Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
College Football Has Lost It's Luster For Me
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

College Football Has Lost It's Luster For Me

Dec 3, 2012, 11:08 AM

College football is/was supposed to be about student athletes, played mostly as a campus sports venue for students and alumni. For a while it served that purpose. It no longer serves that purpose and hasn't for several decades. But in the last decade and up to the present it has gotten progressively worse and does not come close to serving its original purpose. It is now all about the money. Coaches making millions of dollars. Schools making millions of dollars. TV networks making millions of dollars. Athletes are no longer student sthletes. They are semi-pros. Some will go on to be full time, highly paid NFL players. College football has become the NFL's farm system. It's strictly about who can garner most of the billions of dollars fans spend on the sport.

For this reason, college football has lost its luster for me. I gave up watching or even caring about NFL football 5 yrs. ago. Haven't watched a game or paid attention to the NFL in the past 5 yrs. It lost it's luster for me when it too became all about the highly paid NFL stars. Too much hype and the players play strictly for the money. I have no problem with the players making as much money as possible. It just takes away the "sporting" aspect for me. I am seriously considering giving up watching or even caring about college football after the LSU/Clemson game. I have been a CU fan and a college FB fan for decades, but the game has lost its meaning and its way as far as I am concerned. I see the game now as a strictly commercial enterprise with too many adults making far too much money off of young men, the majority of whom will never prosper 1/1000th+ as financially as the adults and institutions and networks involved. Conference realignment is all about the money. The sport is all about the money. Nothing else even comes close. Paying the players will not change the fact that the game and the sport is all about money. Paying the players will not bring back the ameteaur student athlete aspect of the game. Not for me. Maybe the game has passed me by. Maybe millions of current fans are OK with the game as it is now structured. Millions of the younger fans grew up on this money game. So, maybe it is all they know about the college FB landscape and accept it. For an old timer like me, who grew up in a different era, in simpler times, It has lost its lure.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2013_nascar_champ.gif2014_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

actually I've started watching the NFL more than college

Dec 3, 2012, 11:10 AM

football over the past 5 yrs...I watch us play but that's about it....at least when you're watching the NFL play you know it's pay for play. Not this trying to play the customer into believing it's something it's not.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the n f l is so predictable do to point spreads the bookies

Dec 3, 2012, 11:15 AM

own the nfl.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

then you must be a millionaire if you have it figured out***

Dec 3, 2012, 11:20 AM

then give me some pointers***

Dec 3, 2012, 11:22 AM [ in reply to the n f l is so predictable do to point spreads the bookies ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL...I've heard that for years

Dec 3, 2012, 11:25 AM [ in reply to the n f l is so predictable do to point spreads the bookies ]

Feel free to move to Vegas and make millions. That's why I never listen or read sports journalists anymore. If they "really" knew who was going to win the games each saturday they would be in Vegas.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

News from USuC...
"Richardson was the 20th Gamecock arrested since Spurrier was hired in Nov. 2004"

Fluxus®
"As I watched the game yesterday I couldn't help but feel crushed. We beat Furman by 4 TDs, but to me it looked like we got whipped."

"George Bush, we are reliably informed by the media, has the IQ of a moron, though how he matriculated from Yale and Harvard or flew an F-106 will remain an unexplained mystery. Doubtless his father bribed the airplane to fly itself."

So you won money on STL over SF? What about

Dec 3, 2012, 11:33 AM [ in reply to the n f l is so predictable do to point spreads the bookies ]

Indy over Detroit?

Re: College Football Has Lost It's Luster For Me

Dec 3, 2012, 11:12 AM

You are sooooo right!!!!!

amazing a sport can have the greatest regular season

Dec 3, 2012, 11:17 AM

and then morph into the worst post-season in all of organized athletics.

Good luck with all that!***

Dec 3, 2012, 11:20 AM

I agree 100%

Dec 3, 2012, 11:23 AM

It used to be all about saturday football. Now I watch parts of games but I to am so jaded with the amount of money involved. It used to be that being on probation was a bad thing. Living in Columbia I can honestly say that not one USuC fan is even bothered with being on probation. Superior can throw whoever under the bus, Garcia, compliance officer and both Tanner and Superior can run all the players off their teams that were not performing as long as they keep winning.
Honestly, I'm simply waiting for the NFL playoffs. They are really the only meaningful games on. Now, I hike more and drink a lot less on Saturdays.

News from USuC...
"Richardson was the 20th Gamecock arrested since Spurrier was hired in Nov. 2004"

Fluxus®
"As I watched the game yesterday I couldn't help but feel crushed. We beat Furman by 4 TDs, but to me it looked like we got whipped."

"George Bush, we are reliably informed by the media, has the IQ of a moron, though how he matriculated from Yale and Harvard or flew an F-106 will remain an unexplained mystery. Doubtless his father bribed the airplane to fly itself."

You're comments about Columbia are spot on. They don't

Dec 3, 2012, 12:28 PM

care about probation, or any of the off the field stuff, cutting players, etc. They brought in a db a couple of years ago that had been kicked out of 3 or 4 high school. Just win, baby. Just win. And it's not like they (the coots) are the only fanbase/school like this.

Re: You're comments about Columbia are spot on. They don't

Dec 3, 2012, 12:49 PM

And Victor Hampton has worked out well for the most part. He has never been arrested and has been a great player. He struggled academically the first few semesters, but has really done well the last year and a half.

Because someone took a chance on him, the guy has a shot to play in the NFL. I fail to see how there is anything wrong with that.

I feel like this every year around now

Dec 3, 2012, 11:29 AM

The season is exciting but exhausting. But with all the bashing the media does of certain conferences and how it effects the postseason it starts to wear on me. But come July Ill be begging for it again.

Dec 3, 2012, 11:40 AM

I agree. All this money-grubbing and exploitation of student athletes is a real turn off.

I understand where you are coming from completely.

Dec 3, 2012, 12:06 PM

I still love college football, and I feel so tied to the Clemson football experience, I don't know that I could ever walk away, even though it has changed.

Having said that, I would love it if college football could somehow be scaled back, across the board, and could really be about competition between true student athletes instead of a big business first and foremost which serves as a farm systen for the NFL.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Was thinking the same thing this weekend, but

Dec 3, 2012, 12:16 PM

I'm still ALL IN!

I agree.....its not the same game

Dec 3, 2012, 12:26 PM

I grew up loving either. I fully understand times and values change....but this remains a game thats SUPPOSED to be played by student athletes who's lives actually revolve around the school they attend--not about the sport theplay.

When multi-million dollar coaches start recruiting 8th and 9th graders and its the NORM, not the exception, then there are issues......and like the vast majority of problems we encounter, money is at the root. It doesn't take long to walk around and through all the tailgating at a home game to see all the tvs, satellite dishes, generators, awnings, RV's,......the list is endless. Its money, money, and more money. And the really sad part is that the teams that are good most seasons are the ones who consistently bring in the most money.....

There's almost no ignomy in being on NCAA probation any longer; no shame in cheating. The best teams most seasons are the ones bringing in the most money.....ultimately,they're buying championships by buying players....players who, at least in some part, have absolutely NO business being in a university atmosphere. Now, I'm not foolish enough to avow this hasn't been going on in college sports until recently----its been going on as long as I've been alive just not to the extent and excess its going on now.

And the absolute worst aspect----I fear its only going to get worse.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good post.***

Dec 3, 2012, 12:29 PM

Well said

Dec 3, 2012, 12:44 PM

I have been saying practically the same for a while now. All of the money grabbing and positioning for power is tiresome. If I did not care so much about Clemson University, I would have dropped college sports years ago.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

I have had the same thought recently. It started this summer

Dec 3, 2012, 1:32 PM

during the "Clemson to the Big 12" stuff. Such overwhelming support to take Clemson football away from the fans in order to maximize our revenue streams. Unbelievable to me.

I am probably most disappointed in the NCAA. They could have put their foot down and drawn limits on conference size, both in quantity of institutions and geographic scope. That wouldn't solve the problem but I believe it would have helped. The game is not...abolutely not, better by having four super conferences than it was when it had six major conferences. And even that is a disservice to half the teams that compete in 1A.

Too much money WILL damage the connection between the fans and the sport. I suspect most of us won't even see it as it is happening.

null

Dec 3, 2012, 1:43 PM

Money makes the world go around.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen, brother!

Dec 3, 2012, 2:31 PM

Kinda makes an old guy like me, and apparently you, sick to see what's happened. And it will only get worse.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic