Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wathching this Shaka Smart coached VCU team..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 3,166

Wathching this Shaka Smart coached VCU team..

Mar 10, 2013, 12:47 PM

and I can't help but thinking how much I love the constant press/trap style that they play. The same one we played under OP. I'm no basketball coach or whiz, but it was a hell of a lot more entertaining to watch, it equalized the teams we couldn't/can't match up against in the ACC, and was attractive to recruits. As the years passed, the qulaity of recruits was better.

I'm not dumpin on BB, but I do miss the OP days. And for those who say he left the cupboard bare, I heard that with Barnes too. Some coaches are just better than others. Nothing wrong with acknowledging that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

The style can leads to blowouts on good days

Mar 10, 2013, 12:55 PM

VCU throttled Butler a week ago.
while on a Brownell good day it's still close and sometimes we even lose those.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Purnell lost a lot too

Mar 10, 2013, 1:07 PM

Brownell's style of play is better; our problems stem purely from a lack of TALENT.

Good teams would beat Purnell nearly every time. That's why he is hopeless in the NCAA tournament. Purnell was at the end of his rope in his last season at Clemson and he knew it. Brownell is a better coach, but he hasn't been able to recruit comparable talent to what Purnell had. Why that is the case is open to debate. He sure ain't lighting it up at Depaul. He'll be done there before too long. He is a mediocre head coach at best. In fact, he sucks.

I hope Brownell can recruit some better talent here to Clemson in the next few years, because we aren't going to get a better X's and O's coach to come here.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Purnell said it was hard to get a white kid to come

Mar 10, 2013, 1:09 PM

to Clemson,

Then he didn't try very hard...

Mar 10, 2013, 1:17 PM

Rick Barnes didn't have much trouble recruiting them.

Re: Then he didn't try very hard...

Mar 10, 2013, 2:36 PM

Uh oh....the white guy thread again. Don't see this ending well

Re: Wathching this Shaka Smart coached VCU team..

Mar 10, 2013, 12:59 PM

Are you impressed with OP's last recruiting season at Clemson? We have ZERO juniors that will become seniors next year. That specific class of trgeted HS recruits must not have been too impressed with OP's style.

Shaka has taken OP's schemes and improved on them including playing straight up man-to-man.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I truly don't know anything about it. Did people transfer

Mar 10, 2013, 2:22 PM

out when he left? Did we lose commits when OP left? I honestly don't know. I just know that we were always competetive. Do you know anything about the targeted recruiting class?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

2 of OP's last recruiting class which included Milt and Book

Mar 10, 2013, 5:10 PM

transfered out. Noel Johnson and Donte Hill. johnson was a 4 star recruit who has done nothing at Auburn. Hill a 3 star who has done little at Old Dominion. Both were vastly overrated, like Milt and somewhat, Book. OP had one signed player when he left, Marcus Thornton, who opted out to go to Georgia after the coaching change, where he has done nothing. Brownell was able to bring in one player in the spring when he was hired who followed him from Wright St, Cory Stanton, who was not an ACC player and promptly transferred after 1 year. So in total, we netted 2 recruits, Milt and Book, over 2 recruiting cycles, leaving us with a team of freshmen and sophomores, and the resulting poor season. The recruits OP had signed were pretty much all highly rated(Milt 5 star, Book and Johnson 4 star, Thornton and Hill 3 star) and all failed to live up to expectations except for Book this year.

Re: It is better than seeing a guard standing near the half

Mar 10, 2013, 1:01 PM

court line bouncing the ball. I can could figure out what he was looking for while standing out there. I am like the Joe Williams type of basketball--shoot it or throw it away within 15 seconds.

Re can not***

Mar 10, 2013, 1:04 PM

If we had a couple of more guys who were legitimate

Mar 10, 2013, 1:11 PM

threats with the jumper and could hit free throws, I think we'd be winning a lot more now and nobody would have a problem with our current "style".

I remember that even when we were winning under OP, it was terribly frustrating at times because we had nothing that resembled a half-court offense.

I actually prefer our current style - it's the winning I miss, and I don't believe they are necessarily connected.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Current style will make us more competitive with good teams

Mar 10, 2013, 1:14 PM

When we get some players who can shoot the ball.

Re: You're right. We could;t throw it in Lake Hartwell.

Mar 10, 2013, 1:16 PM [ in reply to If we had a couple of more guys who were legitimate ]

Couldn't pass either.

What is your point?

Mar 10, 2013, 1:18 PM

Purnell is struggling at DePaul, did he change styles?
Smart didn't walk into a bare cupboard at VCU.

Smart is not successful b/c of what he inherited

Mar 10, 2013, 1:48 PM

He can flat out coach, and has proved it by sustaining their success.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

I think even he'd disagree

Mar 10, 2013, 2:03 PM

he is successful because of what he inherited.
Yes, he's good coach. I'm not denying that.

I think Purnell and Brownell are also good coaches.

Re: What is your point?

Mar 10, 2013, 2:17 PM [ in reply to What is your point? ]

My point was simply that I have been disinterested in basketball since BB took over. My second point was that I think recruits were interested in playing OPs style and for the same reason I liked watching it.
My third point was simply that people want to slam OP for "leaving the cupboard bare," the same thing people sain of Barnes, but that good coaches should be able to competetive after a few seasons.

Depaul has lost, but they have been far more competetive than they were in the previous decade AND they play in the best league. Depaul would beat Clemson this year, and OP started with less there 3 years ago than BB did. \

null

Re: What is your point?

Mar 10, 2013, 3:09 PM

Ok then I'll blame your confusion on your first point - you "have been disinterested in basketball since BB took over".

It makes sense now.

Don't confuse disinterested with uninformed.

Mar 10, 2013, 4:24 PM

I watch, I pull for the Tigers, but I don't put my heart into the way I did under Barnes or OP.
Ask yourself this, honestly... do we have any chance of winning the ACC tournament? Any at all?

My answer is no. After his first couple seasons, I never felt that way with OP at the helm. Even when it was improbable, there was always that "what if?" That is what I mean by disinterested.

I hope BB turns it around. I have no better answer, I just think its boring and recruiting suffers from it esp against ACC teams. How many more years do we give him?

null

Depaul would not beat Clemson...***

Mar 10, 2013, 3:14 PM [ in reply to Re: What is your point? ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It would be good ball game, but neither of us could say

Mar 10, 2013, 4:25 PM

for sure.

null

Purnell SUCKS

Mar 10, 2013, 2:28 PM

It's as simple as that. His crazy "press 24/7" philosophy left us hopeless against good teams with a few exceptions; hence his absolute goose egg in the dance. How that fraud was able to see recruit here early in his career is beyond my comprehension. But he was definitely on the way out when he got the offer from the idiots at DePaul.

Re: Purnell SUCKS

Mar 10, 2013, 2:37 PM

Purnell did not suck. Purnell built our program up to the point we were competitive night in and night out. We went to the NCAA tournament on a consistent basis.

Did he lose in the tourney....yea. Whats worse than losing in the tourney? Not. Making. It

Whatever OP "built" was declining before he left...Hence his

Mar 10, 2013, 3:12 PM

departure in the middle of the night...

Re: Whatever OP "built" was declining before he left...Hence his

Mar 10, 2013, 4:37 PM

It was declining, but a few recruits like Marcus Thornton (run/jump athletes) and it would have been right back. The right back is competitive, but not able to win in a half court type game. Purnell did some questionable things during games (not switching defenses on hot shooters) and at the end of games (refusing to foul a team when we had a 3 point lead)...hard headed philosophy that was his. Howevr, we would have stayed competitive...heck we went to the ACC championship game under his watch. The answer is Shaka Smart who uses OP's tactics but will alter during the game. His chances of returning to Tigertown...slim and none.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Marcus Thorton? Really? How did he turn out?***

Mar 10, 2013, 5:11 PM

Re:And I won't disagree with that.***

Mar 10, 2013, 10:25 PM [ in reply to Whatever OP "built" was declining before he left...Hence his ]

Re: Agree.***

Mar 10, 2013, 10:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Purnell SUCKS ]

BB is on borrowed time....

Mar 10, 2013, 10:26 PM

he'll get one more year

will unfortunately do the same 5-7 wins in the ACC

lol at people thinking blossomgame is some sort of savior

BRUCE PEARL would be a nice fit here in '14

Replies: 29