Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
WV Dude says payout in Big 12 could be 6-9 mil more?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

WV Dude says payout in Big 12 could be 6-9 mil more?

May 31, 2012, 3:47 PM

So all you folks pushing for a move to the Big 12 want to make this move for a lousy 10% increase in athletic department revenue?

Clemson's athletic department revenue was $61 million per Business of College Sports http://businessofcollegesports.com/2012/03/21/top-50-highest-athletics-department-revenues/. Therefore a $6 million increase by moving to the Big 12 gets you a 10% raise, but then $1.5 million of that gets eaten up by additional travel costs so you're talking about a less than 10% increase.

Let's say you're making $50K a year but get an offer out of state to make $55 with a slight increase in living costs. You gonna uproot your family for that?

Those of you only looking at football can't use the $17 million payout in ACC vs. $23-$26 million payout in Big 12 and calcualte a 30% increase in pay, that's not being fair to the whole picture. Nor is it being fair to all the other athletic teams who will be travelling to another time zone to play and then losing an hour returning late, all the while trying to be a student.

How do you Big 12 supporters reconcile a 10% raise with the tremendous additional burden on the student athletes? I thought the whole move to the Big 12 was going to be some financial windfall, but relative to the entire athletic budget it doesn't even equal a decent tip.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are you saying

May 31, 2012, 3:50 PM

you wouldn't take a job with a 10% pay increase because it involves more travel than your current job? I would.

You're not moving your home base, just traveling more.

The stats are bogus.

May 31, 2012, 4:06 PM

If our income is ~17 million/yr and we stand to earn 24 million/year that isn't 10% increase and I don't need a calculator to know that and neither does the OP (spindoctor)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What kind of math and accounting classes did you take?

May 31, 2012, 4:10 PM

Looks legit to me.

Re: What kind of math and accounting classes did you take?

May 31, 2012, 4:20 PM

I slept through ACCT 301 cause I just needed a B to exempt the final. I got that soccer coach's ex for Statistics, I think it was MathSci 301 and you could tell she was horny cause I just squeaked by.

The op ignores that most of our income is not TV revenues from the ACC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hmmmm.... maybe you slept through the important part?***

May 31, 2012, 4:40 PM

85 - these other posters aren't reading the whole post

May 31, 2012, 4:35 PM [ in reply to What kind of math and accounting classes did you take? ]

Are they?

You folks saying it is more than a 10% raise....I covered the $17 mil vs. $25 mil in my post; I know that is more than a 10% raise. But you can't just use football money. The entire athletic department revenue is $61 million, so that is only a 10% increase in revenue overall.

Also, these aren't my numbers. The icrease in pay by moving to the Big 12 comes from the "all-knowing" WV Dude.

Also, those of you looking at this through football eyes only ("I want a seat at the big table") have got to realize the Prez and BOT do not consider football only. They will look at hard numbers and the overall impact on sports programs across the board as well as impact on academic reputation. I just don't see them looking at a measly 10% increase as being worth it.

Agreed... and all said and done $1.5M won't cover the travel

May 31, 2012, 4:43 PM

It will come in much costlier.... with extra hotel stays, eats, miscellaneous.....

Look at it this way....

May 31, 2012, 3:52 PM

would you rather eat off of KFC's menu the rest of your life or Outback?

I don't want to lose our seat at a good table.

PS-we keep eating at KFC, chicken is gonna start whoopin us on the reg.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

outback. lol***

May 31, 2012, 4:27 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAT TAX NOW!

Chophouse '47 I would consider... Outback no...***

May 31, 2012, 4:37 PM [ in reply to Look at it this way.... ]

Re: Are you saying

May 31, 2012, 3:52 PM

Yep and I think those numbers were without ND add them could be more and I want to be in a top 4 conf.

I wouldn't want to cast my lot with dependence on Notre Dame

May 31, 2012, 4:45 PM

No one knows what they will do.

Re: WV Dude says payout in Big 12 could be 6-9 mil more?

May 31, 2012, 3:53 PM

You also aren't counting the extra revenue that a Big 12 title game would entail, nor the extra money from the Big 12 / SEC Champions Game. Ends up being more than 10% across the board, even after you take the additional traveling cost into consideration (even if you ignore that we have to travel further for Pitt and Syracuse if we stayed in the ACC as is).

Oh, and this is all ignoring if they make conference championship a requirement for a playoff and Notre Dame joins the B12.

Lots of speculation on your part Den.

May 31, 2012, 4:42 PM

nm

Re: Lots of speculation on your part Den.

Jun 1, 2012, 2:22 PM

How is any of what I said speculation?

-If FSU and Clemson joined, there WOULD be a conference championship game which would be additional revenue for each school.

-The Big 12 / SEC champions game hasn't had any financials hammered out, so the payouts to schools hasn't been determined. Schools will get some cut, so there is money there.

-The ACC just expanded to NY and PA. ACC is still better for us in terms of travel, however once those two teams join it isn't nearly the advantage that it would be otherwise.

None of that is speculation, it's all fact. The Notre Dame part was, however I called that ND isn't part of the equation (yet).

over 10 years, that's $100 million

May 31, 2012, 3:54 PM

and that's using your very inaccurate information.

Go read up and get some accurate data, and come back and discuss.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: over 10 years, that's $100 million

May 31, 2012, 4:02 PM

We'd also make 4-6 mil per year on top of that extra on our tier 3 rights. Add championship game a few more million. Big12/SEC game a few more. Notre Dame a few more. The ceiling of the Big12 is far above the ACC's

Scooter, I gave you my sources for the dollar figures

May 31, 2012, 4:41 PM [ in reply to over 10 years, that's $100 million ]

What "more accurate data" do you have? Show me a link where you see the payout from the Big 12 being more than $25 million?

Not really a fair comparison***

May 31, 2012, 4:00 PM

look at it this way......

May 31, 2012, 4:01 PM

Clemson planned new/future sports facility upgrades:

new Golf Facility - $4 million
Indoor football - $10 million
Basketball practice facility - $5 million
Tennis facility - $5 million
Soccer upgrades - $6 million
Baseball stadium upgrade - $5 million
Football oculus/museum - $9 million

we can either afford to do 1-2 of these projects EVERY year with additional $10 million dollars, or do NONE of them. The Gamecocks, UGA, Auburn, etc will be able to afford them, but we won't.

What do you choose?

if you want specifics......see link

http://www.orangeandwhite.com/news/2011/jan/14/clemson-unveils-major-50-million-athletics-facilit/

Boom!

Jun 1, 2012, 2:56 PM [ in reply to look at it this way...... ]

Very simple. If we want to stay competitive in big boy football then we need the additional revenue from the Big 12 to simply keep up with the rest outside the ACC.

Agreed. I mean, who changes job for a 45% increase in pay?***

Re: look at it this way......

May 31, 2012, 4:05 PM

Yep I agree and doesnt it seem weird we plan to do all this with no more money? Or are we planing on haveing more....

May 31, 2012, 4:06 PM

basic math $23 million (lowest number I have seen) divided by 17 million (which we won't even get for 9 years) equal 35% not 10% so take the extra travel cost out 1.5 mil? that is a net gain of 25%.

So if your making $50,000 a year (no bonus) and get a offer for $62,500 a year plus bonus with more travel required you jumping then?

Michael, for about the 4th time in this thread....

May 31, 2012, 4:50 PM

Basic math is:
$6 million / $61 million = less than 10%

Re: Michael, for about the 4th time in this thread....

Jun 1, 2012, 2:44 PM

> Basic math is:
> $6 million / $61 million = less than 10%

Well you think that all this money comes from a TV contract?? So I was correcting your point more then your math. BTW you have left out all the other revenue boosts like 5 sold out football games a year as opposed to two at the most, title game revenue, and tier three rights. The six million dollars only references the difference in the TV money.

May 31, 2012, 4:18 PM

a better comparison is that you work from home 60-70% of the time. The rest of the time you have to travel to florida, boston, new york, and the nc triangle.

You're offered a 10% raise to work from home the same amount of the time, but now you'll be travelling to florida, texas, oklahoma, and west virginia.

Again, why is "The Dude" considered some sort of expert?

Jun 1, 2012, 2:51 PM

Really, I think he some sort of late 20's early 30's guy living in his parents basement .... mother screams .... "Are you on that dang (edited because this is a family site) computer again!!!????, when are you going to get a job!!!???"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For the gazillionth time, "It ain't just about the money!"***

May 31, 2012, 4:24 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Of course it is.

May 31, 2012, 4:29 PM

That and the RPI.

Re: For the gazillionth time, "It ain't just about the money!"***

May 31, 2012, 4:38 PM [ in reply to For the gazillionth time, "It ain't just about the money!"*** ]

I don't disagree. That's why people talk about academics in the Big 12 as well. Which is a major step down from the ACC. But in the long run, it's usually about money.

In both cases though (money and academics) the move doesn't make sense.

Who is this WV "Dude"?

May 31, 2012, 4:28 PM

Does he have a job?, does he sit in his parent's basement all day playing Sports Reporter?

It's all just made up numbers.....***

May 31, 2012, 4:39 PM

Re: Who is this WV "Dude"?

May 31, 2012, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Who is this WV "Dude"? ]

I don't know who he is, but some on here consider him and York something just below a prophet.

"Some" people still wear superhero underoos

May 31, 2012, 5:28 PM

A couple of the guys from York's Crew:

And yorkie, if you read this, "don't be so sensitive". It's all fun and games.

I'm sorry... since when is a 10% raise chopped liver?

Jun 1, 2012, 2:52 PM

A chance to add 10% to your revenue stream AND sure up your athletic standing in the ever-changing landscape of college football... remind me again why this is a bad thing?

null

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic