Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Watching the NFL today, and one thing is obvious.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 2,273

Watching the NFL today, and one thing is obvious.

Jan 7, 2018, 8:58 PM

NFL refs aren't much better than NCAA refs. DBs get away with absolute murder, and nobody bats an eye. In fact, nobody even seems to realize it or know any better.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Watching the NFL today, and one thing is obvious.

Jan 7, 2018, 9:01 PM

I'm still trying to understand what a catch is....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That too, but I don't blame the refs for that as much as I

Jan 7, 2018, 9:12 PM

blame the people that came up with that rule; it's almost impossible to call with any consistency the way it's written. With PI, certain things are black and white, but you'd never know it. If somebody didn't know anything about football, watched a few games, the read the rule on PI, their minds would be blown as to why it wasn't enforced. Most people who've followed football for years just seem to either accept it, or really don't know any different.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Problem isn’t the refs in the NFL, it’s none football people making decisions...

Jan 7, 2018, 9:03 PM

on rules. Still can’t get a good explanation on what is or isn’t a catch. Different interpretation in every game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait, wut?

Jan 7, 2018, 9:04 PM

Seriously, what do you mean?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Watching the NFL today, and one thing is obvious.

Jan 7, 2018, 9:11 PM

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016/11/5/13502310/is-nfl-officiating-getting-out-of-hand-and-hurting-the-nfl-product

""Mikey, the number one rule of officiating is to know when

Jan 7, 2018, 9:33 PM

to let the players play. You never want to the game to be decided by the officials. Our job is not to dictate the outcome of the game."

I have a friend who is a long time high school official (football and basketball), and he tells me the same thing, however that very sentiment is a big part of the problem, and in truth, is a load of horseshite. The official's job is to enforce the rules of the game. Deciding when to "let them play" (code for ignoring certain violations when one decides to do so, and therefore not enforcing the rules) is THE problem, and should not be at the officials discretion. I get it; one team is up by 50 points and it's late in the game. Both teams, especially the team who's getting pounded is ready to get it over with. In that situation, you don't throw a flag for a guy that's lined up 1" offside. But, when, under normal game conditions, you allow blatant holding, and refuse to blow the whistle on PI because you want to "let them play", then YOU as the official are doing the very thing you claim you don't want to do with your lazy excuse: You are dictating the outcome of the game.

Officials: Don't worry about what fans or players' expectations are. Don't arbitrarily decide to ignore certain rules, or consciously decide to call them in a way that you know is not in accordance with the rule. IF you have to stop the game a thousand times, that's not your problem - it's the players who don't understand or respect the rules. Just do your job; enforce the rules as written.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: ""Mikey, the number one rule of officiating is to know when

Jan 7, 2018, 9:47 PM

Thank you! You and I have agreed on this issue especially after the Bowl season this year. The offensive holding in CFB is destroying the game.

Officials should call the rules as written. If the NFL or CFB wants the game to go faster then change what is holding or PI. Period. It is basically cheating and unfair to one team or the other to do it any other way.

It is up to the players to adjust accordingly.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Fix is In

Jan 7, 2018, 9:14 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Fix-Showbiz-Manipulations-NFL-NASCAR/dp/1932595813

Re: The Fix is In

Jan 7, 2018, 9:18 PM

They look the other way on many helmet to helmet hits too. I saw 2 today and neither were called.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 2,273
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic