Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Was surprised to learn Ron Morris is no longer @ The State
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Was surprised to learn Ron Morris is no longer @ The State

Oct 13, 2015, 11:26 PM

apparently took a buy-out towards an early retirement.....and maybe a little "inducement" from the Gamecock Club's Miscellaneous Account

Morris was a victim of Spurrier's inability to deal criticism no matter how trivial. But the true brutality was in TheState's decision to abandon Morris and cowardly throw support to a mean-spirited, vengeful Spurrier and his usuck lackeys. Morris should've left then.

Morris would never be considered a "Clemson guy", but hope he continues to ply his trade in a more rational, intelligent climate.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For a professional media guy, what he posted about Spurrier

Oct 13, 2015, 11:38 PM

was pretty disgraceful if you ask me. I have never once liked Spurrier, but to come out with the comments he did after Spurrier quit were childish and uncalled for.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe I am wrong but

Oct 13, 2015, 11:42 PM

from what I saw this morning, he didn't post it. Someone else posted his quote. And if he said it can you blame him? Spurrier did everything in his power to attack him even using his influence to have him let go from The State. If not for so much media backlash over his firing Ron would have been without a job. If a man comes after my livelihood because of me being critical of his team then I would also call the man despicable.

Spurrier essentially had him fired

Oct 13, 2015, 11:56 PM

want to talk about disgraceful and abuse of power. I am not going to join in on the love fest some are wanting to do, he was a great football coach. He will always be the OBS to me

Re: Spurrier essentially had him fired

Oct 14, 2015, 5:00 AM

Do they PAY guys to write about sports in newspapers these days? Who reads newspapers these days for sporting information and opinion aside from your grandpa?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I usually get the Sunday paper

Oct 14, 2015, 8:26 AM

one of my favorite moments of the week, to sit down, relax, and read every page of the Sunday paper. Even read the comics, the sales flyers, and the Parade magazine (or whatever it is called now).

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Years ago, "The State" regularly offered the newly elected

Oct 14, 2015, 6:05 AM

Editors-in-Chief of "The Tiger" and "The Gamecock" summer jobs as reporters.

So, I was offered after my election my sophomore year in 1967, and moved to Columbia that summer. I got to know very well the old hardliners, including one Mr. Herman Helms, the sports editor, who carried on a tough-minded war against the powers-that-be at Carolina.

Had any coach or administrator attempted to pressure Helms or Bill Rone or Bill Workman at the paper, each or all would have promptly told them where to go, as well they should have. This is the most troubling thing about the folks at the paper who caved in to pressure regarding Morris.

It was a colossal mistake; it violated every precept of good journalism, and it should have warranted the immediate termination of those responsible. Today, it is only a shell of its former self...a local paper that has become nothing more than a rah rah fish wrapper for the local team...in of itself, somewhat understandable, but a further depredation against its original purpose...to serve the state.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Years ago, "The State" regularly offered the newly elected

Oct 14, 2015, 6:48 AM

pretty much the case of all local papers. it is a dieing business

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Years ago, "The State" regularly offered the newly elected

Oct 14, 2015, 6:54 AM

My sentiments exactly!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Was surprised to learn Ron Morris is no longer @ The State

Oct 14, 2015, 7:01 AM

Ron Morris lives in Lexington and regularly attends some of the local high school sporting events. Last year he sat next to me at at basketball and I didn't know who he was. We chatted back and forth about the game and through the course of the conversation, I finally figured out who he was. Being a Clemson fan, I point blank asked him about spurrier, and was expecting to get a vile filled rant in return. Instead he politely said, Steve will be Steve. Morris was a class act, which is more than can be said for The Ole Ball Sac.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic