Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Watching today's games, it is obvious to me that officiating
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 2,163

Watching today's games, it is obvious to me that officiating

Mar 16, 2013, 4:13 PM

and the current interpretation of the rules, and hesitancy to enforce the them as they are written, not to mention the randomness with which they are enforced, is hurting the game of college basketball. Missed calls, wrong calls, blown calls, ignored calls, etc. have reshaped the way the game is played and it affects outcomes.

A great deal of the pushing, shoving, grabbing, holding, hacking, etc. is simply ignored. Sometimes a touch on the arm is called while tackles, clips, and suplexs go without a whistle. Almost every player palms the ball every time they "dribble". There seems to be no rhyme or reason to blocking/charging, or what constitutes establishing "position".

It's really a shame that officials have let things get this far out of whack.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

i feel like the officiating in the ACCT has been

Mar 16, 2013, 4:20 PM

extremely touchy... I dont think its biased, but theres been A LOT of touch stuff called

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: i feel like the officiating in the ACCT has been

Mar 16, 2013, 6:15 PM

;) right!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't have a problem if the officials "let them play"....

Mar 16, 2013, 5:02 PM

just call the game the same way on both sides and be consistent the entire game. Too often your see officals (particularly in the ACC) completely change the way they are calling a game from one half to the next. The Clemson/FSU game on Thursday night was a prime example.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I don't like it when they aren't consistent either, like you

Mar 16, 2013, 6:29 PM

are talking about, and change the way they are calling the game or call it differently for one team.

I disagree completely about "letting them play" however, and I think that is exactly what is wrong, as it usually means ignoring or bending the rules. It's just like baseball umps who call balls and strikes differently based on their mood, personal preference, poor eyesight, or what ever; the strike zone is clearly defined and balls 10 inches off the plate or at the ankles are not strikes. In basketball a shove or grab is a foul and when a player puts his hand under the ball and changes direction or takes a couple of steps before it hits the floor again, it's a palming violation.

I say call it according to the rules as they are written.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

ding,ding,ding. we have a winner. todays game can't hold a

Mar 16, 2013, 6:19 PM

candle to the game it once was.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I saw a "carrying" call recently, think it was in our last

Mar 16, 2013, 8:09 PM

I would have fallen down, if I wasn't already in the recliner.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep . . . I saw that too; then it was followed with a

Mar 16, 2013, 9:01 PM

traveling call. Unbelievable: http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=13719187

- H. L. Mencken

Bingo. Officiating is atrociously inconsistent. The problem

Mar 16, 2013, 8:22 PM

is you can't allow so much contact and then suddenly decide to start calling touch fouls, which is what they do.

They also miss travel calls a ton. If a player has the ball at the top, watch how often they move their feet. But often, fast moving players don't take steps but get called for it.

It makes it frustrating to watch, and probably moreso to play.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Watching today's games, it is obvious to me that officiating

Mar 16, 2013, 8:45 PM

I agree.I also hate the way they make themselves center of attention in big games at big moments.Since when does signaling a turnover out of bounds require the ref to slide across the court 5 feet and throw down their arm like they are karate chopping bricks.

Re: Watching today's games, it is obvious to me that officiating

Mar 16, 2013, 9:03 PM

I agree.... And officially it is called carrying the ball not palming

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

I remember when I was a kid, and you were bringing the ball

Mar 16, 2013, 10:05 PM

down court and you reversed your direction by pivoting on your lead foot and going the other way,well, you better make sure you did not carry the ball the slightest bit or it was a turnover.

YOu forgot the 3 seconds in the lane that was called on Book

Mar 16, 2013, 10:03 PM

the other night. I have seen every game we played in the conference this year and that is the only time I have ever seen it called. And, I have seen players from other teams camp out in there for 7,8,9 seconds...

Replies: 12
| visibility 2,163
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic