Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Facebook lulz from a church member this morning
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 642

Facebook lulz from a church member this morning

Oct 14, 2018, 9:18 AM

The second sentence is particularly disturbing. Hopefully the preacher is in Matthew 5 this morning....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From the Sermon on the Mount, right?***

Oct 14, 2018, 9:50 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Re: From the Sermon on the Mount, right?***

Oct 14, 2018, 12:08 PM

Correct.

Nationalism coupled with Religion has historically always

Oct 14, 2018, 1:02 PM

been a fun ride. Unless, of course, you don't happen to adhere to that particular religion.

Allah Ackbar?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was that the Admiral’s first name? This seems like a trap.***

Oct 14, 2018, 1:49 PM

null

I'm ok with that in the context of protecting one's family.

Oct 14, 2018, 5:01 PM

I'd have no respect for anyone who would remain passive while their wife and/or children were being attacked or even under threat of an attack. I think the author of that might have done a better job explaining it but the following statements made it perfectly clear that the focus was family.

The mistake was made when the writer broad stroked the issue of violence suggesting that it is always a solution.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm ok with that in the context of protecting one's family.

Oct 14, 2018, 6:45 PM

is it just me, or do conservatives have a very unrealistic view of how dangerous the world really is? I know women that carry a gun every where they go, but for a grown man to do this is just plain silly.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 14, 2018, 7:56 PM

It's not just you. It's how Trump got millions of rubes to vote for him. They live in perpetual fear, which makes them do stupid things like vote for a con man.

Oct 14, 2018, 8:54 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm ok with that in the context of protecting one's family. ]

Are you one of those people who doesn't know just how dangerous the world really is? Or, is this sarcasm? Because the world is dangerous.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Oct 14, 2018, 9:59 PM

statistically speaking, we are living in the safest time in our country's history. The chances that any one would ever need a gun to protect themselves is almost nill. I was just curious why some men are such gigantic wimps that they feel like they need to carry a gun every where. This must come from some irrational fear of others.

Statistically speaking

Oct 14, 2018, 10:48 PM

For their to be statistics, as they relate to this conversation, means there is a measure of instances where "violent" crimes are still committed. This statistic will also include the measure of instances where said violent crime was met with appropriate resistance - including a firearm and, when it was not. And if one person saved their life by resisting with a firearm, no matter how insignificant or irrational you perceive them to be, the use a firearm for their personal protection is justified for them.

Granted, some people are afraid of everything ("gigantic wimps"), but not all. Some just believe in being prepared for the worst case scenario in any situation.

That the chance of needing protection "is almost nill" is irrelevant if it cannot be said that the chance of needing protection is non-existent. Now, I am not saying that your opinion is insignificant or unjustified by your beliefs or experience - just as mine is not by my own beliefs or experience. And, we could both live out our lives in relative peace without ever looking back and thinking to ourselves, "I wish I had a firearm on that day." But, because of statistics, it is possible we could.

If something terrible were to happen to us both, it appears that one of us will be able to say, "I am glad I had protection," the other, well, only time will tell if their call for help from someone else was answered in time.

But, I pray nothing but peace for you and your family.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Re: Statistically speaking

Oct 14, 2018, 11:01 PM

I appreciate that. And I was never raised to feel unsafe. We used to ride our bikes to the next town over, or take the train into the Philadelphia when were just kids. Now parents dote so much that kids are barely allowed to leave the yard because of this irrational fear that something will happen to them. We did not wear helmets, and we did not worry about violent crime. And the thing is, violent crime is much lower and concentrated in a fewer areas as compared to when I was a kid. I see it as a social neurosis fueled by too much television and cable news. People are running around scared in this country and to me that is sad.'

now I can understand if you live in an unsafe neighborhood, or have an unsafe job, but for the vast majority of people gun owner ship is far more of a liability than it is necessary. If yu just enjoy shooting them and think they are cool, I am all for that. But this narrative that we all need to arm ourselves is just perverse.

Re: Statistically speaking

Oct 14, 2018, 11:54 PM

The media doesn’t highlight it, but it happens more than we realize.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dgu/

Conservatives, in general, are more susceptible to fear.

Oct 15, 2018, 7:47 AM [ in reply to Re: I'm ok with that in the context of protecting one's family. ]

See the study below.

They are more sensitive to threats and danger, which, on the bad side, is why they are more likely to fall for fear-mongering politicians (like Trump, and that's why those types of politicians use fear... McCarthy was also great at manipulating that). On the good side, they're usually better prepared when a real threat emerges.

It's like how so many of them are convinced that the world is out to get white men when it's quite the opposite.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/mind-in-the-machine/201612/fear-and-anxiety-drive-conservatives-political-attitudes

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

In case everyone missed the theme of the note which was...

Oct 15, 2018, 8:44 AM [ in reply to Re: I'm ok with that in the context of protecting one's family. ]

not well presented by the writer, let me define and expound on the concept.

The writer, imo, was trying to give a personal opinion on the current attack on masculinity. I think the left is referring to it as 'Toxic Masculinity. If you will consider that compare it to a lunger's pursuit of a mancard. Why is being a man's man all of a sudden become toxic? What exactly does toxic masculinity look like and what harm does it to anyone?

Strangely as it seem when Kanye West broached on that issue when he said people were wearing shirts which said 'I'm with her,' during the 2016 election campaign. He furthered his opinion by stating that Trump made me feel like a man who could play baseball with his son. He also said the MAGA cap made him feel like Superman. It was obvious to anyone who saw the entire episode with any semblance of reasonable objectivity that West looked up to Trump because like a man, Trump takes it to those who attack him.

We all know West's goal was to promote West and West cares little about anyone other than himself but in this case he correctly in his horrid state of mental unbalance stated one of the primary reasons Trump was elected to be president.

Had the writer of that note Jhop brought forward been a little more educated he may have expressed that more clearly. Read it again, please.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you know a lot of people...

Oct 15, 2018, 7:42 AM [ in reply to I'm ok with that in the context of protecting one's family. ]

Who would remain passive under those situations?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

No.

Oct 15, 2018, 8:53 AM

The point is not whether or not a man would protect his family but how well can a man protect his family. FYI, it's a fact that you don't need target practice if you own a 12 ga shotgun.

Btw, I had a buddy who had a carry permit and packed a 45 in his car. I questioned him the same way you're questioning me. Why do you carry a pistol? He said he was too old to fight. Imo, it doesn't matter why a man carries a gun. It's none of your business and it's certainly none of mine as long as he to is permitted by law.

Re: No.

Oct 15, 2018, 8:56 AM

I questioned him the same way you're questioning me. Why do you carry a pistol? He said he was too old to fight. Imo, it doesn't matter why a man carries a gun. It's none of your business and it's certainly none of mine as long as he to is permitted by law.

Yeah, I didn't question you on this topic. I think you meant this for Tigerbalm.

Yaaaaaaaas!

Oct 15, 2018, 7:40 AM

I can eat steak again.

Don't lie.

Oct 15, 2018, 8:55 AM

You know you ate steak at home where no one could see you, now you can order it off a menu in public. I never got in the closet, it was just too crowded there for me.

I called it Civil Union Beef.***

Oct 15, 2018, 8:56 AM

Re: Facebook lulz from a church member this morning

Oct 15, 2018, 8:55 AM

LULZ at grown azzz people writing anything or even logging onto Facebook. The joke starts as soon as anyone logs into social media.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That makes a lot of women

Oct 15, 2018, 9:40 AM

wet. Hop over to Amazon at any given time and see what fiction women are reading.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 642
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic