morons from NC State would be laughing about it on their sidelines. This is CR3P! I support Gallman's statement.

You want to take a cheap shot at your opponent? Then you had better watch your back, because what goes around, comes around.

I would not have any issue with a DOUBLE CRACK BACK BLOCK on Wright. He is a DIRTY PLAYER.

The ACC officiating crew that officiated that NC State game should be SUSPENDED for the REST OF THE SEASON!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Oct 24, 2016, 8:05 PM [ in reply to Re: 2 wrongs don't... ]

just listening to their friggin coach bragging about it makes me want to kick his rear end.....what a real bozo they have who is suppose to be a role model and leader for their players and he calls himself a coach....real easy to see why those guys play like thugs......Go Tigers!!!!

I'm guessing the coaches aren't going to be happy

Oct 24, 2016, 11:59 AM [ in reply to 2 wrongs don't... ]

with that last quote.

Oct 24, 2016, 12:00 PM [ in reply to 2 wrongs don't... ]

Yea but a wrong for a wrong = justice. I.e. Death penalty etc

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting to see many people reverting to more barbaric

Oct 24, 2016, 12:10 PM

perceptions of justice.

The idea that two wrongs don't make a right has done a lot to keep men civilized over the years. It seems that an angry passion, now normalized by a leading political figure, is coaxing many to eschew that basic moral tenant.

The idea that something "wrong" is "right" is irrational. It's either one or the other. But logic seems to be less and less important as the months go by.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well, someone has to do your dirty linen for you. Be

Oct 24, 2016, 12:14 PM

thankful that there is usually someone who will do those things.

Could you be specific? Who is doing wrong things on my

Oct 24, 2016, 12:16 PM

behalf?

There is a difference between doing hard and unpleasant things and doing wrong things.

We are definitely going off topic here but

Oct 24, 2016, 12:17 PM [ in reply to Interesting to see many people reverting to more barbaric ]

This pansy #### viewpoint is actually new to society. In fact what you refer to as barbaric is exactly what kept civilization intact not the opposite as you suggest. This experiment with simply locking up a murderer and releasing him in 15 years has served as no deterrent at all and even less for rapist. You can eat off the streets of Singapore where they cane you for littering and murder in Saudi Arabia is the lowest in the world, as is other crimes in that country. Do I advocate Sharia law, no but we as a society have lost the balance we had up until only a few decades ago.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

as are******

Oct 24, 2016, 12:19 PM

You skipped a couple of steps there.

Oct 24, 2016, 12:22 PM [ in reply to We are definitely going off topic here but ]

The post I was responding to said two "wrongs" equal justice. To me it sounds like you are saying crime should be punished more thoroughly for the good of society.

That's a different argument. You could easily make an argument that it was right to punish a murderer or rapist more than they are currently being punished.

But what we are seeing lately is people justifying clearly evil behavior just because it's us vs them. That type of behavior is a symptom of less civilization and less rational thought.

or it may be a symptom of perceived injustices everywhere

Oct 24, 2016, 12:25 PM

Building up and spilling over into football. Take it however you want I wish someone would have cleaned his clock

Re: or it may be a symptom of perceived injustices everywhere

Oct 24, 2016, 12:31 PM

It doesn't make sense for a person who is angry about injustice to want more injustice as a remedy. No clear-thinking person would think that "wrong" or "evil" or unfair behavior is appropriate an any situation. Justice is about fairness and making things right, not simple revenge or tribalism.

R@ping a family member of a rapist isn't justice. Murdering the child of a murderer isn't justice. It's injustice as retaliation.

If the NC State player didn't mean to hurt Gallman, which is possible, and we let a mob decide that it's proper to intentionally hurt the NC State player, then we have just witnessed a prime example of problems that lack of civilization brings.

I didn't suggest the entire team be knocked out or their families

Oct 24, 2016, 12:42 PM

Just #8 the wrong doer. All of these feelings could have been avoided had the refs called him for targeting and ejected him from the game. It also doesn't help that the coach is listing knocking out our tailback as an accomplishment either.

Wanting another player to get hit very hard is one thing

Oct 24, 2016, 12:50 PM

but hoping that a football player intentionally injures someone is awful.

I say let them box in the ring at the end of the year. I don't care about the violence. Violence is fine with me. It's the cheap-shot, dirty play mentality that should be beneath us. Hurt someone the clean way. Pancake him, truck him, burn him for a touchdown. Don't go for his knees like a coward.

Letting players decide when to take other players out of the game though? It would lead to chaos. A group of guys deciding on their own, without due deliberation whether or not other people deserve to get injured is not a good situation. Men need rules to function so that they can prosper and be happy. Especially when dealing with violence. I think we are forgetting that.

Re: or it may be a symptom of perceived injustices everywhere

Oct 24, 2016, 3:06 PM [ in reply to Re: or it may be a symptom of perceived injustices everywhere ]

Hold up, whether he meant it or not, he was plenty pleased and happy with himself when he saw the results of his actions!!!! Hang him from the highest tree dangit!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BTW, isn't the theory of nuclear MAD the EXACT equivalent...

Oct 24, 2016, 12:33 PM [ in reply to Interesting to see many people reverting to more barbaric ]

...of TWO WRONGS WILL MAKE IT RIGHT?

If your enemy knows that you firmly believe that TWO WRONGS DON'T MAKE A RIGHT, then your enemy would certainly feel emboldened to "first strike" you knowing you wouldn't do anything about it.

Your response?

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

MAD is a deterrent not a method of justice.

Oct 24, 2016, 12:35 PM

If Nuclear war was something that occurred often or was more likely, then MAD wouldn't be the doctrine.

In mathematical GAME THEORY, the result of an initial...

Oct 24, 2016, 12:44 PM

...decision that is in the best interests of players of the game, determine the equilibrium of the game, regardless of whether or not the initial decision is enacted.

The entire US nuclear arsenal is build upon a RETALIATORY strike based upon the presumption of a successful first strike by an enemy.

Bottom line...if Wright knew he was going to be cracked for his dirty hit at a later point in the game, he would have refrained from trying to take Gallman out.

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

International political theory and domestic justice are two

Oct 24, 2016, 12:52 PM

very different things, built around two very different goals.

One is to protect your way of life, the other is your way of life. People crave justice, stability and a way to make a living for themselves. Mob justice and retaliation is not the way to do that.

In order to secure your way of life, you have to be willing to do anything. But you don't ever want to sh*t where you eat. That degrades your way of life.

Re: BTW, isn't the theory of nuclear MAD the EXACT equivalent...

Oct 24, 2016, 3:12 PM [ in reply to BTW, isn't the theory of nuclear MAD the EXACT equivalent... ]

My exact response to that is very simple, empty the silos of everything we have to shoot back with to ensure they don't try that dumb sh!t again!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Read the study in logic 'The Prisoners Dilemma' and get back with me***

Oct 24, 2016, 1:14 PM [ in reply to Interesting to see many people reverting to more barbaric ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Read the study in logic 'The Prisoners Dilemma' and get back with me***

Oct 24, 2016, 1:37 PM

This type of post is so lame. Not making a single solitary point, just dropping the name of a book or an article and walking off.

Discover the importance of a thesis statement, then get back to me.

Oct 24, 2016, 2:08 PM

Ok, let's discuss then. I made one error and should have clarified the Iterative Prisoner's Dilemma. From which the second point in Axelrod's analysis:

""Retaliating
However, Axelrod contended, the successful strategy must not be a blind optimist. It must sometimes retaliate. An example of a non-retaliating strategy is Always Cooperate. This is a very bad choice, as "nasty" strategies will ruthlessly exploit such players.""

In the game of football, this is easily transposed and manifests as: if team B consistently plays dirty against team A, there must be a consequence whether by retaliation or otherwise by team A.
A football team can not be an Always Cooperate if it expects to win (or at least avoid major injury).

Oct 24, 2016, 7:25 PM

An example of a non-retaliating strategy is Always Cooperate. This is a very bad choice, as "nasty" strategies will ruthlessly exploit such players.

That is the exact opposite of the truth for football. Retaliation gets penalized more than the initial act. Nearly always. Retaliation costs wins. Not retaliating, and instead focusing anger towards winning, is always superior.

Anyone who watches football should easily see that.

Teams that consistently play dirty should be dealt with by the refs or the league and sanctioned accordingly. Your theory isn't designed for or compatible with football. Football isn't anarchical like international relations.

And you know Dabo would say your post was not only wrong but ridiculous.

Re: Interesting to see many people reverting to more barbaric

Oct 24, 2016, 2:27 PM [ in reply to Interesting to see many people reverting to more barbaric ]

"...by a leading political figure..."

If you wanted "fairness" you would have written: "...by leading political figures..."

Pls follow your own advice.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I dislike both of the leading candidates but...

Oct 24, 2016, 7:20 PM

Donald Trump clearly represents the angry barbarian ticket.

Hillary represents the brainwashed PC sheep ticket.

Re: Not me. I would like for him to get a pay back in

Oct 24, 2016, 12:00 PM [ in reply to 2 wrongs don't... ]

someway. Revenge is best served on a cold platter.

Re: Not me. I would like for him to get a pay back in

Oct 24, 2016, 3:30 PM

99.9% of people that don't retaliate after they have been punched in the face, is bc they fear getting punched back a second time. But if they don't fight back with every breath they have, the next time will be easier for that person or another person to punch you in the face bc they know you're not going to defend yourself. Others can call it whatever makes them feel good, I call it saving your A$S by nipping it in the bud right then and there!!!

Oct 24, 2016, 12:07 PM [ in reply to 2 wrongs don't... ]

#8 for N.C. State, Drevious Wright, was the same player who hit Hunter Renfrow head first in 2014 which caused the play by play guys to go back and forth about what is targeting and what is defenseless, etc. #8 also had a questionable head first hit in the Louisville game. Someone needs to speak with this guy before he hurts someone or himself badly with these head first hits.

INTERESTING...a pattern of behavior...who would have...

Oct 24, 2016, 12:37 PM

...have guessed?

BTW...this kind of pattern is a tolerance on the part of the head coach and coaching staff. Just remember this folks when you start singing any praise of Dave Doeren and that NCSU football coaching staff.

IF a player knew that his targeting calls were subject to POST-game review, EVEN BEYOND the next game played, then this would also put a different spin on the targeting behavior.

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Hey Drevious...

Oct 24, 2016, 1:12 PM [ in reply to Re: 2 wrongs don't... ]

...Karma is a painful b@%$@, and she's bringing her sisters Pain and Suffering.

Human nature man. If somebody did that to me I'd want to

Oct 24, 2016, 12:55 PM [ in reply to 2 wrongs don't... ]

knock them the F out too. And i like to think of myself as a really laid back and rational person.

I loved it! An eye for an eye.***

Oct 24, 2016, 12:58 PM [ in reply to 2 wrongs don't... ]

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 24, 2016, 2:26 PM [ in reply to 2 wrongs don't... ]

An eye for an eye...
I read that somewhere. Seems like I read it in a book that was written a long, long time ago.

Oct 24, 2016, 4:40 PM [ in reply to 2 wrongs don't... ]

I agree that 2 wrongs don't make a right. But, you can't blame Wayne for feeling that way, especially when the refs didn't even throw a flag on such a flagrant foul!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 24, 2016, 7:09 PM [ in reply to 2 wrongs don't... ]

Apparently you are no Warrior GET SOME WAYNE TRAIN GET SOME!

Re: New Story: Gallman says hit was dirty, doesn't remember much after "going to sleep"

Oct 24, 2016, 12:05 PM

That's not wrong it's payback

Re: New Story: Gallman says hit was dirty, doesn't remember much after "going to sleep"

Oct 24, 2016, 12:11 PM

Exactly...I agree to wrongs don't make a right, but this is how it works in sports. Think about baseball, if a pitcher hits someone then the opposing pitcher is most likely going to retaliate...no different in football. And while it sounds harsh what WG said, it's how things are dealt with on a football field. And unfortunately since the refs didn't do right by the call and eject him, someone on our side should've cleaned the dudes clock.

Glad to get him back. Could have done w/o that last quote.

Oct 24, 2016, 12:06 PM

Just like I defend Boulware against overly judgy remarks, I don't like to see people assume hits are dirty just because they are helmet to helmet, especially on a running back who is rapidly changing direction and posture. The hit on Gallman isn't close to the level of what Fairley did to Kyle Parker or what Suh does in the NFL every so often.

I think its a better policy to leave accusations like that to the coaching staff through the proper channels.

Re: Glad to get him back. Could have done w/o that last quote.

Oct 24, 2016, 12:23 PM

Indeed. The only reason it was a helmet to helmet hit was because Gallman ducked his head and lead with his head at the last moment.

Was just an unfortunate play and nothing was dirty about it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Oct 24, 2016, 12:30 PM

It doesn't matter that WG dipped his head at the last moment, #8 lead with his head not with his hands. #8 was looking to hurt somebody.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 24, 2016, 12:43 PM

It does matter. Otherwise a RB could just seek out helmets and get a targeting call every play.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not really

Oct 24, 2016, 12:46 PM

Not if defenders weren't tackling with their head down and leading with the crown of the helmet.

Which is, in part, the reason for targeting penalties.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Won't call it dirty

Oct 24, 2016, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Glad to get him back. Could have done w/o that last quote. ]

But it was, by rule, illegal.

We've been over this and disagree, so be it.

However, tackling that way is destined to lead to injuries. Both for him and others. He made zero attempt to tackle the RB, and instead tried to lay him out using only the top of his helmet. That's bad bad form and shouldn't be celebrated by their coach.

It doesn't have to be intentionally dirty to be wrong.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Won't call it dirty

Oct 24, 2016, 12:38 PM

Thom you're completely misrepresenting what happened. If Gallman doesn't duck his head the defenders helmet doesn't even touch Gallman. Gallman gets a shoulder into the chest.

If you can't see that/refuse to accept that fact it's no wonder you don't understand why the penalty wasn't called.

No, I am not

The defenders arms are to his side he was not making a tackle (or if he was, he certainly wasn't in the correct position).

I do think it is important to note that this isn't one of those head on situations that occur where a ball carrier and defender collide during the tackle and the RB's helmet is lowered to make contact. The rule, IMO, should be rewritten to exclude those, because as it is written even those would apply.

In this case the defender was coming in from the side with his arms down, and his helmet forward. It was precisely the sort of form that targeting and spearing rules are intended to stop. The simple rule is don't tackle with your helmet, and he did.

You saw it. You can argue it wasn't intentional and I may well agree with you. But it was wrong, it was poor form, and it led to a direct helmet to helmet collision.

Again, I know you and I disagree with it being called targeting. But I can't imagine you really think it was good tackling form and should be considered the right way to try and tackle.

Re: No, I am not

Oct 24, 2016, 1:02 PM

Good tackling? No

Legal tackle? Absolutely.

Classof09

Oct 24, 2016, 12:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Won't call it dirty ]

You don't seem to get the idea..... He (#8) lead with the crown of his HELMET. If he wasn't looking to hurt someone he would have lead with his arms/hands to tackle WG.
But I get it you are a typical delusional coot. Also if this had happened to a USuCk player you would have a different point of view.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Classof09

Oct 24, 2016, 1:04 PM

He was leading with his shoulder.

So you're saying if his hands were extended forward you would be ok with the hit?

You're either blind, an idiot, or both.....

Oct 24, 2016, 1:11 PM

The replay clearly shows the defender leading with the crown of his helmet which by rule is illegal.

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: You're either blind, an idiot, or both.....

Oct 24, 2016, 1:15 PM

It's clear you don't understand what's going on in the video.

Fortunately the ACC and myself are a little more knowledgeable.

LOL...more knowledgeable....lol

Oct 24, 2016, 1:55 PM

Maybe about womens basketball.

Re: You're either blind, an idiot, or both.....

Oct 24, 2016, 5:40 PM [ in reply to You're either blind, an idiot, or both..... ]

I'm going with both

Re: Classof09

Oct 24, 2016, 1:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Classof09 ]

IF he led with his hands then this would be different. BUT he led with the crown of his helmet. I think it is more spearing than targeting since WG dropped his head but that it is an ILLEGAL hit.

INTENT?

Oct 24, 2016, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Classof09 ]

So tackling by the facemask when a player was reaching for a jersey and the player ducks his head shouldn't be a penalty in your world?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: INTENT?

Oct 24, 2016, 1:33 PM

Those rules are written differently. So no, the same standards do not apply.

HTH

Disagree on this one. While i don't think the defender

Oct 24, 2016, 12:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Won't call it dirty ]

intended to hit Gallman in the head, i do think he led intentionally with his helmet and made no effort whatsoever to use his arms. It looks to me on replay like he was trying to use the crown of his helmet to dislodge the ball. Turns out that's exactly what happened, but only because he KOd Gallman and the ball fell out of his limp arms afterwards.

I won't go so far as to say the hit was "dirty," but it was an illegal and dangerous hit and those type of hits lead to injuries like this - whether intentional or not.

INTENT?

Oct 24, 2016, 1:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Won't call it dirty ]

Intent or intentional is rarely used in the playbook.

Are facemask penalties intentional?

Are pass interference penalties intentional?

Are roughing the kicker penalties intentional?

Are clipping, blocks in the back, offsides, illegal motion, chop blocking penalties intentional?

Maybe your Gamecocks are intentional?

null

Uhhhh....no !!!!

Oct 24, 2016, 12:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Glad to get him back. Could have done w/o that last quote. ]

The NC State defender hit WG in the ear hole with the crown of his helmet. It was a classic case of spearing, it was entirely intentional, and should have been a 15 yard penalty and an automatic ejection.

Re: Uhhhh....no !!!!

Oct 24, 2016, 1:06 PM

Gallman himself stated the ACC office confirmed it wasn't targeting.

It's amazing you guys are still trying to argue a defeated argument.

I never said it was targeting....

Oct 24, 2016, 1:09 PM

I said it was spearing and it was.

Re: I never said it was targeting....

Oct 24, 2016, 1:14 PM

lol no.

09, I'm fine with you disagreeing, but I watched

Oct 24, 2016, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Uhhhh....no !!!! ]

the hit. I don't care what the head office says, that hit could be used in a course called "Proper Targeting Technique." It was textbook regardless of what you or the ACC say. I know you disagree and that's fine.

null

Where is the word Intentional?

Oct 24, 2016, 1:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Glad to get him back. Could have done w/o that last quote. ]

Intent has very little to do with most penalties.

Most players don't mean to grab the facemask or interfere or be offsides or chop block.

null

Re: Where is the word Intentional?

Oct 24, 2016, 1:16 PM

Intent is specified in the targeting definition.

Wrong***

Oct 24, 2016, 1:34 PM

null

crapola chickenboy....

Oct 24, 2016, 1:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Glad to get him back. Could have done w/o that last quote. ]

the NCSt player freakin' LED with the crown of his helmet!!! If there is incidental contact helmet-to-helmet during a tackle, there is no penalty nor should one be assessed....but this is different....the defensive player led by practically diving headfirst into the runner!!! No call was made and unfortunately no protest filed by Clemson (as of yet) but how statements by the NCSt head coach and assorted wuffie players haven't convinced you they targeted Galman to injure him and get him out of the game only serves to heighten the garnet&black view with which you see the world---and thats not to metio Galman's own words................Do us all a favor and just shut tfu about this issue.

I trust, despite Coach Swinney's ethical Christian approach to living, someone will take it upon themselves to even the score on that same wolfpack player when the Tigers venture to Raleigh next season

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The absolute only reason you are arguing this is because it

Oct 24, 2016, 2:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Glad to get him back. Could have done w/o that last quote. ]

was a Clemson player that got hit, you worthless turd.

Dirty? I dunno. Against the rules? Yes.***

Oct 24, 2016, 5:56 PM [ in reply to Glad to get him back. Could have done w/o that last quote. ]

ESPN already has an article up with last quote as headline....

Oct 24, 2016, 12:10 PM

Love the Wayne train....from the last quote he should refrain

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17874518/clemson-tigers-rb-wayne-gallman-concussion-says-play-florida-state-seminoles

The coaching staff turned the tape into the officiating...

Oct 24, 2016, 12:58 PM

...committee, and they determined that it was NOT targeting?

If this cr3p doesn't tell you the bias against Clemson football, then I don't know what does?

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

The coaching staff turned the tape into the officiating...

Oct 24, 2016, 12:59 PM [ in reply to ESPN already has an article up with last quote as headline.... ]

...committee, and they determined that it was NOT targeting?

If this cr3p doesn't tell you the bias against Clemson football, then I don't know what does?

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

I understand where Gallman is coming from

Oct 24, 2016, 12:17 PM

but if the refs just do their jobs and remove the perpetrator from the game then nobody feels the need for retribution.

It was a dirty, and if that was not targeting then they should take the rule out of

Oct 24, 2016, 12:28 PM

college football. I can see how the refs on the field may have missed it, but there is no excuse for the replay officials. That dirty targeting hit could have ended Wayne Gallman's football career.

IMO it was NC States plan to find a way to get WG out of the game. I have not seen next years schefule but if we play them I hope we pound them with some of hardest hits by a Tiger. I am not advocating any dirty play. If I am Dabo I would show the hit on WG every day. I hope we play them next year and I hope we beat them by 70 plus points. I do not want anyone to get injured but I want NC State to remember the day they played Clemson in 2017.

Go Tigers!

Message was edited by: wueagle86®

Re: It was a dirty, and if that was not targeting then they should take the rule out of

NC State is in our division. We have always, and will always play NC State every year unless they switch up the divisions.

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

It was definitely dirty and definitely a 15 yard penalty.

Oct 24, 2016, 12:32 PM

I'm still not sure if it was targeting or not, but it was spearing:

What is spearing?

"A penalty called when a defensive player makes a tackle that leads with the crown of his helmet into the offensive player. If the initial contact occurs at the top of the helmet, the tackle is illegal. Spearing is a 15-yard penalty against the defense and an automatic first down. The penalty is considered a player safety issue, as hits that lead with the top of the helmet often result in injuries."

This rule has been around forever but for some reason is never enforced. I guess enforcing old rules isn't as good of PR as making up new rules (targeting) and calling them any time someone breathes on a quarterback.

I can't see how targeting doesn't apply

Oct 24, 2016, 12:36 PM

It meets 2 necessary criteria:

1) Forcible contact to the head/neck area

and

2) Forcible contact by the crown of the helmet

Our RB ducking doesn't change those facts, and while you are right that spearing also applies, there is no ability by the replay official to review for spearing (I dont think), but targeting is certainly reviewable.

I think you're technically correct but the way I understand

it, targeting relies on the area of the player that the defender hits, whereas spearing just relies on the positioning of the defender himself. So the refs can always say "well he wasn't trying to hit his head" whereas with spearing, who cares, the defender put his head down and didn't see the target, so that's a penalty.

Sure, spearing should apply

Oct 24, 2016, 12:45 PM

The rules for targeting may need to be rewritten, but as they are now there is no "It's OK to hit them in the helmet if you were intending to hit them elsewhere" caveat.

I would like to see Dabo respond to NC state's coachs

Oct 24, 2016, 12:56 PM

"accomplishment"!
some things are worth fighting for. Dabo needs to stand up to the ####.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also, Dabo could have stood up against the hit immediatley!

Oct 24, 2016, 1:05 PM

Possibly, he is dealing with it out of media spotlight! However, it is not fair that the victim had to bring it up himself!

Re: The entire "wolfpup" team

Oct 24, 2016, 1:00 PM

was knocked out by "looneyville" team last Saturday. Much more embarrassing.

Why Dabo did not stand up for Gallman first, so he did not

Oct 24, 2016, 1:02 PM

have to address it this late in week? Especially after NC State coach stated last Tues. he was part of game plan to take Gallman out! Now DAbo will have to step in an clean up Gallman's revenge hopes!

Dabo is not allowed to speak publicly about

Oct 24, 2016, 1:11 PM

calls or lack of calls by the officials. I am pretty sure he had a few words with them directly as Wayne was being taken off the field.

"not allowed", now he is going to have to publicly try to

Oct 24, 2016, 1:45 PM

clean up Gallman's unfortunate "revenge" remark. Who does not "allow"?

Oct 24, 2016, 1:06 PM

Count me as another one who really loves watch Gallman play, seems to be a great team player but disappointed in his comment.

Oct 24, 2016, 2:22 PM

Will he play this weekend? Or is it a judgement call later this week?

Regarding the last line...

Oct 24, 2016, 2:23 PM

Wanting revenge and actually carrying out the revenge are totally different.
I think the majority of people would have this same feeling of wanting revenge on someone that has hurt you.
All that being said if Wayne would have been able to come back in the game, I don't think he would have been looking to actually hurt Wright physically. Right and wrong would have taken over.
I think he would have hurt him by laying down 150 yards and 3 TD's.

2017_nascar_champ.gif2018_nascar_champ.gif2019_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 24, 2016, 2:49 PM

I like the fight that Wayne is showing and he needs to bottle it up and take it out on FSU. That said, I don't blame him for what he said and I would be feeling the same way if I felt like someone was trying to hurt me intentionally. Go Wayne Train and run over the rest of the ACC!

Oct 24, 2016, 5:11 PM

I am guessing that all of y'all that are upset with Waynes comments have never played a contact sport at a high level. His comments show he has got a mean streak in him. If somebody did that to one of my teammates they paid for it. Just saying...

Wayne has every right to be angry and say what he feels...

Oct 24, 2016, 5:38 PM

Football is a violent and "nasty" sport. I think if many of you heard what is said on the field and in locker rooms you might have second thoughts about this sport in general. With that said like anything else it's his opinion on a an action that could potentially affect him long term. None of us have a right to tell this young man how to respond when someone could have seriously injured and or killed him. Unconsciousness is no joke and he has right to be angry!

did y'all see where the league reviewed and said no targetin

Oct 24, 2016, 7:26 PM

Targeting??????? Are u kidding me! What garbage!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sorry you got your bell rung Wayne but the hit was clean.***

Oct 24, 2016, 9:00 PM

nm

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

::::: Losers practice until they get it right. Winners practice until they can't get it wrong. :::::

Replies: 97
| visibility 101
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic