Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Home Improvement question of the day.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Home Improvement question of the day.

Mar 25, 2019, 9:34 AM

I've got several outlets that have a lot of play in them, I can tighten down the screws in the box, but then the face plate and plug aren't flush. Short of ripping out the walls and starting over, how do I fix this?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Washers***

Mar 25, 2019, 9:35 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Play as in what? When you plug something in

Mar 25, 2019, 9:36 AM

it has play? Play as in the outlet itself wiggles, or does the whole box wiggle?

Wiggle

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

I've only taken one part but the plugs would move.

Mar 25, 2019, 9:41 AM

I removed the plate and saw a far too loose screw. Problem is when tightened there is a gap between the plug and the plate.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

box extenders

Mar 25, 2019, 9:37 AM

your issue is the box is installed too deep into the wall

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CARLON-Blue-Plastic-Interior-New-Work-Standard-Box-Extender-Wall-Electrical-Box/4411965

you will need longer #6/32 screws to go with it as well because the stock ones might be too short

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here you go...

Mar 25, 2019, 9:39 AM

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-Spacers-25-Pack-172451L/202937111

That looks like the ticket there.***

Mar 25, 2019, 9:43 AM

You can also used folded up pieces of cardboard

Mar 25, 2019, 9:47 AM

with a hole cut in it. just make sure you have full replacement on your fire insurance.

Better to use gasoline soaked cotton cloth.

Mar 25, 2019, 9:49 AM

The gasoline helps it firm up over time.

What if I coat some stuff in thermite?***

Mar 25, 2019, 9:54 AM

The answer is ASBESTOS......

Mar 25, 2019, 10:11 AM

You can't trick me, that stuff ain't safe.***

Mar 25, 2019, 10:12 AM

Today in the Jounge I learned that

Mar 25, 2019, 10:37 AM

safes ain't safe.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sell the house. The builder & electrical contractor ...

Mar 25, 2019, 10:25 AM

were shady, incompetent or both. There’s likely 100’s of other defects likely to jump out at the most inconvenient time, cost major $$$, cut into your recreational time and pi$$ your spouse off.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I take solace in knowing that them what built this house

Mar 25, 2019, 10:52 AM

are dead or real #### old.

Try greasing up your hawg and jamming it into the outlet.

Mar 25, 2019, 12:17 PM

You won't give a crap about the loose outlet for at least 15 minutes.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

serrius answer - the box was NOT installed flush with the

Mar 25, 2019, 12:24 PM

face of the wall, replace the outlet and leave the plaster ears on so that it flushes to the wall and the cover will screw flush to the outlet

That sounds extremely correct and complicated.

Mar 25, 2019, 12:35 PM

Why won't these work?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-Spacers-25-Pack-172451L/202937111

The are adjusters to handle the short distance caused by...

Mar 25, 2019, 3:06 PM

an electrician setting boxes for 1/2" wallboard and the building contractor installing 5/8" wallboard. They handle 1/8th inch but not half inch. I'm assuming that the paneling is covered by half inch materials.

You can swap boxes but it's a chore unless you flush mount the plaster rings. I'm not a fan of that so I'd change the boxes and mount them 1/8th below surface which is standard. Changing one is simple and easy, changing half a dozen can be a challenge.

If you decide to change them and mount standard boxes in lieu of the flush mount then drill two holes in the side of the new boxes before you start. This will make screwing them to the studs much simpler and easier. The screws will pull the box toward the other side of the wall, like a toenail pulls lumber, so start the screw with the box flush to the paper on your side of the sheetrock and it will work out fine. If you wrap a string through the holes made for wiring in the top of the box and one in the bottom of the box they will pull it to you if you get the box too deep. A screw driver will push it back if you need to add a little force.

You guys don't laugh, those wires are stiff and a man needs a little muscle to put these things on the money. Take no prisoners and do it right.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is probably the proper thing to do, but sounds awful.***

Mar 25, 2019, 3:15 PM

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic