Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
WOW. Just wow on this article.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 7,857

WOW. Just wow on this article.

Mar 1, 2017, 7:04 PM

This might be the trashiest article ever written. Seriously.

Brandon McIlwain: the latest entitled athlete to transfer schools

By Christopher Phillips -
March 1, 2017

As of Wednesday, Brandon McIlwain is no longer a Gamecock.

The sophomore announced via his Twitter feed Wednesday that he will be transferring after the spring semester. He has not made an announcement as to where he will be going.

McIlwain leaves after coming to South Carolina as a highly touted four star football prospect and a decorated baseball star as well. Brandon was projected as a high draft pick in last year’s MLB draft but decided to turn down the offer in order to attend USC.

McIlwain threw for 600 yards and ran for 127, adding four total touchdowns. In two seasons with the Gamecock baseball team he totaled 10 at bats, all coming in the 2016 season. He was yet to see the field in the 2017 campaign.

While I respect the decision by Brandon, in my opinion it just shows the latest problem in this generation of young athletes. McIlwain becomes just the latest of highly rated recruits that ran into adversity with the starting lineup and packed their bags.

Overall, I think it’s the parent’s to blame. Kids are told by their parents every single day how great they are and they can do no wrong. When you sign up to play a collegiate sport, you are guaranteed nothing. You have to fight with the man next to you for a starting position and any playing time for that matter.

As you can see from Lena McIlwain’s mother’s Facebook post back in October, it’s apparent his parents fostered Brandon and didn’t warn him he may have to actually compete for his starting QB position.

Brandon McIlwain's mother had an interesting Facebook post today.

— SportsTalk (@sportstalksc) October 18, 2016

It’s all excuses. As a parent, how can you tell your child it’s okay to quit in the midst of adversity? It’s not about the school, it’s about the kid.

You’re crippling this young man into thinking anytime he runs into an adverse situation or challenged in any way, he can quit and run home to mommy and daddy. Blows my mind. But I digress.

The thing that perplexes me most about the move is that McIlwain was just one play away from being “the guy” again for the Gamecocks. Everyone knows that injuries happen in football and McIlwain was almost a guarantee to be the back-up to Jake Bentley.

Who’s to say he couldn’t have competed and beaten Bentley out for the starting job? Unless McIlwain completely lost faith in the coaching staff and their ability to coach him, I don’t see his reasoning there. One year of competition is not enough to completely give up your chances to compete and possibly win a starting job.

This situation just shows the problem with college athletics and the transfer rules that are set out. College coaches are so scared of players transferring they are playing young men who are not ready to see the field and need years of development.

It’s not their fault though. This generation of “instant gratification” and “entitled” athletes is ruining college athletics. High school recruits walk around like God’s before they get on a college campus and do not want to work for anything. Recruits want promises of playing time and don’t want to fight in order to earn their spot on the field. And that, my friends, is a sad fact in itself.

All in all, I wish Brandon nothing but the best and many successes throughout his athletic and academic career. Maybe he’ll be handed the starting position and won’t face any adverse situations at his next school.

Forever to thee.

http://www.armchairallamericans.com/brandon-mcilwain-latest-entitled-athlete-transfer-schools/#comment-4628

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hello Brandon,

Mar 1, 2017, 7:07 PM

Meet the underside of the bus.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

No kidding

Mar 1, 2017, 7:09 PM

Blaming the parents? Really? How about blame the staff for pushing him out.

All indications were that he was a pretty humble kid and yet this guy thinks he felt entitled? Wow. He thanked them for his time there and the opportunity. It's not like he went off on some tirade and trashed the school. He even included a Bible quote in his goodbye tweet. Does that sound like some 'entitled' kid? No!

I'd love to hear his take on Clowney's SR year...***

Mar 1, 2017, 7:17 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm okay with blaming parents

Mar 1, 2017, 7:19 PM [ in reply to No kidding ]

If we're talking about Jake Bentley's dad who I'm sure made it clear to McIlwain he wouldn't play

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That was the kid's undoing. He had no chance with Bobby

Mar 1, 2017, 8:02 PM

Bentley as coach.

Re: Hello Brandon,

Mar 12, 2017, 4:05 PM [ in reply to Hello Brandon, ]

That's what you get for going to the chickens.

Ahem.....

Mar 1, 2017, 7:24 PM

"Unless McIlwain completely lost faith in the coaching staff and their ability to coach him,..."

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: WOW. Just wow on this article.

Mar 1, 2017, 7:33 PM

They flat-out lied to him.

They pressured him to enroll early...and then brought a coach's son in a year earlier than expected. At no point did McIlwain - who had been extensively courted by other programs during his senior year when the Gamecocks went 3-9 and lost to Citadel - know that Jake Bentley was coming in a year ahead of schedule. They just sorta...slipped it in on McIlwain. And then, predictably, benched McIlwain in mid-season.

His mom, predictably, was livid. Moms get that way when you lie to their faces.

Still McIlwain's fault. He should have decommited as soon as they told him Bentley was joining him.***

Mar 1, 2017, 8:31 PM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

He was already on campus when Bentley

Mar 1, 2017, 8:35 PM

decided to skip his senior year.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

You're way off...Brandon enrolled in Jan and Bentley didn't

Mar 2, 2017, 1:34 AM [ in reply to Still McIlwain's fault. He should have decommited as soon as they told him Bentley was joining him.*** ]

commit until the end of March...He had been on campus months before he knew Jake was joining him

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 1, 2017, 8:44 PM [ in reply to Re: WOW. Just wow on this article. ]

Yep exactly this. Plus Brandon never got Edwards and Whatever the other receivers name is healthy at the same time. While Jake played the easiest teams on their schedule.

Mar 12, 2017, 4:03 PM [ in reply to Re: WOW. Just wow on this article. ]

Time to ban "wow, just wow." Trite in the extreme.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ClemTigs

I don't understand the shock. He obviously isn't going to play

Mar 1, 2017, 7:35 PM

So why not transfer? I expect the same here in a year or two.

He's not playing in football or baseball

Mar 1, 2017, 10:44 PM

and to think of that MLB signing bonus he turned down to live in Columbia a year and a half. He now knows full well the chicken curse

I predict Savannah State...

Mar 1, 2017, 7:39 PM

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Savannah State predicts you***

Mar 2, 2017, 11:00 AM

Clever..

Mar 12, 2017, 3:18 AM

Can you be that way on all days that end in 'y'?

-DNT

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

If we're going to lay the blame, then blame the coaches...

Mar 1, 2017, 7:50 PM

The coaches absolutely and deliberately misled this kid.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: If we're going to lay the blame, then blame the coaches...

Mar 1, 2017, 8:17 PM

Spurrier quit in the middle of adversity.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well in fairness....

Mar 1, 2017, 10:31 PM

Spurrier already made his millions so he could walk away and retire comfortably.

Boom had nowhere else to go. Heck, he pretty much begged Tanner to hire him because he knew Auburn was about to **** can him too. Fortunately for Boom, Tanner was just as desperate since every other coach he tried to hire turned him down.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: If we're going to lay the blame, then blame the coaches...

Mar 12, 2017, 5:29 AM [ in reply to Re: If we're going to lay the blame, then blame the coaches... ]

Spurrier was responsible for the adversity , and this kid wasn't.
McIllwain is smart to bail , he has some time to play and develop elsewhere . I honestly thought he was the better of the two in our game last November , if that's any consolation.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Chrisopher needs to retake English 101***

Mar 1, 2017, 8:18 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like they say - Forever to flee.***

Mar 1, 2017, 8:24 PM

I stopped reading after writer used parent's as a plural.

Mar 1, 2017, 8:38 PM

I can stand bad writing in posts, but not in articles by people who are supposed to know better.

Re: I stopped reading after writer used parent's as a plural.

Mar 12, 2017, 5:58 AM

*post's

??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Im inclined to agree

Mar 1, 2017, 11:36 PM

Easy way out. Kid isn't starting many other places if he can't at SC

Re: Im inclined to agree

Mar 2, 2017, 11:08 AM

why would you waste the next 3 years sitting behind Bentley? Go somewhere you can play baseball and hopefully get drafted. This kid got bad advice from the beginning - no way you leave high school early. You play your senior year of high school baseball, see where you get drafted, then if you still want to go to college - go to college. He needs someone around him who has a clue.

Re: Im inclined to agree

Mar 2, 2017, 11:48 AM [ in reply to Im inclined to agree ]

Shocking that you agree with him, since you write for the same site.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Coots even hate their own players...

Mar 2, 2017, 12:04 PM

Kid got lied to by Muschump, a habit former coot Mike Davis can tell his fellow coots. He was guaranteed the starting job, and that's why he passed up on pro baseball. Kid got screwed over

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 2, 2017, 12:58 PM

I like the comments posted to that article at 12:24 today...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Replies: 31
| visibility 7,857
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic