Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dog talk and opinion
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 427

Dog talk and opinion

Jun 17, 2020, 9:17 AM

My dog is 10. I hope he lives to at least 14, but you never know. Anyway, do you get a another dog before your dog dies or do you wait until after?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I mostly have 2 at a time

Jun 17, 2020, 9:19 AM

but they are close in age

I always thought it was mean to get a puppy when you have an old dog but I could be wrong

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Mean to who though? The puppy or the old dog?

Jun 17, 2020, 9:23 AM

It's a pretty mutually beneficial arrangement. Cole did love Shuri, started getting more and more active and playing with her and overall I'd say improved his quality of life a good bit. Supposedly Cole instilled some good boy behaviors to Shuri, but I haven't seen those yet...Shuri is a very sweet dog, so I think she got one great trait from her big brother. #### I'm tearing up, but yeah, I think either situation is good, same age or separated in age.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

old dog***

Jun 17, 2020, 9:25 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

My wife thought our old golden was getting ready to die

Jun 17, 2020, 9:23 AM [ in reply to I mostly have 2 at a time ]

when she was 10. That was 4 years ago, so my wife got another golden puppy. So now we have a 14 year old golden and 4 year old golden.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I mostly have 2 at a time

Jun 17, 2020, 9:23 AM [ in reply to I mostly have 2 at a time ]

It feels that way to me too, but people keep telling me that my dog will train the other dog in a way. I have a really special dog. Everyone in my area knows him. I am talking hundreds of people. People who I dont know their name knows his name. He is really chill and he is a bar dog/go everywhere with me dog.

I like to have at least 2 also

Jun 17, 2020, 9:32 AM [ in reply to I mostly have 2 at a time ]

when leaving the house for work, etc. so they have a playmate. A dog left totally alone for hours on end is cruel IMO, they are social animals and need companionship. Plus it makes a big difference in personality because they learn to share and cooperate.

Only drawback to this is you don't know which one took a dump on the rug while you were gone. Or destroyed said rug.

Having Shuri has really helped, I would say get another

Jun 17, 2020, 9:19 AM

dog ASAP. I miss Cole constantly, but having the little hellion around helps keep me distracted from an empty house.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In my experience, the new dog only picks up the bad habits

Jun 17, 2020, 9:21 AM

of the old dog. So if there is something you dislike about your old dog that you'd like to have to train out of your new dog, or just want to have to deal with, have an old and young one at the same time.

I love dogs...but I'm going on 20 years with this, and after these two are gone, i'm taking a dog break.

Re: In my experience, the new dog only picks up the bad habits

Jun 17, 2020, 9:27 AM

I really can't think of one bad thing my dog does. He doesn't bark. He is nice. He is mellow. He gets along with all dogs. People like him. He looks cool. He can go for 24 hours without going to the bathroom in the house. Perfect dog.

10's not too old, so I would say yes

Jun 17, 2020, 9:22 AM

butt if hims is like 13 or more, I'd say no. The pup wood probably mess too much with the old dog and old dog wood either A) snap at the pup or 2) just look up at you sadly like why TF did you do this to me?

Butt 10 wood be a good spot.

I have 4 dogs

Jun 17, 2020, 9:23 AM

Don't do 4 dogs, do two dogs. Now, with one at 10, they may be stuck in their ways, but they may also be able to keep a puppy in line. It could really go either way but I am a huge fan of a two dog family so they can play together. I actually have never had just one dog as an adult except a REALLY small window where the younger one died and we only had a 7 year old dog for about 6 months. He was depressed so we got him a friend.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I also find that 2 kids per dog is a good ratio.***

Jun 17, 2020, 9:33 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Wait until they’re both gone and then go decades without

Jun 17, 2020, 9:29 AM

Another one so I can have some semblance of freedom in my life. I think you’re a single dude, so it may be different for you. But any time we want to go somewhere or do something the ####### dogs are in the way. Either have to pay a fortune to board them, or keep them at the house all day while my wife worries about them.

Don’t even get me started on the idiots who bring their yappy dogs out in public with them. Yeah lady, I want to sit here sipping on my beer taking in this beautiful view while your god #### dog barks incessantly. Dog culture is out of control.

This probably didn’t help you but I needed to get it off my chest.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wait until they’re both gone and then go decades without

Jun 17, 2020, 9:32 AM

I take him everywhere I go generally, unless out of the country. That's why 2 may be tough. This is the first dog I ever owned on my own. I see some people crushed on here when their dog goes. I want to make sure I am prepared.

Do you not have groups of friends who want to watch your

Jun 17, 2020, 9:34 AM [ in reply to Wait until they’re both gone and then go decades without ]

dogs? I had a rotation of 5 different households that actively wanted to watch Cole that I would send a text out and he was happily with them for any time I was gone.

Unfortunately Shuri is too crazy to entrust to them, fortunately, K8T's parents are retired and live nearby and love watching her. Probably whenever she turns 2 and mellows a bit we will use our friends again for rotation.

Your second paragraph on yappy dogs, completely valid.

Re: Do you not have groups of friends who want to watch your

Jun 17, 2020, 9:42 AM

Everyone wants to watch my dog. That is easy. I just want my dog with me.

No, they either have kids too or their definition

Jun 17, 2020, 9:48 AM [ in reply to Do you not have groups of friends who want to watch your ]

Of keeping the dogs would be to put them in a 12’x12’ pen until we returned.

So stay and play it is, which always ends up costing more than lodging for people.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That won't be a popular post, but I'm with you 100%

Jun 17, 2020, 9:35 AM [ in reply to Wait until they’re both gone and then go decades without ]

Wife and kids love our dogs. I like one of them and am somewhat tolerant of the other one. We have a cat that I am moderately fond of... It lives outside and our paths cross once a day or so.

It’d be a lot different if dogs lived outside like

Jun 17, 2020, 9:50 AM

They did when I grew up. I don’t need the constant nagging and filth in the house though.

Preach***

Jun 17, 2020, 10:50 AM

I've given thought to having an "old dogs retirement home."

Jun 17, 2020, 9:43 AM

I'd go to the shelter, find the oldest dog they have and give the best life I could until the end. Problem is I don't know if I could afford to do the needful for said ole dogs every few months.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've given thought to having an "old dogs retirement home."

Jun 17, 2020, 9:50 AM

That would be a noble thing to do. That would be tough watching so many dogs die though. They need homes and love though.

There is also that. I figure knowing they got more

Jun 17, 2020, 9:59 AM

time than the shelter would have given would help with that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We got dog 2 when dog 1 was 8

Jun 17, 2020, 9:54 AM

it has been so good for both of them. The older one got more active with the puppy and the young one feels safe with the older dog to take care of her when we are gone. They are inseparable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We got dog 2 when dog 1 was 8

Jun 17, 2020, 9:58 AM

Thats awesome.

I'd say go for dog 2. Especially if dog 1 is a

Jun 17, 2020, 11:17 AM

good boy/girl, younger pup will mimic behaviors of older pup.

Replies: 26
| visibility 427
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic