Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Watching Dalvin Cook and Michael Dyer last night...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 58
| visibility 1

Watching Dalvin Cook and Michael Dyer last night...

Oct 31, 2014, 10:45 AM

as great as clemson's recruiting has been, will cu sign a rb on the level of either juan of these?

with morris' pass 1st & unrun happy offense?

howard - offered as dback by other skewls
choice - qback in hs
gallman - offered as lb by other skewls
davidson - former track star
fuller - most thought he'd be a dback in college
tye dye - only true rb out of hs?
brooks - many thought best suited at slot/wr
ellington/mcdowell both inherited & mcdowell was by default

it blows me away that an offense so "highly" rated [2011-2013] couldn't manage to pull a frontliner like the two that played last night, but hs coaches & players aren't "stupid" and would seem to be a great indication of rbs steering clear of morris' O?

cook is a monster. not surprised cu didn't pull him out of south florida, but he's on a different level.

if you look at how we bring in elite WR, and no RBs, makes you wonder why CM even preaches how much he wants to run it.

Thoughts?

[credit for this goes to the posting disabled] ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: Watching Dalvin Cook and Michael Dyer last night...

Oct 31, 2014, 10:47 AM

*McCloud potential if he doesn't get used at WR...Briscoe otherwise potential.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Dye and Choice are potentially elite.

Oct 31, 2014, 10:48 AM

Injuries may have messed that up, but hopefully not.

Now, are they as good as Cook? Eh...

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have you ever seen Dye run in college?***

Oct 31, 2014, 11:51 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I said potentially.

Oct 31, 2014, 1:03 PM

The guy has all the known physical ingredients of an elite college back. Doesn't mean he will end up one, but he "potentially" could.

Re: I said potentially.

Oct 31, 2014, 1:09 PM

Wouldn't be surprised if fuller never played a down.

Doesn't every back have the potential to be elite?***

Oct 31, 2014, 1:20 PM [ in reply to I said potentially. ]

That's sort of a weird question. Some more than others.

Oct 31, 2014, 1:27 PM

I never thought Reggie Merriweather or Duane Coleman had a chance to be elite.

But I thought CJ Spiller and James Davis might.

Re: That's sort of a weird question. Some more than others.

Oct 31, 2014, 1:49 PM

Our most "gifted" runner has fumbled too often. ( not including dye due to the unknowns)

But saying that a player you haven't seen perform has

Oct 31, 2014, 3:28 PM [ in reply to That's sort of a weird question. Some more than others. ]

potential to be elite isn't?

You are making sound as if you can't evaluate talent at all

Nov 1, 2014, 5:08 PM

until a player plays in college. That's false.

Not really...if you consider the things some have that can't

Oct 31, 2014, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Doesn't every back have the potential to be elite?*** ]

be coached...they're just naturally gifted.

This video kinda displays that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFIT-3gcAR8

Oct 31, 2014, 10:49 AM

Malzhan gets 'em. Just saying.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

I was hopeful we'd get the Feaster kid out of Spartanburg

Oct 31, 2014, 10:52 AM

but now I'm hearing he's not the "heavy lean" he juance was?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2014, 11:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Watching Dalvin Cook and Michael Dyer last night... ]

Malzhan actually runs a balanced O, but CM does not. Don't you remember hearing Morris say a while back that when he was playing HS ball that he got so mad b/c his coach didn't pass the ball more. And now that he is a coach, he can pass the ball as much as he wants to. CM is a pass happy coach that only wants RBs that has a better ability to catch the ball out of the back field way more than the ability to run between the tackle as a big bruising RB. The run game is just to slow for a coach that is jacked up all the time that causes him to not have patients to stay with the run more than a half dozen times a half. I do believe that the big strong ground game RBs are told this and have been shown this about Morris's offense. That is the exact reason we have so many elite WRs. I actually thought that Dabo would have convinced CM by now that we really need that strong bruiser RB. Oh that's right, we had one that saw he would have never been that RB when he saw he would never get enough time at that position to be great at it b/c that wasn't in CM's game plan. And yes I do personally believe that b/c CM only wants QBs for his run game. Tajh Boyd, QB/220pd RB!!! Deshaun Watson QB/RB type that will end up 220pd!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably not a a ton of guys trying to be the running back

Oct 31, 2014, 10:51 AM

these days. NLF shelf life is short. This has been going on long enough for the kids to take notice.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We've had really close misses that screwed us....

Oct 31, 2014, 10:55 AM

Todd Gurley/Keith Marshall
Marcus Lattimore
Mike Bellamy was a miss on our part.
Had we pursued Mike Davis?
Elijah Hood this past year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Add Dalvin Cook to that list.

Oct 31, 2014, 10:57 AM

Also Marlin Lane.

Yeah, I didn't mention Dalvin because he's in the OP.

Oct 31, 2014, 11:11 AM

Marlin was a discipline issue and Dabo decided to stop pursuing him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Marlin Lane

Oct 31, 2014, 11:34 AM

I don't know if he's even still the starter at Tenn. That Hurd freshman is stealing his carries, as he should. Hurd is literally a horse at 6'3 230+, the coots will find out this week w/o Skai Moore.

Re: We've had really close misses that screwed us....

Oct 31, 2014, 12:32 PM [ in reply to We've had really close misses that screwed us.... ]

I don't think Mike Bellamy was a miss on our part...the kid was infinitely talented. He simply didn't mature enough once he took the leap from high school to college. I don't think that's miss by Clemson, I think them's just the breaks.

Oct 31, 2014, 10:56 AM

Some would argue that great RB's do not want to come to Clemson because they do not want to run behind a mediocre O-line. I personally think our inability to land a decent RB other than Dye is due in a large part to the recruiter/coaching of that position. I do not think elite RB's want to come play for a coach that was a walk on wide receiver and in a offense that no matter how many times the chad says is a power running O, is a pass and QB run first offense.

that is ludicrous

Oct 31, 2014, 11:37 AM

we've had a 1000 yd rusher every year but this under Chad. TE is probably one of the smartest guys on the staff and the kids love him. or were you referring to our walk-on WR coach that is our head coach and is putting up double digit wins every year? or the walk-on wide receiver that is our WR coach that has a constant flow of guys headed to the NFL?

I think most walkons know more about coaching than most of the star players. I personally believe you can be a great coach without playing a snap: If you have these qualities, you can be a successful coach 1) Leadership 2) ability to relate to players 3)effort to educate themselves/willingness to never stop learning 4)Work ethic 5)high character

Lastly-- the recruiting is done primarily by territory not position

Re: that is ludicrous

Oct 31, 2014, 11:43 AM

You win some u lose some. Just crazy we are not going after a re in this class. They are putting a lot on dye. Someone that has never played a game or stayed healthy

Oct 31, 2014, 11:55 AM [ in reply to that is ludicrous ]

Our 1000 yard rushers were small speed guys that got those 1000 yards by long runs. Neither would have ever gotten a 1000 yards running between the tackles with their runs. Our RBs under our O has almost as many pass yards out the back field....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2014, 12:18 PM [ in reply to that is ludicrous ]

Elliot might be a smart coach and a nice guy but being a walk on WR what does he know about RB's is my point. Wouldn't it be a good idea to have someone who I don't know played running back to be coaching running backs?

Dabo and Scott might be walk-ons as well but they are coaching the position they played and know something about. They can relate to the position players they coach, Tony Elliott can not.

Another silly post

Oct 31, 2014, 12:23 PM

Elliott has been one of our best recruiters, and up until his year his RBs have performed very well. It's hard to blame him for not coaching a star when your top 3 guys go out.

then explain this to me

Oct 31, 2014, 1:47 PM

2011 - 41st in rushing

2012 - 37th

2013 - 52nd

2014 - prolly finish in the 80-90's

so what's the problem? is the best we can do over 4 years 37th? I don't buy that. We can't get an elite RB to come here (one that's not a converted QB, or offered as a DB by other skewls) by showing them those numbers?

plenty of elite WRs... why can't we get the elte RB the last 4? If you argue we have, why don't we have the numbers?

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

what's more impressive?

Oct 31, 2014, 1:55 PM [ in reply to that is ludicrous ]

we had a 1000 yd. rusher last year in a 13 game season

or

that he was 50th in the nation in rushing?

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Oct 31, 2014, 6:55 PM [ in reply to that is ludicrous ]

Thank you for pointing that out to that short sided no memory coot

Oct 31, 2014, 6:55 PM [ in reply to that is ludicrous ]

Thank you for pointing that out to that short sided no memory coot

Oct 31, 2014, 11:12 AM

If we start recruiting and building good O-lines the RB’s will follow.

The class we have coming in this year is a good start, but I’m interested to see if we’re committed to recruiting 3 or 4 guys up front every year. That’s what it’s going to take to have consistently good O-lines.

Oct 31, 2014, 11:58 AM

The elite O line coming will be for Deshaun and the next dual threat QB we have to start!!!

Oline issues and too many RB on scholly already.

Oct 31, 2014, 11:17 AM

Davidson and Howard are graduating. If we have Brooks and Dye back next year look out. I think we take 1 or 2 RB next cycle. We need that 5-10/230/4.5 guy though...you know, the same back everyone else in America wants.

Feaster committed yet?***

Oct 31, 2014, 11:28 AM

Thought Davidson had another year ?***

Oct 31, 2014, 11:33 AM [ in reply to Oline issues and too many RB on scholly already. ]

He has another year

Oct 31, 2014, 12:20 PM

but it will be as a grad student, he will graduate this year but is a redshirt junior.

Adam Choice was the #10 rated RB by Rivals...

Oct 31, 2014, 11:36 AM

And Tyshon Dye was the #16 RB by Rivals. Both were 4-star RBs.

So no, top RBs aren't "steering clear of Swinney and Morris" just because we weren't fortunate enough to land a 5-star one.

Forgot to mention Oglesby was the #7 all-purpose back

Oct 31, 2014, 11:46 AM

by Rivals and a 4-star as well. He hasn't made it in due to academics yet, but he wanted to come here.

So in the past 2 classes we've signed three 4-star RBs, rated 7th (all-purpose), 10th, and 16th in their respective class by Rivals.

The original post was really dumb and uninformed in my opinion.

Somejuan forgot Mike Bellamy!***

Oct 31, 2014, 11:53 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uhhhhh

Oct 31, 2014, 12:05 PM

Dye, Gallman, Choice, Fuller, and Brooks were all 4-stars by at least one recruiting service.

I don't think you can judge them considering, to date we have: 2 years injured (0 games played), RS freshman (1st 100-yard game last week), true freshman (and injured), non-qualifier (?), and injured... I'll concede Brooks has been underwhelming thus far but this would've been his first year to be a starter.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Check again on Brooks

Oct 31, 2014, 12:26 PM

He might not have taken a whole lot of carries from Ellington or McDowell, but it's hard to blame him for that. Last year, he would've played more if not for injuries. But he's averaged around 5 ypc, which is a solid number and a good bit better than the other guys we have.

Most everything about this post is wrong

Oct 31, 2014, 12:22 PM

First of all, Morris's offense is actually pretty balanced between run and pass. If you don't believe me, go look at the the number of running and passing plays we run when the offense is moving the ball. Sometimes this year the run hasn't worked, so we've had to pass to set up the run. But I bet you we're still pretty close to even on run and pass plays.

Second, Clemson has recruited very well at RB. I don't need to reiterate the number of 4 star recruits we've gotten at that position lately, as others have already done it. And that's not counting guys like Bellamy tht we're truly elite recruits, or guys like Cook that changed their minds (Cook was actually committed to three different schools before settling on FSU).

What you seem to have forgotten is that Clemson has been hit hard by attrition at the position. Three of the top guys at RB have been out in Brooks (would've been the starter), Choice (earned the starting job), and Dye (who would've been the starter LAST YEAR). All of those guys were 4 star backs.

Can you list all the RBs signed

Oct 31, 2014, 12:53 PM

while Morris was the OC that have either (1) had a significant impact to date, or (2) have the potential for making a significant impact in the future?

Maybe Dye if he can recover from the injuries. Choice? Possibly.

I agree we haven't signed that uber talented RB that others

Oct 31, 2014, 1:07 PM

would drool over. It seems we're getting talent more all over the field though. There is also something to be said about player evaluations which the staff has done great at times. Any of these guys in the backfield could be the future 'Nuk' with the exception of maybe one ;)

the number of rushing attempts, you could argue, are

Oct 31, 2014, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Most everything about this post is wrong ]

inflated b/c of a large QB taking 15-20 a game for less than 3 yds. a carry

Do you think a 1000 yd. rusher today is what it used to be... with 13-14 game seasons now?

btw.. .RD was around 50th individually when he ran for 1000

really?

Oct 31, 2014, 12:30 PM

What did DC do against our defense?

WE TOO THIN !!!***

Oct 31, 2014, 12:47 PM

Nm

With a better, injury free Oline, any of those guys could be

Oct 31, 2014, 1:03 PM

great...

We are either missing or have missed at some point in the season Timothy, DeStefano, Gore, Guillermo, Battle, Anthony, and Oliver...not to mention or supposed best run blocking TE in Cooper.

Anytime you've got that many guys going down or out for any particular game...you're gonna have trouble running the ball. I'm surprised we've been able to field an Oline the past few weeks...

I think Fuller will remain at RB and potentially be one of our best next year with Dye and Choice the next talented few. I still think Gallman is talented, but he may get passed by those other guys...they seem like they have a higher ceiling. I actually think we have a wealth of talent back there...just no line to give them running lanes...

i hope you are right

Oct 31, 2014, 1:58 PM

but over the last 3.5 years, the best we've finished as a team is 37th, and last year we were 52nd in rushing...

RM was a 1000 yarder last year, but he also finished 50th in the country, and we were still 52nd in the nation, with a coveted 1000 yd. rusher

a 1000 yds today ain't what it used to be

With the talent we are accumulating on the offensive line,

Oct 31, 2014, 4:27 PM

we'll be able to make a 1000+ yard rusher out of ***insert name here***. It's been a while since I've been this pumped about the O line.

Also, teams like Auburn currently have success because Marshall is a threat with his feet. Cole simply isn't. Marshall alone has nearly 600 yards with his feet. Cole Stoudt has 80. Watson has 147 rushing yards but in his limited playing time, has more passing yards than Marshall (1177 vs. 1103, respectively). In the past few seasons with Tajh, he was our battering ram of a RB at his 230 lb-ish frame. He had 400 yards rushing his senior year with McDowell hitting the 1000 yard mark...however, Tajh was much more apt to throw it and I don't blame him considering his wealth of options at WR. He threw for well over 3,000 yards his senior season and though the run game still wasn't elite, our pass attack was pretty amazing. It's been a while since Clemson has had a dominant rush attack and despite what Morris says, it seems that we still seem bent on airing it out. If Morris truly wants to go to a more run based offense, then he is going to need a very talented, athletic line. I think he's is addressing that though it has taken him a little longer than many would have liked...

Not trying to make excuses for our numbers, but you have to admit, these past few season with Tajh have been one that was dominated through the air with not as much emphasis on the ground.

Gallman and Choice were 4 star RB....

Oct 31, 2014, 4:01 PM

Nobody was recruiting Gallman as a linebacker. Choice played QB in high school, because high school coaches put there best athletes at QB a lot of times. Chansi Stuckey played QB in high school, so did Anquan Boldin. Brooks was a 4 star RB, who played Wr on some plays in HS, again he was being recruited as a running back not a wr. Quit making stuff up to fit your agenda.

Gallman was not 4-star, though

Oct 31, 2014, 4:33 PM

Also, the OP said that we weren't getting good RBs here because we don't run the ball enough. The best measure of how much we run the ball is to look at how many rushes per game we have, and tht number is actualy pretty equal to the number of passes.

Also, I wouldn't say a top 50 rushing offense is all that bad, especially when a lot of the teams ahead of us are option teams or run- first teams.

Not a consensus four star...but one according to ESPN

Oct 31, 2014, 4:37 PM

ESPN: 4 star
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/134664/wayne-gallman

I think he was a 3 star by the other services maybe...

Re: Gallman and Choice were 4 star RB....

Oct 31, 2014, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Gallman and Choice were 4 star RB.... ]

http://www.redandblack.com/sports/versatile-prospect-gallman-considers-georgia-offer-a-big-thing/article_f55f38cf-85f4-5576-9f8a-e3c1f56fa355.html?mode=jqm

but you're on a roll

Don't interrupt tk79 while he's making stuff up to fit his

Oct 31, 2014, 5:46 PM

agenda.

Re: Gallman and Choice were 4 star RB....

Oct 31, 2014, 5:52 PM [ in reply to Gallman and Choice were 4 star RB.... ]

Yeah bob, stop making stuff up and using hyperbole to fit your agenda. People who do that all the freakin' time are annoying. Ahem.

You're wrong

Oct 31, 2014, 9:16 PM [ in reply to Gallman and Choice were 4 star RB.... ]

Gallman received plenty of LB offers and Brooks was offered as a WR.

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

don't confuse her***

Oct 31, 2014, 9:55 PM

Replies: 58
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic