Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Was it me or
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Was it me or

Jan 15, 2020, 9:46 AM

Did Ohio State have the better defense. They seemed more physical and harder to move the ball on. When it came to LSU we just seemed to keep shooting ourselves in the foot and kept stalling on drives which in turn put our defense on the field more often. Anyways still a very very good year. GO TIGERS!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Was it me or

Jan 15, 2020, 9:50 AM

Two different games , two different results .
I think OSU was stouter on the front end , but it's hard to argue that the back 7 ( particularly the safeties and corners for LSU ) were the best we've faced since 2015 Alabama .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jan 15, 2020, 10:03 AM

True but I truly wonder if tee and Ross weren’t 100% during both playoff games because they didn’t seem to be able to get separation like they normally do. Normally our receivers get separation no matter what dB they line up against. Not trying to down play LSU but our receivers are well coached and have never struggled getting open like they did during this playoff. I hope it’s either injury or we played against 2 teams with extremely good dbs and not because Jeff is parting ways. Anyways GO TIGERS!!!

I think Ohio State might have had the best defense in the

Jan 15, 2020, 10:04 AM

country this year.

What LSU did do that Ohio State did not against us though was limit the big plays. A lot of our drives against OSU went nowhere but we hit them for huge plays on all of our 4 TD drives. Aside from the long TD run by Higgins, LSU mostly made us drive the length of the field on them and we had numerous drives stall in their territory.

They also took over the game in the last ~20 minutes when we got down double digits and basically abandoned the run. At one point late in the 2nd quarter the total yardage was like 278 to 276 or something like that in favor of Clemson. They went on to put up 628 and we finished with just 394.

Re: I think Ohio State might have had the best defense in the

Jan 15, 2020, 10:19 AM

Now that you mention the big plays that makes complete sense. All year we seemed to score a lot of our points on big play and seem to struggle when it came to long drives that took multiple plays. We for sure missed hunter this year on 3rd down but Braden looked good in the playoffs as far as blocking and catching. I’m a little worried about oline next year but we do have Carmen, Cade Stewart, and Matt Bockhorst who’ve played a lot of snaps.

Jan 15, 2020, 10:15 AM

I think OSU had by far the better defenders, but I think LSU had a better plan for what to do with their defenders.

Aranda deserves a lot of credit for putting his defense in looks that caused us to not want to go to our strengths as an offense.

Elliott even said that ETN didn't get more carries because of what the defense was showing.

I think Aranda saw on film that we would go away from certain plays or that we ran certain plays against certain looks.

It seems he called the defense to give us the outside of the field and force us to make lower percentage throws.

With Trevor having an off night, it basically prevented us from being able to get the easy stuff on offense because we let the defense dictate what plays we called instead of counting on our guys to just go make a play.

But for Joe Burrows, Ohio State was the better team

Jan 15, 2020, 10:18 AM

More physical. Better coaching. More balanced and better overall team. They're the team to beat next year, unless they lose a lot of players. Don't know where we will rank, but Ohio State should be right there with us. The dropoff from LSU/Clemson/Ohio State and the rest of college football was huge last year. You then have a second tier with OK/Oregon/UGA/Baylor/etc. Then the rest.

But like Dabo says, every year is a new team. A lot depends on who teams return, and who leaves, and who steps up. That's why we play the games. I like our position next season to compete for the CFP though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic