Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
DC Trip
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

DC Trip

May 29, 2019, 3:25 PM

Sorry if wrong spot. The fam and I are headed up to Baltimore and DC, on vacation this year. Big history guy, but what to know whats some good things to do with the kiddos. Anybody got suggestions?
So far, got Orioles tickets, Babe Ruth house in Baltimore.
Fords Theatre, Capitol tour, Holocaust Museum, American history museum are on the list.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: DC Trip

May 29, 2019, 3:29 PM

The Air and Space Musueum. Really any of the Smithsonian ones are great. Printing and engraving. I always liked the National Zoo and the Iwo Jima memorial too.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 29, 2019, 3:29 PM

The Inner Harbor and Aquarium in Baltimore are must-do's. Obviously, in DC, pick a museum...or site. I'm a fan of the National Gallery...and simply walking the length of the Mall. Hop across the Potomac and stroll Arlington Cemetery, too. Those two cities will wear your walking shoes out!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Highly recommend the Baltimore Aquarium, & Museum of

May 29, 2019, 9:10 PM

Natural History, along with several others on the Mall.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, FBI building tour,

May 29, 2019, 3:37 PM

Air & Space Museum, National Archives. The Washington Monument will be open in August. Also, you can sit in on Supreme Court oral arguments and tour the White House (get tickets thru a member of Congress).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Washington Nationals (MLB),, Washington Mystics (WNBA)***

May 29, 2019, 3:43 PM

Re: Washington Nationals (MLB),, Washington Mystics (WNBA)***

May 29, 2019, 4:10 PM

Nats are out of town that week. Was hoping the Braves were gonna be in town.

Arlington

May 29, 2019, 4:04 PM

No one should ever miss the National Cemetery at Arlington. Make sure to watch the changing of guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Also take the tour of Lee's home that is still on the grounds. Worth an afternoon, even in this heat.

Re: Arlington

May 29, 2019, 4:11 PM

We are staying a few blocks for the cemetary so that is definitely on the list as well. Thanks

May 4, 2012, 10:40 AM

Anybody been to the spy museum, wife thinks the kids will enjoy that.

May 29, 2019, 4:31 PM

I’ve been there with my wife. It’s pretty good.

When you go in, you’re assigned a fake identity & coverstory that you have to memorize, and you’re then quizzed on as you progress through the museum. It’s fun.

We got a deal on Groupon (which had a running coupon deal for them). If you decide to go, you might google that to save a buck in case they’re still running it.

May 29, 2019, 4:44 PM [ in reply to Re: DC Trip ]

The spy museum is AWESOME. Your kids (and you!) will love it. Same thing with the Newseum. Both of those places cost money to get into though. If you're looking for free/cheap, stick with the Smithsonians.

A super unique/fun place I've been to is called The Mansion on O-Street. It's basically a bunch of townhouses that some rich, crazy old woman bought and turned into one super-mansion that's connected by a bunch of secret doors and passages. You can explore the house and try to find as many of the secret rooms/passages as you can. The house itself is very strange/unique even aside from the secret passages. I'd at least check it out on Google!

Great Replie so far

May 29, 2019, 4:14 PM

I'd add Mount Vernon, a day trip to Gettysburg for your history, and if in DC on Sunday afternoon in the summer they often have a "clarion concert by the Iwo Jima memorial. Take a blanket and picnic.

Check if any of the Navy, Marines or Old Guard are having a "Tattoo."

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great Replie so far

May 29, 2019, 11:33 PM

If it is in your way, visit Appomattox Courthouse. They have period soldiers actors on site who tell the story of the end of the War Between the States. Definitely worth the effort.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 29, 2019, 4:14 PM

Newseum, all the memorials (Vietnam, Korea, Lincoln, Jefferson, etc), Fort McHenry, Air & Space Annex near Dulles airport

May 29, 2019, 4:41 PM

The Air and Space Museum was awesome!
Also, if you are in the area south of DC, about 45 miles, is a smaller town called Quantico in Virginia. You may have heard of it. The Marine Corps Museum is around that area, in Manasas, Virginia. It is phenomenal!

May 29, 2019, 4:43 PM

The Vietnam Memorial is also powerful.

I'm from Baltimore and still visit family there twice a year

May 29, 2019, 4:42 PM

Be very aware that downtown Baltimore (including Harbor area and O's stadium) is for-real dangerous, especially after the sun goes down. They don't play up there. It's for keeps.

You're OK at an O's game, but park near the stadium (in a stadium lot if possible) and don't go wandering around the Harbor area at night.

Many of the people I know in the area simply don't go downtown anymore. It's different than it was even 10 years ago.

Air and Space Museum***

May 29, 2019, 4:44 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Don't forget about the one at Dulles, too.

May 30, 2019, 12:29 PM

Concorde, SR-71, Discovery...

https://airandspace.si.edu/visit/udvar-hazy-center/floor-plans-guides

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

May 29, 2019, 4:45 PM

Run for Mayor and make history. Other than that see the gutter where EAP died. That's all I got.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm a huge fan of Annapolis and the Naval Academy

May 29, 2019, 4:48 PM

Annapolis is surprisingly close to both Balto and DC. Downtown is really cool, with good bars and restaurants, and the Naval Academy campus is a great place to see.

I second the Annapolis suggestion.

May 29, 2019, 10:37 PM

Although your trip should focus on hitting the main attractions in DC for a few days, and Baltimore is certainly worth a day itself, Annapolis is worth the trip too. As twill stated, it's not far from the DC/Baltimore area, and it's a really cool town. The Naval Academy has tours, and they are very well done. A Naval Academy tour and a meal at one of the cool downtown Annapolis restaurants would make for a fun few hours for you and your family.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

May 29, 2019, 5:01 PM

Got a capitol tour through Tim Scot's office. White House is closed. Was hoping to get a hamburger while I was there.

I highly recommend the monuments at night.

May 29, 2019, 8:58 PM

If your kids are old enough to stay out that late, doing a “monument walk” at night is something you’ll never forget.

All of the Smithsonian museums are great. Kids will probably enjoy Air & Space the most.

DC is a great city! Have fun!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I highly recommend the monuments at night.

May 29, 2019, 10:30 PM

Not to mention avoiding the hottest part of the day! It was brutal out there today!

May 29, 2019, 9:05 PM

Ball-tee-more? TU for first to ID the reference.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeit . . .

May 30, 2019, 12:18 AM

Sounds like it should have been from "The Wire", Senator Clay Davis . . . but I'm no movie/tv junkie

https://youtu.be/l1dnqKGuezo

I really like the FDR, Korean War Memorials,off the Mall but

May 29, 2019, 9:43 PM

worth it. The Vietnam Memorial is a must while you are over there.

I understand that they have daily "mini" play or productions at Ford Theater.

May 29, 2019, 10:10 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. A lot were on the list. Oldest kid is headed to 6th grade next year so he studied a lot about Americans history this year. Really excited for them to see some of the things in person.

FYI

May 29, 2019, 10:22 PM

The dinosaur exhibit at Smithsonian doesn't open until June 8th, been closed since 2014 I think, hopefully it's nice when it opens...

#1 Air-Space Museum, Arlington, White House Tour,

May 29, 2019, 11:01 PM

All of the Monuments on the walkable Mall (Lincoln, WW2, Vietnam, etc)...

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 30, 2019, 10:02 AM

If you are going to Arlington, try and go to Ft. Myer right next to it and tour the Old Guard Stables, the tours are free and they will show you the horses and caisson's and the tour is done by Old Guard soldiers. The FDR monument is also really good, as well as the Korean war monument at night.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WW2 memorial is fabulous

May 30, 2019, 10:49 AM

My wife and I went to the Crime and Punishment museum, that was really interesting(may be slightly age dependent). Also, as others have said, Spy museum and reflection pond are great sights. Natural history museum will also be great for your kids.

Clemson

May 30, 2019, 2:27 PM

Looking to buy some “ice cold water, for only $1” outside Camden Yards. Anybody else seen that guy out there?

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic