Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Need smoker recommendations please
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 781

Need smoker recommendations please

Nov 28, 2020, 8:46 AM

Threw out my ancient cheap propane smoker after doing turkey. The key overall goal is: lazy user. I want other than charcoal for simple temp control, easy to clean, decent insulation for cooler weather, and on the smaller side.

Whataya got?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me uses a CookNCajun....

Nov 28, 2020, 9:00 AM

Electric. Which is a Brinkman. Wood chips to In the center on top of lava rocks. No insulation. Just put on the meat after filling up water pan. I got a stainless steel water pan for it. Half hour cooking time per pound of meat. Meat is always juicy.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That’s similar to the ancient Brinkman I had

Nov 28, 2020, 9:23 AM

For yrs, except mine was propane. Had some trouble maintains temps in Va. not during summer. Stainless water pan is a good idea- I wrapped mine in foil for easy cleanup.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I recommend a good pellet smoker to get real wood

Nov 28, 2020, 9:05 AM

smoke with the convenience of gas.

I love my CookShack PG-500 but I bought it second hand because they are gold plated new.

Read here https://amazingribs.com/ratings-reviews-search?field_manufacturer_target_id=All&field_prod_function_tid%5B%5D=2&field_fuel_tid%5B%5D=3

See if one fits your price point. I know a lot of people that love Traeger, just be aware that their lower price models are not the same quality at all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

I wuz having a brain freeze trying to remember

Nov 28, 2020, 9:32 AM

amazingribs.com, and wasn't seeing them from googling. I'm sure there's plenty o reading there, thanks.

I only smoke a few times a year, but that may change with a better smoker. Also, I'm in the school that I may not meet competition level smoking, but following the basic concepts yields pretty good meat without cadillac equipment or intense processes.

I also have a Masterbuilt electric that I primarily use

Nov 28, 2020, 9:40 AM

for salmon that you might want to look at. They have descent insulation, basically a dorm fridge body.

I agree, if you know what you are doing, the source of heat becomes a matter of personal preference

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

yes, I have looked at one of those online, looks decent and

Nov 28, 2020, 10:41 AM

I liked the low temp ability for salmon etc.

WRONG BOARD

Nov 28, 2020, 9:25 AM

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: WRONG BOARD

Nov 28, 2020, 9:36 AM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/The-Pro-Zone-96

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pit Boss 440 pellet grill/smoker

Nov 28, 2020, 9:39 AM

https://pitboss-grills.com/wood-pellet/PB440-deluxe-pellet-grill-bundle

You could go a little more expensive if you want one with wifi.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

looks nice, I shoulda specified smoker only, I have a nice

Nov 28, 2020, 10:42 AM

Weber Genesis gas grill.

I have to go with Megan Fox.***

Nov 28, 2020, 9:53 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have to go with Megan Fox.***

Nov 28, 2020, 10:44 AM

don't get that heart pumping too hard, you might disappear for weeks again. Or longer.

Re: I have to go with Megan Fox.***

Nov 28, 2020, 10:56 AM

I knew Megan's mom and dad in highschool. Divorced now. When I get this project car finished I might disappear for a while. If you sent out a search party next time I drop off the map start the search in Rockwood.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What are you working on?***

Nov 28, 2020, 11:33 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Need smoker recommendations please

Nov 28, 2020, 10:04 AM

What you're looking for is a Traeger.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

haven't researched them yet, but from what's I've seen,

Nov 28, 2020, 10:45 AM

prolly more spendy than I want for how much I'll use it.

I am going to ditto metiger on this. I have had a very

Nov 28, 2020, 11:32 AM

inexpensive electric smoker (mine was basically a vertical metal cylinder, heating element in the bottom, grill at the top, throw wood chips on the heating element), a TEC infrared, and a Green Egg. I have done all sorts of cooking on all three. For smoking turkey, ribs or shoulder, for pure simplicity and ease, and great results, you can't beat the electric. You got heat, you got smoke. Can't tell the difference in what comes off the electric vs the Green Egg. No effort, great results, cheap. Do it, you'll love it.

I wore out the electric, and haven't replaced it only because my patio has enough stuff on it. If the Green Egg ever cracks, I'll probably buy an electric, if the TEC is still working.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My first smoker was an electric.

Nov 28, 2020, 2:39 PM

I don't know it was the outlet, extension cord, or bad elements but it just would not get hot enough. Used it twice then lamented spending that hundo.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hm. Dont know.***

Nov 28, 2020, 7:18 PM

GAYYYYYYYYYYYYY***

Nov 28, 2020, 3:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Need smoker recommendations please ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Masterbuilt MES 140 here

Nov 28, 2020, 11:09 AM

Do recommend.

Easy, cleanish, works well.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll echo TRDJ, heard good things from him on his

Nov 28, 2020, 1:39 PM

I love mine, it's big, needs a lot of attention, but I like getting away by myself, listening to music, drinking and enjoying my meat

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like how you think, but I could do all that while

Nov 28, 2020, 2:08 PM

just pretending that the smoker needed a lot of attention.

I have an Orion

Nov 28, 2020, 1:20 PM

Does a nice job and the convection effect smokes food much faster...

https://www.theorioncooker.com/

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Re: Need smoker recommendations please

Nov 28, 2020, 2:37 PM

I have this. More capacity than one could ever need without selling bbq.

https://dynaglogrill.com/product/wide-body-vertical-offset-charcoal-smoker-dgo1890bdc-d/

I like the idea of one of these, but I've already got all the smoker I need and it doesn't seem to have the same versatility. This summer I had boston butts, wings, chuck roast, and jalapeno poppers all going at the same time. I could have had some ribs in to if I'd been aiming to do ribs.

https://pitbarrelcooker.com/

If spending big money is in the budget and you want to do some cold smoke stuff, may as well look at a Trager or something to get that precise control.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 781
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic