Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Rayshard Brooks' cousin gave a powerful speech on love and
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 277

Rayshard Brooks' cousin gave a powerful speech on love and

Jun 16, 2020, 2:08 PM

the pain of the loss of a loved one. And then, the lawyer's statement at the very end.

Emotional but Powerful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a05e9DF8Cio

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah, I saw it on the ATL news last night

Jun 16, 2020, 2:19 PM

it was very emotional

also watched the video of the arrest and shooting

I think cops are in a no win situation right now, they have been trained to act in a certain way and maybe that training is flawed, also some of the instant decisions that they need to make are tough and not always done correctly

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

you didn't listen to the mayor...

Jun 16, 2020, 2:47 PM

he just wanted to go to his daughter's birthday party.

I've given a lot of thought about what I'd rather do: jail or daughter's birthday party? I'n still thinking about it. I'll post when I make a final decision.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was it that or

Jun 16, 2020, 2:49 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good point on cops training. The thing that struck me

Jun 16, 2020, 3:40 PM [ in reply to yeah, I saw it on the ATL news last night ]

from the video is how calm the situation was until it suddenly wasn't. The officer continually built his case by his questions, field sob test, and breathalyzer, he was doing what he was supposed to do. When Brooks takes off, it goes from nothing to a shooting in seconds. Sure, Brooks grabbed the other cops taser, but there is no way a guy running away from you is going to hit you with a taser, especially while wearing a protective vest. Plus, both officers have their weapons; it's a conflict Brooks can't win in any scenario.

The guy is half drunk, you have his vehicle, his ID...he's not getting away with it. I can empathize with the officer, clearly "letting someone run", even if they're not a threat, is not in any training manual and I it's hard for me to expect him to calculate these outcomes in a complex situation. Afterwards, the officer clearly doesn't feel he's done anything wrong, I mean he's shaken, but still has his wits about him. Even asks if there is any word on the condition of "Mr. Brooks". I am also sure he felt horrible upon hearing of Brooks' death. I don't think the officer in this case is a "bad guy", so to speak.

To me, it's clear that the training failed, not the officer. And with police brutality in the current spotlight, I don't think it's unreasonable for Brooks to do what he did; but he's not the one with any sort of power or advantage in the situation. It's hard to train cops for every scenario, but going forward, training needs to account for recognition of the power dynamic during a police interaction to the point that the general public, and especially black Americans, need to know that their lives are not in danger. And that responsibility is going to fall on police. It's going to be hard to do, but it needs to be done.

My post wasn't really about the officers guilt or innocence

Jun 16, 2020, 4:39 PM [ in reply to yeah, I saw it on the ATL news last night ]

or whether or not Brooks was right or wrong.

It was about the powerfully eloquent words that the cousin spoke about his family's grief at losing a loved one and asking for forgiveness for not saying I love you enough - the humanity of it all.

I guess you have to separate yourself from the politics of it to see the human side.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sorry

Jun 16, 2020, 2:31 PM

"I think the cops are going to walk."

Jun 16, 2020, 5:54 PM

I would imagine 99% of African Americans in this country agree with you.

The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Replies: 7
| visibility 277
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic