Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How good of a coach is Dabo, really?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 129
| visibility 1

How good of a coach is Dabo, really?

Sep 14, 2014, 12:15 PM

Have to bring up a very telling statistic between us and the coots. And yes, and as much as I hate to admit it, for the time being the coots have surpassed us. Clemson's two biggest games each year: the coots and FSU. The coots two biggest games each year: Clemson and UGA. Clemson has only won one of the past 9 games against the coots and FSU(zero wins against the coots in that time span). The coots have won 9 out their last 10 against Clemson and UGA.

That's an embarrassment, that the coots are excelling so much better than we are on the two biggest games of each season. The coots win yesterday just shows how poorly prepared we were for UGA. UGA defensively ran the same game plan that they ran against us for the 2nd half. They stacked up against the run and dared Dylan Thompson to beat them, and he did. Georgia is terrible on defense, and we only had 15 yards of offense against them in the 2nd half. And please don't use the oline as an excuse. The oline has played poorly the past 3 seasons, and yet we have had no issues in moving the ball. They played poorly last season against UGA, yet we still won.

We have been bringing in highly rated offensive linemen, and we even have had a few olinemen on NFL rosters the past few years. Dalton Freeman went undrafted, but is currently on the Jets 53 man roster. Now a few of those guys have been cut, but we don't have a talent issue on the oline. The issue on the oline is coaching. The oline should have been a strength last year, but it was another year of line that didn't play in unison. A coaching change on the oline should have been made after last season.

In Dabo's time here at Clemson he has only had to deal with two moments of heavy fan criticism. The first was after the 2010 season, the second was last week when he played Stoudt for the first 3 series of the second half over Watson, when the outcome of the game was a foregone conclusion in the 1st half. Both times Dabo has lashed out at the fans instead of addressing the issues at hand. Our previous 3 coaches Ken Hatfield, Tommy West, and Tommy Bowden took more criticism in one month from the fans than Dabo has received his whole time as head coach at Clemson. Yet, not once did you hear them lash out at the fans. When you're dealing with criticism the worst thing to do is to lash out at the fans.

Over the past 3 seasons we have had success we haven't had in a long time. And that's a good thing. But we aren't making any strides at taking the next step and competing for a national title. Considering our continuing poor performances against FSU and SCU, and the fact when we lose, we lose bad. Have we peaked under Dabo?

So far in Dabo's HC career, he has been a great recruiter who has been able to motivate the team after bad losses and come back with a win. But they are always those 2-3 games per year where the team is not prepared to play and have that deer in the headlights look. That's something that is a dangerous trend. The bad losses are unacceptable, especially since they are mostly coming against FSU and SCU.

This weeks game against FSU is going to tell us a lot about where Dabo is as a head coach. Can he get the team prepared for a big game that's not coming after a bad loss? Can he make the tough decisions that put us in the best possible scenario to win the game? Is loyalty to certain players going to effect putting in the players that give us the best chance to win? Can the oline actually come out and play with a mean streak, for once?

I've been a big Dabo supporter, but given our record since 2010 against the coots and FSU, and add in that the coots excel in their two biggest games of the season while we play horrible, the terrible losses, gives reason for concern on taking this program to the next level.

We, as fans can't get upset when SCU comes in ranked higher preseason. When the coots always play well in their two biggest games of the season, and we came out an lay a turd in our two biggest games of the season.

We, as fans can't get mad that some pundit rates Dabo as the 34th best coach in the country, when we have lost to our rivals 5 years in a row.

We, as fans can't whine when pundits rate other coaches in the ACC ahead of Dabo. Those coaches don't have the talent Dabo has, and aren't routinely in embarrassed in their two main games of the season.

We, as fans don't need to crack jokes about coots, when their team has taken us behind the woodshed 5 years in a row.

We, as fans need to make it clear to the coaching staff, IPTAY, the AD, the BOT, that routinely getting embarrassed by the coots and FSU with the talent we have is unacceptable. We, as fans need to force the issue with the coaching staff that this team needs to develop a mean streak. Prime example, 2012 game against the coots, DJ Swearinger leads with the helmet and taunts Andre Ellington, not a single player comes over to support AE. Sorry, but you can't let your rival disrespect you like that on your home field. I don't care if you get a personal foul, you can't let your rival punk you out like that.

Now beating FSU is going to be tough. They are home and haven't played their best in their first two games. You know Jimbo Fisher is not satisfied with the way they have played this season. He will have that team ready, and we have to be even more ready. Really, this is a must win game, not the end of the world if we lose, but in terms of moving this program to the next level this is a much needed win. Getting blown out again will not be a good sign.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you serious?

Sep 14, 2014, 12:18 PM

Who would you suggest we get if not Dabo? You people need to chill.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are you serious?

Sep 14, 2014, 12:29 PM

Lon spivey is an unknown gem

Didn't say a thing about firing him, stated I was.....

Sep 14, 2014, 12:33 PM [ in reply to Are you serious? ]

a supporter of Dabo. It was an honest question about where Dabo is as a head coach at this point. I pointed out a few things that are keeping us from taking the next step. The losses against FSU and SCU are a very valid concern. The blowout losses when we do lose is a very valid concern. The 5 losses in a row to the coots is a very valid concern.

We have a chance this weekend to start reversing those trends.

Re: Are you serious?

Sep 14, 2014, 12:50 PM [ in reply to Are you serious? ]

Jeremy Pruitt would be an option

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Very good.***

Sep 14, 2014, 12:35 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: How good of a coach is Dabo, really?

Sep 14, 2014, 12:35 PM

Wow...someone needs a hobby!

TL:DR of the year so far.

Sep 14, 2014, 12:37 PM

You shouldn't be allowed to post til bowl season.

Re: TL:DR of the year so far.

Sep 14, 2014, 12:43 PM

Amazing!!! Clemson with Dabo is the only school that doesn't 'win them all'...........

read the post, it wasn't about having to win a national....

Sep 14, 2014, 12:48 PM

championship. It was about playing terrible against FSU and SCU on a consistent basis. It's impossible to have an intelligent discussion on tnet, anymore. The post wasn't being overly critical, it was pointing out facts about the bad losses and the terrible play against FSU and SCU. As the norm has become on tnet, you can't post something without someone falsely attributing statements to you, on statements you didn't make or get anywhere close to intimating.

Re: read the post, it wasn't about having to win a national....

Sep 14, 2014, 12:51 PM

If you give facts, you get called a coot.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Sep 14, 2014, 3:00 PM [ in reply to read the post, it wasn't about having to win a national.... ]

This is exactly why I seldom post anything. There seems to always be some unintelligent, unthoughtful, unreasonable comment made to attack the very fan base that support our beloved football program. It's pathetic and carrying on a normal conversation with positive views is almost useless.
Our football program needs work, however, if one tries to stress that point he's almost immediately called a coot. Some here should start a bashing thread so they can get off on bashing each other.

Sep 14, 2014, 4:09 PM

You basically have to do like I do and just play nice with everyone, state your opinion when the time arises and not worry about the consequences.

TK and I have disagreed a lot in the past, but his post is spot on and it shames me that he's being attacked when he put out some very reasonable thoughts.

I'm still not sure why anyone who expresses displeasure with consistently losing the 2 GAMES THAT WE HAVE TO WIN TO ACCOMPLISH 3 OF OUR 5 TEAM GOALS gets landblasted on here. One thing that's always interested me about TNet and similar sites is the willingness to talk about national title aspirations while at the same time harboring a reluctance to discuss the elephants in the room that are USuCk, FSU, and the fact that when we lose we get smote.

I've never NOT supported Dabo. But if I'm being honest, beating UGA (once), LSU and Ohio State doesn't exceed or even compensate for our track record against our 2 biggest rivals when it matters. We call those "big games", but they're only big because we won them and salvaged our shortcomings against the 2 opponents in question from the games prior.

Sep 15, 2014, 8:08 AM [ in reply to read the post, it wasn't about having to win a national.... ]

You left out the part about winning big games?

I guess that didn't fit

Oh, I forgot we live in Russia...

Sep 14, 2014, 12:44 PM [ in reply to TL:DR of the year so far. ]

we don't have any free speech rights like they do in the USA.

Re: Oh, I forgot we live in Russia...

Sep 14, 2014, 12:47 PM

Free speech or not there is nothing to be gained by openly blasting Clemson and the coaching staff..imo

Wasn't blasting them, I pointed out facts....

tell me where I'm wrong about the bad losses. Tell me where I'm wrong about only winning 1 game against FSU and SCU since 2010. Actually, address what I posted. Do that for once. If not, don't bother responding.

Oh, I forgot we are in Russia where you tell people whether

Sep 14, 2014, 3:57 PM

to bother responding or not.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

chump, why are you trolling me when you have me on your...

Sep 14, 2014, 4:11 PM

ignore list

chump. LOL.***

Sep 14, 2014, 4:52 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

All kidding aside, I agree with most of your sediments.

Sep 14, 2014, 12:47 PM [ in reply to Oh, I forgot we live in Russia... ]

I don't think any other Clemson coach, other than Heisman himself, could have beaten LSU, Ohio State, & Georgia in a span of a few years.

It is my humble opinion, however, that Dabo is streaky. By that I mean that he gets his teams very high but then they eventually perform very poorly.

This was on display in the Georgia game in which Clemson played very tightly then literally fell completely apart.

I have a feeling that if Winston comes to play this weekend, it could get very very ugly.

Which is exactly what I was pointing out....

Sep 14, 2014, 12:53 PM

The big wins have been good, but we can't make the next step in competing for a national title when we constantly lose to FSU and SCU. And we as fans need to quit that talk every season until we start beating those two teams.

NO, ya'll have it bass ackwards. Dabo has us TCB against

Sep 14, 2014, 1:02 PM

the scrubs, only losing to teams that are really good.

Bowden was a Jekyll and Hyde coach, beat Miami and then lose to Duke. Get destroyed by Wake then beat FSU.
TB also played against a bunch of 7-5ish usuc teams.
Dabo has the misfortune of coaching during usuc's golden age, this is the best they have ever been.

You can rightly criticize some of the X and O's, and some personnel moves, (making sure to take as given the ones that work out well)
But you can't argue that Dabo hasn't changed us from a talented yet Schizo team into a more consistent performing team.

The net result is Dabo > TB > T West > Ken Hatfield.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Read the post, I pointed out the big wins....

Sep 14, 2014, 1:07 PM

And overall talent wise, we bring in more talent than SCU. So this "golden era" thing is no excuse. Oh, by the way in SCU's "golden era" they have no conference championships or major bowl wins. Again you're falsely attributing a statement I did not make. I never stated that that Bowden, West, or Hatfield was better than Dabo. I didn't argue that Dabo hasn't changed us from how things were under Bowden.

Re: Read the post, I pointed out the big wins....

Sep 14, 2014, 2:01 PM

Of course they dont have a conference title. Of they did they would have a national championship. It is not like Clemson lost to poor teams he has lost to top 10 teams.
Be real in your assesment.

Point out where I stated we lost to poor teams...

Sep 14, 2014, 2:04 PM

I pointed out that when we lose, we lose bad. And that's true most of our losses under Dabo have been double digit losses. And I pointed out that we can't make the next step while continually losing to FSU and the coots. So, yes I was real in my assessment.

Re: Read the post, I pointed out the big wins....

Sep 14, 2014, 2:01 PM [ in reply to Read the post, I pointed out the big wins.... ]

Of course they dont have a conference title. Of they did they would have a national championship. It is not like Clemson lost to poor teams he has lost to top 10 teams.
Be real in your assesment.

Re: Which is exactly what I was pointing out....

Sep 14, 2014, 1:03 PM [ in reply to Which is exactly what I was pointing out.... ]

tigerking; I agree with your statements but I do believe Dabo is our man for now and the future. He needs to exert his will and directions to our OC and DC. No more trying not to lose. open it up. fire up the team. tie for the Tigers to act like Tigers on the prowl for some fresh meat!! Ooops, I should have said Crab Meat!

Re: All kidding aside, I agree with most of your sediments.

Sep 15, 2014, 8:10 AM [ in reply to All kidding aside, I agree with most of your sediments. ]

Clemson did not play tight at UGA or at least in the first half

Consider this line from your own post ...

Sep 14, 2014, 3:39 PM [ in reply to Oh, I forgot we live in Russia... ]

"When you're dealing with criticism the worst thing to do is to lash out at the fans."

It's hard to not lash out to criticism, whether you are a coach or poster on tnet.

I found your post thought provoking. I really do hate when the Tigers get embarrassed. But then I do acknowledge the coots and Noles are two pretty good football programs right now, both finishing in the top 4 last year.

Re: Oh, I forgot we live in Russia...

Sep 14, 2014, 5:54 PM [ in reply to Oh, I forgot we live in Russia... ]

Tiger king I'm with ya on everything you said. We should be beating the coots most years and we should be playing on the same level as fsu. Remember you're in tigernet home of the "it's ok dabo is the next Danny Ford" which is just not the case. Dabo coaches with a just have fun and get better attitude. Danny coached with a get out there and hit the a hole across from you in the mouth until he doesn't want any more attitude. We're a fitness team. Apparently, we need to get used to it.

Re: TL:DR of the year so far.

Sep 14, 2014, 4:21 PM [ in reply to TL:DR of the year so far. ]

That is such a stupid worthless post.

I felt compelled to make one as well.

Sep 14, 2014, 12:45 PM

Dabo is the best coach Clemson has had since Danny Ford. Period. Even when Clemson wins a national championship, there will be folks that find something to fuss about.

At times, Dabo has been an embarrassment.

Sep 14, 2014, 12:49 PM

We have had more embarrassing losses with Dabo as Head Coach than any HC we have ever had.

He is also the highest paid, with a ridiculous buyout, that our AD should be embarrassed that he gave it to Dabo.

Dabo though has done some good things here. He is a good person, but I am sick of the blowout losses and the many losses to the Coots.

2003 at Wake wasn't worse? What about '08 vs Bama?

Sep 14, 2014, 1:05 PM

Or 2004 at Duke? ( Not a Cutcliffe Duke team )

YOu can't only judge by losses, but when just about every other team loses to FSU and Usuc you have to at least acknowledge that it's tough to beat them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL!!

Sep 14, 2014, 3:52 PM [ in reply to At times, Dabo has been an embarrassment. ]

How old are you junior? I was at home losses under Danny Ford when we lost to to GT and NCSU when they sucked. I was at a home loss under Hatfield to Wake Freakin Forest in the rain in front of maybe 40k, when they sucked, and I was at a 57-0 shellacking in Tallahassee when we were actually supposed to go down there and contend. There are dozens more but the point here is - you don't know what you're talking about.

People have short memories...if it didn't happen in the last

Sep 15, 2014, 8:40 AM

five or ten years, it doesn't exist to some.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: People have short memories...if it didn't happen in the last

Sep 15, 2014, 9:15 AM

I don't have the time to sit down and this but compare Clemsons record to evey school in the fbs since he took over and that will answer the question

Re: People have short memories...if it didn't happen in the last

Sep 15, 2014, 9:15 AM

Thinking it might b in the top ten which would b pretty good in my eyes

I'm a supporter of Dabo, this isn't fussing, this is....

Sep 14, 2014, 1:03 PM [ in reply to Re: How good of a coach is Dabo, really? ]

pointing out two trends that need to stop this weekend. I've been one of the biggest Dabo supporters and defenders on this board.

Before you race to put a protective halo around Dabo

Sep 14, 2014, 12:46 PM

Read the post. No one suggested firing Dabo. There were a lot of points made, many of which I agree with, some not. Y'all gotta learn it's ok for fans to pressure the coaching staff to be better. One of the ways we do that is right here. If all you care about is the coach, your loyalty is really not to Clemson. A fan who would give the thought and time to write that post clearly is more concerned with Tiger football many on here.

carte blanche or is it OK as a fan to point out when another

Sep 14, 2014, 12:49 PM

fan is being stupid?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: carte blanche or is it OK as a fan to point out when another

Well then at least point out the "stupidity." Or give an example.

i have no problem pointing out stupidity, but you seemed to

Sep 14, 2014, 1:00 PM

leave that bit of the equation out.

just wanted to make sure it was in play, OK with you and or others that think "clemson" > coaches is a shroud of some sorts or license to kill. hard to imagine a lot of the "unabated/unbridled" attacks on staff/admin/coaches as good for clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: i have no problem pointing out stupidity, but you seemed to

Sep 14, 2014, 1:17 PM

It looked to me as you were suggesting the OP made a stupid post. If so, I didn't see where any point made was countered. As for other responses on this thread, I saw the usual questions like who would replace Dabo if we fire him, when clearly the OP doesn't want him fired. I said it's ok to criticize, unabated is quite a stretch. And I won't apologize for always putting Clemson ahead of the man we hire to lead the football team. You could fill a library with posts protecting Tommy Bowden on this board. What now? He takes shots at Clemson all the time. Yes Clemson > a man paid to lead its team.

i asked you specifically for clarity on something you said,

Sep 14, 2014, 1:28 PM

no more, no less.

it's ok if you're not ok with "unabated" or any other word i might use and it's ok if you offer another word in its stead.

anything outside that is on you or anyone else reading more into this.

Give it up, you said my post was stupid, and have been...

Sep 14, 2014, 1:31 PM

unable to address a single issue I brought up in my OP. Seems like being on a reality show like Survivor or Utopia is more your thing, than having reasonable discussions with your fellow Clemson fans.

no, i agree, you have now graduated to complete moron.***

Sep 14, 2014, 1:45 PM

insults of a middle school boy is all you have***

Sep 14, 2014, 1:49 PM

i have no doubt this place makes your head hurt.***

Sep 14, 2014, 1:59 PM

name the time and place on the 27th, man up...

Sep 14, 2014, 2:10 PM

come call me an idiot to my face. Or is poor little DSP going to continue to hide behind tiger net? Poor little DSP, who can't handle when a poster he hates makes a factually accurate post. I know it was hard when you read my OP and you couldn't address a single issue I brought up. Cry me a river DSP, you're such a weak internet tuff guy.

Come on, DSP man up and address what I posted in the OP. Do either that or meet up with me at the next game and call me an idiot to my face, since you are so intelligent and I am such an idiot. If I'm such an idiot why haven't you addressed a single issue I brought up in the OP.

why would i address a single issue in your post when i was

Sep 14, 2014, 2:15 PM

not talking to you, did not address you or respond to you and at what point will that begin to find purchase with you?

doofus.

still waiting...

You did address me on your first post on this topic...

Sep 14, 2014, 2:20 PM

you called me stupid. You have to be the weakest internet tuff guy ever. You come out and insult someone, and when they challenge you over the insult, you deny the insult even though it's posted on the message board. Being an internet tuff guy just isn't for you.

i addressed dagummit & something dagummit said. i'm not

Sep 14, 2014, 2:40 PM

going to link/copy n paste or explain it again. you can ignore any and/or all of it you'd like. i'm way kewl with that at this point.

it appears there now are 2 choices.

the first, continue to watch you go full idiot here on the board about something directed toward something dagummit said, was not intended for you and did not come in response to you.

the 2nd, meet you at the "unc game"[or any] at a time/place of my choosing, then probably ruining both of our days by calling you an idiot for this, your absurdity, here and now?

i'm going with option 1.

And dagummit was referring to me***

Sep 14, 2014, 2:47 PM

awesome, he responded to you, i didn't; amazing how it works***

Sep 14, 2014, 3:09 PM

Re: name the time and place on the 27th, man up...

Sep 15, 2014, 8:34 AM [ in reply to name the time and place on the 27th, man up... ]

OH internet tough guy

Explain how pointing out facts is being stupid?

Sep 14, 2014, 1:02 PM [ in reply to carte blanche or is it OK as a fan to point out when another ]

So you're saying when we lose, we don't lose bad. Are you saying we have more wins against FSU and SCU since 2010?

if i was talking to you i would have responded to you.***

Sep 14, 2014, 1:02 PM

You did respond to me, you called me stupid....

Sep 14, 2014, 1:10 PM

Insults is all you have. You have been unable to address a thing I stated in my OP. So you beg the question who is the stupid one?

no, i asked dagummit to clarify something he/she wrote...

Sep 14, 2014, 1:19 PM

photo tk79_zps0a5af8b8.jpg

here's a handy scorecard...

if you are overly sensitive, perhaps message board just ain't your game?

Here is what dagummit posted..

Sep 14, 2014, 1:25 PM

"Read the post. No one suggested firing Dabo. There were a lot of points made, many of which I agree with, some not. Y'all gotta learn it's ok for fans to pressure the coaching staff to be better. One of the ways we do that is right here. If all you care about is the coach, your loyalty is really not to Clemson. A fan who would give the thought and time to write that post clearly is more concerned with Tiger football many on here." So he referred to me

Here is what your response was to dagummit:
"carte blanche or is it OK as a fan to point out when another fan is being stupid?" Your timeline thing doesn't change the fact you called me stupid. Obsessing over certain poster, got overly sensitive when it got pointed out who you were referring to. Perhaps message board just ain't your game.

Are you stupid? You sound stupid.***

Sep 14, 2014, 1:32 PM

tigerswimmer all you post is insults. And you can't even...

Sep 14, 2014, 1:39 PM

dish out good insults. Stupid, is the best thing you can come up with.

Called you stupid. Show me where I'm wrong. Or don't bother posting.

Sep 14, 2014, 3:59 PM

Stupid did seem to be the word of the thread though.

And, it's not just that you are stupid, you are that special kind of stupid that is so stupid that you think you are as smart, or smarter(!), than everybody else.

Easy, you didn't address a single point I made in the OP....

Sep 14, 2014, 4:05 PM

so who is the one who is stupid. The person who makes a factually based posted, or the person who can only call other posters stupid because he is unable to carry on an intelligent conversation.

You little chump, you call me stupid, yet you put me on...

Sep 14, 2014, 4:08 PM [ in reply to Called you stupid. Show me where I'm wrong. Or don't bother posting. ]

ignore and then proceed to constantly troll my posts. You're nothing but a little crybaby internet tuff guy.

ok, congratz, you are now an idiot.

Sep 14, 2014, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Here is what dagummit posted.. ]

it's not a timeline, it's how the internet works.

one more time, i asked dagummit specifically about a general point he made.

"Y'all gotta learn it's ok for fans to pressure the coaching staff to be better. One of the ways we do that is right here. If all you care about is the coach, your loyalty is really not to Clemson."

should that be carte blanche or a license to kill? no, it shouldn't be because there are a lot of people who attack clemson while standing behind the auspice of "I LOVE CLEMSON MORE THAN... " that doesn't make all that follows right or remotely OK or intelligent.

no more, no less.

get it?

Changing the subject doesn't change the fact that...

you called me stupid. Dagummit or I made no statements about me loving Clemson more than anybody else. And once again you have nothing to go on other than middle school insults. Hey DSP, since you like calling me an idiot so much let's meet up at the next Clemson home game against North Carolina and you call me an idiot to my face. Name the time and place on the 27th and I will be there, and you can call me an idiot to my face all you want. Let's see if you have the cajones to do that, or are you just going to hide behind tiger net.

now you want to fight? awesome. you get involved in

Sep 14, 2014, 1:57 PM

a conversation that did not include you, was not directed toward you, but you do so because you're overly sensitive?

so, after it being explained to you, you're going to completely ignore what was offered and/or the FACT that it was not a response to you and now want to fight because of something you made up in your head?

maybe idiot wasn't a strong enough word to describe your involvement here?

Another false assertion. I said nothing about fighting....

Sep 14, 2014, 2:17 PM

I just challenged you, since you are so convinced I'm an idiot to say it to my face. If I'm such an idiot then you should have no problem with saying it to my face. I didn't say I was going to do anything. I just stated we can meet up and you can call me an idiot to my face as much as you want. I only believe in violence in self defense. I wouldn't in a trillion years get thrown in jail over someone as trivial as you. I just wanted to know if you're man enough to call someone an idiot to their face or are you just another internet tuff guy coward. And yes the conversation was directed towards me you called me stupid. I called you out on it and you got all emo about it, trying to deny it by posting a timeline that showed you called me stupid.

Man up, address the issues I brought up in the OP or call me an idiot to my face. If you wanna call people stupid, idiots, or morons use intelligence to prove that. Don't just keep repeating the same thing.

you convinced me, congratulations. shouldn't that make you

Sep 14, 2014, 2:31 PM

happy?

Ain't about that, you tried to troll me and I flipped the...

Sep 14, 2014, 2:46 PM

tables on you. You made a ton of posts denying what you posted about me. Was only able to respond with insults and couldn't address a single issue I posted in my OP. I've made some stupid posts before as all of us do, but my OP was a valid post based on factual information. My OP was intended for us Clemson fans to have an honest discussion about where we are as a program and what we need to do to get the level of competing for a national title. There was no calls for Dabo to be fired. I even stated I'm a huge supporter of Dabo and want him to be here a long time. I went after you hard, because whenever someone tries to have an intelligent discussion on here, people like you chime in with insults and false assertions, turning the discussion into a bunch of middle school insults. Maybe, you will learn from this and the next time a when TNet poster makes a factually based post, you will actually address the points the poster mad.

no, i tried to have a conversation with dagummit until you

Sep 14, 2014, 3:16 PM

interrupted with the ridiculous. i'm going to hope this is you realizing it.

smfh still

I've been a huge Dabo supporter. I just want see two trends

Sep 14, 2014, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Before you race to put a protective halo around Dabo ]

change. The bad losses, and the inability to beat FSU and SCU since 2010. That's what my post was about basically those two trend. I want Dabo to be here a long time. I want Dabo to get the last laugh on Spurrier.

Re: I've been a huge Dabo supporter. I just want see two trends

What I thought was the most interesting point of your original post was about Dabo and criticism. There have only been a few times where Dabo has had real pressure from the fans.....2010 as you mentioned, but also after the SCAR loss in 2011.

Dabo is one of the more defensive HC's I've seen when criticized. Maybe Dabo only seems more defensive because he tends to talk a lot but I really don't think he handles criticism well.

This is my $0.02 psychoanalysis of Dabo:
He is an extremely driven person and his drive has lead him to do things like walk on the Alabama football team and get an MBA in spite of growing up poor with no father in the picture. He seems to have something in him that drives him to accomplish and to please those around him.......I think it is an approval of others that drives him, maybe an approval never received from an absentee father.

So when Dabo doesn't get approval and instead gets criticism, it is much more personal to him. I don't think Dabo is driven by money at all, it is the approval of others which is a byproduct of being successful. Dabo seems to get more defensive when criticized because the approval is being withdrawn.

If defensive isn't the right word, maybe unusual or odd in his comments is a better description. After getting prison raped by FSU last year he makes the 5 out of 10 comment and after getting manhandled in Columbia in '11 he follows up with the famous rant to maybe deflect criticism. After getting pummeled by WVU in the OB he makes sure to have the ACC trophy at the next press conference so when questioned about poor play of the team he can point to the trophy and say "they're not giving those things away".

I know many will find issues with my comments, but I just think Dabo is one of the more interesting personalities in college head coaching. His background and upbringing are not the norm for a major college head coach......none of that was his fault of course. Nonetheless, I think it leads to why many non-Clemson fans find Dabo "different".

This season is setting up to be a challenging one.....it will be interesting to see how Dabo handles the pressure if there are more losses than we've seen the past few years.

you're right, he's awful quick to bristle at any criticism

Sep 14, 2014, 4:22 PM

If defensive isn't the right word, maybe unusual or odd in his comments is a better description. After getting prison raped by FSU last year he makes the 5 out of 10 comment and after getting manhandled in Columbia in '11 he follows up with the famous rant to maybe deflect criticism. After getting pummeled by WVU in the OB he makes sure to have the ACC trophy at the next press conference so when questioned about poor play of the team he can point to the trophy and say "they're not giving those things away".

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Re: I've been a huge Dabo supporter. I just want see two trends

Sep 14, 2014, 2:30 PM [ in reply to I've been a huge Dabo supporter. I just want see two trends ]

What I'm trying to understand if it wasn't for Dabo the Tigers wouldn't be on the big stage to lose. Now Clemson has a chance to make the playoffs. Let's give Dabo a couple of years and see how it goes.

Wasn't calling for a coaching change, just pointing out...

Sep 14, 2014, 2:53 PM

we need to reverse these two trends

Happy to see this***

Sep 14, 2014, 1:03 PM [ in reply to Before you race to put a protective halo around Dabo ]

I am posting this not to address the the point of the post, but i do not understand why people on this site can't respond directly to points being made in a well thought out post.

Whether you agree with a poster or not, what does "this is stupid" or "you are an idiot" do to refute anything ?

The mentality of the posters on this board is becoming increasingly hostile to anyone who brings up glaring issues facing our team.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with the post, but debate is healthy and useful. It shouldn't be diminished or ridiculed to the child's mentality of nana nana boo boo you're dumb.

Sep 14, 2014, 1:03 PM

tiogerNick: agree all the way. nice post.

Sep 14, 2014, 1:04 PM [ in reply to Re: How good of a coach is Dabo, really? ]

tigerNick: agree all the way. nice post.

It comes from their predisposition to not like certain...

Sep 14, 2014, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Re: How good of a coach is Dabo, really? ]

posters. This is common on tnet, poster A makes one post that poster B vehemently disagrees with. From then on out poster B trolls the the posts of poster A, calling them stupid no matter how factually accurate the post of poster A is.

Re: It comes from their predisposition to not like certain...

Sep 14, 2014, 1:20 PM

I have only been on here for a few weeks and I feel that some posters think that any opinion that is in disagreement with there's is some how stupid or coming from a coot. Hard to have a meaningful exchange with that behavior. Kind of a bully mentality.

Unfortunately, reasonable discussion left TigerNet a long...

Sep 14, 2014, 1:28 PM

time ago.

Exactly! A good many members are rude and nasty toward other***

Sep 14, 2014, 1:23 PM [ in reply to Re: How good of a coach is Dabo, really? ]

Many on this site are coots trying to stir things up.

Sep 14, 2014, 4:14 PM

it is sometimes hard to tell the difference between those trouble-making coots and questioning Tiger fans. Thus it is best to remain positive about Clemson.

It's almost like they are channeling Dabo

Sep 14, 2014, 4:34 PM [ in reply to Re: How good of a coach is Dabo, really? ]

These hyper defensive ones in denial.

I thought the OP made some very interesting and valid points.

Sep 14, 2014, 12:57 PM

Jeff Scott as a great recruiter and WR coach is ready to take the helm.

Sep 14, 2014, 1:23 PM

Please do eveyone a favor & go cheer for yhe GameCocks. Of course as soon as they lose you will start griping there & they will ask youto leave.
As far as how good of a ccoach Dabo is I will just say he is a coach the head coach of Clemson. You are on a message board asking about him.

Don't ever call me a coot again....

Sep 14, 2014, 1:44 PM

I've been to well over a hundred games in my lifetime, been to 9 bowl games. Was at the 2012 Orange Bowl and sat through that humiliation. Was at the 2014 Orange Bowl game and enjoyed that success. I wear my orange all the time win or lose. My post wasn't really even a critically post. It was just pointing out trends we need to reverse to start competing for national titles.

You couldn't address a single issue I brought up in my OP. The only thing you can say is he is the head coach of Clemson. Address the post, or don't waste your time posting falsehoods.

That is what they call me and I have never said anything

Sep 14, 2014, 1:51 PM

good about the Coot. Been a tiger fan since the 70s

You know what else?

Sep 15, 2014, 12:00 AM

You got issues. Jack.

Sep 14, 2014, 1:27 PM

I love Dabo, but some of Clemson's most embarrassing losses on the big stage have come with him. He has simply got to get better in the big games that actually mean something.

He is a very good coach who I expect to be at CU for a long

Sep 14, 2014, 2:06 PM

while. Time will tell if he becomes an excellent coach with great success or a remains a very good and steady leader.

Lol...did the coots look prepared against A&M? I can't wait to watch them $hit the bed against Kentucky!

They were prepared against a team that beat us 45-21...

Sep 14, 2014, 2:21 PM

So we really don't have a right to laugh about that loss of theirs, when we got dominated in the 2nd half against UGA.

He's an excellent CEO. ***

NM

I always wonder

Sep 14, 2014, 2:44 PM

if these many fans who complain so much about the coaches, complain about the players, complain about tickets, complain about many things Clemson related are really 100% committed to the Tigers or have CU as a sports favorite. My guess is less than half are IPTAY members and even fewer are alums. While their support is vital to the program, there are many positive things they can do to make the Tigers even greater. Bitchin' ain't one of them!

IPTAY member, been to well over a hundred Clemson games...

Sep 14, 2014, 2:49 PM

been to 9 bowl games. My OP wasn't about complaining it was about where we are as team at this point and what needs to happen for Dabo to become a great coach.

Sep 14, 2014, 2:43 PM

He got snippy with the media and with the fans last week when we pointed out the obvious that Deshawn is faster and advances the field better than Stout does. Are you related to Dabo?

Sep 14, 2014, 2:49 PM

Time will tell how good a coach Dabo is. He might be looked at in a few years as the next Nick Saban. He might be a flop. I personally think he is a good coach. I do not think he is yet what I would call and elite coach, but he is above average. Time will tell if he progresses or not.

Exacty, he is a good coach, but for him to become an elite..

Sep 14, 2014, 2:51 PM

coach we need to starting beating FSU and SCU.

FIRE SWOFFORD!!!***

Sep 14, 2014, 3:05 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How bored do you have to be to keep writing posts like these?***

Sep 14, 2014, 3:19 PM

How bored do you have to be to respond to all of my posts...

Sep 14, 2014, 3:36 PM

Hypocritical to complain about me posting when are on here everyday and respond to all of my posts. I stayed off of tnet for most of the past week. Have fun being a hypocrite and responding to all my posts

Dear Tigerking

Sep 14, 2014, 3:53 PM

The real idiots are those that complain about a post or a poster because it is the truth and it does not agree with their one sided thoughts.

They forget, the purpose of a message board is indeed for different thoughts and discussion.

tigerking79 17048 posts, camgee 44441 posts....

Sep 14, 2014, 3:54 PM [ in reply to How bored do you have to be to keep writing posts like these?*** ]

and your griping about the number of posts I make when you have made 27,000 more posts than me.

How dumb of a guy are you, really?

Sep 14, 2014, 3:40 PM

This is our second best run in Clemson relevant history, and the only reason it's not the best is because Dabo hasn't won a national title.

Please get clue, then try again.

You get a clue and address the points I made in my post...

Sep 14, 2014, 4:01 PM

We have made great strides in the past 3 years. 3 years is the 2nd best run in Clemson history? You need to check up on your facts. I will take it way back to John Heisman, who coached for 4 years here, we had an undefeated season and had our highest single scoring game ever. Then the Jess Neely years, then the first 20 years of Frank Howards career, then from the late 70's to 1991. Need some more years and need to be the coots to consider this the 2nd best run ever.

And I stated nothing about we have to win a national title. I pointed that when we lose, we play terrible. And I pointed out our record against FSU and SCU since 2010. I also stated I'm a huge Dabo supporter. Next time address what I actually posted rather than make false assertions.

John Heisman? Seriously?

Sep 14, 2014, 11:31 PM

Yeah, that's relevant. LOL.

We are WITHOUT A DOUBT in our best run since 87-89. Save the national title, Dabo has done as much as every coach has ever done and more than most all of them. Please spare me the 1904 bull ####.

Yeah, it sucks really bad we lost to an FSU team with tons more talent than us, and it sucks we lost to the best uSC teams in their entire history and gifted them with 15-3 turnovers in the last 3 games, but for the love of pete, get a grip.

Re: How dumb of a guy are you, really?

Sep 14, 2014, 4:21 PM [ in reply to How dumb of a guy are you, really? ]

Who said anything about a national title? I'm pretty sure his post was EXCLUSIVELY pertaining to why we can't win our 2 most important games of the season over the past 5 years.

Exaggeration.

Sep 14, 2014, 11:40 PM

That's the basic point here.

We lost to better teams and gifted the coots in a couple of them. And?

We are undoubtedly doing better than at any point since 87-89 and we aren't losing to crappy teams like GT and NCSU, etc, like we did back then.

And BTW, John Heisman doesn't count in this discussion.

What I said stands.

The old "big Dabo supporter" who wants to level criticism

Sep 14, 2014, 3:47 PM

at Dabo but don't dare let Dabo have any opinions of his own. Dabo is the coach, you are a fan. Deal with it.

Address what I posted. Not what I didn't post....

Sep 14, 2014, 4:02 PM

This is the USA, we have free speech. Deal with it.

HE'S ### GOOD!!!

Sep 14, 2014, 4:08 PM

You've a right to your opinion but so am I.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm only making the point we need to start getting wins...

Sep 14, 2014, 4:09 PM

against FSU and SCU. Is that point wrong?

I agree we need to beat FSU and USuCk.

Sep 14, 2014, 11:51 PM

Would you really risk what we have to change all our coaches and spend four or five years getting settled in from the turmoil in hopes of picking out somebody who could coach as well as SOS?

Wouldn't it be more practical to be patient until he dies or retires? It's also likely that SOS had Tajh's number as much or more than Dabo's.

What, we can't beat the best team in the land? This isn't even something we need to address until it's practical to think anyone can beat them.

The dumpers are constantly whining about we pumpers being realistic. It now appears I've a more realistic opinion on Clemson's situation than any of them. They just don't like losing, as if any of us do, and they lash out.

Changing coaching staffs at this juncture isn't a practical choice. Who would want to take a job knowing that having Dabo's record wouldn't satisfy the Clemson faithful. Well, Lane Kiffen is still looking for a HC job I suppose.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 14, 2014, 4:19 PM

I want to add to your post that Dabo himself is the one who has the "5 Team Goals" as follows:

1) Win the opener
2) Win the division
3) Win the conference
4) Win the state championship
5) Win the bowl game

It troubles me that Dabo sometimes feels the need to get defensive over not accomplishing goals that he himself has said are important.

Similarly, I don't know why some fans act baffled when other fans wonder why we aren't winning the 2 games that we have to accomplish more than half of our goals.

All that said --- it's still a new season and we can still accomplish 4 of our 5 goals.

Sep 14, 2014, 4:25 PM

Dabo is still a work in progress I agree and think he is a ok coach at this point. The problem I have is the bad losses in the big games. It's a pattern that he needs to take responsibility for. Since Dabo has taken over we have lost 5 straight to the Coots, the worst bowl loss in history , and the worst loss in DV history. Then to start the season the way we lost to UGA it seems to be the same old thing. I can take a hard fought loss but to keep getting embarrassed on the big stage at least 1 or 2 times every year is a big problem.

Sep 14, 2014, 4:46 PM

I've been asking why Dabo is our head coach for years. We are stuck with Chad's offense and Brent 's defense. Do you really want Dabo, with no experience as an OC, to start dictating philosophy or scheme to Chad???? I think dabo would be a great AD, as everyone keeps saying "he's a great CEO" when I bring up the fact that he isn't qualified to call an offensive or defensive play. He obviously can recruit and hire great coordinators. But expecting him to effect change on the field is asking too much. Same philosophy as to why governors tend to make good presidents.

Sep 14, 2014, 4:52 PM

Someone else on here earlier made a reference to Jon Gruden. He's a goofy commentator but in the nfl they called him a genius on offense. I'd love to see us get a fiery guy like that that would give us a football identity based on our excellent play on the field instead of just dabo's passion.

Check back with us when Sack does something more

Sep 15, 2014, 12:12 AM

significant than beating Clemson and finishing 5th.

But hey, good luck with the GED!

LOL. ^^Exhibit A

Sep 15, 2014, 12:10 AM [ in reply to Re: How good of a coach is Dabo, really? ]

..of the lack of IQ from the average ####.

Sep 14, 2014, 5:48 PM

You make some really good points, but how good of a coach is Ole Balsac and Dumbo Fisher? usuc lost to a sorry TN team and a hurt GA team, and who did the aholes play last year that was really that good.

To your question, as an on-field strategist and tactician,

Sep 14, 2014, 5:58 PM

Dabo is not in the same league as, say, Gus Malzhan. Though it pains me to say it, he is not as good as Spurrier in that regard. Dabo has his good points, but you make the case in your post that he also has his shortcomings.

Sep 14, 2014, 11:54 PM

Tigerking stand your ground. I cant stand Dabos loyalty to Stoudt and Howard. It's time this staff starts the best players. As for Scar, Dabo has tried to make the Carolina game less important. I hate those pieces of crap from Columbia.

..I don't necessarily diagree with Tigerking79.....

Sep 14, 2014, 11:56 PM

..but what exactly is *it* that makes Spurrier superior to Dabo as a coach? Is Spurrier the better motivator? Is he able to design plays better or disect defenses more easily?

Answer: NOTHING

Sep 15, 2014, 12:03 AM

Dabo has accomplished as much or more in his 5 seasons at Clemson as Spurrier has in his 9 seasons at uSC. Sack has lost plenty of games he should have won, otherwise, they may have reached loftier heights than beating Clemson and second tier Big 10 teams in some obscure bowl game.

Replies: 129
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic