Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
"Expectations are simply too high at Clemson"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

"Expectations are simply too high at Clemson"

May 3, 2018, 2:32 PM

https://www.wral.com/news/local/story/146451/

This really rubbed me the wrong way back in the day, especially coming from one of our own. He may get somewhat of a pass since he was leading another program, but you're my age or older, you likely remember this vividly.

But what do you know. As it turns out, expectations weren't too high at all;)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Expectations are simply too high at Clemson"

May 3, 2018, 2:46 PM

When he said that he was the HC at N.C. State and Brandon Streeter was the QB at Clemson. Now he’s the OC & QB Coach at ETSU and we all know what Brandon Streeter is doing...........ain’t karma a #####? Bwahahahahahahahah!!!!!!

He also got fired/demoted as an assistant at Clemson

May 3, 2018, 3:41 PM

Not sure what he thought he was doing in 2004.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have elected to block out the 90's entirely...

May 3, 2018, 2:47 PM

as far as Clemson football goes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: I have elected to block out the 90's entirely...

May 3, 2018, 3:44 PM

I was hangin with “up in Smoke” during that period...lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Re: I have elected to block out the 90's entirely...

May 3, 2018, 6:15 PM [ in reply to I have elected to block out the 90's entirely... ]

I have so effectively blocked out the '60s that i probably could pass a lie detector quiz... Especially the one Dean Lomax gave me considering some damaged soul who set off a fireworks display within the halls of Johnstone D-5 in the winter of '69...?? and i also do not remember changing the sign outside my buddies window on the street side from "Beat the H3ll out of BAMA " To Beat the F#$k out of Bama....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2018, 2:57 PM

Man o man, the Tommy West days. 1998 we beat Furman, Maryland and SC. It’s hard to think about those days but it does make what’s going on now even sweeter. The type of thinking that Mike O’cain displays in this article is what keeps teams in the gutter. I’m glad Dabo has the opposite mindset. Go Tigers!

May 3, 2018, 3:02 PM

That was about the same time that, I believe it was, Pat Forde compared Clemson football fans to N.C. State basketball fans with unrealistic expectations.

Tried to find the article, but didn't want to give that troll any more clicks.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was it Gregg Doyel, when he was writing at Charlotte?

May 3, 2018, 6:29 PM

This is what I managed to find on it...

https://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=21569

https://www.tigernet.com/story/football/Doyel-Defends-Column-on-Dan-Scott-Show-2093

Pat Forde is, in my estimation, a far better writer. Doyel's a good writer when he's not stretching the truth past the breaking point just for clicks.

His "Expetations" were just way too low.***

May 3, 2018, 3:03 PM

May 3, 2018, 3:12 PM

To tell the truth, I agreed with him. There were a lot of negatives- fair to poor facilities, small school in a small town in the middle of nowhere, admin who did not care (they weren't going to shell out money for top coaches or facilities). A pretty campus, good fan base and a little history only gets you so far.

There were a lot of years there with high expectations and very little realistic hope. It was going to take an unlikely miracle and that's just what we got.

At the time

May 3, 2018, 6:22 PM

That article was published, what did he say that was wrong? Because he was coach at another program makes him less qualified to speak about his alma mater? O'Cain has always been a class act, in my view. Perhaps Clemson's mistake in the 90's was not going after Mike...just...maybe.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: At the time

May 3, 2018, 6:27 PM

I've got no problem with what he said as of the time he said it. The admin had pretty well killed the program at the time this was offered. Glad some folks decided to turn things around.

May 3, 2018, 6:45 PM

The glory years are now ... and the future under Dabo . Ford showed what was possible at Clemson just like Frank Howard did for a few years ... but Dabo has really raised the bar .
Mike O'Cain just lacked the drive and belief in himself apparently , that Dabo Swinney has in spades .
Also , what do we care what MO'C has to say ? He is coaching at a tier 2 school and his alma mater is an elite winner with very little to be dissatisfied about ...currently .

I bet ol Mike is the one wishing for the past , now .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

This is the quote he will always be famous for in Ole Spud's

May 3, 2018, 8:57 PM

mind......"Well, we just couldn't get a feel for what Duke was going to do on DEFENSE".........and to put that just in a little bit of perspective for you youngsters. This was after we lost to Duke on a last second field goal. But, our first possession, we marched right down the field with Merriweather carrying about 8 times for 40 yards,Tee Dee! So, we kick off and Duke goes 3 and out and punts.....what do we do you ask. Do we line up and run it right back down their throats....No Sir. We come out 5 wide...and go 3 and out. And that, Tiger friends was not the dumbest thing we did on offense that day. Not the dumbest by a long shot!

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic