Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Watkins vs Clowney in NFL Draft
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Watkins vs Clowney in NFL Draft

May 7, 2014, 4:55 PM

I think it's funny that many USC fans believe if Clowney gets drafted higher than Watkins it means that he is (or is going to be) a better player in the NFL. While I don't really care much for pro football; I've seen bunches of 'experts' criticizing everything FB related about Clowney & his skillset and character. Sammy has been the standard that they are measuring every other receiver to. YES, #2 does have an asterick by his name for his arrest, but the difference is that he learned his lesson & redeemed himself without any more incidences.

In 5 years, there's no doubt who will be the star getting the rings & payday of a true champion...Good Luck Sammy!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Watkins vs Clowney in NFL Draft

May 7, 2014, 5:11 PM

All can is he better not go to Oakland, because a good Oakland team ain't gonna happen.

^The one coot statement I agree with

May 7, 2014, 5:19 PM

If sammy goes to Oakland I will be extremely upset. I would love for the Rams to take him! He would kill it with a decent QB in Bradford and him and Tavon Austin would be deadly

May 7, 2014, 6:09 PM

Clowney will be getting rings in 5 years as well. Onion Rings for me at McDonalds.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 7, 2014, 7:34 PM

How long before the clown will have spent every dime of his signing bonus.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 7, 2014, 7:50 PM

I would imagine there will be very little discipline shown in his spending, and in the end, he will be just another broke ex-NFL player who blew his greatest opportunity to date. Kind of funny how his supposed injuries that hampered him so last season haven't been mentioned. (At least I don't remember seeing anything on it)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He had surgery didn't he?***

May 7, 2014, 7:54 PM

Yeah, I think he had a foot which caused some pain...

May 7, 2014, 8:01 PM

Poor guy. He had a right to not practice and loaf 90% of the time on the field. Good point, ####.

It was a simple question. Nice smarta$$ answer.

May 7, 2014, 8:08 PM

Ironic considering how much time people here spend talking about "classiness."

Tell 'em coot.***

May 7, 2014, 8:12 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Sorry if you calling you..

May 8, 2014, 6:16 PM [ in reply to It was a simple question. Nice smarta$$ answer. ]

...a #### (short for gamecock) hurts your feelings, or if you perceive it as being not classy, but if it helps you deal with being a ####, then more power to you, ####.

The Clown put off his foot surgery for the NFL combine

May 7, 2014, 8:06 PM [ in reply to He had surgery didn't he?*** ]

and there's nothing new on the subject since then. Some injury.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He had surgery didn't he?***

May 8, 2014, 9:50 PM [ in reply to He had surgery didn't he?*** ]

I don't remember any, but I don't follow him much. It could have happened.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't understand the topic

May 7, 2014, 8:11 PM

Most fans in general understand that pecking order in the draft does not equal better NFL player. Even they (Usuc fans) do, so I'm not sure I agree with your post. Clowney is projected to go first because the team with the #1 pick needs a DE. Nevertheless ... once they are in the draft I pull for all players from the state of South Carolina. We are representing well this year. Looking forward to tomorrow night.

Both of them are going to make an immediate impact in the NFL.

If Houston needed a WR

May 7, 2014, 8:12 PM

Sammy would be in the conversation for #1.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

^^^ Yes. ^^^***

May 7, 2014, 8:18 PM

Re: If Houston needed a WR

May 7, 2014, 9:52 PM [ in reply to If Houston needed a WR ]

I have heard it said time and time again that Clowney is a once in 20 year player. I have not heard that about Sammy. Houston will take Clowney because he is heads and shoulders above any talent that is available. That is a fact that has been repeated over and over again by 99% of the NFL people....sorry if that bothers you but its true.

May 8, 2014, 12:30 AM

That's not true. You're full of chit.

To say that "99% of NFL people have said that Clowney is a once in a 20 year player" is probably the most moronic, disingenuous thing you've ever said here. And that's really saying something. Do you even read, bro? There have been doubts about Clowney's ability from the get go. The only unanimous claim is that he's a great athlete for a defensive end.

Julius Peppers. Jevon Kearse. Demarcus Ware. Dwight Freeney. Those are what real "once in every 20 year players" look like. That's 4 off the top of my head in the last 15 years who were every bit as athletic but actually produced for 3+ years.

Furthermore, I've heard similar things said about Sammy contrary to your idiotic claim.

In other words, you're still stupid. And what you just said solidified that fact even more.

May 8, 2014, 12:45 AM

> That's not true. You're full of chit.
>
> To say that "99% of NFL people have said that Clowney
> is a once in a 20 year player" is probably the most
> moronic, disingenuous thing you've ever said here.
> And that's really saying something. Do you even read,
> bro? There have been doubts about Clowney's ability
> from the get go. The only unanimous claim is that
> he's a great athlete for a defensive end.
>
> Julius Peppers. Jevon Kearse. Demarcus Ware. Dwight
> Freeney. Those are what real "once in every 20 year
> players" look like. That's 4 off the top of my head
> in the last 15 years who were every bit as athletic
> but actually produced for 3+ years.
>
> Furthermore, I've heard similar things said about
> Sammy contrary to your idiotic claim.
>
> In other words, you're still stupid. And what you
> just said solidified that fact even more.

You could have disagreed without being an as5. Don't get why so many on this board feel the need to speak to others like that, do you do this to people in

May 8, 2014, 12:51 AM

Whoops - accidentally hit post on the I-phone.

Anyway, hopefully you don't speak to people like that in person.

Regarding, Clowney, it's not looking like he's going #1 unless Houston trades the pick.....he is not a need in their 3-4 defense. Atlanta wants him bad but they may not have enough to offer to get any higher than trading up to #4. Most reasonable scenario I heard recently was Mack to Houston, the Auburn OL next, then Sammy to Jacksonville and Clowney 4th to Atlanta.

May 8, 2014, 12:53 AM

I actually do speak to idiots like that in person. It's the only thing they respond to. Sorry about your butthurt by proxy.

May 8, 2014, 7:30 AM

No you wouldn't...trust me....you wouldn't...internet courage only works on the internet. It's always different face to face....but that's another story.

May 8, 2014, 10:14 AM

Lol. You are from Monroe. I reckon I would be dumb to mess with that kind of Neanderthal.

May 8, 2014, 9:39 AM [ in reply to Re: If Houston needed a WR ]

He replied to a smartA$$ and there is only one way to reply to a smartA$$

May 8, 2014, 8:03 AM [ in reply to Re: If Houston needed a WR ]

Actually, he's right. There have been several analysts that have said he's a once in a generation type player.

May 8, 2014, 10:18 AM

Are you stupid too? He said "99%"?

Your inability to read is not my problem.

You are obviously not listening.***

May 8, 2014, 5:53 AM [ in reply to Re: If Houston needed a WR ]

And I'm pretty sure it doesn't bother anyone here if Clown goes to Houston. They suck and they will continue to suck.

May 7, 2014, 8:18 PM

It has no relevance on how they will be as professionals or even how they were as college players. Clowney is by far the best DE in the draft and Sammy is by far the best WR, it just comes down to team needs. I think both teams will end up on pretty horrible teams next season, but that's what happens when you're a high draft pick. I think both will have good NFL careers though.

May 7, 2014, 8:27 PM

It will be very interesting to see how Clowney fares against professional tackles. It seems to me that when he played against good ones he didn't do a whole lot. I don't remember Sammy EVER getting shut down by DBs.

May 7, 2014, 9:14 PM

> It will be very interesting to see how Clowney fares
> against professional tackles. It seems to me that
> when he played against good ones he didn't do a whole
> lot. I don't remember Sammy EVER getting shut down
> by DBs.

Ever? '14 vs USC 7 rec for 93 yds. 13' vs USC 4 rec for 37 yds. 12' vs USC 4 rec for 39 yds. Zero td's in three years.

In his career against VT, three games, he averaged 5.3 catches for 67 yards and just 1 TD.

I think Sammy was a great player for Clemson and will have a great NFL career, but dont kid yourself with the Ever type comments.

May 8, 2014, 9:42 AM

You took to games out of how many???

The clown made one hit in a minor bowl game that made him.

He was off sides,unblocked and speared.

May 7, 2014, 9:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Watkins vs Clowney in NFL Draft ]

Main difference, sammy is the best offensive player in this draft even better than the qb's but even if clown boy is the best de he isn't the best defensive player. Khalil mack is.

Houston needs a WR more than a DE

May 7, 2014, 9:02 PM

But no way can they pass on such a talent. Sammy is one of the best players in the draft too. Be sure to watch JD on the Jimmy Fallon Show tonight.

Uhh what? The have Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins***

May 7, 2014, 10:29 PM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: Uhh what? The have Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins***

May 7, 2014, 11:10 PM

Yes, AJ is amazing and Nuke is a stud as well. Adding Sammy would make a strong WR set even stronger. But the only reason there has been any discussion as to whether Clowney will be number one is b/c Houston literally doesn't have a proper position ready for him. They run a 3-4 defense with J. Watt on one end. A DE's impact is exponentially diminished in a 3-4 set. Clowney is no LB, but they may put him there...it doesn't look like they know where to put him yet. Despite the fact they aren't sure how to fully utilize him, Houston is still going to take him at #1; because you CAN'T pass on a player of this caliber.

If I were Houston I would trade out of that pick.

May 7, 2014, 11:34 PM

Khalil Mack is a much better fit for them.

Re: Houston needs a WR more than a DE

May 8, 2014, 10:25 AM [ in reply to Houston needs a WR more than a DE ]

Yes - that's right. That's what all of the analysts have been saying. It's been all over the sports news. Houston needs a WR. Wait ... nope ... haven't heard that from anyone. Maybe you mixed up your letters and you meant to type QB.

May 7, 2014, 9:25 PM

Ya know, I'm a big nfl fan and keep up with the draft every year. Almost always when a player has an arrest during his tenure at college, his character his questioned during the pre-draft.

I have not seen that with Sammy Watkins. It really does say something about Clemson University, Dabo and Sammy. His character has been a non-issue because of the way Clemson and Dabo handled his arrest. They made him be accountable for his wrongdoings, and for that he is a better man.

Good for Clemson.
Good for Dabo.
And most importantly, good for Sammy.

May 7, 2014, 10:27 PM

Sammy may be the standard for hisbposition but there is no DE like Clowney in the draft. There are some good players but no one eith the upsidr like Clowney. Comparing dammy and JD is apples to oranges. People hate on clowney but the reality is yall would have died to have him on ur roster after watching him terrorize boyd.

Is that dammy right?***

May 7, 2014, 10:31 PM

May 8, 2014, 12:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Watkins vs Clowney in NFL Draft ]

Yeah, that grand total of one game that he terrorized Boyd sure makes me change my opinion about him living on his HS hype.

May 8, 2014, 8:06 AM

He sacked TB 7 times in 3 years. ??

May 8, 2014, 8:38 AM

FWIW, Veteran NFL analyst Mike Dettiler said Clowney and Bruce Smith were his highest rated players in the last 27 years.

May 8, 2014, 10:35 AM

The unfortunate thing about Clowney is he is a ###### if you do ###### if you don't kind of player. If Houston passes on him and he decides to turn his work ethic around and focus he may well be one of the best DE's to ever play, like him or not the guy is a athletic freak, and the Texans look like idiots. If they pick him and he mimics this year's production and intensity level you have wasted the first round pick in the draft and everybody will be saying told you he was lazy. I still think they may make a last minute trade to get out of the number one spot but if not they will take Clowney.

That being said, Sammy is a true number one talent and a can't miss and whoever takes him will gain a great player. Yes he had one incident here at Clemson, but who hasn't done similar things in college or as a 19yr old kid, he was just unfortunate to get caught. But he was smart, straightened up, and didn't let it become a trend. Clowney may get drafted higher but in 10yrs Sammy will be the one that came out on top.

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic