Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: CFB rule changes for 2017 season
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

FB Update: CFB rule changes for 2017 season

Aug 23, 2017, 11:32 AM

CFB rule changes for 2017 season

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: CFB rule changes for 2017 season

Aug 23, 2017, 11:40 AM

could the increase in game time averages be an effect from more games being broadcast on TV over the last 10 yrs, with longer stoppages during time outs etc to get commercials in? Vs. more touchdowns scored????? #captainobvious

Aug 23, 2017, 12:07 PM

Probably some of all of it. My thinking is we wait all year for the season to start in great anticipation, and then some want to -itch about the game lasting another hour, or less. I wonder how many people wish for more when the season is over? Funny how people still watch it and the stadiums are pretty full, even with the length of the games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The gates to death valley are usually open all

Aug 30, 2017, 1:14 PM

Year. U can go there and hang out all day.

I like watching football when I go to a football game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

More likely the increase in passing

Aug 23, 2017, 12:12 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: CFB rule changes for 2017 season ]

every incompletion stops the clock. GT games are on TV, and they are extremely quick. They (attempt) to run the ball and control the clock. Our game with them last year was fast.

TV certainly adds to it, and you can tell the difference between a televised and non-televised game. But I think that the style of play is more.

the stinking official reviews after every other play

Aug 23, 2017, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: CFB rule changes for 2017 season ]

did you even watch the National Championship game?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: the stinking official reviews after every other play

Aug 23, 2017, 3:01 PM

That was only implemented to help give Bama a rest between plays. Had they not done that Clemson would have run 120 plays on offense and Bama would have been carting players off on stretchers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

but NFL games always end at almlst exactly 3 hours

Aug 23, 2017, 7:31 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: CFB rule changes for 2017 season ]

While college games are much longer. It just seems like there's a lot more dead time in college games. The refs are slower, the halftime and quarter breaks are less efficient. Even the injuries seem slower in college. There are definitely times during dead balls where you are thinking "what the hell is taking so long?"

Re: but NFL games always end at almlst exactly 3 hours

Aug 23, 2017, 9:47 PM

The tv man standing on the field stopping play is the biggest delay.

The number of plays reviewed and the time it takes to review

Aug 23, 2017, 12:15 PM

them has gone up in my opinion.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 23, 2017, 12:21 PM

Everyone up in arms about the gametime.Meanwhile I'm over here thinking how many "bad calls" will go our way with the addition to the Horse Collar rule, "The nameplate area of the jersey is added to the inside collar of the shoulder pad and jersey as places where it is illegal for a tackler to grab a ball carrier and immediately pull him to the ground." Pretty soon want be able to grab a jersey at all and will have to ask the runner nicely if he will please stop.

Go Tigers!!!

Aug 23, 2017, 2:13 PM

If asked a player must gently place his knee on the ground within 3 steps or face an "excessive effort" penalty resulting in a loss of five yards and a medical evaluation for over exertion.

null

Shorten the game ? Reduce the 15 commercials that are run

Aug 23, 2017, 12:28 PM

at each break to the 2 or 3 it used to be.

Boom - games shortened to 3 hours & the actual GAME isn't screwed with.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Shorten the game ? Reduce the 15 commercials that are run

Aug 23, 2017, 12:37 PM

We have a winner.

Re: Shorten the game ? Reduce the 15 commercials that are run

Aug 23, 2017, 3:18 PM [ in reply to Shorten the game ? Reduce the 15 commercials that are run ]

I would like to see the stats on how the average commercial time has gone up over the last 20 years. What was the average total minutes of commercials in a game each year? They never tend to point that part of it out. I know money rules the sport, but how about this: Charge more per minute and lessen the time per commercial. I would more than likely watch commercials instead of channel surfing if it was 2 minutes long instead of 5.

Games too short? He!! I want qanother quarter...

Aug 23, 2017, 12:29 PM

Oh, wait

Both accurate and funny as heck +2

Aug 23, 2017, 6:52 PM

oh wait...

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Article doesn't mention a HUGE change that can certainly

Aug 23, 2017, 12:35 PM

affect our team and stress the importance of our "get back guys" for Dabo and Venables!!
Per a friend who is an ACC official, if a coaching staff member crosses the side line onto the field with hands uplifted and razing the officials, it will be an automatic 15 yard unsportsman-like flag.
Bigger than that is if it happens a second time, the coach will be ejected from the field!
Talk about getting a bit carried away!!! (No pun intended)

Re: Article doesn't mention a HUGE change that can certainly

Aug 23, 2017, 12:42 PM

Wittle Jimbo ain't gonna wike this.

Want to shorten the game due to high powered offenses?

Aug 23, 2017, 1:17 PM

If a player stops play due to an "injury" they have to sit out the next 15 minutes of play clock time (to bleed over into the next game for fourth quarter infractions).

This is a good point ^

Aug 23, 2017, 1:42 PM

With the rise in quick-tempo offenses, faking injuries has become part of the game in order to give the defense a breather. We've seen it time and time before. I think injured players should have to come out for a minimum of 3 plays instead of just the one, or take it a step further and make them sit the rest of that possession. It would drastically cut down on all the supposed "injuries" every time a team like Clemson gets a couple first downs.

Re: Want to shorten the game due to high powered offenses?

Aug 23, 2017, 2:41 PM [ in reply to Want to shorten the game due to high powered offenses? ]

I like this but maybe make it 3 or 5 min. It would suck to have a WR or DB legitimately get the wind knocked out of him on a play and then have to miss an entire quarter

Re: Want to shorten the game due to high powered offenses?

Aug 23, 2017, 3:23 PM [ in reply to Want to shorten the game due to high powered offenses? ]

The 15 minute should not bleed over to next game, it should not be a penalty to be injured!
I would not mind it being enforced in a game to make sure the player has fully recovered from injury, in the interest of player health.

Aug 23, 2017, 1:58 PM

If they want to shorten games they could quit reviewing every other play.

Aug 23, 2017, 5:18 PM

Decent rule changes. Doubt any changes will be made to adjust game duration. Fans have adjusted to the slow increase of avg gametime just fine. Don't like the commercial stoppages, but the universities sure like the revenue.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Glad to see the crackdown on the short pants. They look stupid and

Aug 23, 2017, 7:14 PM

provide no protection to the knees. I can't believe the coaches have even allowed them, in the first place.

Message was edited by: longtallsam®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 30, 2017, 1:08 PM

Don't make BAD decisions in order to change the rules of the game of football that has made it the absolute greatest Team sport there is today! NASCAR did this and has continued to mess with the rules to the point where it has changed the sport to such a huge degree that fan support is no longer there.

Way too many commercial breaks that are now the longest they've ever been. Way too many reviews that take too long. And way too many bad officials.

I haven't heard anyone talking about "overtime games" as having an effect on the increase of game times. Was this taken into consideration when determining these increases of game length?

Also, the rule change about jumping or diving to block a FG or extra point---does this mean that a man rushing from the corner can no longer dive with hands and arms extended in attempt to block the kick? Or does it only affect a player attempting to jump over the line of scrimmage?

Comments please.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic