Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Waterleak.net Update
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 167

Waterleak.net Update

Aug 7, 2018, 10:50 AM

Ok, figured out how a professional finds a leak in a water line. Pretty cool.

They tap into the water line at the backflow valve near the meter. Then they attach a hose to inject CO2 into the line. The carbonation then flows down the line and escapes at the hole. Then guy has a metal rod and a mic and headphones. Taps metal rod into the ground and puts the mic on the rod to listen for the bubbles escaping underground. Took about 10 minutes for the co2 to hit the leak. When it did, you could hear it above ground.

#learnsomethingneweveryday

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This the same leaky water line you "fixed" last month?***

Aug 7, 2018, 10:54 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's been "fixed" twice. This is the third time.

Aug 7, 2018, 10:59 AM

EACH time it's a different spot. This time the wet spot was in the wrong place and I couldn't find the hole.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Use baby powder next time.....

Aug 7, 2018, 11:02 AM

Oh...sorry, thought you were talking about a fatty...

;)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice. Found out our builder screwed up too.

Aug 7, 2018, 12:01 PM

So water line goes into the meter with 1" pipe. Then it drops to 3/4". SOMEWHERE it goes back up to 1", and then back down again to 3/4" under the house. - strike 1

Water lines are about 6 inches underground. Again, off code. That's why we have warm cold water in the summer, and ice cold cold water in the winter. - strike 2

And the kicker, they used this thin walled cheap PVC pipe for the main water line. It's not as thick as the width of the tip of my ball point pen on my desk. It gets brittle over time, and can easily be cracked by heavy mowers.

Leak was at a tapered joint. Plumber said this line WILL have more problems over time. Right now there's zero water leaking.

like i said the other day

Aug 7, 2018, 12:23 PM

trencher replace long piece a pipe

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thinking about it. Not sure I want to pay that much. Will

Aug 7, 2018, 12:33 PM

see. Found the water comes into the house in the back corner of the house. Pressurized sprinkler line continues all the way around the back of the house over to the garage. Guess they didn't want to run it under the driveway I imagine.

Would probably be about 70 feet to get it to the spot where it goes under the house (House line). BUT, then you have the main sprinkler line, also under pressure, that goes WAY further all the way to the back of the house and around. In theory I'd have to replace both.

Re: Nice. Found out our builder screwed up too.

Aug 7, 2018, 12:38 PM [ in reply to Nice. Found out our builder screwed up too. ]

As long as you have good pressure at the PRV in your house, the 3/4" to 1" and back and forth doesn't really matter.

If you have shiddy pressure, then it does impact pressure. Most places are well above the 60 psi your house wants.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 167
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic